Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 17:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

Hello theMAG,

Went through your Ownership review of Thunderbird in one go. It is indeed interesting to see a Car owner shifting to Bike (I understand traffic conditions motivated you to do so). Good to know that you are enjoying every bit of RE Thunderbird.

You have not mentioned about the fuel efficiency anywhere in this thread.

Can you please give some details of the best & worst fuel consumption figures that you managed to get? My guess is you would be getting mileage of around 40 km per litre..

Thanks,
Old 30th March 2012, 22:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello theMAG,

You have not mentioned about the fuel efficiency anywhere in this thread.

Oh, but I have! Referencing my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

Assuming all analog errors, mileage = 45 km/l +. The last I calculated, the figure I was left staring at was an all-time high of 48.5 km/l. I havent calculated since.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th March 2012 at 22:02.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 08:51   #63
BANNED

theMag, Congrats on your silver bullet , the m-o-t-o-r-c-y-c-l-e looks stunning. It's good that they now have the two flyovers ready on ORR which I think undoubtedly make you enjoy the ride all the more.

You said the breaking was little uncomfortable, you can check the same after alignment, it might have become ok now.

I am just counting on when I can lay my hands on my Classic, sooo long a wait but almost there, almost there .
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:22   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like my Thunderbird has been hit by her first electrical gremlins. A couple days back, the horns stopped working, and today, the electric start acted erratic.

Either that, or the 1-year battery has started giving away - which would be a surprise.

Could this be fuse related as well?

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd April 2012 at 15:23.
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:45   #65
BANNED

Most likely a loose fuse or wiring, could've happened during the first service!
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Either that, or the 1-year battery has started giving away - which would be a surprise.
Try and check the charge of your battery and also the water levels. Had a similar problem, and after charging the battery things are fine with my Karizma.
Old 5th April 2012, 18:24   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

1. RE service sorted this out and the ES is back - I surprisingly neglected to ask what the issue was since I had to log into an office call in front of the service station just after I took delivery!

2. The horn was confirmed to have died. Have arranged RE to set up wiring and horn with the quality straight off the system on a Classic.

I must admit they were very helpful - they suggested that I get the previous service bill since this visit was < 1 week from that, so that they can show this as repeat work and prevent me from paying anything further.
Old 5th April 2012, 22:37   #68
BHPian

Hi mag,

Even I got my hands laid on the new TBTS. I am absolutely living every moment of it . Some general questions from my end.

Can you please let me know the detailed do's and donts of the bull especially less than 2K kms.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Hi mag,

Even I got my hands laid on the new TBTS. I am absolutely living every moment of it . Some general questions from my end.

Can you please let me know the detailed do's and donts of the bull especially less than 2K kms.
The front brakes of the the TBTS are very powerful. Learn to use them properly and practise emergency braking:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-thread-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-thread-7.html

During emergency braking learn NOT to slam on the rear-brake, otherwise you will skid and fall.
Old 6th April 2012, 10:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

aravind84

DO follow the break in instructions closely.
All Royal Enfields have a touch of the old world designed into them so you need to give the various parts time to get to know each other.

DO NOT trust anyone or anything while your riding.
People, dogs, kids, goats, you name it, don't care at all about you or even know you are there (except perhaps for the dogs which will try to tear your leg off, given a chance).
Old 6th April 2012, 15:50   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post

aravind84,

1. Like suggested, proper running-in is of paramount importance and cannot be stressed enough. It is so important that it determines the quality of your engine's performance till its end-of-life.

2. Do not have anyone else ride your bike until atleast the running in is complete. Riding style has to stay constant for the best running-in quality.

3. Oil change - insist on oil change for every service, even if RE has not included it in some service. Along with proper running-in, regular oil change remains the 2nd "secret" of a great engine life.

Enjoy your royal ride!
Old 13th April 2012, 20:59   #72
BHPian

Sir I am currently undecided about the TBTS and CL350.

What is it that makes the CL350 cost a bit more than TBTS even though they have the same engine? This is what has got me in a deep ocean of doubt. I want the bike only for cruising on the highways and hill rides. And very less for city rides.

Will the TBTS serve my purpose better or the CL350? I am just waiting for opinions on both the bikes in terms of cruising capability. Then I can go ahead and book the bike. Most of my friends own the TBTS and a few own the CL350. But noone is yet able to put me in a peaceful state of mind so that I can make the right decision.

Would appreciate it if you could help me out with my decision sir.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 08:10   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I want the bike only for cruising on the highways and hill rides. And very less for city rides.

Then your choice is quite clear: Thunderbird or Classic 500. Both are perfect for highway cruising.

On another note, probably the worst nighmare of any Bulleteer came true yesterday: my TB suffered her first puncture ! This was immediately after a rough extended stretch of road. Pushed the bike for about a half-km before finding a puncture repair shop - which ironically was a Bullet repair shop as well!

I was surprised to find that there were no nails etc that had caused the puncture, but was told that lesser air pressure had caused the tube to fail at some weaker point.

Although the chap recommended I keep 40 psi all the time - which I insisted be reduced to 32 psi, moral of the story: keep your Royal Enfield's tyre pressure on the higher side when embarking on a ride known to have rough patches.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 11:20   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On another note, probably the worst nighmare of any Bulleteer came true yesterday: my TB suffered her first puncture !
Mahesh, why not use a puncture sealant (like Slime) or switch to alloy wheels and tubeless tires? One time cost and peace of mind for ever.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:50   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Mahesh, why not use a puncture sealant (like Slime) or switch to alloy wheels and tubeless tires? One time cost and peace of mind for ever.

1. Please tell me where I get this Slime. Does it work for tubes?

2. Primarily aesthetics - not sure if an alloy might fit the form on a RE like a spoked wheel does. However - if you some suitable designs in mind, do let me know !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks