Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 12:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Thanks Rahul, yes the bike is amazing but not enough. Because of what it is capable, one is left wanting for more engine power. Other than the gearbox everything else is spot on. Nothing too wrong with the gearbox but it is tuned for torque and sometimes it is out of its mind. I had tried many of the local HH service centers for the service of Pleasure. Back then I thought they don't service the automatics well but they do good job with bikes. But after having experienced their folly even with Impulse, I can't believe they are any good nor will they improve if I keep pushing them. Another problem is me! After reading many informational threads and post here, naturally my attention to details and crave for perfection increased . May be thats why HH service which is very good to any other common man appears mediocre to me.

I don't know much about what people call handle-footpeg-seating geometry but I can say those proportions are quite well designed in Impulse. Riding offroad at 60kmph while gliding over bumps doesn't unsettle this thing a bit.
On my way to office today, traffic was crawling at some particular 400 mt stretch and I could zoom past all that along the margin of the road. (lots of bumps, dirt and so no other biker is taking that line). I don't say I gained a lot of time in doing that circus but it was fun.
Ya i felt that too about power. I guess ZMA engine would have been more appropriate. I have really good experience with HH service center. Check who is service head for impulse and while giving for service insist that same guy services your bike. For both my HH bikes CBZ and ZMA, i knew the service engineers personally. I get service done by them only even if it means delays. That way they also know the service history of your bike.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:25   #47
BHPian

impulse with zma engine
niks_devil666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 23:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:

adding bigger engine on this machine will call for design changes like bigger drum brakes at rear (rear discs are generally avoided in offroad bikes), better front forks, fuel system modifications etc.,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
hero impulse 230cc - YouTube

impulse with zma engine
Hey niks_devil666, is that possible ?? It will surely make the Hero Motocorp warranty voidable after the engine change !! And as indicated by deetee before, will it not call for bigger drum brakes at the rear tyre or else the bike may become unstable ??

@deetee: I have heard a lot of complaints about the front fender; the majority of them being that it will spray water from puddles in the rainy seasons to the rider directly. Is this true ??
Additionally, if I buy this bike (most probably in the next month), will it be suitable for long tours as I am planning for a Leh-Ladakh tour with it ??
Old 10th April 2012, 16:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
@deetee: I have heard a lot of complaints about the front fender; the majority of them being that it will spray water from puddles in the rainy seasons to the rider directly. Is this true ??
Additionally, if I buy this bike (most probably in the next month), will it be suitable for long tours as I am planning for a Leh-Ladakh tour with it ??
Yes, front fender will spray a lot of dirt/muck back. May some kind of jugaad- like a short fender as shown in this pic could be fixed:
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-frontfender.jpg

and regarding leh tour, am not much knowledgeable on that topic. But from what I read people have done that even on 100-125cc street bikes. So, a 150 dual sport should be able to do it without much fuss. One thing I learnt is this bike is more an offroader than a dirt bike. In dirt, weight of the bike sometimes digs itself in.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 20:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, front fender will spray a lot of dirt/muck back. May some kind of jugaad- like a short fender as shown in this pic could be fixed.
Thanks deetee for the suggestion. I think I will have to go for some 'jugaadpanti' to get that short fender fixed from the Karol bagh area of New Delhi.

Other then that, what do you think about the video that nick posted - I mean is that modification possible without making the warranty voidable ?? And what if I ask the HM guys directly for that modification (I know that is a laughable idea but still the ZMA engine is also a HM owned engine ).
Old 10th April 2012, 23:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Other then that, what do you think about the video that nick posted - I mean is that modification possible without making the warranty voidable ?? And what if I ask the HM guys directly for that modification
Forget warranty, with an engine upgrade the bike will not even be street legal as it will void RTO registration. But mod jobs themselves are not approved neither by company nor by authorities.

Current Odo reading is 2800 Km. Waiting impatiently for second service.
These days front forks are not as fluid as they used to be new. Going the by abhinav's suggestion, I am thinking to add a few ml of fork oil to them.
And gear box is a let down. Atleast, compared to Yamaha I have been used to.
Under load, the 5th gear slips - rpm raises suddenly with a sudden power loss. Happened more than twice. And this is not a problem specific to me, cases have been reported in other forums too.
What I think is, 5th cog being an overdrive and the rear sprocket being oversized, one should not use it under loading (riding up an incline).
Thankfully no false neutrals- not even one , so far.
Old 11th April 2012, 03:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Current Odo reading is 2800 Km. Waiting impatiently for second service.
These days front forks are not as fluid as they used to be new. Going the by abhinav's suggestion, I am thinking to add a few ml of fork oil to them.
And gear box is a let down. Atleast, compared to Yamaha I have been used to.
Under load, the 5th gear slips - rpm raises suddenly with a sudden power loss. Happened more than twice. And this is not a problem specific to me, cases have been reported in other forums too.
What I think is, 5th cog being an overdrive and the rear sprocket being oversized, one should not use it under loading (riding up an incline).
Thankfully no false neutrals- not even one , so far.
What is the maximum speed you were successful in getting out of the Impulse ?? And please don't forget to mention the engine oil you are going to use after 3000kms. Is it still giving an average of 51 kmpl as once reported by you ??

After hearing about the Impulse' below par heart and gear box problem, I am now at a real tenterhooks as to whether to go for the Impulse or dish out a couple more grands and go for the Karizma R which has a more powerful heart and is also termed as one of the country's most reliable and comfortable ride. Your expert advice sought regards this issue.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
What is the maximum speed you were successful in getting out of the Impulse ??
Maximum I could clock was 105 Kmph. And there are riders reporting even 115 but I don't know how. This machine is not for top speed anyway.
Quote:
And please don't forget to mention the engine oil you are going to use after 3000kms. Is it still giving an average of 51 kmpl as once reported by you ??
Have been using Shell Ultra FS since 1500km on Odo. Smooth response and reduced engine heat are the only perceptible changes so far.
And mileage I don't think I can replicate that figure, because thats when I drove with smooth and gradual accelaration with speedo staying around 60 kmph for most part. My regular FE may be around 45kmpl.

Quote:
After hearing about the Impulse' below par heart and gear box problem, I am now at a real tenterhooks as to whether to go for the Impulse or dish out a couple more grands and go for the Karizma R which has a more powerful heart and is also termed as one of the country's most reliable and comfortable ride. Your expert advice sought regards this issue.
Buddy, Am no expert but this much I can tell you from experience.
First understand what you are going to gain and lose with this machine, understand the compromises you may have to make.
I will start with negatives:
1. Not everyone can ride as a pillion. Yes there is space for them but undesirable due to high seat and exhaust position.
2. Top whack is less than any other 150 out there.
3. No center stand-if you are planning to use bike as a daily commuter this is a big pain.
4. Availability of parts is an issue for sometime to come even with Hero workshops. If something is broken you may have to find a matching part from other hero bikes.
5. In rainy season, commuting on this can become very colorful.

Positives:
1.Excellent suspension.
2.Good riding posture- virtually fatigue free.
3.Good road grip.
4.Ground clearance, which comes handy many a times.
5. 19" front and 17" rear combo is really good and practical on our roads.

Reg Karizma vs Impulse, if you think Karizma fits your requirements (i.e., wants vs needs vs compromises ) , then you should go with it. Because, both bikes are incomparable and each has its own unique selling points.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 15:15   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Maximum I could clock was 105 Kmph. And there are riders reporting even 115 but I don't know how. This machine is not for top speed anyway.

Have been using Shell Ultra FS since 1500km on Odo. Smooth response and reduced engine heat are the only perceptible changes so far.
And mileage I don't think I can replicate that figure, because thats when I drove with smooth and gradual accelaration with speedo staying around 60 kmph for most part. My regular FE may be around 45kmpl.

Buddy, Am no expert but this much I can tell you from experience.
First understand what you are going to gain and lose with this machine, understand the compromises you may have to make.
I will start with negatives:
1. Not everyone can ride as a pillion. Yes there is space for them but undesirable due to high seat and exhaust position.
2. Top whack is less than any other 150 out there.
3. No center stand-if you are planning to use bike as a daily commuter this is a big pain.
4. Availability of parts is an issue for sometime to come even with Hero workshops. If something is broken you may have to find a matching part from other hero bikes.
5. In rainy season, commuting on this can become very colorful.

Positives:
1.Excellent suspension.
2.Good riding posture- virtually fatigue free.
3.Good road grip.
4.Ground clearance, which comes handy many a times.
5. 19" front and 17" rear combo is really good and practical on our roads.

Reg Karizma vs Impulse, if you think Karizma fits your requirements (i.e., wants vs needs vs compromises ) , then you should go with it. Because, both bikes are incomparable and each has its own unique selling points.
Thanks detee for the wise words of advice. Keep posting your experience with the Impulse as you handle it more and more.

And for creating such an illustrative and all-round review of the Hero Impulse. I think your review deserves the best review for Impulse, anywhere, anytime !! Come to think of it, I came across this review in TBHP while I was researching over the net for a practical review on the Impulse. After going through it and the overall quality of reviews in TBHP, I became so impressed that i immediately became a member of TBHP and even took part in a mega -meet held in Delhi-NCR region. All thanks to you man Keep up the good work !!
Old 20th April 2012, 21:43   #55
BHPian

Can anybody tell me if looks modification of a new bike will void the warranty of the same; I'm not talking about performance but looks modification in this case ??
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:48   #56
BHPian

thanks for the thorough review. it looks like you are able to use the bike both for commuting and for weekend trips. that seems like a big plus for the bike.
Do you think its relatively inconspicuous or does the bike get a lot of attention? also does the placement of exhaust lead to any heat issues? is it possible to fit saddle bags or a carrier box?
Old 16th October 2012, 19:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I specifically wanted this information - can saddlebags be fitted without any problems.
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:31   #58
BHPian

Just completed a solo trip from my home town Jodhpur, RJ to Goa and covered 3400 KM in 8 days which includes 1150 KM ride in a single day.

On the way back I bought a Karizma engine + Carb + CDI + Wiring + Rectifier from Mumbai which should arrive to me by next week. And within this month I will fit this on my bike.

The below are some pictures from my trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-goatrip02.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-goatrip03.jpg  

Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-goatrip01.jpg  

DesertKing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:39   #59
BHPian

deetee, you write quite well and I was glued to this thread to read your posts. I am having Impulse since Dec 2011 and done 8500 Km. Earlier it was just my weekend ride but now I am so addicted that I almost stop driving car and Gypsy since 2 months. The below are my personal experience/opinion on some of your points.

Quote:
What could have been better:
1. Engine! though capable on its own, the bike could have been damn good tourer with a bigger engine. For offroad though I think the current 150 cc mill will be ok.
Agree and thus I am planing to swap it with Karizma's 224 CC engine this month.

Quote:
2. Electricals- should have been full dc. Head light being run off alternator dims when engine idles.
Just wanted to share a Jugaad that I did on my bike. The flasher switch is on DC. So I put a push/pull button on it and now I ride the bike on dim beam with that flasher by pass switch on. Yes, this way both the filament are on and you get a very bright light that too with no issue of battery drainage. I have done many night rides and still using the original bulb with this set up. With the new upgrade on my bike, now it is going to be DC and I am planing to use brighter bulb (target is 90/100 watt).

Quote:
3. There should be at least a provision to temporarily fit a centre stand like in R15 v1.0
Agree. Needed specially when your tyre got puncture, worst if the tube to be changed.

Quote:
4. Engine becomes hot in bumper to bumper traffic, I can feel the heat it radiates. Good in winter but wonder how it will be in Summer.
I am from western Rajasthan (desert) and even done long ride in summer's afternoon hours but I never noticed this issue. So please do not worry.

Quote:
5. Torque peaks out at 5k rpm, so speedo doesn't seem to climb that fast beyond the mark.
Agree.

Quote:
6. The rear mono shock is not adjustable- I didn't find it necessary but desirable.
I find the rear suspension a bit hard for solo rides and I am dying to fix this. The back wheel of the bike jump like hell in bumps sometimes which is very scary. See the below photo. Can anybody suggest how to fix this??? Can we swap the mono shock with any other bike???

Quote:
7. Engine kill switch- didn't like this hero tradition of not providing it even on ZMR.
Earlier I was also missing this.

Quote:
8. The bottom of engine is not perfectly flat, so placing a block/flat support under it to hold the bike straight is not possible.
I was planing to put a skid plate / protector plate and yesterday only I noticed that the bottom of the engine is not flat. Worst part is that it is even slightly below the chassis. So if you hit something, chances are damage to the engine bottom. Let me see what happens after the engine swap and than I will do something with the skid/protector plat.

Quote:
9. I wish am taller
He he..

Quote:
I was comparing the grime to how a new chain looked and not with a normal chain lube Good to know that you are finding it good. I planned to lube the chain every 250km but seeing how fast am gobbling up miles, I think I can stick to 400-500km interval.
I did not lubricate it for the 3400 Km ride .

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That is the big question isn't it? Someone please take this bike to Ladakh and let us know how it does on the climbs, with a bit of luggage. I'd love to do Ladakh again, but this time with a much lighter bike than the Bullet.
On other forum, I read travelogue of guy who went upto Ladakh on a Bajaj scooter. So it is more about your strength. Gyaan apart... Nik Dev of Pune has already been to Ladakh on Impulse and you can find his post / photos on other Impulse thread.

Quote:
My review of the bike:

My first impression, honestly, is that bike looks spectacular from all angles except that huge gap between fender and front tyre.
But then, what is a dirt bike without an unobstructed front fender. However I still like and wish there is a provision to reduce that gap for road use.
I want to fix any normal plastic mudguard of any other bike and to cut it front part which is beyond the suspension set up. This way there will be no mud spray in rains. But the problem is can we get a front mudguard for 19 inch tyre. I guess Bullets have Mattel one for all the modes. Any suggestion???
Attached Thumbnails
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse)-.jpg  

DesertKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
The below are some pictures from my trip...
I like the flat pillion seat base and carrier extension. It makes hauling baggage so easy, so far I too never needed a side bag/case.

Quote:
I find the rear suspension a bit hard for solo rides and I am dying to fix this. The back wheel of the bike jump like hell in bumps sometimes which is very scary. See the below photo. Can anybody suggest how to fix this??? Can we swap the mono shock with any other bike???
Me too felt it is bit hard for solo, but then making it softer will bottom it out for an occasional pillion ride (can't help- hitch hikers on the road). May be my 2 cents, but for someone who always rides solo, tuning it should be ok. I think pulser 200NS or baby duke's monoshock can be tried for a fit.

Quote:
I was planing to put a skid plate / protector plate and yesterday only I noticed that the bottom of the engine is not flat. Worst part is that it is even slightly below the chassis. So if you hit something, chances are damage to the engine bottom. Let me see what happens after the engine swap and than I will do something with the skid/protector plat.
I want to fix any normal plastic mudguard of any other bike and to cut it front part which is beyond the suspension set up. This way there will be no mud spray in rains. But the problem is can we get a front mudguard for 19 inch tyre. I guess Bullets have Mattel one for all the modes. Any suggestion???
After the recent rains and all the mud splashing upto the battery compartment, I badly felt the need for this. Challenges in fitting a proper sump/mud guard are 1.) shouldn't obstruct airflow to engine during run. 2.) shouldn't fool with turning radius of front tyre (unobtrusive). 3.)Should be easily removable in case of the need for maintenance like that.

I thought of trying one with thin sheet metal, didn't implement yet.

A few months back, I was hit by a car at a junction. I was to go straight and car came from side, there were no traffic signals. Was very very lucky to survive with only minor injuries- helmet saved me. Bike too remarkably survived the assault with very less damage- the butterfly leg guard took all the impact, left side rear view mirror got crushed, clutch lever bent and a few scratches on front bumper and number plate.

From the look of the number plate, desertking, I guess your black beast too might have bit dust a few times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks