Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 17:32   #1
BHPian

14 years and 50k km on the 'Street'

14 years ago, I was looking forward to buy new bike as I had just sold Kawasaki RTZ that I used for almost 10 years and temporarily I was using Kinetic Honda that my sister left behind while shifting to Canada. At the same time my wife wanted to move larger vehicle from her Kinetic Pride that she was extremely unhappy with. At Hero Honda showroom I came across Street. Thinking that I will pass it on to my wife, I bought it on 30th January 1998. As my wife was not used to gears, after 2-3 days she grabbed the Kinetic Honda and declared that bike was not for her. I had no option to start using the Street. I was bit worried because of the bike's 'Non macho' image but I pulled on..

Within week's time I fell in love with the bike. Since then till date I am using it. I now feel sorry that I did not go for electric start version. 14 years and 50000 km I am on street and very happy with it. Had the model been available I would have bought it again (and this time with electric start).

The bike is beauty. It has all the convenience of a gearless scooter in the city traffic yet the power and stability of its 100 cc cousins like splendor. I have ridden all kinds of roads – city roads to highways to village roads and even fields. In all situations it has come out with flying colours. In fact I found it more stable than many 100 cc machines that I have tried. The low seating position makes the ride comfortable on highways at 80+ speed as well as in the city.

Its clutch less gear operation comes as great boon and keeps you fresh even after few hours of stop and go traffic. Over all these years it has also extended good fuel economy of 60+ km/l.

All this with very low maintenance cost. In last 14 years Apart from engine oil, I have changed –
Tyres – rear twice, front once.
Brake shoes - twice
Battery – twice
Speedo cable – Once
Speed bulb – once
Seat cover – twice.
Foot rest rubber covers - once

I have not had to change anything else on this mean machine over last 14 years. Now I am facing some little problems because of age of the motor cycle. Right side passenger foot rest opens if I hit the pothole and fork is showing some signs of leakage of fork oil.

I think this is commendable by all standards and tells how robust the machine is. The Discovery channel has rated this bike as ‘Best bike ever made’. Most of the Street owners that I came across are very happy with the bike and no one intends to sale their bike unless direct replacement with the same model is available in the market. Even those who sold their streets are now repenting their decision and want to buy one again. Our only worry is availability of spares in future. I hope there will be no shortage.

It was unfortunate that the model was discontinued in India. I believe it was marketing failure of Hero Honda. I hope Hero motocorp or Honda will come out with this bike again.
CANPUSH is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 14 years and 50k km on the 'Street'

Thanks for the review CANPUSH. Brings back memories for me.
A friend owned one, and we used to secretly take it out without his mother (it was her vehicle) coming to know about it in the afternoons , because we were only 16 . Theirs was a red ES version. I remember the gearshift being quite notchy. Was it a problem common to all Streets ?
Its really long lasting, and they still have it!
Old 31st January 2012, 16:53   #3
BHPian

Notchy gearshift must be problem only for that vehicle. Sometimes shifting down at high speeds is bit notchy but else its smooth for my bike.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

May I ask where you service yours ? At the authorised S.S. ? Or do you give it to some other mech ?
The aforementioned Street that I had referred to, has the handlebar/speedo console assembly from a black vehicle (it being red) since red wasnt available.
Old 1st February 2012, 00:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great review CANPUSH. I personally feel that the street was ahead of its time in the India market and the indian moto public was not mature enough to accept this easy to commute bike. When this bike was launched, the traffic was nowhere near as bad as it is now and hence its ease in operation never got its due credit.
for me though, This bike would be special for the reason that when I brought my two wheeler (Bajaj Saffire)it was a friends street that took me to the showroom to make the booking.. :-)
Old 1st February 2012, 15:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess this model was launched at wrong time. I had used one briefly in 2000 & it was bit difficult to get used to clutch less gearshifts and no lever on left side of handlebar.

@CANPUSH: This thread is worthless without pictures, please post few photos. And you can also mention about rotary gear system.
Old 1st February 2012, 19:44   #7
BHPian

Bikes like street are a boon for people who desire a gear less 2 wheeler. I always feel scooters are unsafe due to their small tires. Street had nice large tyres and definitely felt safer while riding.

And oh yes, please upload some pictures, it will bring back the old memories for many of us.
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
May I ask where you service yours ? At the authorised S.S. ? Or do you give it to some other mech ?
For first 3-4 years I serviced the vehicle at A. S. S. But now I do it with my neighborhood mechanic who, fortunately for me, is very senior guy and previously was famous for preparing two wheelers for races and motocross events. He respects the vehicle and never changes the part unless it is irreparable and essential. He is also resourceful to locate spares.

If you have seen the movie Viruddh it is the same workshop that features in the film.
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Street. Indeed different from all the other feline looking beasts launched around the time. Is this the bike which offered the option to come to neutral from top gear? The miles clocked seem to be reasonable too. My first bike was a Hero Honda SS that did around 27k clicks within the first year!

Oh by the way, I think I spotted you on your Street at Bhandarkar road more than a month ago. It must have been opposite HDFC bank perhaps. I was looking at the Street and after you passed by I thought I have seen this person somewhere, your thread reminded me of that spotting

We need pictures on this thread to do it justice

Edit: where is this Viruddh workshop? I havent seen that movie. Actually I cannot remember which one it is.

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd February 2012 at 17:39.
Old 19th April 2019, 13:13   #10
BHPian

Hero Honda Street spares

I am looking for oil seals for Hero Honda Street fork.

Does anyone know from where I can source them?
Old 19th April 2019, 13:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Street spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I am looking for oil seals for Hero Honda Street fork.

Does anyone know from where I can source them?
Hi, have you checked in Nana Peth? If you get it anywhere in Pune, it will be there.

Safexbikes also seems to have it in stock (i.e. if that's the part you were looking for):

https://safexbikes.com/products?vehi...+FORK+OIL+SEAL
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Street spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Safexbikes also seems to have it in stock (i.e. if that's the part you were looking for):

https://safexbikes.com/products?vehi...+FORK+OIL+SEAL
Thanks for suggestions.

I ordered from safexbikes but they sent wrong part.

Anyway, i could source it from Mumbai.

Bike is back in action.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 20:49   #13
BHPian

@CANPUSH I am currently looking for some spares for my street. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12th December 2021, 19:40   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello All, can someone help me locate the place where the Chassis / VIN number is printed on the Hero Honda Street.
Old 21st July 2022, 02:18   #15
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Last year, in November 2021, I acquired a 1998 Hero Honda Street Standard. Mechanically it is in good condition. It went through a complete engine and gearbox service last year and the guys at Service Corner, Girgaum, Mumbai did an amazing job.

My plan is to get a complete restoration job done on it. With the engine and gearbox sorted, I am left with the below :
  • Body parts - are almost impossible to source. The only way to source would be a donor Street. The current body is good, but would appreciate any clue is leads on this part.
  • Wheels are rusted so will definitely go for new Hero Honda ones. Can anyone suggest which size rims would fit the Street?
  • The tyres are old and definitely need to be changed. The original size is 2.25x17 (F) and 2.5*17 (R). I plan to do a +1 upsize. What do you suggest?
  • The front and rear suspension looks good - but i believe its at the end of its life, so probably may need replacement. Which ones would you suggest?
  • The electricals (wiring and battery) will be completely changed at the time of restoration.
  • The lights (headlights, tail lights and indicators) are original and in good condition, but would be good to keep a spare.
  • The silencer is also in good condition so nothing to do there.
  • Switchgear is a bit of a mess - but can be sorted because it's the same as the Kinetic Honda.

With all of the above in mind, I would appreciate your suggestions on what can/should I do?
Another question is since the mechanicals of the Street are very common to the CD100, does anyone know what all parts of the Street are compatible with the CD100/Splendor (engine parts, exhaust, suspension, wheels etc).

Appreciate all your help through this restoration. Thanking you all in advance and I will keep you posted with updates on a regular basis.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks