Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:29   #1
BHPian

Bullet Engine in the Bajaj Avenger's Frame?

Hi

I've been toying with the idea of putting a Bullet 500 engine in my Avenger 200 frame.
Not sure if it's possible or not. I know the rear wheel would change and the engine mount would have to have some modding done to accomodate it. Just want to know if anybody's tried it before.

Why?
Cos I want to mod it up to a higher cc engine. Plus the Thump sound. And paint it all black with silver/chrome highlights.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet Engine in Avenger Frame

Bullet engine is a wee bit taller. Try to find out the height from the bottom of the crankcase to the top of the head to see if it fits, if not you will have to make space for it by modifying the frame. Then you've got to see if the avenger frame has enough space for the bullet gearbox once the engine is in. This is a substantial mod and needs skilled labour and know how. If you got the means to do it sure go ahead.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why not buy a used 500 and it should be good ? .The cost involved will be higher than the cost of second hand 500 or even a new one . You will not know the reliablity after the mod is done.
You will be screwing up 2 different bikes .Need to take care of paper work .Is will not be legal .
Not worth it .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:04   #4
BHPian

Raceconcepts do reboring of pulsar 220 to250. That might suit your need.
saargoga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:29   #5
BHPian

hmm thats some work to do. possible? yes, it's all up to your endurance levels. Be ready to stretch, widen & loop the frame to contain the engine-g'box assy. Get a spare frame & old engine cases for mock up instead of chopping up a runner. keep us posted, cheers..
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:37   #6
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

The bullet chassis uses the engine as a stressed member of the bike's frame. The avenger's engine is mounted on the frame with bolts. You get what i'm saying??

If you are going to adopt the same philosophy for your avenger, that will mean chopping the frame and welding mounting points on the frame to accommodate the engine. I heavily advise against doing so. On the contrary if you want th frame to be intact then you will have to weld mounting points on the crank case of th engine which is again dangerous as you will be creating local thermally stressed spots on the engin's crank case.

In bioth the cases you will have to reinforce the chassis to bear the heavier engine and vibrations associated with it. In any case you might end up with a bike which handles poorer than a unicycle.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 05:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

I believe what Tgo is saying is perfect, the heavier engine and the vibrations of a Bullet engine would be too much for Avenger to handle over long periods of time and eventually it will create only nightmares for you. Also welded joints are never very strong and give away after heavy use.

Why dont you consider buying a used/new Bullet instead. It will be cheaper and simpler then Cost+Pain in the mod.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
The bullet chassis uses the engine as a stressed member of the bike's frame. The avenger's engine is mounted on the frame with bolts. You get what i'm saying??

If you are going to adopt the same philosophy for your avenger, that will mean chopping the frame and welding mounting points on the frame to accommodate the engine. I heavily advise against doing so. On the contrary if you want th frame to be intact then you will have to weld mounting points on the crank case of th engine which is again dangerous as you will be creating local thermally stressed spots on the engin's crank case.

In bioth the cases you will have to reinforce the chassis to bear the heavier engine and vibrations associated with it. In any case you might end up with a bike which handles poorer than a unicycle.
Hi

I see what you mean... and welding anything onto that engine would look ugly, plus i'd have to figure out how to connect the other mount points on the engine which act as the Bullet's frame inside the Av frame.

So the only option is to chop up an Av frame...
the more i compare the two frames, the more difficult it seems. would be easier to mod a bullet to stretch it out.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:53   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I believe what Tgo is saying is perfect, the heavier engine and the vibrations of a Bullet engine would be too much for Avenger to handle over long periods of time and eventually it will create only nightmares for you. Also welded joints are never very strong and give away after heavy use.

I dont know what welding are you talking about, but automobiles all over the world have chassis with several welded joints. Infact almost all vehicles have there suspension brackets welded to chasis,brackets that support the whole weight of the vehicle. even the high performance motorcycles have welded joints in there swingarms for wheel axel brackets.

Its about the design of welded joint,not about the actual weld. welds are stronger than the parent metal while they are under compressive load,are pretty good under tension aswell. not so good under torsion and angular loads.
so its about how good the design of the joint is.

Anyway,engine you are thinking about is not much of an upgrade .consider that its own weight is almost 2.5-3 times the avenger motor.

either make your avenger lighter,or go for a secong hand 500.
Old 13th March 2012, 05:50   #10
BHPian

Re: Bullet Engine in the Bajaj Avenger's Frame?

I have an Impulse and wanted to fit ZMA's 220 engine on it (no immediate plan though). What is your opinion on this modification.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:09   #11
BANNED

I m sorry my frd.i have no idea about engine specs and there curves for either of these two bikes. If you are looking for an offroading bike-front forks are the key. Try better and wider (wider steering stem) forks with higher damping and longer travel.you can experiment with fork oil density, mixing a few and coming up with your own blend. If you can find rd350 motor that would be great with a bigger rear sprocket.
Old 9th May 2014, 18:03   #12
BHPian

Re: Bullet Engine in the Bajaj Avenger's Frame?

Bumping up an old thread.

I've been toying with the idea of increasing the height of my Avenger. I have already put Pulsar 220 shocks in the rear and the height has increased by 2" or so. Has anyone upsized the rear rim from 15" to 17"or 18" on an avenger? How about using Enfield's rear and front rims on the Avenger?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks