Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 12:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Felt like an Emperor - My Classic Desert Storm

Pic of ONE RIDE by RE on 1st april
Attached Thumbnails
Felt like an Emperor - My Classic Desert Storm-528962_375752392459684_100000747797795_1230804_1870220038_n.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2012, 10:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have now changed my exhaust from Sans Monster to black powder coated Sans Megaphone, it gave a somewhat new look to my desertstorm, as per the performance the thump has got more bass.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
it gave a somewhat new look to my desertstorm, as per the performance the thump has got more bass.
Upload the pics bro, any difference in performance in terms of pick-up or mileage between the 2 ?
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Upload the pics bro, any difference in performance in terms of pick-up or mileage between the 2 ?
surely will do the same over the weekend ASAP, for the mileage part it is too early to comment and performance looked almost same to me as compared to monster, the shape and black color are the only two things which are catchy as of now

An Update:

I had my second service of DS500 done yesterday at 2300 km, Got engine oil and filter replaced wherein the RE does not recommend that in second service,
apart from that it was a normal service, just got my megaphone fitted.

Since my early days of Desert storm riding, i found that the standard handlebar is not very comfortable, I am thinking of replacing that with a Electra handlebar, the only hitch is that electra handlebar does not compliment the looks of DS as good as the standard one
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:27   #80
BHPian

I heard someone quoting in CL 500 thread, the CL 500 now comes with a raised handle bar which is slightly shorter than the Electra's but improves riding comfort. Maybe you can try the same.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I heard someone quoting in CL 500 thread, the CL 500 now comes with a raised handle bar which is slightly shorter than the Electra's but improves riding comfort. Maybe you can try the same.
I have that handlebar only since all 500 are coming with this one and only 350 classic are still coming with that low UK style handlebars but still that is not too much comfortable atleast not for me at a height of 6'2"
Old 4th May 2012, 09:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

Has any of the enfield owner has thought of installing a belt drive just like HD in RE instead of chain sprockets, I came across one such RE City Bike where the guy has removed the chain sprocket and installed the Belt drive, it looked good and will have more life over the former. It costed some where around 10000 to him for the complete installation
Old 4th May 2012, 11:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

It is possible if the right sized parts are found but those drive belts are not without their problems if they are not done right.

When Harley Davidson first put them into production there were all sorts of wear problems that crawled out of the woodwork. It took Harley some time to learn the correct way to use these belts.

That said, if someone is going to install an unprooven drive belt system on their RE they may have more than their share of problems before they get it working right.

Speaking of the final drive chain on my USA export Royal Enfield G5, I had adjusted it twice after getting the bike. At 3700 miles (5953 km) it had developed a large amount of side play in addition to its stretching to the point that it again needed adjusting. Although I'm sure it would have lasted for another 2000 miles (3220 km) before it was totally trashed I decided to buy a new chain.

Because I've used them in several machines I've designed I choose to buy a Diamond brand chain which is made in the USA.
I found a replacement chain that was the correct 530 size but it came with 102 links instead of the 101 links my original chain had.
I found that the 102 link chain works fine with the 17 tooth drive sprocket that the G5 comes with for its 19 inch wheels.
After over 1200 miles (1931 km) my new chain still doesn't need to be adjusted.

My new Diamond chain cost me $70 (3500 r) and at the rate it's going it will last at least 20,000 miles (32180 km) before it needs replacing.

To me, it makes far more sense to spend less than half as much as some unproven drive belt system would cost to buy a high quality chain and be done with it.

I'm pretty sure Diamond brand chains are not available in India but I've heard that several South Korean chains like "D.I.D." are very good and even paying the high import tariff that India charges would still be less expensive than a belt conversion.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 4th May 2012 at 11:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 12:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Jim we get Diamond chain kits in India. They along with Rolon are the two most common after market chain suppliers here.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:22   #85
Senior - BHPian

Can't edit my previous post now, so here is the link -

TIDC India - India / SAARC Brand - Automobile Chains - Motorcycle Drive Chains
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

thanks for all the necessary inputs, i will surely check twice before going for this modification. i will also check the RE bike fitted with belt drive once
Old 5th May 2012, 04:49   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the link.
I see they list the correct chain size for a Royal Enfield as a J530.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
surely will do the same over the weekend ASAP, for the mileage part it is too early to comment and performance looked almost same to me as compared to monster, the shape and black color are the only two things which are catchy as of now

An Update:

I had my second service of DS500 done yesterday at 2300 km, Got engine oil and filter replaced wherein the RE does not recommend that in second service,
apart from that it was a normal service, just got my megaphone fitted.

Since my early days of Desert storm riding, i found that the standard handlebar is not very comfortable, I am thinking of replacing that with a Electra handlebar, the only hitch is that electra handlebar does not compliment the looks of DS as good as the standard one
The ds really is a beaut.My current ride is 220.I will be going for a cl 500,most prolly dessert storm.Can you please post the pics of the megaphone,as thats the first mod i intend to do once i get the c500
Old 7th May 2012, 10:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
The ds really is a beaut.My current ride is 220.I will be going for a cl 500,most prolly dessert storm.Can you please post the pics of the megaphone,as thats the first mod i intend to do once i get the c500
I will surely post the snaps over the weekend or before if possible, I will suggest that do not go for after market exhaust till the first service is done
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 19:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Snap of megaphone exhaust

Name:  ForumRunner_20120510_194331.png
Views: 4095
Size:  478.3 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks