Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 15:19   #46
BHPian

re: The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I got the tank pad.

Thank you for the suggestion. Looks very good, I also think since this is made of a hard quality plastic (as compared to others) - this shall last longer. But i got it for Rs.628.

The mechanic at the dealer showroom has stuck it almost 5-10mm on the left which i can notice when i run my fingers around the edges. But a friend of mine suggested that its not noticeable and I should just let it be.
Superb. Glad you like it although I wonder why this price difference. I agree about the quality of the tank pad; it is top notch which made me again smile being associated with Yamaha.

I put the tank pad myself after taking it home taking all the time possible. If the difference is hardly noticeable, I think it's good to be left alone.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

A well deserved 5 stars for a such well written and detailed review of your bike.

I rode the R15, just once. As rightly pointed out by you, in 10 mins, my wrists started paining.

But the engine is smooth and the bike looks good.

Wish you the very best and many many miles.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 15:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
If the difference is hardly noticeable, I think it's good to be left alone.
well, it is not noticeable to others, but now that I have noticed it once - i notice it daily.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:51   #49
BHPian

Quote:
well, it is not noticeable to others, but now that I have noticed it once - i notice it daily.
That's the problem with perfectionists Taking it out and putting it back again is not a good option. I would suggest you to keep it as it is.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
That's the problem with perfectionists Taking it out and putting it back again is not a good option. I would suggest you to keep it as it is.
Yes. I plan to do so. I shall put up a new one after monsoons mostly. (if it lasts till then).

I am now planning to get my alloys painted in gold.
Look at the picture below for example. I had done the same thing on my RTR 180 as well.

The Yamaha R15 2.0 Ownership Report. Update: 30,000 kms-98284410.jpg
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I am now planning to get my alloys painted in gold.
Look at the picture below for example. I had done the same thing on my RTR 180 as well.

Attachment 885018
This will go well with the Black R15. Looking forward to the completion.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
@ Parrys

Congratulations on your R15. Looks really neat.

I am on the verge of getting a new bike for myself and am confused between the R15 2.0 and CBR 250. Now I have my eyes on the Pulsar 200NS as well. I noticed in the pictures that one of your friends have a CBR. How does the R15 perform against it ? Is there a huge difference in performance between the two ? Please do let me know.
A difference between the CBR 250R and a R15 2.0.
Well a CBR accelerates super quick as compared to the R15. Its obvious isnt it.
More cubic capacity, more power. But the R15 looks better, i hope people would agree to this.

Even I had loved the CBR for its VFM - The Ninja being so overpriced the CBR has a great opportunity to capture the 250cc market. I did not go for it since I am a bit scared now, had an accident on my RTR 180 in 2010 and now wish to stay off speeding. You might say that its in my hand whether to speed up or not; but hey...if I have a 250cc between my legs i'm for sure going to revv it hard.

So, The Pulsar 200NS looks promising as of now. But i would not comment on its abilities before i take it for a spin. And the rear on the 200NS is ugly. (135LS like).

Now it depends on what you want to buy. Looks = R15. Power = CBR 250R as of now. Both perform well with whatever they have to offer. One point I would bring to your notice is that the riding position on the CBR is not as sporty as the R15, but is comfortable. If you have read this review, i have mentioned how painful it gets on the new R15 after a short ride.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A difference between the CBR 250R and a R15 2.0.
=======
If you have read this review, i have mentioned how painful it gets on the new R15 after a short ride.

Thanks for the reply. The R15 2.0 definitely looks good. Personally I hated the old one, found it to be too small. However the new one is way better.

I am a very careful rider myself but do have occasional tendencies to open the throttle. I sometimes go for long rides during the weekend as well. Therefore the CBR seems a better option, however the price is also a factor since it is 50% more expensive than the R15. So am in two minds if its worth it.

P.S. The gold rims look really good but make sure to have the lettering/emblem colored gold as well.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The R15 2.0 definitely looks good. Personally I hated the old one, found it to be too small. However the new one is way better.

I am a very careful rider myself but do have occasional tendencies to open the throttle. I sometimes go for long rides during the weekend as well. Therefore the CBR seems a better option, however the price is also a factor since it is 50% more expensive than the R15. So am in two minds if its worth it.

P.S. The gold rims look really good but make sure to have the lettering/emblem colored gold as well.
Well the price is not as expensive for a CBR as you are claiming it to be.

My R15 on road Thane (octroi paid) was : INR 123,000
The CBR will cost around 1.65-1.69 on road in my city. So the difference is justified with the power you will benefit from.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My R15 on road Thane (octroi paid) was : INR 123,000
The CBR will cost around 1.65-1.69 on road in my city. So the difference is justified with the power you will benefit from.
Calcutta doesn't have Octroi so I assume the R15 to be comparatively cheaper here however the CBR ABS is 1.8L on road, so around 60k more expensive. The STD is around 1.55L though.

By the way, the R15 has a two limited editions out, a WGP Anniversary one and a Fiery Red one. Looks nice in pictures, not sure how they would be in reality.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:38   #56
BHPian

Awesome review. It was made even better by the number of pictures added by you. You've really gone to the details.

I am looking out for a bike for my daily commute to office and R15 is in the final list of contenders. But I just have one question for the owners - How is the smoothness?

I like to rev the engine really high and would be like to go on long drives. Hence, will be clocking up kms fast. Now that you've driven this bike for 4000 kms, you would be in a better position to elaborate on this. Is it comparable to the Hondas? If it is not the R15, then it would be the Honda CBR250 R, for sure.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
But I just have one question for the owners - How is the smoothness?
If your definition of smoothness is vibration free ride, then have no fears. In the ride on a test machine, on the v1.0, it was revving freely without vibes till 8k RPM. Did not have enough road to take it beyond.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Calcutta doesn't have Octroi so I assume the R15 to be comparatively cheaper here however the CBR ABS is 1.8L on road, so around 60k more expensive. The STD is around 1.55L though.

By the way, the R15 has a two limited editions out, a WGP Anniversary one and a Fiery Red one. Looks nice in pictures, not sure how they would be in reality.
The WGP Anniversary edition (White) looks very cool in person, unlike the Fiery Red with over-dramatic tribal/flame graphics which looks stupid and a bad sticker job. Though both will find its respective buyers all around the country. The white WGP edition, one can easily mistake it to be an R1. (Just for the looks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Awesome review. It was made even better by the number of pictures added by you. You've really gone to the details.

I am looking out for a bike for my daily commute to office and R15 is in the final list of contenders. But I just have one question for the owners - How is the smoothness?

I like to rev the engine really high and would be like to go on long drives. Hence, will be clocking up kms fast. Now that you've driven this bike for 4000 kms, you would be in a better position to elaborate on this. Is it comparable to the Hondas? If it is not the R15, then it would be the Honda CBR250 R, for sure.
I myself use the R15 for daily rides to the office and a few kms more later in the evening. So in a day i ride almost 80-90 kms. The ride is very smooth and its a free revving engine. It pulls relentlessly till the 10,000 rpm mark. For long bike rides, and especially around the corners, there is no other bike in this price bracket which handles as beautifully as the R15. The bike manages to give a FE of a little above 40 kmpl with decent high revving and highway cruising. The gearshifts are slick and you will not face in false shifting. (I faced it in my Apache RTR 180 - 2010). And the CBR is also a decent contender for long rides. But it depends on how you want to sit on the bike. If you want the tourer like riding position - its the CBR for you. But if you are looking for a race-track like forward bending sporty riding position, go for the R15 2.0.

Now, I would also suggest you to test the KTM Duke (if you are ok with a naked bike). I have been hearing from friends who have taken a test ride that the duke has a brilliant initial acceleration backed up with a grunty exhaust note.
Old 10th February 2012, 02:04   #59
BHPian

Good work with the initial impressions, Parrys. You would love it even more for every passing kilometer. I am a fan of R15's dynamic abilities. If Yamaha drops a 250cc motor in that chassis, it is definitely going to be next bike. Hope, they do it sooner than later.

Being a RTR owner myself, and having ridden the R15 for thousands of kilometers, I think performance-wise, both the bikes are evenly matched. Keeping the tech-wizardry, handling and looks aside, don't you miss the sheer madness of the RTR? I know... but just want to know how do you compare both the bikes in terms of lunacy or character?
Old 10th February 2012, 09:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Being a RTR owner myself, and having ridden the R15 for thousands of kilometers, I think performance-wise, both the bikes are evenly matched. Keeping the tech-wizardry, handling and looks aside, don't you miss the sheer madness of the RTR? I know... but just want to know how do you compare both the bikes in terms of lunacy or character?
I sorely miss my RTR. Every time i revv up my R15, it reminds me of the exhuast note the RTR had and the R15 is just not matching up to it. The initial acceleration on the RTR and the nimble handling abilities in traffic are unmatched with the R15. Since the R15 being a fully faired bike, you cant maneuver it like the RTR around the city. Comparing both bikes is unfair I suppose, both the bikes have their independent abilities / features which the other cant.

R15
  • Outstanding handling around the corners.
  • Looks.
  • Vibration free ride. (refined motor)

RTR
  • The super audible and enjoyable Exhaust note.
  • The Speedo has so much to offer.
  • Petal Disc brakes.
  • Easy to handle around in city limits. (changing lanes)
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks