Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 15:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Avenger 200 ownership review at 50,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Also the seller mentioned that the fuel gauge in all Avengers is faulty and shows wrong readings.is this true?
I'm not sure why but the fuel gage on my bike works in sink with the Speed of the bike.

The needle shows correct (I guess) when the bike is still, moves towards the right/increases when I give acceleration and reduces/moves back to the old position when I reduce the speed. I may be paranoid but I feel they connected it to the wheel

I showed it to the friendly neighbor "Bajaj service center" and they said "welcome to the club".
Old 28th June 2012, 16:02   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
Hi ! Guys, My Avenger 180 has completed 6 yrs, will post some pics soon. Good Cruiser bike on the highways.

I am planning for few mods to give it a fresh look, await suggestions from fellow owners.
Hi ,
I too have a 6 year old Avenger 180. It's given me no major trouble so far. I have only run 16-17 k km. Seeing your intent to refresh the bike , i am reconsidering disposing it off. Dont think I will get more than Rs 25000 if I sell.
Do you recommend a refurbishment or sell it and buy the 220 model.
Need your advice on how much should I spend on refurbishment. I am not into mods and kits etc. I just want it to be mechanically and electrically sound for another 5 years...or is that too much to ask of it?
Old 29th June 2012, 21:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hi ,
i am reconsidering disposing it off. Dont think I will get more than Rs 25000 if I sell.
Do you recommend a refurbishment or sell it and buy the 220 model.
Need your advice on how much should I spend on refurbishment. I am not into mods and kits etc. I just want it to be mechanically and electrically sound for another 5 years...or is that too much to ask of it?
I ride my bike hardly 3-4 days/month that too not more than 20-25 kms, but still there is a passion that pushes me to keep it in good condition. I recently got the battery replaced. I am planning for some small mods.

Replacing rear light and mudguard with bullet parts.
Front head lamp replaced with a bigger one.
Get some chrome work redone.
The estimate for this is around 3500 INR.

In case you ride your bike regularly then it makes sense to dispose this off and buy a new one. But consider the Bullet RE instead of again going for the Avenger 200.
Old 1st July 2012, 21:56   #19
BHPian

Hi T-BHPians and Avenger owners,
Have any of you noticed 'misting' inside the fuel guage when you top up petrol in the bike. The Service Station could not fix the problem. The 'misting' mysteriously dissapears once the level in the tank drops to 3/4th. I removed the panel from above the tank, but could not find any way of moisture getting into the guage. Only a wire leads to the tank. No direct connection. The bike in question is an Avenger 200. Any ideas ?
That apart, I have been loving riding the bike.
Recently went on a 4 day road trip along with 4 RE bullets. The drive was very enjoyable and the Avenger had no problems in coping up with the REs or rather, the REs had no problems coping up with the Avenger.
Old 12th June 2013, 20:42   #20
BHPian

Hello all Avenger owners! I am happy to join the Avenger club ;-)
I wish I could write a detailed review on my experience but not sure where to start or which thread to post.

Meanwhile...
1. Have any of your have this 'whizzing' or 'whirrring' kinda of noise when you decelerate. I mean, you rev the bike even on idle and when you let go of the throttle, the bike starts decelerating and this noise comes along with it. (Am I expressing myself clearly???)

2. There is this grinding or rattling kind of noise on the left foot rest which I can feel. I am most positive that it is from chain. I lubed the chain after tightening it. Still it persists. The rubber damper or guard has marks/impressions of chain on it. Are the sprockets gone already at 32k on odo?

3. Can somebody suggest a good patch work apart from painting for a peeled of area just above the tail lamps?

Thanks in advance all and drive safe!
Old 13th June 2013, 09:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post

Meanwhile...
1. Have any of your have this 'whizzing' or 'whirrring' kinda of noise when you decelerate. I mean, you rev the bike even on idle and when you let go of the throttle, the bike starts decelerating and this noise comes along with it. (Am I expressing myself clearly???)

2. There is this grinding or rattling kind of noise on the left foot rest which I can feel. I am most positive that it is from chain. I lubed the chain after tightening it. Still it persists. The rubber damper or guard has marks/impressions of chain on it. Are the sprockets gone already at 32k on odo?

3. Can somebody suggest a good patch work apart from painting for a peeled of area just above the tail lamps?

Thanks in advance all and drive safe!
You mentioned 32K, is yours a new bike or you bought it long back ?

1. I can't completely understand. But when I decelerate from above 60, there is a distinct hum. This was there in my previous Pulsar 180 also.

2. Check and lube both front and the rear sprocket. Is the sound continuous or happens at intervals. I had a click noise every 2 minutes and later I found that the chain link is fouling with the chain guard. The link was changed to the inner side of the chain and the sound is gone now. You could get this checked too.

3. You can get T-BHP stickers
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 04:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
You mentioned 32K, is yours a new bike or you bought it long back ?
It is pre-owned bike.

Quote:
1. I can't completely understand. But when I decelerate from above 60, there is a distinct hum. This was there in my previous Pulsar 180 also.
Imagine the bike is at idle. I race the throttle upto 3k RPM and when I let go off the throttle there seems to be a humming or whining noise as the RPM reduces. My mechanic says it is the timing chain noise and it absolutely fine.

Quote:
2. Check and lube both front and the rear sprocket. Is the sound continuous or happens at intervals. I had a click noise every 2 minutes and later I found that the chain link is fouling with the chain guard. The link was changed to the inner side of the chain and the sound is gone now. You could get this checked too.
The noise is relational to the speed of the bike. Can you please shed little more light on this 'chain link' and on the one in bold above?

Quote:
3. You can get T-BHP stickers
That is a good idea. I will check if it fits the area.

I also found that the engine kind of misses at idle. The mechanic says there is no spark on the right plug and that the CDI could be faulty. But I strongly feel that the timing chain needs adjustment plus the ignition coils may need replacement. Any suggestions?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 14th June 2013 at 04:49.
Old 14th June 2013, 10:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
It is pre-owned bike.

Imagine the bike is at idle. I race the throttle upto 3k RPM and when I let go off the throttle there seems to be a humming or whining noise as the RPM reduces. My mechanic says it is the timing chain noise and it absolutely fine.
The noise that you say seems strange. Also, how do you know the RPM without a tacho.

Quote:
The noise is relational to the speed of the bike. Can you please shed little more light on this 'chain link' and on the one in bold above?
I can only think of sprockets or the bush which is near the joint of swing arm + wheel hub + sprocket.

Quote:

I also found that the engine kind of misses at idle. The mechanic says there is no spark on the right plug and that the CDI could be faulty. But I strongly feel that the timing chain needs adjustment plus the ignition coils may need replacement. Any suggestions?
All these sound premature for a 32K bike. Was it abused so much by the previous owner?

Which part of chennai are you from. I can recommend a mechanic who has helped me solve complex niggles for the last 3 years. One visit to him and he should be able to at least diagnose. Do let me know
Old 15th June 2013, 07:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I can only think of sprockets or the bush which is near the joint of swing arm + wheel hub + sprocket.
I will check that. In fact I'm going to take care of this today.

Quote:
All these sound premature for a 32K bike. Was it abused so much by the previous owner?
The bike is indeed a pre owned piece. However, the engine is completely reworked - bore, piston/ring kit, timing chain, clutch, etc., etc., at some A.S.S recently.

I guess the bike has to be run in. I changed the oil to Motul w50 and filled in 1200 ml of oil though local mech insisted on just 1lt oil. Is that good enough?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 15th June 2013 at 07:50.
Old 6th July 2013, 08:17   #25
BHPian

***UPDATE***
Quote:
Mech says this is from timing chain and valves and this is perfectly fine. Keep riding and come back after doing 2000kms run in. Little apprehensive on this though!!!!

Quote:
Chain and sprocket set replaced at cost of 1400/- (appx). Noise completely vanished. Using chain lube spray now. A grinding sensation felt only while slowing down unlike earlier where it was grinding all through the drive. Guess I need to change the chain guard?

Quote:
The bike is repainted on the tank, rear fender and shields. Awaiting for stickers to arrive. Some say do a clear coat after stickering and some say it is not necessary. If I do not do a clear coat then while polishing or waxing the border lines of sticker might have smudges I guess. Kinda confused.

Apart from the above, restored the chrome shine on most parts using chrome shiner product (Brasso), changed the color of odo, fuel gauge and indicators warning lamps on petrol tank cowl to red color and cleaned the spokes on wheels to get that shine while driving which I have now.

I still need guidance on installing Bullet electra's or Classic 350's silencer on Avenger plus information on rear shocks! Please guide me here.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 6th July 2013 at 08:21.
Old 17th July 2013, 06:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
The speedometer which I installed recently is sluggish. It does not show correct speed. But i am not doing anything about it now because of lack of time. Will try to get it fixed at the next service.
Hi highway_star, what did you do about the speedometer fix. The one on my bike is showing wrong reading and does not go beyond 35kmph (reading). Please help!
Old 17th July 2013, 21:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi highway_star, what did you do about the speedometer fix. The one on my bike is showing wrong reading and does not go beyond 35kmph (reading). Please help!
I had purchased the speedometer from the A.S.S. and installed it myself. When I showed them the problem on my next visit they said that since it is not installed by them they are not responsible. So I guess there is nothing to be done about it now.
highway_star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 01:01   #28
BHPian

Speedometers are repairable just like a new one. And there are professionals who open and seal intricate speedo components as if its never opened. My Pulsar's digital speedometer was dead when I bought it, a small Rs 5 resistor was short. Replaced it and viola! Started again. Needle type speedos are not that complicated.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
I had purchased the speedometer from the A.S.S. and installed it myself. When I showed them the problem on my next visit they said that since it is not installed by them they are not responsible. So I guess there is nothing to be done about it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Speedometers are repairable just like a new one. And there are professionals who open and seal intricate speedo components as if its never opened. My Pulsar's digital speedometer was dead when I bought it, a small Rs 5 resistor was short. Replaced it and viola! Started again. Needle type speedos are not that complicated.
Thank you very much for the response.

The good news is that the speedometer successfully stopped working permanently. The needle would not cross beyond 20kmph and then the odometer showed half the distance traveled after which it stopped permanently yesterday. I am not sure if it is coma stage or dead already.

Hmm...A new tacho costs 900/- plus taxes.

BTW, any pointers on a grinding sensation on left footpegs while decelerating or braking? FYI. I've replaced the chain and sprocket set, rubber dampner inside the rear hub and the chain guard/drive on the stay. Am I missing something else? Please point gentlemen. This is the only issue on the bike that is driving me crazy
Old 21st July 2013, 13:13   #30
BHPian

Put the bike on main stand and hold the rear tire diagonally and see if there is play. Slightest play and your wheel bearing is gone. Hold on the rear axle bolt and nut, sideways, if there is play or little displacement, your swing arm bushes need attention.
dr.faramroze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed