Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 22:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which of the New Age Two Wheelers Have the Inherent Charecters to Become A Classi

I think we should make a distinction between collectible, object of lust, and important/ necessary to complete a collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow BSA Bond, would you have any literature on that please? Guess those days BSA Bond & Falcon were supposed to be hot birds.
The BSA Bond was a teeny weeny almost moped. (The Bond name came from Brooke Bond, the tea company!) However, it would do a wheelie if you leaned back. (As found out embarrassingly by one of our better known auto magazine editors)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th February 2012, 19:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Which New Age Two Wheelers have the inherent characteristics to become a Classic?

Sorry folks, I think we are deviating from the topic: Which of the New Age Two Wheelers Have the Inherent Charecters to Become A Classic? The bikes discussed here like RD 350, RE 350, BSA, Bajaj scooters etc are Vintage stuff now and not New Age Two wheelers !

So tell me which of the present era bikes- Pulsars, Unicorns, RE UCE 350s, etc can become a Classic tomorrow?

regards

san
Old 16th February 2012, 21:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which New Age Two Wheelers have the inherent characteristics to become a Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Sorry folks, I think we are deviating from the topic: Which of the New Age Two Wheelers Have the Inherent Charecters to Become A Classic? The bikes discussed here like RD 350, RE 350, BSA, Bajaj scooters etc are Vintage stuff now and not New Age Two wheelers !

So tell me which of the present era bikes- Pulsars, Unicorns, RE UCE 350s, etc can become a Classic tomorrow?

regards

san
Actually, here in India the classifications have sub-divided the classic era post-1960 period into a new era (1960-1975) termed as the New Indian Classics.
Vintages stand to be the ones made before the advent of WW II taken as 1937 (cut off year viz. 31/12/1937).The classics come thereafter and continue till 1960 for most Indian true blue Club and Rally classifications.The true blue Clubs and Rally's do not entertain anything post 1960 as classics. But now a new 1960-75 (New Indian Classics) classification is fast emerging. Rallies in metros and big cities do not recognize any New Indian Classic category.
So we can discuss anything post 1975 as New Age here, including the Pulsars, RD 350, BSA Bonds and so on.The range of this thread should ideally be for two wheelers 01/01/1976 till present day (imports excluded).

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th February 2012 at 21:13.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 22:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
The true blue Clubs and Rally's do not entertain anything post 1960 as classics.
So we can discuss anything post 1975 as New Age here, including the Pulsars, RD 350, BSA Bonds and so on.The range of this thread should ideally be for two wheelers 01/01/1976 till present day (imports excluded).
Thanks for the clarification on this front. I too had the same doubt/confusion.
Old 17th February 2012, 00:33   #20
BHPian

the original pulsars for one.

The CBZ perhaps for showing us that there is a market for performance oriented bikes and being i think the first hero honda to succeed without a cub derived mill.

The HH CD100/SS. the present day engines in all 100~125 cc hero bikes still follow the same old engine template. It is this engine that powered then hero honda to a world number one beyond honda. It was also the original fill it, shut it, forget it bike.

This next one is more due to the nostalgia attached to it than any other reason. The rajdoots with the swing arm in the front. I am still looking for one. If anyone knows of one for sale, in any condition do let me know. My uncle had one, gave it away a few years back when i was posted in bombay :(. I could cruise at 70KMPH comfortably and smoothly handled all the potholes/bumps that would leave me shaken on my rx100.

The Yamaha YBX if one survives until it can be called any kind of a classic. Sweet Ride.

For some reason none of Yamaha's current offerings seem to me as classic material.

The TVS 50/XL/XT for powering all those small entrepreneurs. The upcountry market for their spares is still very strong.

Maybe also the M50/M80 for the same reason. There are still a no of the M50 derived sunnys puttering around.

The KB 4S. Still see them on the road. The later boxers and i believe the calibers were also derived from the original 4S mill, not unlike the hero hondas.
Old 17th February 2012, 00:38   #21
BHPian

My father(a surgeon)has one jawa(1972) one yamaha rd350 (1986) and a standard bullet (1977).
He can't ride any one of them anymore though spends every year to make them working for Bishwakarma puja. Me and my brother wanted to sell them as we use to think that they are rusting away without any use. Actually we sold the jawa once but dad bought it back.
Last month my father had a massive heart attack and just after angiogram before bypass me and dad had a conversation that I want to share with all of you.
He told that is really sounds cruel to him when somebody thinks of selling their vehicles that they used for long time. Like I said once I want to sell the dire to buy a BMW 1 series when it comes to india. He said that he believes after working with knife for so many years that machines are live. Like once Mr Jagadish Chandra revealed that trees are alive in future somebody would surely reveal that machines do have life. He claimed that though he doesn't know many technical details about machines but many a night he stands by the three bikes which he used to ride vigorously and regularly on his greener days and the bikes communicate with him.
I thought that may be tension of bypass is taking his intellect off but later on further thought found that he might be right who knows. Thus I restored the bullet and am using it as daily ride for the office and sometime I think yes at least old machines have something which is just not machinelike. And after reading through this thread and thinking about people living with this classics am thinking that yes he is right.

Last edited by sinhsha : 17th February 2012 at 00:41. Reason: typing mistake
sinhsha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 08:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

How about the enfield fury? It was way ahead of its times with a self starter, disc brakes. Sadly a peach of a gearbox meant you had 5 gears and 4 neutrals :P
Old 17th February 2012, 09:08   #23
BHPian

Bajaj Chetak

The Badd RD350
The Wroooode RX100
The Boss Suzuki Shogun
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 12:17   #24
BANNED

Fury yes, someone said CBZ yes they will.
What about Suvega i am in process of getting one very original one.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

1. 1st Generation Suzuki Fiero
2. Bajaj Pulsar 180 with the wire wheels and headlight cowl (forget which UG). I think quality went downhill from here.
3. Yamaha MT-01 - now discontinued worldwide and very rare in India
4. Yezdi Roadking - well on it's way to becoming the next money spinner
5. Yamaha RX series - Fancy an RXZ for 90K INR?
6. First gen CBZ
7. 1960 - 1982 Model CI bullet (I think the heavy crank went out in 82 or 84? Someone correct me)

Last edited by gsferrari : 17th February 2012 at 13:20.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
My father(a surgeon)has one jawa(1972) one yamaha rd350 (1986) and a standard bullet (1977).
He told that is really sounds cruel to him when somebody thinks of selling their vehicles that they used for long time. Like I said once I want to sell the dire to buy a BMW 1 series when it comes to india. He said that he believes after working with knife for so many years that machines are live. Like once Mr Jagadish Chandra revealed that trees are alive in future somebody would surely reveal that machines do have life. He claimed that though he doesn't know many technical details about machines but many a night he stands by the three bikes which he used to ride vigorously and regularly on his greener days and the bikes communicate with him.
Guys please excuse me for being OT

Sinhsha,

What your dad was talking about is nothing new. My Grandpa used to tell me this. He said the best way to develop a bond with a vehicle to spend time with it and earn its friendship and respect. He maintained that then the vehicle will reveal its secrets to you, warn you of problems and will never let you down in a difficult situation. As per him the best way to do that was to clean the vehicle (I would like to believe that it was not a ploy to get a 8 year old to lend a hand in cleaning his car - which very often was done by himself). Even sitting qietly in the car doing nothing - as per him - was bonding with the car.

Believe me, I started driving the car (a 1962 Amby) at 11 (as soon as my feet could reach the pedal and I could see over the dash board), with out any guidence from any one. I believe that the car allowed itself to be driven by me as I had 8 years of bonding with it - right from the day the car came to our house brand new. Even as a 3 year old I would sit in the car hours on end just carrassing things like the steering wheel, the geal lever and switches etc.

Its a thought well embosed in the Indian ethos as well as can be seen by the Vishwakarma pooja, Ayutha Puja and Vahana Puja etc prescribed in our puranic texts.

Hope your dad gets well soon and you should take him ridding in the RD 350. May be that is the therapy he needs to rejuvenate himself

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th February 2012 at 13:22.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on this topic. Every vehicle eventually becomes a classic. It does not matter how popular or un-popular it was when it was being made. If it was un-popular then it becomes a very rare classic. But they all become classics eventually.

I remember seeing a couple of Luna threads out here somewhere. Who would have thought that a Luna would be a classic but hey her they are and after looking at the work put into them by their owners, I would call them classics too.

The Luna threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ngle-plus.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...etic-luna.html
Old 17th February 2012, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Finally someone posted Suzuki Shogun, thanks five46 for mentioning the legend
Old 17th February 2012, 15:56   #29
BHPian

I believe the list will be much much longer.. i would like to add..

1. Kawasaki Bajaj KB100/125 RTZ
2. Kawasaki Eliminator
3. Bajaj SX Enduro
4. IND-SUZUKI AX-100
5. TVS- Suzuki Supra
6. Yezdi 350 Twin
7. Yezdi 175, Colt
8. RE Silver Plus
9. RE Explorer
10. RE Sherpa, Crusader/Mini Bullet
Old 17th February 2012, 17:32   #30
BHPian

Indian Made bikes
Jawa 250
Jawa 350
Yamaha RD350
other than these oldies there is the

Yamaha RX135 esp the 5 speeds.
Yamaha RXZ 5 speed
Yamaha R15 V1.0
Yamaha FZ16
Bajaj Pulsar 220
Bajaj Pulsar NS200
KTM200
TVS Suzuki Shogun
TVS Suzuki Fiero
Suzuki Access 125
Honda Unicorn
Honda CBR250R
RE Classic 500
RE Thunderbird

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 17th February 2012 at 17:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks