Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2012, 18:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If anything, the front shocks are softer than we would have liked them, and tend to transmit a lot of bad road feel to the hands. They also do dive on hard front braking though not disconcertingly so. Though the shocks are not adjustable, would love to work out a way to make them slightly stiffer, as they are currently damped and sprung for good-ish roads mainly.

Isn't it the other way around .The front shock are hard and they transmit the noise up-to the hands .Were they softer ,they would have absorbed most of it and only a small amount we could have felt .

Even the rear shock are very stiff and they transmit most the bumps to saddle .

Both are the shocks are very hard and every bump is transferred to rider .

The Comet 250s shocks are class apart .Even my pulsar shocks are way better. I can just hammer the bad roads on the pulsar .

May be we need to/can tune the DUKE's shocks to take any roads .

Last edited by black12rr : 16th March 2012 at 18:47.
Old 16th March 2012, 21:35   #137
BHPian

No, they don't have any Power Parts yet, the salesman could not even provide a tentative date for parts sales.
Old 17th March 2012, 01:00   #138
BHPian

It may not be long though, KTM India shared the power parts catalogue today

link Here
Also from the price of the riding gear and the sticker kits listen on another forum is quite high. I don't think there will be many takers at those prices.

EDIT:Some of the owners have got the sticker kits , Tanks Pad and tank fuel cap sticker @ 1450 and 1820 (this was the price on a pic posted on FB)

Last edited by motorpsycho : 17th March 2012 at 01:05. Reason: :)
Old 19th March 2012, 10:58   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
A slightly heavier (than the stock rating) grade of fork oil should make the front shocks stiffer.
Yeah that's what we do for our Bullets by mixing thicker gear oil or even engine oil in different proportions. Washers/spacers for increasing spring pre-load is another commonly used trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Great to hear that you are happy with the bike. Any plans for the 'Akrapovic exhaust'. According to me, it is drool maal
If I buy this bike (I may wait for Duke 350 as I find this one a little too small), it has to be with that exhaust from day one. When are they releasing the power parts anyway?
I had seen this baby some time back ..... designed as a common slip-on for both the 125 and the 200. Knowing what the Ninja Akras cost, and what KTM add-ons are already pegged at, I will be surprised if this costs anything less than 20-25K. Sad ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
Do they have any PowerParts in stock yet?

The KJMarg showroom only has Jackets, Gloves, Tank Pads, Rim Tapes, Fuel Filler Stickers in stock.

PS: Sorry Ebono for turning your thread into a general KTM discussion one.
Not at all bro. In fact if anything I'm glad that you guys have kept the thread alive and kicking in my absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Isn't it the other way around .The front shock are hard and they transmit the noise up-to the hands .Were they softer ,they would have absorbed most of it and only a small amount we could have felt .

Even the rear shock are very stiff and they transmit most the bumps to saddle .

Both are the shocks are very hard and every bump is transferred to rider.
I read the tyre pressures you were running on another thread. The "hard" or "bumpy" feel you are getting may be linked to your front tyre pressure that 3-4 PSI over what's recommended.

The rear suspension at factory setting #3 has significant sag - even with a normal solo rider sitting on a stationary bike, the rear end settle significantly.

At the same setting when two guys got on to a just delivered Duke, and bounced a bit on the seat, it bottomed out at standstill.

We are still playing around with the settings, but for a solo 70-75 kilo rider, #4 seems perfect, and for a 90-95 kilo rider, #5 seems better.

Quote:
May be we need to/can tune the DUKE's shocks to take any roads .
That I agree with. More than the rear, its the "khat" sound/feel from the front that saps confidence and enjoyment from what on paper is a very good piece of kit.

Someone pretty senior from Bajaj told me that they have identified the fix for that and that its something pretty simple. Will follow up now that I'm back.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:22   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That I agree with. More than the rear, its the "khat" sound/feel from the front that saps confidence and enjoyment from what on paper is a very good piece of kit.

Someone pretty senior from Bajaj told me that they have identified the fix for that and that its something pretty simple. Will follow up now that I'm back.
I think i have found the problem for this noise. If you look at the bottom of left side on the orange platic panel. You will find pipe, i think its the fuel overflow pipe. It sort of makes noice when moved around. I have taped it up with the plastic panel and there is no noise from the front.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I think i have found the problem for this noise. If you look at the bottom of left side on the orange platic panel. You will find pipe, i think its the fuel overflow pipe. It sort of makes noice when moved around. I have taped it up with the plastic panel and there is no noise from the front.
Thanks for that update. Will check if that's what the Bajaj R&D guys have come up with as well

Speaking of fuel overflow pipe, I am constantly getting a strong petrol smell around my Duke. I know its the Duke because its still there even when I move her out of the garage away from my Bullet.

The last time when we returned from Goa, we tanked up to the brim to check the mileage (tankful to tankful type) so there was a visible overflow on the floor. But this time I filled just a little over 4 liters and I am still getting this smell.

Anyone else getting this?
Old 19th March 2012, 12:04   #142
BHPian

@ebonho: Just to answer your query, even though I don't own a Duke;

I was on a trip with my friend, me on my CBR and he, on his Duke. We tanked up at the same bunk, and even after 15-20 kms of running, we were still getting a faint petrol smell from the Duke. Quite unusual, and haven't seen this happening with any other bike. If it is a fuel leakage issue, Bajaj should be informed of it
Old 19th March 2012, 13:38   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
@ebonho: Just to answer your query, even though I don't own a Duke;

I was on a trip with my friend, me on my CBR and he, on his Duke. We tanked up at the same bunk, and even after 15-20 kms of running, we were still getting a faint petrol smell from the Duke. Quite unusual, and haven't seen this happening with any other bike. If it is a fuel leakage issue, Bajaj should be informed of it
Thanks for confirming. Wonder why no other Duke owners have noticed this? I mean there is no carb float bowl to flood, so what's the smell and where is it coming from?
Old 19th March 2012, 14:01   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that update. Will check if that's what the Bajaj R&D guys have come up with as well

Speaking of fuel overflow pipe, I am constantly getting a strong petrol smell around my Duke. I know its the Duke because its still there even when I move her out of the garage away from my Bullet.

The last time when we returned from Goa, we tanked up to the brim to check the mileage (tankful to tankful type) so there was a visible overflow on the floor. But this time I filled just a little over 4 liters and I am still getting this smell.

Anyone else getting this?
Even I get the petrol smell once i park the bike, thought may be due to the fuel breather pipe.

Any particular reason why the duke has a breather pipe while I haven't noticed one in any other bikes I have owned/ridden.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:07   #145
BHPian

I have noticed smell around the duke as well but it does not smell throughly like petrol. The smell is only when the engine is hot and the radiator fan has been running.. Smells more like the coolant.. Not very sure though!!
Old 19th March 2012, 14:44   #146
BHPian

Here is the parts manual for Duke-125 got from the other forum

Parts Manual-Chassis
Parts Manual-Engine

Not able to edit my last post & hence the new post.

P.S: Mods please remove the links if its against forum rules to share them.
samschenker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 16:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Here is the parts manual for Duke-125 got from the other forum

Parts Manual-Chassis
Parts Manual-Engine

Not able to edit my last post & hence the new post.

P.S: Mods please remove the links if its against forum rules to share them.
Thanks for the links bro. Would you have the Service / Workshop manual too by any chance? That would be neat.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:37   #148
BHPian

I too can smell petrol when the tank is filled up to the brim. Also noticed a small fuel spill once when I jumped over a road hump. According to the service center guys, the fuel level should be at least 1-2L lesser than the brim level

My bike is going for the first service tomorrow, I will get it checked along with some other things as listed below.

1. Very faint coolant spills though the level is still holding around MIN mark. (According to service center guys this is normal, is that true? This is my first liquid cooled bike, so want to get it confirmed.)
2. Twice in past 2 days I heard the chain hitting the swingarm when the bike jumped.
3. Front suspension stiffness (Too stiff for me)

OT: 6 days and 1000Km done with no significant trips to mention. I think I'm riding alright
Old 19th March 2012, 16:46   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the links bro. Would you have the Service / Workshop manual too by any chance? That would be neat.
All credit goes to the member who found these in the other forum
Will sure share the workshop manual if i come across one.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:16   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeda View Post
I too can smell petrol when the tank is filled up to the brim. Also noticed a small fuel spill once when I jumped over a road hump. According to the service center guys, the fuel level should be at least 1-2L lesser than the brim level
That is the limit and am sure is misinformation. I would be very surprised if its indeed a bug.

I mean, come on! First you have a 10.5 liter tank. Then the last odd liter plus is unusable. Then on top of it you are to fill 1-2 liters below brim.

Which means your usable tank range is what? Around 6-7 liters?!!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks