Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 19:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The chain was loose and was adjusted yesterday. Now the next feedback will probably be when I am back from tour and the first 1000 km run and service.
Ensure the chain is cleaned and lubricated once every 500 kms. This will ensure longer life to the chain. You can use motul chain clean and chain lube (road) for this.

Quote:
Could be the tyre is not yet bedded in (just around 100 kms) or could be that the brakes are better than the rubber or could simple be that I am still braking for the Bullet - on the KTM
Takes around 300kms (and sometimes a bit more) for new tires to break in. Brakes take around 150-200 kms to bed in too. Be safe mate
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 21:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Ensure the chain is cleaned and lubricated once every 500 kms. This will ensure longer life to the chain. You can use motul chain clean and chain lube (road) for this.

Takes around 300kms (and sometimes a bit more) for new tires to break in. Brakes take around 150-200 kms to bed in too. Be safe mate
Right said Aditya - While handing over the bikes, the SA's were emphasizing - Lube chain every 500 kms.

Tires will bed in for optimum slickness approximately around 200 kms. Even my brake pedal is a bit on the tighter side - The pbk workshop behind my house - the mechanic said - let it run for about 500 kms - u will be set. For now I am using more of "Front braking" technique - so well described by Aditya on one of his threads.
Old 29th February 2012, 23:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mileage figures being indicated by the computer over the 150 km Lonavala dash as well as this 500 km ride are between 39 nad 41 kmpl (2.1 L/100 km). The tank range is short though. From full tank to the brim the low fuel indicator comes on at around 200-220 kms.
Is the max fuel capacity is 11 ltrs and what point the low fuel indicator comes up ? is it 3 ltrs ?
Old 1st March 2012, 09:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats doc on this wonderful bike. Like mentioned by many guys here I will be glued on this thread.
I am also looking to replace my ageing Pulsar 180 (10 years, 1.3L KMS and still going strong) with either the Duke or the new Pulsar NS.

41kmpl is phenomenal, I doubt even Bajaj expected the mileage to be this good.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:59   #50
BHPian

Let the title say anything, but take a closer look and its not a baby for god’s sake

Last Thursday I was at MG road, and obviously parked my big fat buffalo in Doc’s parking lot :P. had planned to buy some riding gear from Dream Bikes, but it wasn’t good time, no electricity in that area, probiker was closed and I was getting majorly impatient to wait for Doc to arrive on his baby Duke 200. Gulped 2 mango slice, few more fags, purchased some strawberries from the street, bought few perfume bottles, decorative lights for home and what not. Finally made one more attempt and called Doc, no answer!! And realized he is on his way. Waited!!!

Doc arrives, he is like close to 6ft tall 95 kgs and was wearing his usual hefty leather riding suit. No wonder baby Duke was actually looking small baby bellow this Bawa (Doc nothing suits better than a CI 500 between your legs ). First thing I noticed was flashing white light above the number plate, pretty much like HID (exaggerating) spreading good amount of light on the road as well, a good thing, duke can be this seen from the distance. Doc says, sit we will go for the ride. I laugh and say no no that’s fine, damn he was spread all over the seat and there was hardly any place for me. He still insists, handovers his backpack and makes some space for me to sit.

Are you a biker? You will hate to sit behind anyone. Not enough?, I had come from office directly, wearing formal shirt, trouser and shoes. Okay!!! Not knowing his intentions, I keep his backpack on one shoulder, Safari keys and my phone in one hand and sit on duke in miserable condition. From what I know doc would do running-in for this bike too, he takes a turn from east street and just takes off? Man, I immediately put the backpack on my back and tried to put keys in pocket, and tried to hold something, and tried to handle my cell somehow…I tried, tried and tried.

Duke with 95 kg grizzly bear on it, and 70kgs athlete behind : p lol. was pulling like a dream. Awesome pickup and amazing breaking capability is what I noticed in that small ride. Absolutely did not like the way it sounds. I just hope we get some good after market exhaust for this. And I felt, it can be very good off-roader too, hope we get some good off-road tyres soon for Duke 200. While we walked toward café yazdaan for our fav chai out there, Doc was talking endlessly about Duke 200’s features and how it came with that smart card with duplicate key, and on and on…all felt good to my ears, I hope to get ride one soon.
throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Is there any picuture of Bawa riding/sitting on baby, as even I am grizzly bear and a really big one at that. I made almost all the bikes look small beneath me. I just want to check how this Duke looks with a big rider on. As a good looking bike is like winning only half the battle. The Biker and bike should look good as an unitary whole.

Congrats Doc, I know I am joining the party late but as it's said better than never.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 11:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Absolutely did not like the way it sounds. I just hope we get some good after market exhaust for this. And I felt, it can be very good off-roader too, hope we get some good off-road tyres soon for Duke 200.
There's a whole bunch of aftermarket exhausts you can look at, check out YouTube for videos of them. Most DUKE125 parts are a direct fit. The company officially endorses Akrapovic though.

Here's the link for the entire 2012 powerparts catalogue Catalogue KTM
Old 4th March 2012, 18:59   #53
BHPian

Congrats Doc , on the Duke ! Must say , you seemed an unlikely owner of a Duke , a far cry from your Bulleteer persona. One's loved for the thump, the Duke's a very different animal. It does complement the 500 well though, horses for courses as they say.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Sigh Monday morning blues never seemed so blue. Bluer than the ocean waters at idyllic Morjim. Bluer than the sun kissed ..... ok this thread is about bikes heh!

Long story short, am back in office with some major post-leave fire fighting and usual corporate cut and parry going on, but my mind and heart are still lingering somewhere in Goa. LOL

Tons of stuff to share - Keep watching this space
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-p1020340cropped.jpg  

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2012 at 11:03.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tons of stuff to share - feedback, stories, photos, videos, etc. Keep watching this space
So how did your trip go? eagerly awaiting your write up on that. Also did she complete her run-in? Presume yes.

How was her highway behavior? How was the windblast from opposite trucks?
Old 5th March 2012, 11:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
So how did your trip go? eagerly awaiting your write up on that. Also did she complete her run-in? Presume yes.

How was her highway behavior? How was the windblast from opposite trucks?
The ride was great. Bike is at 1800 kms now. First service at 1050 kms was done in Goa (apparently the first 1st service in the country - more on that later).

She is running strong and is still nice and tight in spite of some serious workout.

Top speed is 136 kmph. She gets there well within a km of open road on highway traffic roll-on.

Mileage ridden to red-line in each gear throughout measured tankful to tankful is 33-34 kmpl.

One tankful was normal fuel as well (2 am on the highway nothing else can be found). No issues.

The bike is very stable. But does get a little "light" at 135+. Highway sweet spot is around 120-125 kmph. Can and does keep that all day.

She moves well, stops well, and handles beautifully. The chassis is nice and stiff and should be pretty much unbreakable after some of what we put her through.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-p1020391cropped.jpg  

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2012 at 11:52.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:24   #57
BHPian

I guess, I along with a few Bhpian's were awaiting your return from Goa more than your office folks! Looking forward for more details on the ride, handling and over all review of the bike.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I guess, I along with a few Bhpian's were awaiting your return from Goa more than your office folks! Looking forward for more details on the ride, handling and over all review of the bike.
Thanks for the welcome-back bro!

Of the 1800+ kms clocked on the bike up until now, only 100 is within the city, and only 250 have been done by me overall.

The rest was by my friend Dr. Praveen Vats who should be back in Melbourne by now. We were in college together and he's a veteran rider with serious pedigree as well - having owned the CBR600, and currently owning 3 BMWs (the 1200GS, the K1300, and the G450X) and a Ducati GT1000 which he is currently restoring.

He also drives a Porsche Boxter but is self admittedly pretty much over cars for now. He is a keen amateur racer and he and his riding buddies regularly race and do track days at both Phillip Island as well as Broadford back in Melbourne.

He is not here on Team BHP but I can share with you the feedback from him as well as most of our common observations in some detail.

He really liked the bike and was so impressed by the overall build and feel and performance and fun factor that he's probably going to be trying out the 690 when he gets back home and might end up with one more addition to his garage soon.

Coming directly from him and what he is used to bike-wise in Australia, he says this Baby Duke is an international quality bike that can hold its own against similar competition (Aprilia, Derby, etc) and could easily retail for 2-3 times the cost at which we are getting it here.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2012 at 12:42.
Old 5th March 2012, 13:17   #59
BHPian

@Ebonho - Congrats on the new bike.
I happened to see one just now parked in the parking lot of my office. The same orange colored vehicle stood there. I am not great bike fan but the design is indeed unique and my colleagues and I gasped at it. I had seen this thread so I gave some "gyaan" to the ignorant souls surrounding me and then I said "Its from Bajaj". That was like a punch in the guts. Well its a collaboration I know but folks thought instatnly it is an improved Pulsar . Well anyway in conclusion its awe-inspiring seeing it in the flesh that is to say.

Hope you have many safe miles on this head-turner of a bike.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 13:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
@Ebonho - Congrats on the new bike.
I happened to see one just now parked in the parking lot of my office. The same orange colored vehicle stood there. I am not great bike fan but the design is indeed unique and my colleagues and I gasped at it. I had seen this thread so I gave some "gyaan" to the ignorant souls surrounding me and then I said "Its from Bajaj". That was like a punch in the guts. Well its a collaboration I know but folks thought instatnly it is an improved Pulsar . Well anyway in conclusion its awe-inspiring seeing it in the flesh that is to say.

Hope you have many safe miles on this head-turner of a bike.
Thanks buddy! Apparently, as of Saturday evening, 25 orange babies have gone home to their new families in Pune. So soon we will be seeing a lot of them zipping around.

My friend and I have gone over, under, into, and out of the entire bike pretty closely and to be fair, there is "KTM" all over the bike, but I have yet not seen "Bajaj" anywhere.

I guess what Bajaj lacks (deliberately) in branding on the actual vehicle is more than compensated for by the superb professionalism of their people and dealer network at all levels (senior execs, GMs, managers, supervisors, technicians, etc.), the goodwill they earn, and the attention to detail and willingness to learn, listen, think, and respond to every small detail on what is obviously a very important product/line for them.

Most Viewed