Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 22:43   #16
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)

Yes, I've seen Loc-tite here in India and it was a real hit among our college FSAE team members. They even used some product of theirs to make metal to metal joints, which wasn't a good idea when used in a brake pedal.

I'll look into it and keep a tube handy for my motorcycle.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:01   #17
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Engine Stuttering

A new problem has cropped up lately. I guess my carb is overflowing. This is what happens...

If the fuel supply tap is in ON position and you start the engine, It comes to life but dies on opening the throttle even slightly. Using the choke also has the same result. I have to turn the tap to OFF position and start the engine, wait for a minute (probably by then the excess fuel in the carb gets cleared) and then open the throttle to check the engine's response. Only then can I turn the tap back to the ON position. Even while idling, in traffic, I have to turn the tap to OFF position to ensure that it doesn't start stuttering or die when I have to move.

Have to figure out what the actual reason might be. Any inputs, anyone?
Old 8th April 2012, 20:45   #18
BHPian

Hi TGO, either the float in the carburetor is adjusted wrong / gone kaput or the fuel screw (pilot circuit) is set rich. Had this problem with my new bike when it was set rich at idle. The bike started only after the fuel tap was closed.
Regards Adrian
Old 11th April 2012, 18:16   #19
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Had my first dry tank experience yesterday while on my way back from work last night. Luckily I could get it rolling to the next fuel station, so no sweat. The motorcycle is returning a 40 kmpl average (approximately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi TGO, either the float in the carburetor is adjusted wrong / gone kaput or the fuel screw (pilot circuit) is set rich. Had this problem with my new bike when it was set rich at idle. The bike started only after the fuel tap was closed.
Thanks Adrian but after getting the fuel filled last night, I have not had the stuttering even once. This erratic behaviour is unfathomable. Will wait for a few days to see if it reappears after which I will get it checked. If the float has gone bad then it should stay that way??
Old 15th April 2012, 10:25   #20
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have a query.

Does an engine running richer sound louder than when it is on lean setting?
Old 28th April 2012, 08:42   #21
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

First trip: Mangalore>Chikmaglur>Kudremukh>Mangalore

Did my first Trip last weekend. It was five of us riding an Avenger 220, a Classic 500 and my TBTS. Left Mangalore early on 21st morning to reach Chikmaglur by noon. The roads till Charmadi Ghat section were narrow and the heavy rainfall the night before restricted our speed to 40 kmph. Had a thrilling ride through the ghat section. This road was literally empty as it was closed for around 2 years for reconstruction work done by L&T. We revelled in the scenic beauty which was accentuated by bright sunny skies.

trip Map
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-map.jpg

After climbing Charmadi Ghat section - The rides.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-20120421_094213.jpg

The sunny surprise at Charmadi.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000078.jpg

View from the top.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-20120421_095801.jpg

Freshly plucked jamun.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000087.jpg

Coffee Barn Cafe at Kambihalli Estate. Feasted on some of the fluffiest omlettes and great coffee.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000095.jpg

Learnt a lot about riding in a group, the hard way after we split up on our way to Kemman Gundi, with no cellphone coverage whatsoever (except of BSNL). Two of us ended up never reaching the place and we wasted about 5 hours regrouping. Stayed in Chikmaglur for the night and proceeded to Kudremukh the next day.

This again was a feast for me because of the empty winding roads, stops make on the way to recharge with fresh coffee and having to see the clouds getting ready to pour before we entered Kudremukh Forest Reserve. A quick lunch of Mirchi wadas and tea and we had no option other than t get riding in the rain. I would especially like to mention the ride through the now stalled, Kudremukh Iron Ore Corporation facility which is bang in the middle of the forest. The scale of this mining plant was huge. Just imagine a magnatite ore mining company built in the middle of a forest back in the late 70s having a 1.3km long pollution control dam built in two stages with a pipeline to transport that ore from Kudremukh to Mangalore where they had the enrichment unit, now defunct. The road crossings throughout the facility had tires of heavy digging/rigging/compression machines serving as roundabouts. The rusted sheds and equipment looked very surreal in the mist after it had rained really heavily.

en-route to Kudremukh the next day.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-20120422_121051.jpg

Butt pleasing stops and some camera action.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-p1010444edit.jpg

Coffee plantations.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-p1010578.jpg

Interesting flora.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000123.jpg

When plantations change to tea from coffee. And the discussion.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000134.jpg

Kudremukh forest reserve. Stopping to see the sun set over the mist covered mountains.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-p1010621.jpg

Tripping!
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-p1010610.jpg

The ride back to Mangalore again was enjoyable as the setting sun had cast a orange hue in the sky and the roads were in excellent condition pre-monsoon.

My motorcycle handled all of it very well except for the climbing part as I had a pillion at all times, but more so because the C5 was having to change gears not so often as me which made me jealous. I haven't calculated the mileage I got but I can say it was above 40kmpl. On the way back some 50 km away from Mangalore I got a shock when I felt something snap while operating the clutch, but to my surprise, the cable had not given way. But, something is very loose. The clutch lever needs free play adjustment very badly and I will have to get the Chain and the Clutch replaced in the next service due in another 3000 km. You can expect this in a motorcycle which would by then have clocked more than 35k. I also know form this trip that my carburetor needs attention as the stuttering that I have got used to can not be handled by others riding my my bull.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 07:11   #22
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Clutch Cable changed

I had noticed on my way back from Chikmaglur that at some point the clutch lever gave an indication that the clutch cable had snapped but that wasn't the case. I got it checked by my mechanic because the play in the clutch had increased substantially and the lever refused to retract fully. To my surprise, I found out that just two strands were attached to the bead. I had been riding for nearly 130 odd kms since this had happened. Really lucky I guess. Here is the Picture:

Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000148.jpg

Went to the RE Showroom to fetch a spare. Got this cable easily and for 90 bucks but I inquired about other things like Clutch plates, Chain and the engine mounting stud to which the reply was a stern no. They said that we are closing down the dealership soon and hence are not ordering any new spares to replenish their stock. Sad news guys.

People living in Mangalore, whose motorcycles are due for service in the coming months, please get them done early. These people didn't have details as to when the other (a new) outlet will open which will be handled by a different dealer altogether.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:03   #23
BHPian

TGO

Awesome road trip! Looks like your ride brought you back home even though she was limping. Got to love that when it happens!

I have a question for you -

I am running in my TBTS now - its only about 150 kms on the ODO. I have a feeling that the clutch may be slipping a bit. I have ofcourse not crossed 60kmph EVER. But at that speed the RPM reads out about 2300 RPMs. Thats an approximate number, but its quite close.

What is your ride tell you at such speeds? Also, I am not able to follow the speeds mentioned in the manual for the run in. I feel like the bike is lugging at the speeds recommeded for running in.

For reference, speeds mentioned are:

Gear 1 - 15 kms - This is no problem
Gear 2 - 25 kms - Also not a problem
Gear 3 - 30 kms - Total rubbish. I cannot chage to 4th before 40 kmph or the enging lugs
Gear 4 - 45 kms - Again rubbish. Least is 50 kmph before the gear change to Gear 5
Gear 5 - 60 kms - This is perfect.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:47   #24
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Hi Balaji,

About your apprehension about the clutch. Even my motorcycle runs at the same rpm at that speed. I was really worried about the health of the clutch as i had bought it second hand with 29k on the ODO. But it turns out that the fault was in the cable all this time. The clutch feels much healthier now after changing the cable.

About the run in. Its my belief that the engine should not knock during that period. Knocking is the sharp metallic tack-tack sound you get if your vehicle is lugging and not picking up speed. What really happens during this is that the fuel in the combustion chamber is auto igniting and producing a sudden surge in the pressure on the piston. This can have adverse effect on a new engine in which the piston rings are rubbing against a freshly honed cylinder inner surface.

Try not to reach a point where you observe lugging and open the throttle slowly till the first service.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:25   #25
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000161.jpg

33000 km completed on the ODO. My contribution to that is approximately 4000 km in 100 days of ownership. It has been fun riding ever since. It has its own tantrums, throws some small fit here and there but I hope to get it in perfect running condition soon.

Traveling back home for a week to Jaipur. Will try to buy some spares for good measure as my motorcycle will be due for service in another 2000 km and there is uncertainty about their availability in Mangalore. Will also like to get my hands on some fallen screws and nuts. Will make a list today.

Meanwhile, is there a parts catalog for the TBTS?
Old 24th July 2012, 20:41   #26
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Madikeri Trip - and a few niggles sorted out

This is a post after a long time. We did a 2 day trip to Madikeri in the last week of June. Covered Madikeri (Golden Temple-Abbey Falls-Talacauvery-Bekal) Here are a few pictures.

Map
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-map.png

Puttur to Sulia - The worst section of the road to Madikeri
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000240.jpg

Stopped for topping up the Oil
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-20120623_141457.jpg

Overshot the turn for The Golden Temple
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-p1010769.jpg

Inside the Tibetan Refuge Camp, Dubare
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-20120623_152529.jpg

The Tibetan monastery also known as the Golden Temple
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000288.jpg

Abbey Falls to conclude the first day. You can see the difference in th weather, having to start in the rain with sunny skies welcoming us into the afternoon. All in one day.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000323.jpg

On the way to Talacauvery where we encountered dense fog and the weather was chilling.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000326.jpg

Going through a reserved forest from Bagamandala, Karnataka to Kanhangad, Kerala.
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000343.jpg

The bike was running fine all the way. Returned a decent 40 kmpl over the 500 kms we covered, which is on the lower side. I was irritated by the stuttering/missing observed at around 20% throttle which was a problem which cropped up after the 30k service after buying the Bike. Came back and thought of going to the RE service center and viola, they figured it out. Check this link for a detailed description of the problem and its solution which was traced to the Carburetor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2824915
Old 11th October 2012, 11:33   #27
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone. I am posting after a long time. In the meanwhile I have done a trip to Gokarna and back over two days. My bike's rear sprocket has become pointy, indicating the need for a change. I finally got the foundation bolt needed for the engine which was couriered to me after i contacted RE customer service through e-mail. Kudos to them.

I put the bike for a complete overhaul in terms of minor niggles and some major changes that were needed. The list went like this:
  • Instrument cluster illumination was not working
  • Ignition switch was by-passed. Bike was not turning off irrespective of the position of the key.
  • Center stand had sagged and something needed to be done.
  • Chain and Sprokets (KIT) needed a change
  • Engine Oil Top-up
  • Tightening of nuts-bolts and some unwanted sounds to be attended to
  • Fixing of the foundation bolt for the engine
  • Bike pulling to the right on letting go off the handle bars
  • Disc brake noise
  • Disc brake hand lever became sticky and notchy in its movement/travel

I got a call from the mechanic working on the bike saying that the bottom part of the frame which holds the center stand has been bent and they have to remove the bend in order to get rid of the sag in the center stand. I went through Randhawa's thread on this issue. The problem i am facing is the same but an extreme case of it. I also do not have the new stand mentioned by him in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1722653

Lets see how it goes. The frame will have to be opened for removing the bend. Can anyone suggest what all should be taken care of in doing such a major job of dismantling the whole Bike and re-assembling it.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:25   #28
BHPian

Hi

Do you have any photographs of the Kudremukh Iron ore mining site/roads/ adjoining areas.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:50   #29
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

There are two bends in the frame. One is a minor one on the member which has the center stand assembly welded to it. The first picture here, clearly shows the upward U-bend. And the second one is a very minor bend that the mechanic has observed in the member under the fuel tank. Not visible to the eye but it is there.

Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000025.jpg
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000027.jpg
Take 3 - 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird (Ownership Experience)-wp_000028.jpg

After attending to these I was thinking of getting the Frame powder coated. Any Idea of how much it should cost and how long it would take.
Old 13th October 2012, 14:35   #30
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Hi

Do you have any photographs of the Kudremukh Iron ore mining site/roads/ adjoining areas.
Yes i do have a couple of them. We didn't stop much inside the Industrial area as there is a time limit before which you have to be out on the other end. Roads were exceptional if that is what you want to know. Mostly because heavy traffic is restricted inside the forest.

Send me your e-mail address in a personal message and I will send you all the pictures i have of that area.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks