Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 00:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK!

hey chetanya, I have never owned a 2 stroke ever in my life though I have ridden quite a few. I know the kinda fun these machines are. This is one 2 stroke I would love to have.
Keep us updated on your progress. Even I've got a project P220 that I'm working on. I'm pretty sure yours is one fast bike and I'm hoping mine would be too!
BTW, If you're looking for mikuni/keihin carbs then I've PM'ed you a website you can source those carbs brand new from. They have jets are other parts as well for both keihin/mikuni.

Good luck!
Old 6th March 2012, 12:32   #17
BANNED

Dont install self drilled jets even with drill gun the result varies depends upon person to person and how they are holding the jet and drill gun, buy readymade available online in multiple quantity to suit your requirement.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmOD View Post
hey chetanya, I have never owned a 2 stroke ever in my life though I have ridden quite a few. I know the kinda fun these machines are. This is one 2 stroke I would love to have.
Keep us updated on your progress. Even I've got a project P220 that I'm working on. I'm pretty sure yours is one fast bike and I'm hoping mine would be too!
BTW, If you're looking for mikuni/keihin carbs then I've PM'ed you a website you can source those carbs brand new from. They have jets are other parts as well for both keihin/mikuni.

Good luck!
Thanks for appreciating the bike. Its indeed fun to ride but has more potential and I consider it still work in progress.

I checked out PJ motorsports for the carb, Ill wait on an experts word to decide which one is ideal for the bike. I'm right now working on a new tank with knee inserts and racing stripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Dont install self drilled jets even with drill gun the result varies depends upon person to person and how they are holding the jet and drill gun, buy readymade available online in multiple quantity to suit your requirement.

Its a temporary solution. I cant seem to find the jets locally.

Also, the RX135 engine I was to pick up, came out to be a RX100 engine, so another disappointment.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th March 2012 at 02:13. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 01:22   #19
BHPian

A sneak peak of a recent photo shoot. More pics to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK!-_mg_97253.jpg  

Old 7th March 2012, 02:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma View Post
A sneak peak of a recent photo shoot. More pics to follow.
That looks beautiful! Post a video of it in action!!
Old 7th March 2012, 10:05   #21
BHPian

Bike is looking wonderful. I believe that if the YAMAHA shiny plastic logo on the tank is changed to a more subtle sticker type of monogram, the tank would look in sync with rest of the bike's theme. Same goes with the RX100 monogram.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

WOW. Thrilled to see the YCR back. All that is chrome will stay on the cafe. Its been around four years, oodles of cash, days/months spent on designing/thinking/planning/implementing to come to this and I am contend with the outcome. Good job Chetanya. More to come!
Old 7th March 2012, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmOD View Post
That looks beautiful! Post a video of it in action!!
Thanks, we are working on it. Brake side rear sets are in progress, as soon as they are done we'll have a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Bike is looking wonderful. I believe that if the YAMAHA shiny plastic logo on the tank is changed to a more subtle sticker type of monogram, the tank would look in sync with rest of the bike's theme. Same goes with the RX100 monogram.
I am thinking of changing the monograms but cant get anything good enough that excites me. Maybe on the new tank that is in the making, I would try that with a sticker job. Thanks.

Meanwhile...
Attached Thumbnails
Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK!-_mg_9730.jpg  

Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK!-_mg_9746.jpg  

Old 9th March 2012, 14:24   #24
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your Yamaha Cafe Racer (YCR as we would all call it) Chetanya. The outcome of your project is excellent and the quality of the work is much better than our own YCR.

The only phrase that came to my mind when your YCR was ready was :

The YCR is dead (mine). Long live the YCR (yours)!!

Anyways coming back to the topic, the best thing I like about the bike is the layout of the clipons and the rear view mirrors. The riding position more like a drag bike than a cafe racer - but then it feels really good and special. I have ridden the bike and can say that the performance is way better than a stock or a mildly modded RX100 - the bike really pulls in each gear. The broad tyres will improve handling and make the bike look bigger and beefier - but at the cost of performance.

There are somethings that are NOT AT ALL practical on this bike.
  • - The riding position : The riding position is ery uncomfortable by all standards. Whether you are on a long ride or stuck in traffic - you will definitely get a backache. Add to it red palms.
  • - The rear view mirrors. They are just for show and dont even think you would be able to see anything other than your own shoulder.
  • - The rear brakes - They are as good as no brakes. But they are in the progress of being fabricated and modified - so that they work.
  • - The seats - There is only a single seat. So if you suddenly meet your girlfriend or a friend and if they need a lift - "Sorry thats the way to the bus/taxi stand". You have to ride alone wherever you go. You cannot help a friend when they need you.
But then what the heck!! This bike wasnt built to be practical. Between Gordon, Chetanya and myself - we have modified 5 bikes (2 Enfields and 2 RX100s) into Cafe Racers - and none were practical. Its just the passion for the Cafe Racers that makes us transform a practical machines in totally non-practical ones. And we totally enjoyed each and every unpractical moment on it.
Old 10th May 2015, 15:52   #25

This is beautiful! Good stuff! 2 strokes make awesome donor bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks