Team-BHP - Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/116510-caf-racer-projects-yamaha-caf-racer-back.html)

What started off as a dream for V12 and Gordon in 2005, slowly came into being with the Enfield Café Racer and I was inspired by it and myself and Gordon thought of taking it to the next level.

Having successfully made 3 Royal Enfield Café Racers, V12 thought of making a Yamaha RX100 a café racer. After extensive work on the prototype in 2008, no one used it much, we ended up spending a lot on the bike, the bike was later made stock and sold off in a loss. Thread for the same : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-stock-18.html

Slowly, all the three Enfield Café were converted back to stock. I was actually forced to do so by my dad who wanted to use the bike as I was going to the USA for studies.

Always wanting to have a RX100, I was constantly looking out to buy one. I came very close to picking up one in 2007 but a friend of mine test rode it and refused me to pick it up.

April 2011 - I've been out of the country and far away from bikes for almost 1.5 years and a friend of mine who went to UK to study was looking at getting rid of my 1994 RX100. I immediately sent Gordon the money and asked him to pick it up. This was a catch I didn't miss and I got it for a very very good price!

August 2011 - After a lot of ups and downs with my flight school and such, I had finally gotten my Commercial Pilots License and was heading back to India.
Had the RX down in my garage before I even reached home and first thing I did was to ride it after a tiring 26hr journey.

Since the Café Racer scene was quiet for sometime, one fine day, I went downstairs with a set of tools and attempted at stripping off the RX but alas the mosquitoes and heat won't let me! So what do I do ? I got my bike in the luggage lift and got it to my bedroom on the 3rd floor stupid:

Mom opens the door and makes a face, but she understands and lets me get the bike in

Inside the room now, took me 2 days or so and it was ready to go off for chassis and engine re-paint.

Attached are some pictures of the bike when it was bought in April, the bike in my bedroom undergoing tryouts of the prototype tank and seat, picture of the café seat refurbished with new upholstery. Bought a hayabusa japan 3 piece clip ons which didn't fit and looked ugly.

More to come soon and apologies for having not laid down the explanations properly, very impatient when it comes to typing and posting stupid:

Some more pictures, apologies to the mods for any mistakes while posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma (Post 2694548)
More to come soon and apologies for having not laid down the explanations properly, very impatient when it comes to typing and posting stupid:

Chetanya,
Does look very good from what I could gather from the photos. Would you make this go even further by putting on the front discs, having higher rear sets for foot pegs?

hopefully the crash guards will be taken off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ku69rd (Post 2694935)
Chetanya,
Does look very good from what I could gather from the photos. Would you make this go even further by putting on the front discs, having higher rear sets for foot pegs?

hopefully the crash guards will be taken off?

Well the bike is almost ready actually, I am really busy with studies and will be posting details and pictures soon.

To answer your questions and give you a hint of what it looks like now :

Crash guard removed.
MRF Zapper C(90) and Zapper Q (100) :D
Posh Clip ons.
Discover shocks.
No front speedo assembly ( attaching a picture)
No front mudguard thanks to the fat tire.
We stuck to the prototype white and matt black engine.
Waiting on some funds for the gladiator disc setup.
Also thinking of sending the bike off to RDD for tuning.

Will write more about it soon, thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma (Post 2695099)
No front mudguard thanks to the fat tire.
Will write more about it soon, thanks !

Just a thought, please ensure you put in a fork stay now that the mudguard is taken off. Else you have a very good chance of being thrown away when you brake in hi speeds. Putting in a simple U shaped clamp should be more than sufficient.

Paint job looks neat, awaiting your further inputs.

The bike seems to have come out clean and really well. Please post more pics. From where have you sourced the handle bars and rear view mirrors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 2695120)
The bike seems to have come out clean and really well. Please post more pics. From where have you sourced the handle bars and rear view mirrors?

Handle bars were bought way back in 2008 from Lamington Road, Mumbai for some 500 rupees.

The RVMs are temporary and were bought from a local spare parts shop, they are chinese and for 100 rupees.

Here's a sneak peak:thumbs up

Performance mods to do it so far:

1. NGK Iridium spark plug with water proof cap.
2. Power box from RX135.
3. K&N oil type conical filter.
4. Slightly up jetted for now.

Soon to come:

1. RX135 crank and piston assembly
2. RDD cdi with 100/90 kit
3. Flat slide VM26 carb
4. Boyesen carbon fibre reeds
5. New proton exhaust or similar
6. Gladiator Disc setup
7. Brake side rear sets pending

I feel lusterless blackening the rims would add to the looks. Else you can switch over to black alloys. I believe it would be an easier job to mount the front brake discs on an alloy if you are planning to add disc brakes upfront.

What is the condition of engine at present? I remember, pick-up of my Rx100 dropped quite a bit when i switched to meaty zappers at the rear.

The front looks menacing though!

Upload a video of the engine and exhaust in action if you can. How have you elongated the tank?

Nice looking bike. I would suggest you to switch to Old Discover alloys (blacked out, ofcourse) and a Disc brake set-up.

I wonder how bumper to bumper traffic rides would feel in this?

Question: As far as I know, RX 100 didnt come with YEIS badge on the engine and plastic tool box, are you sure your bike is a RX 100 and not a RXG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 2695298)
I feel lusterless blackening the rims would add to the looks. Else you can switch over to black alloys. I believe it would be an easier job to mount the front brake discs on an alloy if you are planning to add disc brakes upfront.

What is the condition of engine at present? I remember, pick-up of my Rx100 dropped quite a bit when i switched to meaty zappers at the rear.

The front looks menacing though!

Upload a video of the engine and exhaust in action if you can. How have you elongated the tank?

To keep the cafe racer look alive, I am sticking to spokes else I wouldn't hesitate to change over to alloys. As far as I know the gladiator setup is bolt on and no modification or alteration required.

Engine is in pretty good condition, the zappers have slightly affected performance but its more stable on corners and such. To counteract the reduction, I've put K&N and NGK plugs for now, the list I posted earlier should make it perform better.

The tank is made out of two yamaha rx100 tanks :)

I shall upload a video as soon as the new proton is in place and the brakes are done. Thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac187 (Post 2695328)
Nice looking bike. I would suggest you to switch to Old Discover alloys (blacked out, ofcourse) and a Disc brake set-up.

I wonder how bumper to bumper traffic rides would feel in this?

Question: As far as I know, RX 100 didnt come with YEIS badge on the engine and plastic tool box, are you sure your bike is a RX 100 and not a RXG?

Well, since the shocks are pretty new, I wouldn't replace them as of now, but ill keep your suggestion in consideration if i have to change it. Disc brake setup is urgently required as all my weight is concentrated up front and the stock drums are no good.

Riding this in traffic is a bit tiring, I use my RE Bullet if I have to travel long distances. Best riding time is in the morning or late at night, the sound of the exhaust and low clip ons are a joy !

The YEIS badge was put after re-paint, the bike had the tool box when I got it and its a 1994 RX100 as per the Registration Cert.

Thanks for your comment!

Bike is neat and coming up nicely.
You can do few more things for better performance.
Dump the KnN filter as it supplies lots of dust as well apart from more air, switch to UNi, upjetting is must, use RX135 carb with 165 Main Jet, Pilot as well if you can find 20 number.
RDD ignition doesn't required NGK Iridium plug, just put MICO Bosch WR5BC or W5BC with NGK plug cap if it's original else Honda Activa plug cap works like charm.
Dont just move to 135 crank and piston, you need to change the gears along with complete clutch unit as ratios are different and 135 requires strong clutch system.
Proton chambers are ok, best is get tuned one from someone who knows the calculations based upon ex port height, CC etc.
Best of luck with your build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 2697892)
Bike is neat and coming up nicely.
You can do few more things for better performance.
Dump the KnN filter as it supplies lots of dust as well apart from more air, switch to UNi, upjetting is must, use RX135 carb with 165 Main Jet, Pilot as well if you can find 20 number.
RDD ignition doesn't required NGK Iridium plug, just put MICO Bosch WR5BC or W5BC with NGK plug cap if it's original else Honda Activa plug cap works like charm.
Dont just move to 135 crank and piston, you need to change the gears along with complete clutch unit as ratios are different and 135 requires strong clutch system.
Proton chambers are ok, best is get tuned one from someone who knows the calculations based upon ex port height, CC etc.
Best of luck with your build.

Thanks Ajay for your comment,

I know motorcycle superstore has it for 18$(approx 900rs). Enquired here at a local shop, he said 3200. Any idea where it can be bought from in India? Are there different types in the said filter?

I find jets to be very difficult to source. I bought a 110 size main jet today and used a mini electric screw driver with a very thin bit to port the jet.

I found a RX135 used carb for 500, should I pick it up? Or should I go for flat slide carb? Any idea on the price for the same.

Also the crank/piston/gearbox, (except casing of course) of a 1998 RX135 which has been de-registered due to faulty chassis is available for 2000 rs, should I pick it up?

I am very poor when it comes understanding engine mods, I would appreciate some guidance regarding the same.

Thanks in advance.

Buy used carb no issue but change all the internals specially pilot and main jets, packing etc. If you are finding difficulty in sourcing jet do let me know i'll send you 170 main jet. 500 bucks is good deal, flat sliders are way costly and tough to tune, but if you dont mind spending 8-10K on flat slider and headache to tune it go for it.
2000 bucks for those used parts are again good deal get it.
Even i am poor in all these things but learnt few things from past experiance :).
Uni filters sold in India are mostly chinese replica keep them away from your bike.
Try sourcing them with RDD it comes with matching jet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 2699996)
Buy used carb no issue but change all the internals specially pilot and main jets, packing etc. If you are finding difficulty in sourcing jet do let me know i'll send you 170 main jet. 500 bucks is good deal, flat sliders are way costly and tough to tune, but if you dont mind spending 8-10K on flat slider and headache to tune it go for it.
2000 bucks for those used parts are again good deal get it.
Even i am poor in all these things but learnt few things from past experiance :).
Uni filters sold in India are mostly chinese replica keep them away from your bike.
Try sourcing them with RDD it comes with matching jet.

So, I got the carb finally. Opened it up, cleaned it, changed the float etc. Bored the existing 115 jet and tried it on the bike. Unfortunately didn't respond well and a lot of misfiring from the engine.

I related the problem to the jet being bigger and the filter not supporting the enormous fuel. I took out the jet from my old mikuni carb and bored it less than what i had earlier. Put the k&n and it works like a charm. Better but not the best. I am sure it has more potential. Picking up the engine tomorrow, will be making a list of what I need from RDD soon.

Here's a picture of the RX135 mi-carb I installed.