Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 20:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR180: Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Okay that settled, would like to know what all I will have to insist on getting done on the first service other then the obvious oil change? And is Teflon a better idea or lamination?
First service is very simple --> Clean bike, oil and oil filter change, chain cleaning and lubrication, air filter check and clean (not every service center does this, if you are present you can get it checked and cleaned). If you feel any excessive vibes, you can mention about it and they will fasten all bolts to reduce it a bit.

With regards to Teflon/lamination i dont have experience with either, hence cannot comment. I heard that the Teflon for bikes is a farce and is not actually Teflon at all. So did not try it on any bikes i have owned so far. Try checking with the dealer if he is really applying Teflon coat.

In case you have 3M outlets close by check the Paint Protection Film that they have recently introduced. It is very good and will protect the scratch prone areas effectively as per reviews.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:55   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
In case you have 3M outlets close by check the Paint Protection Film that they have recently introduced. It is very good and will protect the scratch prone areas effectively as per reviews.
Well, "Paint Protection Film" is a new thing for me; will surely inquire into this. However, after reading this article (Teflon Coating For Your Bike – A How to Guide) I was particularly impressed with Teflon coating.

And one more thing, I am not quite impressed with the braking power of the rear disc. On optimum pressing of the foot brake, it has very little and belated effect on the speed. I complained to the Sales rep but he said that I can try it on higher speeds and will get the idea as to whether they work or not. Frankly, it is more loose than the foot brake of my ol' CD Deluxe. On inquiring as to whether I can alter the pressure, he informed that they are factory-set and it would be better not to fiddle around with it. Watsay?
Old 14th August 2012, 21:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And one more thing, I am not quite impressed with the braking power of the rear disc.
It could be the pedal position at fault here. I think you already know that both the brake and gear lever are adjustable to suit your preference. Maybe it is set very low in your case from the factory. Just get it checked. In case even after adjusting the lever if you feel that its not good, check the disk brake oil level and the brake pads. Comparing the rear disk of the P220 Dtsi that i owned to the RTR180, i felt that the rear disk is very effective on the RTR and feels like a disk brake. Nevertheless I rely only on the front brakes unless under wet conditions so I always felt that the rear brake was adequate.
Old 28th August 2012, 03:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Nevertheless I rely only on the front brakes unless under wet conditions so I always felt that the rear brake was adequate.
Yes, the front brakes has become my mainstay now and I don't think that is risky enough because the cables are sturdy enough to cope a high pressure situation wherein you apply only the front brake hard in 50+ speed.

Btw I got my first service done at 600 kms like before 5 days ago. Cost me 380 bucks:
Engine Oil top-up - 270
Oil filter change - 40
Oil spray(chain lube) - 70

Asked the SVC guys when they'll change the Air filter; was informed by the service engineer - after 10,000 kms. However, another guy said that it was at 20,000 km. Which is correct?

Anyway, after service there is no vibes at all !! She is as smooth as butter
I had been riding her in a very controlled manner during and after the service and on calculation found out that I was getting a mileage between 43-45 kmpl.
Had the chance to rip the engine a little bit yesterday on the occasion of a T-BHP meet. Did 130+ at times but Odo shows Hi Speed of 120 only. Where do you reckon the problem lies? And plus, what was the max you did in yours?

I did not put rip her much as I was only aclamatising her after first service. Vibes crept in after 9.5 rpm mark at top gear plus rear tires were swerving a bit so I gradually pulled out.

But the tires do not exude the same confidence on wet surfaces which they shows on dry surfaces. Many times, the bike got the better of me in gullies where I had to apply disk brake on wet surfaces where it skids and the bike just shifts its weight to the right side and tries to topple itself. Moreover, you cannot hit the neutral that easily; it requires quite a bit of concentration at times.

PS: Do you think doing an ownership report at 5000 kms would be worthwhile? I was asking because there are more then 2 RTR 180 reviews already in the forum.

Regards!
SJD
Old 28th August 2012, 11:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine Oil top-up - 270
I guess you mean Engine oil replacement when you say top-up. 270 sounds about right for a liter of TVS Tru4 oil.

Quote:
Asked the SVC guys when they'll change the Air filter;
IIRC, it should be at 20k kms as per the manual. Just check it once more in the maintenance schedule

Quote:
I had been riding her in a very controlled manner during and after the service and on calculation found out that I was getting a mileage between 43-45 kmpl.
That's phenomenal mileage for a 180cc. You are probably babying her! My bike nearing 16k kms on the odo is returning 28-30kmpl.

Quote:
Where do you reckon the problem lies? And plus, what was the max you did in yours?
130+ on a 600kms run bike is a bit risky but i guess you did not persist for long stretches and only did short bursts which should be ok. Hi-Speed log in the console is not very accurate. The highest i have managed was a speedo indicated 133 but the recorded speed is only 131. So there will be a variance and nothing much to worry about.

Quote:
But the tires do not exude the same confidence on wet surfaces which they shows on dry surfaces.
This is the weakest link in this bike. I changed mine to Pirelli MT75 (stock size) at around 7k kms mark. Its beautiful in the dry and amazing in the wet. Have posted a wet ride review of the tyre in the same page below. Amazing tyre if you can find it. Else the IRC NR58 is also a very sticky tyre and will allow you to enjoy the capabilities of the bike to the fullest.

Quote:
PS: Do you think doing an ownership report at 5000 kms would be worthwhile? I was asking because there are more then 2 RTR 180 reviews already in the forum.
It is your pride and it is up to you really You are most welcome to use one of the existing threads as well.
Old 29th August 2012, 03:19   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you mean Engine oil replacement when you say top-up.
Righto !!

Quote:
You are probably babying her!
Lol, yes...no revving, not much use of low gears, avoiding bad roads, timely inflation of tires, no unnecessary use of head-light, sedate driving and the list goes on....

Quote:
My bike nearing 16k kms on the odo is returning 28-30kmpl.
Don't you think it is a bit less albeit 16k already on the Odo? Btw what is your driving style?

Quote:
130+ on a 600kms run bike is a bit risky but i guess you did not persist for long stretches and only did short bursts.
Nope, it was a pre-planned controlled speed-burst. I had babied her for 600 odd kms and was wanting to open-up the new engine a little bit after the first service. Trust me, now the bike-motion feels a lot more smooth and fluidic.

Quote:
I changed mine to Pirelli MT75 (stock size) at around 7k kms mark. Else the IRC NR58 is also a very sticky tyre and will allow you to enjoy the capabilities of the bike to the
That sounds cool! Anyway, how much did it cost you, from where did you get this done and when was it done (I mean the time)? If you have knowledge regarding the price of the IRCs, do share it.

PS: Can the 110/80 x 17” mm rear tires be changed to something broader; or do we need to stick to that specification while opting for new tires?
Old 29th August 2012, 11:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think it is a bit less albeit 16k already on the Odo? Btw what is your driving style?
Up-Shifts at 6-7k RPM almost always in the city since i ride at relatively non-peak traffic times.

Quote:
If you have knowledge regarding the price of the IRCs, do share it.
Not sure of IRC's but should be similar to Pirelli in the 3000-3500 range.

Quote:
PS: Can the 110/80 x 17” mm rear tires be changed to something broader; or do we need to stick to that specification while opting for new tires?
Well i too wanted to shift to broader tyre. But after reading the thread Motorcycle Tyres: Compared - I have decided that even for future stock size would be best. Check the recent posts on the thread and you will know why.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 12:22   #68
BHPian

Hello folks - Have a 3 year old 180 RTR with about 6,000 KM on the Odo, got the bike and within a 6 months or so went abroad so it has been barely used. I am facing / have been facing some consistent issues with this bike and wanted to compare notes with other owners.

(1) Poor quality of alloy's used in the exhaust? - Even after 5 months or so of ownership I noticed substantial rust creeping along the exhaust. I do not think it is a maintenance issue as my vehicles are all maintained by me, and are maintained consistently well. Case in point my earlier bike which was the very under rated Bajaj Aspire 125 - did about 1lakh Km over a 8 year period and faced the problem of a rusting exhaust only after 4-5 years of ownership.

My complaints to TVS and the service centres went unheeded, and now it is almost completely rusted. What solution would you advise for the same.

(2) Fuel Gauge - CONSTANT problems with this, again not a new issue, but been raising it from day 1 almost (they changed the fuel tank under warranty as well), and now it is becoming a serious issue as I never know how much fuel is in the tank and have to estimate it based on how much I filled up and how much I have driven. Once again TVS seems to be pretty useless on the customer service front and repeat complaints have only gone in vain.

(3) Lastly - I know this is a consistent issue, but terrible terrible Srichakra tyres. I have a new Fluidic Verna so my usage of the bike is limited to some 300-400 km's a month, but this is over expressways so what tyre would you suggest? and the approx cost of the same? I know some folks here have Pirelli tyres, but I think that is a little expensive considering my rather limited usage, but I still would like to change the tyres as these do not instill any confidence in me during my e-Way drives in which I normally average 80-90 kmph with a max of about 100.

Thanks in advance for any help you might render.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hello folks - Have a 3 year old 180 RTR with about 6,000 KM on the Odo..Even after 5 months or so of ownership I noticed substantial rust creeping along the exhaust...
How long was the bike unused? Was it stored following precautions to prevent rusting?

Quote:
My complaints to TVS and the service centres went unheeded, and now it is almost completely rusted. What solution would you advise for the same.
Either replace it with a new stock exhaust or go for free flow exhaust from Joel at Race Concepts.

Quote:
Fuel Gauge - CONSTANT problems with this, again not a new issue, but been raising it from day 1 almost (they changed the fuel tank under warranty as well), and now it is becoming a serious issue as I never know how much fuel is in the tank..
Not sure how troublesome or how bad this is. Mine is a 2011 RTR and i dont have to too much of an issue with this. But still you have the fuel tap and reserve in the fuel tap as well. Is this not working too?

Quote:
Lastly - I know this is a consistent issue, but terrible terrible Srichakra tyres..... but I still would like to change the tyres as these do not instill any confidence in me during my e-Way drives in which I normally average 80-90 kmph with a max of about 100..
You can opt for MRF Zapper Vyde. Though its 120 section tyre as against the 110 section of stock, it fits without any modifications and also will be cheaper than the pirelli or other imported brands.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of my 180 (non ABS) about 2 weeks ago. So far its been fun. As pointed out earlier - the rear brakes feel like they are drums and are extremely spongy - I am not running to the service station just yet - will get them all done with the first service.

The tyres are just plain terrible. I was riding on a damp surface and felt the rear moving out- scary for a split second- decided that next change up - the tyres will happen after the first service also.

So far the bike appears nice - though I am yet to do a tankful to tankful to see how much I am able to get. Not keeping my hopes too high cause of the terrible traffic conditions.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Got delivery of my 180 (non ABS) about 2 weeks ago. So far its been fun.
Congrats With regards to rear brakes, do get it checked at the first service. It could be due to the pedal adjustment as well. And yes the tyres do need a replacement at the earliest.
Old 8th November 2012, 01:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
As pointed out earlier - the rear brakes feel like they are drums and are extremely spongy.

The tyres are just plain terrible. I was riding on a damp surface and felt the rear moving out- scary for a split second- decided that next change up - the tyres will happen after the first service also.

So far the bike appears nice - though I am yet to do a tankful to tankful to see how much I am able to get. Not keeping my hopes too high cause of the terrible traffic conditions.
Yes, initially the rear brakes feels like it needs more bite and in fact, I too used the harass the SVC guys to tighten it; bt FYI, it is factory set and not advisable to tighten it any more as it may hamper tire movement and may lead to accidents!! No worries, you'll get used to it as did I; if both brakes are applied simultaneously, you'll see their performance and will have nothing to complain about.

Your point of spongy tires is also a valid one and IMO TVS Chakra tires are the biggest weaklink in an otherwise superb ride; my rear tires wags a lot when crossing the 110kmph mark in free expressways; it unsettles the rider a bit initially. Moreover, their grip on wet surfaces is nothing to talk about. But I'll not suggest you to do a tire replacement right now; at least wait for the warranty to expire and then get some Pirellis for your ride. The ones that are already there will suffice for normal riding.

I am getting a superb 45kmpl at the moment which may come down to 40kmpl under hard riding conditions....maybe because of an excellent run-in period Overall, I am happy with the performance of my RTR 180 and if anyone asks my opinion, I'll happily point out that currently, it is the best ride in the 180 segment (ahem....notwithstanding the tire issue)
Old 8th November 2012, 02:30   #73
BHPian

Thanks Abhinav for your prompt response...

"How long was the bike unused? Was it stored following precautions to prevent rusting?"

It was relatively underused for a period of 24 months. Now it was never completely unused, but dad would start it once every 2 days and drive around for 5-6 kms, and then it would be put back under covers. Dusting once every 2 days, and a water wash (Dad would do a DIY job) once every 2 months or so (given the minimal usage, it helped get any residual dust off).

"Not sure how troublesome or how bad this is. Mine is a 2011 RTR and i dont have to too much of an issue with this. But still you have the fuel tap and reserve in the fuel tap as well. Is this not working too?"

Well, I used to do that on my Bajaj Aspire, and depending on the fuel tap / reserve again, but I just feel that as a matter of principle the TVS folks need to fix it.

"You can opt for MRF Zapper Vyde. Though its 120 section tyre as against the 110 section of stock, it fits without any modifications and also will be cheaper than the pirelli or other imported brands."

Roger! will do the same, also do you recommend changing my front tires as well? The treads are solid as the tyre itself is fairly unused.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

Your storage alone could not have caused rusting, going by the way it was maintained during non-usage. After the water wash, if it was covered without using it, then chances of rust are possible owing to the coastal area you are in.

Quote:
Well, I used to do that on my Bajaj Aspire, and depending on the fuel tap / reserve again, but I just feel that as a matter of principle the TVS folks need to fix it.
Of course they have to fix it. They have changed the speedo console for a few of the first lot of RTR's so see if you can get that changed. I only meant to say that it is not very worrisome that you will be left stranded because you have the fuel tap as the back up.

Quote:
Roger! will do the same, also do you recommend changing my front tires as well? The treads are solid as the tyre itself is fairly unused.
If you can, it is better to change the front as well. Though the tread might be good, non-use for nearly 24 months would have considerably hardened the tyre. Get a pair of good tyres for the front as well. I had conti-go tubeless in the front for the RTR160 before and it was a decent tyre for its price.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 8th November 2012 at 12:31.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, initially the rear brakes feels like it needs more bite and in fact, I too used the harass the SVC guys to tighten it; bt FYI, it is factory set and not advisable to tighten it any more as it may hamper tire movement and may lead to accidents!! No worries, you'll get used to it as did I; if both brakes are applied simultaneously, you'll see their performance and will have nothing to complain about.

Your point of spongy tires is also a valid one and IMO TVS Chakra tires are the biggest weaklink in an otherwise superb ride; my rear tires wags a lot when crossing the 110kmph mark in free expressways; it unsettles the rider a bit initially. Moreover, their grip on wet surfaces is nothing to talk about. But I'll not suggest you to do a tire replacement right now; at least wait for the warranty to expire and then get some Pirellis for your ride. The ones that are already there will suffice for normal riding.

I am getting a superb 45kmpl at the moment which may come down to 40kmpl under hard riding conditions....maybe because of an excellent run-in period Overall, I am happy with the performance of my RTR 180 and if anyone asks my opinion, I'll happily point out that currently, it is the best ride in the 180 segment (ahem....notwithstanding the tire issue)
Hi @SJD@NewDelhi

Congrats for having a good ride & a good experience overall. However, I would recommend you two things (learnt from ownership of Fireo F2):
1. Get good tyres, if you have funds, I had numerous scary & near death experiences because of TVS Srichakras (now Eurogrip). But things improved considerably after I changed tyres to Ceat make. You can go for MRF's as well.
2. Get your oil checked & changed in between service intervals as I believe they only top up the oil (like all service centers). This will improve your bike's life & performance.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks