Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 00:02   #166

re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Went to the service centre again, they finally said the problem was with the TPS and I had a burst o-ring. The bike seems to be better, but will only know for sure once it's started cold and the oil has had time to leak(I hope not!). Cable was changed about 50km ago anyway.

Thanks Jaggu and Rahul.

Pratik, I was never a fan of revving hard; but on the duke, it's a sound, and feeling, that is quite enjoyable (for me). Comfort is not its strongest point. I find it fairly ergonomic but a long ride will make you sore and if you have a pillion rider, they may be sore with you! I agree with many of the others in that it's a bike you must ride before deciding. It's a great bike, service issues notwithstanding, but not everyone will like it. It is certainly very different from a bullet!

Thanks

Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:12   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
No in my case the RPM used to increase when moving the steering from side to side. I think you need to clean your throttle body and cable as Jaggu replied. IMO duke is not very comfortable bike, the seat is very thin and the suspension is hard and light weight of bike does not help either. Test ride it and you will get a better idea. 30kmpl is easily doable, i get around 28-30 with shifting at 5-6k rpm, if you push it further it will drop to 25kmpl levels. Altho i haven't tested the FE recently, these days i just fill and ride, with petrol prices rising so much i have stopped thinking about it You can ride it without revving but its very boring and does not sound very refined, again i will say, take a test ride.
Thank you rahul for the fair opinion in spite owning a duke, i have seen people always exaggerating about the performance of the vehicle they own. I went to the ktm showroom which has just opened up recently, initially they didn't have any vehicles for test drive, but couple of days back i got a chance to ride the vehicle. I booked the vehicle and will be getting the delivery on 27 october. I have a query- while i started the vehicle and tried to drive normally as i do on other vehicles, duke stalled every single time. Then i had to revv hard to run the vehicle, i wanted to know is it how this vehicle is been drove? Or else it was the problem with particular vehicle? Because every single time when i started the vehicle and tried to run simply in 1st gear, the vehicle stalled! i liked the vehicle been light and the sitting posture was up straight, only the legs are been bent in the backward direction while driving, which is not a big issue for me... But i would sincerely appreciate your inputs which you gave me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post
Went to the service centre again, they finally said the problem was with the TPS and I had a burst o-ring. The bike seems to be better, but will only know for sure once it's started cold and the oil has had time to leak(I hope not!). Cable was changed about 50km ago anyway. Thanks Jaggu and Rahul. Pratik, I was never a fan of revving hard; but on the duke, it's a sound, and feeling, that is quite enjoyable (for me). Comfort is not its strongest point. I find it fairly ergonomic but a long ride will make you sore and if you have a pillion rider, they may be sore with you! I agree with many of the others in that it's a bike you must ride before deciding. It's a great bike, service issues notwithstanding, but not everyone will like it. It is certainly very different from a bullet! Thanks Thanks
Thank you for sharing and suggesting your experience, i took the test drive and felt satisfied, so booked the bike immediately. It was really tough for me to shift from RE to duke. I am loyal customer of RE and till date all 3 bikes were of RE only, but due to severe backache i was unable to ride CL 350 as it weighted a lot, otherwise during running mode i had no issues. Traffic here has worsened and i fell down twice and literally had to call people from around to pickup the bike because i couldn't bend and pickup such a heavy vehicle. I still remember the date when i finally made my mind to shift from RE, will surely miss those days with CL 350. I was also getting around 40-45 kmpl in the city. Fingers crossed hope this baby doesn't remind me of my old days with CL 350. Initially it was duke which i could only think of replacing from RE ,in spite been a different segment. Thanks again for helping me out.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts. This avoids back to back posts. See this for detailed instructions on how to use this feature.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th June 2015 at 11:19. Reason: Posts merged
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:31   #168

[quote="pratikjammy87;3272858"] Congrats on booking the bike!

Glad to have been of help, the forum was a large part of my own decision making. I don't know anything about the mileage though, I have a short 3.5 km daily commute and it's all in second gear!

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with the dealership/initial ownership soon.

Cheers!
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:03   #169
Senior - BHPian

So rode the D390 finally and it was amazing experience. Went to get delivery of a D390 for one of my senior at office. Delivery was little delayed so took a extended TD of D390. After delivery rode the new D390 for almost 75kms. very bad decision.

I though D200 was pretty fast but D390 was on a whole new level :o, IMO it revs equally fast as D200 only the speed increases at much faster pace. second gear full throttle was a big surprise to me, now D200 feels very slow lol. Tyres are much much better in grip even in not so perfect tarmac. I also felt the tyres had more rounded profile which help in cornering and bike was almost getting in the corner automatically with very less input. ABS sure is a lifesaver. I am very tempted to upgrade now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rahulkool/10416546454/
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 08:14   #170
BHPian

Hello everyone,
First of all thanks for your extended support because of which i am a proud owner of duke 200. I was not in town on the delivery day, so had my bike delivered my sales guy at my place, but one thing which almost all owners have face is the bad behavior, i too was not different, dealer was not taking any interest in the sales procedure, amateur sales team ( even didn't know the actual on road price).
I will mention every single details once i will post my ownership experience, but seriously i didn't expected this sort of behavior from the company, which is initially making its base strong here in india . Their behavior was like; they many customers in hand if not you, then there are many to buy this vehicle. Anyways yesterday i completed 100 kms on ODO, and have a question that whenever i halt my bike even after running in short distance, i smell a very different odor which is some sort Of plastic burning? Is it a common issue?
Old 1st February 2015, 12:44   #171
Senior - BHPian

Guys need to change rear tyre on my duke. There is some thread left but its losing air in 4-5 day, pressure falls yo 20-22 level from 32. Got it checked and there were two very small puncture. What should I get ? Need a tyre which is tougher, not much bothered about the grip as road are in bad shape where I mostly use my bike.

I forgot to update, found a solution for malfunctioning switch gear WD40, every 3 months or so I use it and so far working flawlessly. Chain is making some noise, will change in next service if required.

Bike has done about 18k kms, have to give it for service in next 500kms.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 1st February 2015 at 12:49.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:11   #172
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Gave the bike for 18k Kms service 4th march and received it on 5th march. (service report for 13k kms is not posted on this thread, will try to find the bill and update)

Complains as below-
Regular service with oil and filters change
Accelerator and clutch cable change(i change them at 5k interval)
Excessive Noise and vibration from chain
Few LED not functioning in the left indicator
Left rvm to be replaced

Here is the service bill
KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-new-doc-1_1.jpg

Everything was taken care off, when i collected the bike it was not cleaned properly, upon complaining they cleaned it again. There is also small scratch on the right side tank panel, which the service advisor insisted that was there when i gave the bike. Had a argument with him but felt like talking to a wall so left it.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 31st March 2015 at 13:13.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:48   #173
BHPian

Hi rahul, did you change the tyres yet? i would suggest michelin radial, about 11k for a set and works like a charm, i got mine installed at about 15k kms, there was plenty of tread left on the mrf, but the compound got hard after few track sessions and theres always invisible wear at the center patch which will deteriorate the cornering feel. If on a budget get a new set of stock mrf. You will absolutely love the bike with the new tyres.

My bikes chain set was replaced at 10,000kms (Total odo 16.5k kms now) as it was slack and knockking around, now again the knocking has started and wont subside with slack adjustment, i am in for another chain replacemnet i believe . i guess the duke chain has a tendency to expand and hit the swingarm bottom. Have you had a similar issue on yours?

Also, why did you have to replace the steering cone set? did you experience free play or clanking noise in potholes?

I heard the new ktm duke/RC comes with reduced throttle action due to a change in the throttle pulley, did you get that installed by any chance??
Old 31st March 2015, 14:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
Hi rahul, did you change the tyres yet? i would suggest michelin radial, about 11k for a set and works like a charm, i got mine installed at about 15k kms, there was plenty of tread left on the mrf, but the compound got hard after few track sessions and theres always invisible wear at the center patch which will deteriorate the cornering feel. If on a budget get a new set of stock mrf. You will absolutely love the bike with the new tyres.

My bikes chain set was replaced at 10,000kms (Total odo 16.5k kms now) as it was slack and knockking around, now again the knocking has started and wont subside with slack adjustment, i am in for another chain replacemnet i believe . i guess the duke chain has a tendency to expand and hit the swingarm bottom. Have you had a similar issue on yours?

Also, why did you have to replace the steering cone set? did you experience free play or clanking noise in potholes?

I heard the new ktm duke/RC comes with reduced throttle action due to a change in the throttle pulley, did you get that installed by any chance??
Hey, i have not changed my tyre but i have to in next 2k kms. I have not ridden the bike the way it supposed to be in past 1 year hehe.
so tyre thread is not that bad, mostly i am riding within town with moderate speeds. But this time i am not bothered about grip but need tougher tyre as faced at least 3 punchers with this soft compound tyre, roads are not very good here.

My chain was ok but got loose and i got it adjusted at local mechanic shop and then it started making noise and there was some vibration also, i am not sure if it was his mistake or chain was gone, anyway it lasted for 18k kms, so no complains there.

There was some play in steering cone and it was replaced in the last service. I am not very sure, will check and update.

I don't feel any difference in the throttle play, i guess they have used the old cable.

Another problem cropped up last week. When i turned the steering to right the bike will switch off. It happened few times and within a km of so bike was switching off with any steering movement. when i checked the wiring on the right side of steering wheel, found that pulling that towards the top solved the problem. So got a rope and tied the cable to top of the chassis. just below the steering wheel. Rode very carefully as the wiring was pulled with the rope and turing the steering left could damage the wiring.

Didnt used the bike for couple of day and didnt wanted to risk it taking to the bike in this condition to the service center. I thought there might be some loose connection and will check on sunday.

Well i did opened the bike for checking and upon inspection found the broken wire. It was inside platic cover with whole bunch of wires with lot of insulation tape on top. The inside wiring was completely broken but as the plastic part was still intact on top portion, pulling it upward connected the wire. Below image explains it, i know my paint skills are too good

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-bike.jpg

Then came the difficult part of joing the wire together. the plastic insulation was very hard and it was a high gauge wire, so it was impossible to just twist and connect. Its also in very odd place and was very difficult to access. Had to remove 3-4 cable ties below the petrol tank to loosen the whole wiring, but still it was very difficult to work on the wire.
Only solution was to use soldering iron. Luckly nearby shop was open, bought soldering iron, solder and paste. tried calling one electrician but he was busy, i had to again use my elite soldering skill, its better than my paint skills . here are some pics.

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_121008.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_121024.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_122509.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_122544.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_134121.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_20150329_134602.jpg

Last edited by Rahulkool : 31st March 2015 at 14:57.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:48   #175
BHPian

We have a KTM 200 which has run 20K kms and turning 2 years in this October. The bike has been giving a few unexpected probs off late, like battery not charging etc.

Changed the battery, the problem persisted, and then learnt it was because of the coil. The coil was replaced under warranty at the KTM Bajaj service centre at Indiranagar.

We ride the bike to office the next day and then we see the coolant leaking. Took the bike to the KTM Bajaj service centre at ECity and it seems the radiator needs a replacement as there is a damage in it.

The radiator is costing 4K and I am surprised that a bike under 2 years with no physical damage is having an issue which warrants a radiator replacement.

Anybody know if this can be changed under warranty? Has someone come across the same set of problems that I face with the KTM 200.
Old 11th June 2015, 22:46   #176
BANNED

Hi Guys,
I have been an Avenger owner for about 8 years. The change bug bit me recently and I have been looking for a sportier bike ( and image).
I am NOT going to let the mid forties be a dampener of my desires !
Looking for an easy and compact bike got me onto the Duke 200.
Used bikes are aplenty on olx and quikr.
I have shortlisted and test ridden a few.
Some observations after riding a one year old 200 which has done 9500 km are:-
- The chain made a noise on cutting throttle
- the rear tails out badly on using rear brakes only
- the tyres on a May 2014 bike were marked 2412 ie mid 2012 vintage
- exhaust pipe had considerable blackening
- May 2014 bike had insurance dated April 2014
Also insurance doc has engine and chassis number but not Regn number.

what are your comments on these issues my esteemed friends ?
How do I make sure I am buying a genuine mileage vehicle?

What is the warranty on a KTM Duke 200 ?
Old 12th June 2015, 08:45   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
- the rear tails out badly on using rear brakes only

From my experience of driving the D200 for over 2 years now:-
rear should not tail out immediately when only rear brakes are applied. It only tails out when you apply rear brakes followed by the front, and that too depends on the speed. It doesn't happen instantly.

Quote:
- the tyres on a May 2014 bike were marked 2412 ie mid 2012 vintage
strange, unless he got the tires changed and got an older stocked tire.

Quote:
- May 2014 bike had insurance dated April 2014
so the bike was insured before it was delivered. again strange. I have seen bikes being insured a month or so after sale but not before sale.

Quote:
Also insurance doc has engine and chassis number but not Regn number.
if somehow the bike was insured before it was sold it makes sense. But now the insurance is expired, so does the new insurance have number on it.

All in all, a lot of red flags for me to purchase the bike.
Old 12th June 2015, 09:35   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
What is the warranty on a KTM Duke 200 ?

AFAIK, KTM India does not encourage transfer of warranty to the second owner. Get the bike properly assessed by a good ASC or mechanic before you plonk the money down.
Old 12th June 2015, 11:05   #179
BHPian

Insurance date has to be a date equal or greater than the invoice date, I believe.

Also, registration number is added within a few months if RC was not available at the time of purchase of the insurance.

Rear skidding out under rear braking might mean an alignment issue, which might also explain the older tires. Maybe they were changed at the roadside shop.
Old 12th June 2015, 16:05   #180
BANNED

From your responses, it appears that 'dal mein kuch kaala hai'.
Why would the owner change to older tyres unless he switched it with a friend since this one is being sold anyway?
How can insurance be done before regn ? Besides, the seller hasn't renewed the insurance. Another question!
How can the manufacturer refuse warranty to the second owner ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks