Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 00:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Congrats thambi!

I'm surprised you got your bike so soon, has the waiting periods reduced nowadays?
I had booked the bike on 5th feb and got delivery on 8th. They had told 90day time but they had given hint that the bike might reach very early. I guessing that Bajaj wanted to play safe here and delivered few bikes with close watch on any issue which can crop up, typical Bajaj i must say. As they did few years back with P200Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Even first Gen BUSA had center stand optional , even big ninja 14r has center stand accessory . What I ment was they should have designed the chassis to take the center stand as optional .I checked there are no mounting points even if made optional .That would have made cleaning and repairing bike simpler.
Yeah it would have been great, but i think it will be really difficult to design a center stand because of the exhaust there. Does the P200NS comes with a center stand ? You have get swing arm spools and kick stand, that what i am thinking. I have seen the spools for 1.5k on Ebay, those are 10mm and mostly KTMs have 10mm spools but i could not find any information about this. Kick stand i am not sure and as its pretty expensive i would like be 100% sure before investing in one.
Old 15th March 2012, 00:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i think it will be really difficult to design a center stand because of the exhaust there. Does the P200NS comes with a center stand ? You have get swing arm spools and kick stand, that what i am thinking. I have seen the spools for 1.5k on Ebay, those are 10mm and mostly KTMs have 10mm spools but i could not find any information about this. Kick stand i am not sure and as its pretty expensive i would like be 100% sure before investing in one.
Take help of Ravin....errr bottle like I did!

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-bottle.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 15:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
But the power delivery aside, the motor does feel a little crude at few rpm's and the engine screams so much when you are nearing the higher ends of the power band that it almost scares you of blowing up the engine (could free up after i log some miles). But mistake not, as the motor does not vibrate!!! You do feel pulsing vibes lower down the rev range which is quite characteristic and acceptable. Also, The fuelling/Ignition feels mismatched in a narrow region between 1k to 2k rpm where the motor almost dies off and struggles. So its a pain to ride in bumper to bumper traffic if you are not slipping the clutch. But i feel this could be due to the aggressive Cam timing and there is only so much that you can expect from such a tune.
That’s exactly what I had noticed when I followed two KTM990 for less than a kilometer. The traffic was very congested and slow. I could hear the motor blurting out like coming into life every now and then. The riders, both foreigners were trying hard with throttle and clutch to prevent the motor from dying. A sleek machine, but need a ladder to climb onto them-very tall. I think these beast atleast should be kept at 80 to 100kmph to settle down.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it would have been great, but i think it will be really difficult to design a center stand because of the exhaust there. Does the P200NS comes with a center stand ? You have get swing arm spools and kick stand, that what i am thinking. I have seen the spools for 1.5k on Ebay, those are 10mm and mostly KTMs have 10mm spools but i could not find any information about this. Kick stand i am not sure and as its pretty expensive i would like be 100% sure before investing in one.
The 950/990 supermotto has a centrestand as "power part " (page no. 46 of 2012 catalouge, part no. 620.03.022.000). As the 950/990 supermotto also has a below-engine-exhaust, might fit the duke 200 also. Just a suggestion.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: can you give me link to the chain oiling part you had written in your bike's ownership thread, i remember reading that but can't find it.
Here it is. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2391697
Old 15th March 2012, 22:06   #36
BHPian

Did KTM / Bajaj ever test the duke in Indian Monsoons? Bangalore received quite a bit of thunder showers late evening today perfect setting for a test in the wet!
Well! To start off the tires I believe still have to bed in the rear kept locking every time I downshifted but the Duke does not lose its line. Braking on the front is good has good stopping power nevertheless.
The Sad Part the DUKE in the Rain is pain! Its like an "elephant" showers all the muck on the road on it itself! There is water sprayed almost on every part of the bike. The worrying part though is that the front tire kicks up so much slush on to the radiator,engine , coolant pipes etc., wonder what effect it will have in the long run in wetter conditions. Needless to tell anything about the rear tire, sprays water all over right from the number plate the underside of the seat, mono shocks, swing arm and the brake discs.
Cleaning the Duke is another pain and no option of center stand does not help at all.
The dirt in the radiator grill will definitely reduce the cooling efficiency. Opinion guys? anybody who rode in the Rain??
Old 15th March 2012, 23:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Take help of Ravin....errr bottle like I did!
That has be the superman of the bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulivan View Post
That’s exactly what I had noticed when I followed two KTM990 for less than a kilometer. The traffic was very congested and slow. I could hear the motor blurting out like coming into life every now and then. The riders, both foreigners were trying hard with throttle and clutch to prevent the motor from dying. A sleek machine, but need a ladder to climb onto them-very tall. I think these beast atleast should be kept at 80 to 100kmph to settle down.
This stalling problem has been reduced a lot. Havent stalled it in past few days. But again i haven't ridden it much of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
The 950/990 supermotto has a centrestand as "power part " (page no. 46 of 2012 catalouge, part no. 620.03.022.000). As the 950/990 supermotto also has a below-engine-exhaust, might fit the duke 200 also. Just a suggestion.
Will check this tomorrow, if there are any provision to mount center stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks man, will have to try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Did KTM / Bajaj ever test the duke in Indian Monsoons? Bangalore received quite a bit of thunder showers late evening today perfect setting for a test in the wet!
Well! To start off the tires I believe still have to bed in the rear kept locking every time I downshifted but the Duke does not lose its line. Braking on the front is good has good stopping power nevertheless.
The Sad Part the DUKE in the Rain is pain! Its like an "elephant" showers all the muck on the road on it itself! There is water sprayed almost on every part of the bike. The worrying part though is that the front tire kicks up so much slush on to the radiator,engine , coolant pipes etc., wonder what effect it will have in the long run in wetter conditions. Needless to tell anything about the rear tire, sprays water all over right from the number plate the underside of the seat, mono shocks, swing arm and the brake discs.
Cleaning the Duke is another pain and no option of center stand does not help at all.
The dirt in the radiator grill will definitely reduce the cooling efficiency. Opinion guys? anybody who rode in the Rain??
This is my worst nightmare about this bike, The day i saw the bike for the first time i was thinking about this. As the rear and front mud guards are very small, its going to be horrible in rain. I am sure the front tyre will throw a lot of muck on the radiator, and cleaning will be really tough as the fin will bend if you use pressurized water.
Old 15th March 2012, 23:46   #38
BHPian

[/quote] This is my worst nightmare about this bike, The day i saw the bike for the first time i was thinking about this. As the rear and front mud guards are very small, its going to be horrible in rain. I am sure the front tyre will throw a lot of muck on the radiator, and cleaning will be really tough as the fin will bend if you use pressurized water.[/quote]

Also forgot to mention, the USD forks accumulates a lot of dirt as well, and not to be forgotten the rider is gonna take all the showers from all sides.
Now what is the solution>? How do we get the radiator cleaned during the monsoons?? I believe a longer mud guard at the front may help thongs a bit!
Old 16th March 2012, 03:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Starscream, do you have all the company fitted stuff still on - asking because many have removed the rear hugger for the "sporty" naked exposed rear fat tyre look. If you do, then its a worry.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my worst nightmare about this bike, The day i saw the bike for the first time i was thinking about this. As the rear and front mud guards are very small, its going to be horrible in rain. I am sure the front tyre will throw a lot of muck on the radiator, and cleaning will be really tough as the fin will bend if you use pressurized water.
Cleaning the radiator of muck is not difficult.

Just use water directed from a pipe or hose to dislodge the dirt and muck on the fins (you can also gently use your hands to wipe the radiator fins while water flows from the pipe onto the radiator). Ensure water is not sprayed from a pressurized gun or apparatus as it WILL damage the fins and seriously affect the performance of the radiator.

Once the dirt and muck has been dislodged, use a soft toothbrush and while still allowing water to flow down the radiator fins, lightly brush the fins in a vertical motion. Do not brush in horizontal direction as this will bend the fins. This will keep the radiator clean and it has worked perfectly for me and my bike.

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th March 2012 at 10:28.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 20:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^ thanks buddy or other option would be not to take it out in rains

Got the oil changed and chain adjusted today at 400kms, service experience was good and positive. Service engg are knowledgeable at least for the general service. somehow i feel vibs have increased after oil change. Rode in traffic today and yes, fan pumps a lot of hot air. Got a Gift also , attaching below.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Rahulkool : 16th March 2012 at 20:43.
Old 16th March 2012, 22:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the oil changed and chain adjusted today at 400kms, service experience was good and positive. Got a Gift also , attaching below.
Changed oil before 1000 kms ,they did not ask why ? What brand and cost ?.Oil filter also changed ?
Old 16th March 2012, 22:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Changed oil before 1000 kms ,they did not ask why ? What brand and cost ?.Oil filter also changed ?
Yup changed it at 400kms, i have done it for all the cars and bikes i own. ZMA i changed oil at 100,500, 1000kms and there on every 1k kms till 15k then every 2k kms, i know its crazy but aren't we are bunch of crazy enthusiasts
No they didnt asked much, the oil is semi synth 470rs IIRC(brand is motul but no sure, saw big can they were taking out oil, forgot to check the brand, called "Bajaj DTSi oil" ), left the bill in the office. ya Oil filter was also changed 62rs. Will change to synth on first service, they are also ok with if you bring your own oil. Service was good, they let you roam around and you can watch your bike getting serviced, no nonsense like not standing in service area and all as many other service centers.
Old 16th March 2012, 22:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i know its crazy but aren't we are bunch of crazy enthusiasts
No they didnt asked much, the oil is semi synth 470rs
I was thinking to get it changed at 100 or 150 kms .

BTW Both the front and rear suspensions is hard . Did you notice ?
I am keeping the front tyre at 28 and rear at 29 PSI .
Old 17th March 2012, 12:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ thanks buddy or other option would be not to take it out in rains
Unfortunately it doesn't work that well for me. Even if the sun is shining in all its glory it WILL rain if my bike is nicely washed and waxed. You see Mr. Murphy follows me around very closely... and i don't even have a twitter account.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks