Old 22nd June 2012, 14:49   #91
BHPian

re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Duke owners can you tell me where does the temp meter stays in, for me as below

Highway - 7 bars
City - 8 bars (sometimes fans kicks in)
City heavy traffic - 9 bars (fan kicks in regularly)

Is this normal ?

Its pretty normal in hot conditions is what i have noticed .Did Some really hard riding on a brand new bike both on track and off track from 0 kms onwards and the bike has completed over 6k kms without any issues.

prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed that the speedometer is dead accurate on the duke, i mean there is not error which is there on most of the bikes and cars. As i have seen reports of NS200 is having 10% standard error. That alone will justify the higher FE claimed by Bajaj for NS than the Duke.

Also is there anyway to fix a analog RPM meter on duke ? The digital one is of no use :(, i really used to RPM meter on my bike and always feel something is missing on duke.
Old 5th July 2012, 22:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

Not my favourite question even when someone else asks - but what is the mileage that you guys are getting? In city and on longer rides?
Old 6th July 2012, 00:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

Thats what is getting me worried, last tankful i have got 27kmpl(i usually never test FE but i felt few days back that its too less on FE) :o, just today i have filled again, to be sure will do another tankful to tankful test. This is with all mixed riding in city with mostly shifts around 5k rpm and sometimes red lining it. Altho the mileage indicator never shows below 32-35kmpl

If any duke owner can do tankful to tankful test and post here it will be good to compare.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 6th July 2012 at 00:25.
Old 6th July 2012, 14:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thats what is getting me worried, last tankful i have got 27kmpl(i usually never test FE but i felt few days back that its too less on FE) :o, just today i have filled again, to be sure will do another tankful to tankful test. This is with all mixed riding in city with mostly shifts around 5k rpm and sometimes red lining it. Altho the mileage indicator never shows below 32-35kmpl

If any duke owner can do tankful to tankful test and post here it will be good to compare.
This is my Log for FE over the mileage of the KTM {FE (Mileage in km)}. The low FE in the city is primarily because my office is just 5 km from home, and in the cold running of 5 km, the FE drops very low

33.5 (279)
36 (908) [6xx Trip Mileage->908 ODO]
22.5 () [Ripping Week, all accelerations Redlined]
25 (1316) [Office, with lowered down accelerations]
30.9 (1584) [Office + Nandi]
28 (1825) [Office + 2 weeks break + Nandi]
30.73(2081) [Office + Nandi in one week]
27.67(2348) [Office + Jalahalli over 4 weeks]
40 (2691) [Whitefield to IIT-M, Highway Riding at 80kph, ]
35.43(2854) [IIT-M to Pondi and about, Night Riding, again max 80kph, moderate traffic]
38.47(3176) [Pondi to Whitefield via Gingee, 80kph max, Overall FE for the Pondi Trip 38.57 kpl]
25.29(3295) [Office only]
32.16(4368) [Whitefield to Thakur Village 33.36=9.14+5.26+5.57+5.39+8{6.61}]
30.94(5441) [Thakur Village to Whitefield 34.68{36.08}=8.36+8.55+7.84+2.62+8.71{-1.4}] Over FE for Mumbai Trip [(5441-3295)/(31.97+36.08)=31.54kpl]
Dragonheart22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 12:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart22 View Post
This is my Log for FE over the mileage of the KTM {FE (Mileage in km)}. The low FE in the city is primarily because my office is just 5 km from home, and in the cold running of 5 km, the FE drops very low

33.5 (279)
36 (908) [6xx Trip Mileage->908 ODO]
22.5 () [Ripping Week, all accelerations Redlined]
25 (1316) [Office, with lowered down accelerations]
30.9 (1584) [Office + Nandi]
28 (1825) [Office + 2 weeks break + Nandi]
30.73(2081) [Office + Nandi in one week]
27.67(2348) [Office + Jalahalli over 4 weeks]
40 (2691) [Whitefield to IIT-M, Highway Riding at 80kph, ]
35.43(2854) [IIT-M to Pondi and about, Night Riding, again max 80kph, moderate traffic]
38.47(3176) [Pondi to Whitefield via Gingee, 80kph max, Overall FE for the Pondi Trip 38.57 kpl]
25.29(3295) [Office only]
32.16(4368) [Whitefield to Thakur Village 33.36=9.14+5.26+5.57+5.39+8{6.61}]
30.94(5441) [Thakur Village to Whitefield 34.68{36.08}=8.36+8.55+7.84+2.62+8.71{-1.4}] Over FE for Mumbai Trip [(5441-3295)/(31.97+36.08)=31.54kpl]
Thanks for a very detailed info, really appreciate this kind of update. Not very impressive figures for a 200 cc motor I must say. Did you manage to ask the fellow duke owners if their figures are matching yours ?
Old 13th July 2012, 11:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Last tankful to tankful, i have for FE of about 33kmpl, i am now confused, how it can vary so much for same riding conditions. Actually i ripped the bike more this time.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:40   #98

Guys - Great to hear that you all enjoying your Duke. I always have a suspicion when the Bajaj name is attached to something. Does it really have a better quality than Karizma?

Last edited by vtestarossa : 17th July 2012 at 19:04.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtestarossa View Post
Guys - Great to hear that you all enjoying your Duke. I always have a suspicion when the Bajaj name is attached to something. Does it really have a better quality than Karizma?
If you talk about overall quality and look/feel of the components used, Duke is better than ZMA IMO. But if you talk about refinement ZMA is far ahead. Just start both bike and you will know the difference, you just touch the starter button and ZMA it will start without any noise almost immediately. On duke starter motor sounds very crude i don't know if its the correct word to describe the sound, also you have keep the button pressed for 2 secs at least.
Vibration is also high on Duke. Riding position takes sometime to used to on duke but i am comfortable both on Duke and ZMA. Power delivery and exhaust noise is completely insane on Duke . But ya i do miss my ZMA sometime, specially while riding in traffic where low end torque and refined engine really helps.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 17:22   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtestarossa View Post
I graduated to the Duke from a ZMA and the plastics are way better than that on my previous bike.
Even the switchgear (especially the turn indicators) do not get jammed in heavy rains (a frequent problem on my ZMA).

On the engine, it is not as silent as the ZMA but that does not necessarily mean it is less refined (a common misconception IMO). The Duke's engine is buzzy but doesn't "vibrate" at even higher revs and I personally like that character in a bike's engine (my one grouse against Honda engines).

I also found it as stable as the ZMA at triple-digit speeds on flat roads. Uneven roads will limit your speeds since the font suspension is tuned stiffer than the ZMA.
NikhilB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 17:44   #101
BHPian

After 15 years of 2-Stroke biking, I've added a Duke to my stable day before yesterday. Completed around 70 kms on the odo. I'm just loving this animal, Running in is the toughest task as 60 km/hr feels too slow on this bike!

Cheers!
aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 18:02   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
I graduated to the Duke from a ZMA and the plastics are way better than that on my previous bike.
Even the switchgear (especially the turn indicators) do not get jammed in heavy rains (a frequent problem on my ZMA).

On the engine, it is not as silent as the ZMA but that does not necessarily mean it is less refined (a common misconception IMO). The Duke's engine is buzzy but doesn't "vibrate" at even higher revs and I personally like that character in a bike's engine (my one grouse against Honda engines).

I also found it as stable as the ZMA at triple-digit speeds on flat roads. Uneven roads will limit your speeds since the font suspension is tuned stiffer than the ZMA.
The engine does not feel as refined as ZMA, even at redline ZMA engine felt very smooth. Duke feels less refined in comparison but its more eager to rev and gets to the red line much faster than ZMA. Ya regarding vibration i agree with your point, altho there is little vibration on duke its not irritating, and even at higher RPM vibration does not increase. In handling i never thought ZMA was bad but Duke is much much better, its very sharp.

Regarding switch gear, i know its very fancy with backlit and all but lets see how many days it last, one of my friends who has a pulsar told me that these malfunction after rains. Ya ZMA ones used to get little jammed but never malfunction.
Old 12th August 2012, 20:12   #103
BHPian

Hello Rahulkool,

I am out on the great hunt of Which Bike to buy? I, first of all, considered Duke only but, then, various choices in market spoiled me and I was going away from Duke. But, today, read your whole thread and it seems you are satisfies with Duke.

Now, my one question, I am a sedate kind of biker. I personally like to drive at lower rpm's but I also sometimes like to drive at higher speeds:-

-Do you recommend Duke for such type of driving?
-My regular commute would be 20 km's and mostly, bike would be used by me as I also prefer bike to car in traffic conditions. Will it provide me with consistent levels of good FE?
-Handling and Braking, are bike's cup of tea. Has there been ever any major issue regarding engine or gearing or braking with your Duke?

I would be highly obliged if you answer my questions. Should I buy Duke? Is it worth the cash I'd be spending? Waiting for your reply. Thank you.

S@ndy
Old 13th August 2012, 11:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Hello Rahulkool,

I am out on the great hunt of Which Bike to buy? I, first of all, considered Duke only but, then, various choices in market spoiled me and I was going away from Duke. But, today, read your whole thread and it seems you are satisfies with Duke.

Now, my one question, I am a sedate kind of biker. I personally like to drive at lower rpm's but I also sometimes like to drive at higher speeds:-

-Do you recommend Duke for such type of driving?
-My regular commute would be 20 km's and mostly, bike would be used by me as I also prefer bike to car in traffic conditions. Will it provide me with consistent levels of good FE?
-Handling and Braking, are bike's cup of tea. Has there been ever any major issue regarding engine or gearing or braking with your Duke?

I would be highly obliged if you answer my questions. Should I buy Duke? Is it worth the cash I'd be spending? Waiting for your reply. Thank you.

S@ndy
I will not suggest Duke if you like to ride sedately, I have tried riding it slow and i am not half as comfortable as i was on my ZMA. Only after 4k RPM the bike feels alive and smooth. If you have ridden a two stroke bike then you will understand what i am trying to say here. Go for a test ride.

I had not checked FE initially but did for last couple of tankfuls and its in the range of 30-34kmpl, once i even got 27kmpl but may be some mistake in calculations.

Handling and braking it amazing, bike leans in corner effortlessly. One of the best i feel but i have never tried my hand on CBR so can't comment but its on par with the first generation R15. There is a bit of oversteer in the corners but you will get used to it in no time.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th August 2012 at 11:59.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:37   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the speedometer is dead accurate on the duke, i mean there is not error which is there on most of the bikes and cars. As i have seen reports of NS200 is having 10% standard error. That alone will justify the higher FE claimed by Bajaj for NS than the Duke.

Also is there anyway to fix a analog RPM meter on duke ? The digital one is of no use :(, i really used to RPM meter on my bike and always feel something is missing on duke.
I think the NS 200 mileage should be simliar to DUKE in high speeds..
the difference is the low speed. Apparently it is supposed to give better mileage on lower speeds
Quote:

i have a friend who has managed 39 kms/l under normal city conditions in bangalore( not peak hours)
twinblades is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks