Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 15:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda CBR 250R Tire Query

For now the question is for CBR 250R, but I've few more to ask in the forth coming month for my Rx. So I thought of creating a generic one instead of CBR specific.

The center treading on the rear tire on my CBR is completely worn out while the sides are still going strong; Anyway, I decided to get rid off the nonsense Conti-Go hard compound tires that has served 16.3K on ODO.

I'm sticking to the stock size 140/70 R 17 & have a limited selection on the brands to choose from.
1. Dunlop - I really am not impressed with the tread pattern as I tend to believe it doesn't fair well during the rains
Honda CBR 250R Tire Query-tyre.jpg
Image courtesy - srivaastav xBhp

2. Pirelli - Not seen their pattern, but generally there's a word that goes around that these people make good tires, not sure though - 140/70-17 M/C TL 66 SPORTD - MOTORCYCLE - Sport Demon - PIRELLI INDIA

3. MRF - They make Zapper Q in the stock size & I'm very much impressed with their tread pattern as I believe that this is the best tread pattern that I've ever seen which is suited well for rains as well as dry weather - MRF - TYRES

4. Continental - If I don't have any other go, I'm buying this as last option as I do not look forward to buy their hard compound again. Not that its bad as it lasted for 16K kms on a 250cc sports bike, which is very good indeed, but I prefer trying something else to experience the difference - Continental India Limited

5. No Chinese makes even if its made out of Gold

My expectations on the new tire
- Should be a medium compound or soft
- Should last for 8-10K kms on regular street/highway use (may be occasional offroading, but not an important criteria)
- Superior grip on dry & rain that money can buy

Questions
- How can I identify whether the tire is soft/medium/hard compound even if the dealer can't make out the difference?
- Can I down size to 130/70 R17 (Yes Ninja 250R's)? Would could possibly improve or degrade anything significantly on CBR 250R? Consider the fact that I'm not a person who loves cornering on roads.
- I personally like to buy medium compound as I believe its the best balance of providing excellent grip & long life. How far this is true?
- Is the MRF Zapper Q's tread pattern a good selection? How to identify a good tire for good life & grip on both dry & rain based on pattern?
- How far is my assumption true about the Dunlop tires above?

Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 14:16. Reason: Use ONLY our attachment system to upload pictures. Re-uploading the tyre pic
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 10:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tire Thread for Two-Wheeler

Hi!

What does srivaastav have to say about these vis a vis with the Continental? Tread's pattern won't say much about how a tire would behave. And as long as you are on tarmac, not much issues I believe. There is a similar spec tire from Bridgestone as well.

If nothing works, Pirelli would be the best bet, I have used on my P-180 earlier else Contis are good enough. Want proof?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R Tire Query-p1020123.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 10:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

For what it matters, CEAT Vertigo Sport 100/90-17 is absolutely brilliant off the road!

/ for a 2up loaded P180 that is.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sheel - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CEAT Vertigo Sport 100/90-17 is absolutely brilliant off the road!
Sir, please reread the post.I do not want anything other than the stock 140/70 R17 for CBR 250R.

I hope your suggestion helps Pulsar 180 owners.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th September 2020 at 05:33. Reason: Unnecessary bold font, dots and capital letters removed; SMS language corrected
Old 19th March 2012, 12:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why not the KTM 200's rear ? - 150/60 x 17
Old 19th March 2012, 12:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. Dunlop
No personal experience, but as stated by you tread pattern surely looks sad.

Quote:
2. Pirelli -
One of the very first customer of Ninja 250 R shifted to sports demon and after that day he was all gaga over the grip provided by those.

Quote:
3. MRF - They make Zapper Q
I have ridden a CBZ-X shodded with 120 section Zapper-Q on dirt section and it provided zilch grip, the bike was all over the place. Apart from this numerous guys have used this on their P-200/220 and most of they complained about grip/lack of it of with Zapper-Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!
else Contis are good enough. Want proof?
Wow! Where are the chicken stripes Sheel?
Old 19th March 2012, 12:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Why not the KTM 200's rear ? - 150/60 x 17
Simple...
1. Not stock size
2. I don't want fatty tires
3. I'm not a lover for cornering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
No personal experience, but as stated by you tread pattern surely looks sad
I feel they should do fine on dry roads (hopefully they're soft compound), but on rains, I think they'll tend to retain water; not sure though, unless I hear from experts. I've to apologize to Srivatsaav for such a comment!!!

Quote:
One of the very first...provided by those
Lol!!! I know that; but, that's 130/110 instead of 140/110. I really don't know if 130/110 would be of any match. If that's the case, then I don't mind down shifting down the size because I'm not a cornering loving person or a track rider. All I need is a good tire for regular street/long ride use.

Quote:
most of they complained about grip/lack of it of with Zapper-Q.
Shoots!!! I was hoping that tread to be of some good use!!!

Bandhav - Thanks; that sure is a good product review on the tires; I'm looking for some quick guide on learning about the tires so that it not only helps me educate, but also helps me selecting the best out of the lot.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For now the question is for CBR 250R, but I've few more to ask in the forth coming month for my Rx. So I thought of creating a generic one instead of CBR specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For what it matters, CEAT Vertigo Sport 100/90-17 is absolutely brilliant off the road!

/ for a 2up loaded P180 that is.
Quote:
Sheel - Thanks

Saar...pls reread the post...I DO NOT want anything other than the stock 140/70 R17 for CBR 250R

I hope your suggestion helps Pulsar 180 owners
I had read the post accurately, just dropped in a tuppence for the future for others who may need 100/90-17" rear tyre recommendations.

That said, best of luck in your CBR tyre purchase. We rode to Puh and back across some really bad roads and the CBR's tyres (1k old) were the least concerning for my CBR owning friend.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

aargee, I had the same issue with the IRC's too. The center tread had worn off (squared off) while the treads on the sides were good. The tire was acting weird while cornering since it used to bank hard into the turn due to the squared off center area. This was at 17,000 kms and the tire would have lasted at least another 2k kms.

I switched to Pirelli Sport Demon at the rear (140/70/17) and its been 20,000 kms (3k kms on the PSD's) and i am very happy with these. Its not hard and neither too soft also.

The front is still the stock IRC and will be changed over to Pirelli's in some time.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R Tire Query

Note from Support - Thread title edited accordingly. A generic Tire thread catering to all classes and types of motorcycles will be too confusing.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
aargee, I had the same issue with the IRC's too. The center tread had worn off (squared off) while the treads on the sides were good. The tire was acting weird while cornering since it used to bank hard into the turn due to the squared off center area. This was at 17,000 kms and the tire would have lasted at least another 2k kms.

I switched to Pirelli Sport Demon at the rear (140/70/17) and its been 20,000 kms (3k kms on the PSD's) and i am very happy with these. Its not hard and neither too soft also.

The front is still the stock IRC and will be changed over to Pirelli's in some time.
The Pirelli tyres sound like a great choice. Friends who are using it told me that it is a softer compound compared to the likes of Dunlop, MRF etc. Though not for the CBR, I have used MRF, Dunlop tyres on the RE and found that MRF is the tyre that gives me the least confidence!
Old 19th March 2012, 15:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

A friend recently replaced his tyres on CBR250 and got Pirelli sport demon for front and rear,and they cost him around 7K for a pair.
As compared to stock he is gaga over pirelli's.
having used sport demon on the zma i can say,its an excellent tyre.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

RG, one of my friend is using PSD, and his personal reviews were, PSD are good, not long lasting, very prone to punctures, he has used it for appx 5k kms and it would last for another 1k or max 2k kms.
Heard from Nikhil(madhu enterprises) that Michellin would be out, this month end or early april. Would suggest check on it.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 22:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! Where are the chicken stripes Sheel?
Sigh! It isn't mine. Its Doc Arnob's. Mine has a mm left.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
RG, one of my friend is using PSD, and his personal reviews were, PSD are good, not long lasting, very prone to punctures, he has used it for appx 5k kms and it would last for another 1k or max 2k kms.
Heard from Nikhil(madhu enterprises) that Michellin would be out, this month end or early april. Would suggest check on it.
Rahul (not a member here) had put PSD's on his bike long before he sold it. And the last time I saw it (with the new owner, a few months back) the tire was still looking good, even after clocking around 16,000 kms. That said, his bike has been ridden all the way to Rajasthan, Bihar, Ganapatipule, and a LOT more. And Rahul is a pretty quick on the bike. So the PSD's do have a decent amount of life Lets see how long mine lasts with the track days and touring put in.

Below is a pic from one of our rides (Ooty). The one on the right is Rahul's bike. This also helps in comparing an IRC tire with the PSD. Both are 130/70/17. The PSD's have a more rounded profile compared to the slightly flat center on the IRC.

Honda CBR 250R Tire Query-dsc_1100.jpg

P.S. Great to hear about the michelin's.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th March 2012 at 12:03.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks