Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Tour of Bhutan

Registrations are now open for Royal Enfield Tour of Bhutan scheduled between 5th May and 15th May.

Ride across the border on yet another mesmerising, adventurous and challenging ride with your Royal Enfield motorcycle on the Royal Enfield Tour of Bhutan. From the tea gardens of West Bengal in Bagdogra ride through the Landlocked Indian state nestled in the Himalayas- Sikkim and ride in to the untouched kingdom of Bhutan. If twists and turns are your thing then this is the place to ride with the average number of bends per kilometre being ten! One of the untouched regions where the only place you’ll find traffic lights in the country is in the capital of Bhutan, Thimpu.

Source:
Welcome to Royal Enfield Motorcycles | Motorcycle India

Anyone going?
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 12:30   #2
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Tour of Bhutan

Great, I just wanted to enquire about the same thing and didn't find any so far.
This should be a amazing ride and would like to know how many are going from Bangalore. I have registered on tje site but looks like you have to fill a form and pay a tour fee of Rs.22,500 via DD. But isn't this expensive for a 10 day tour, that too without lunch?

Last edited by zaks : 19th March 2012 at 12:31.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Great, I just wanted to enquire about the same thing and didn't find any so far.
This should be a amazing ride and would like to know how many are going from Bangalore. I have registered on tje site but looks like you have to fill a form and pay a tour fee of Rs.22,500 via DD.
I'm interested but any idea if a visa or permit is required? BTW you can also pay online via credit card, time running out though!
Old 19th March 2012, 13:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This should be a amazing ride and would like to know how many are going from Bangalore. I have registered on tje site but looks like you have to fill a form and pay a tour fee of Rs.22,500 via DD. But isn't this expensive for a 10 day tour, that too without lunch?
Don't see an itinerary on the landing page without registration. Whether INR 22.5k is expensive depends on where does the trip start from and what else is included.
Usually, RE takes good care of you and for a far flung trip to a place like Bhutan, 22.5k sounds reasonable. Lunch is something that will be on the go and going by what you get in Leh, local food should be reasonable. I would add another 5k max over the 10days from your pocket for food etc. Fuel of course is a BIG extra and not included in that 5k! I wonder if RE includes fuel in that 22.5k?
What could prove expensive is you & the bike reaching the point where the ride starts and back. Like the whole exercise of shipping myself (by flight) and my bike (by AFL) to Delhi and back from Pune costs me as much as the actual 10day ride in Ladakh!
Old 19th March 2012, 14:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Don't see an itinerary on the landing page without registration. Whether INR 22.5k is expensive depends on where does the trip start from and what else is included.
START - BAGDOGRA
END - GUWAHATI

So, you can ride from wherever you are, to and from these place, or Fly!
Old 19th March 2012, 14:23   #6
BANNED

All details are available under useful links under that page on the LHS.
Itinerary:

0 FRI 4thMay Scrutiny & Briefing
1 SAT 5th May Bagdogra Darjeeling 100 kms
2 SUN 6th May Darjeeling Pelling 110 kms
3 MON 7th May Pelling Gangtok 145 kms
4 TUE 8th May Gangtok Phuentsolling 220 kms
5 WED 9th May Phuentsolling Thimpu 176 kms
6 THU 10th May Thimpu
7 FRI 11th May Thimpu Bumathang 220 Kms
8 SAT 12th May Bumathang Mongar 200 kms
9 SUN 13th May Mongar Tashigang 100 kms
10 MON 14th May Tashigang Somdrup Jongka 180 kms
11 TUE 15th May Somdrup Jongka Guwahati 110 kms

Of course fuel is not included in above price but would cost another 2.5k for 1200km journey takign an average of 35kmpl.

Last edited by zaks : 19th March 2012 at 14:26.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 14:36   #7
BHPian

Yeah, at first glance it seems a little steep, add to it the fuel expenses, to and fro train/flight tickets and transport of the motorcycle from Bangalore to Siliguri. But I've registered anyway.

Upon enquiry, I learned that RE is still contemplating whether to allow pillion riders. The wife is really keen on joining.

Anyone else from Bangalore going? We can plan motorcycle transport together..
Old 19th March 2012, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm interested but any idea if a visa or permit is required? BTW you can also pay online via credit card, time running out though!
No visa required. A valid Indian passport or Voter ID card is sufficient for proof of citizenship. Life and accident insurance is mandatory, so is signing a waiver. From what I hear, safety gear and motorcycles are scrutinized thoroughly as well, so meeting the requirements is absolutely necessary.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:58   #9
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 15:19.
zaks is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th March 2012, 15:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All details are available under useful links under that page on the LHS.
Itinerary:

0 FRI 4thMay Scrutiny & Briefing
1 SAT 5th May Bagdogra Darjeeling 100 kms
2 SUN 6th May Darjeeling Pelling 110 kms
3 MON 7th May Pelling Gangtok 145 kms
4 TUE 8th May Gangtok Phuentsolling 220 kms
5 WED 9th May Phuentsolling Thimpu 176 kms
6 THU 10th May Thimpu
7 FRI 11th May Thimpu Bumathang 220 Kms
8 SAT 12th May Bumathang Mongar 200 kms
9 SUN 13th May Mongar Tashigang 100 kms
10 MON 14th May Tashigang Somdrup Jongka 180 kms
11 TUE 15th May Somdrup Jongka Guwahati 110 kms

Of course fuel is not included in above price but would cost another 2.5k for 1200km journey takign an average of 35kmpl.
Thanks! I wouldn't assume a mileage of over 25-27kmpl in the hills so around 3.5k for petrol. Minor change! Does it also include support cost? Say a flat tyre or in case you need to fix an issue (mostly with clutch & electricals on these rides). I've been jinxed so these costs anyway end up hitting me and pushing my overall expense upwards.
Also, i see that you actually hit Bhutan only 5th Day (Day 4). Just an observation, not that the ride from Bagdogra to Phuentsolling isn't going to be fun.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:33   #11
BANNED

Everything nicely explained here-
Welcome to Royal Enfield Motorcycles | Motorcycle India

In short, nothing other than bed and breakfast is included in the expense.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 11:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Would the eligibility be open for Enfield Bullet owners? Also would there be a detailed Plan Of Action be put up for every day? Am sure doing 100 kms in a day would not need the whole day.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Would the eligibility be open for Enfield Bullet owners? Also would there be a detailed Plan Of Action be put up for every day? Am sure doing 100 kms in a day would not need the whole day.
The ride is open for all Bullet/RE owners. 100+ kms and a whole lot of sightseeing along the way of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Minor change! Does it also include support cost? Say a flat tyre or in case you need to fix an issue (mostly with clutch & electricals on these rides). I've been jinxed so these costs anyway end up hitting me and pushing my overall expense upwards.
Backup vehicle will trail with an ER guy and a mechanic, one piece of luggage weighing 15kg will be carried by the backup vehicle. So there will be support, but you are expected to carry common spares.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:15   #14
BHPian

Transporting a bike

Thinking of going. What is the best way of transporting a bike from Hyderabad to Bagdogra? (without riding it, it will be too hot in May)
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:40   #15
BHPian

Re: Transporting a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Thinking of going. What is the best way of transporting a bike from Hyderabad to Bagdogra? (without riding it, it will be too hot in May)
Transport the motorcycle either on the train or through GATI. If you take the train option, take it as accompanied luggage and don't book it as a parcel. IMHO, GATI is more reliable. It might cost your about 3k to book your RE to Siliguri.
Gati - A leading Express Distribution and Supply Chain service provider

Soon enough RE will set up an online forum for all registered participants where all such common queries will be answered and the trip plan will come together. From what I gather, they will lend us a helping hand in getting our beasts there as well.

Last edited by reswaran : 23rd March 2012 at 10:45. Reason: Missed out information
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks