Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 17:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Issues with my '04 Pulsar 150 Dtsi ES

Hi all, I have some queries related to my Pulsar 150 ES UG2 '04 make. It has done close to 40K kms. I regularly service it in every 2k-2.4k kms and have changed the following till date:

- rear shocks changed to gas charged nitrox unit by previous owner(i bought it used at 17k kms).

- a rusted silencer was replaced with a exhaustec black one.
Result: Better lower RPM pull but the top end feels strained. It is very happy till 80-90kmph but runs out of breath thereafter. Any reason and solution???

- rear tyre was changed and upgraded to Ceat 100/90 at 31k kms.

- a MF battery at 37k kms.

- small items like brake pads(a couple of times) and disc pads(once).

It returns me 50-55kmpl in city and 60+ on highway with ample amount of throttle wringing from me.

Issues to be addressed:

1) Drop in acceleration: I feel a drop in acceleration. It is ok when I ride alone but feels slow and a bit strained when there is a pillion rider. May be i am expecting more unfairly. It goes till 80-90 kmph with pillion,haven't oppurtunity to go faster but i feel it will struggle.

2) Light: It is the old version with round headlamp. Though the reflector is in very good condition,the lighting is poor. Any suggestion for bulb upgrade(also may be bulb holder upgrade???)?

3) What is the life of stock chain sprockets? My local mechanic said the set would last another 10-15k kms when i showed my bike at 35k kms.

4) What is the life the stock clutch?

Any help regarding to the above queries would be very helpful. Also if anyone could suggest me a good mechanic in Bangalore to carry out any of the above works.
I also plan to repaint my bike as its stock paint has started peeling off. Suggestions regarding a good paint shop also needed.

NOTE to Moderators: I posted in an existing thread and got no response for a long time so i started a new thread. If unacceptable then please delete it.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:25   #2
BANNED

Re: Issues with my '04 Pulsar 150 Dtsi ES - Help needed

Don't mind but best solution is sell it off, it doesn't carries so much value to restore by putting again half of it's cost.
Old 27th March 2012, 00:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi all, I have some queries related to my Pulsar 150 ES UG2 '04 make. It has done close to 40K kms. I regularly service it in every 2k-2.4k kms and have changed the following till date:
I have some doubts about the model year, from most of your description the bike sounds like Pulsar Classic & not a UG which came after the DTSi, at best it could be a DTSi 150 non-ES as that was the only one which sported the round headlamp last.

I have some questions, what size tires does your bike has? 17 inch or 18 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Don't mind but best solution is sell it off, it doesn't carries so much value to restore by putting again half of it's cost.
Well depends, the Bajaj spares are quite cheap plus he is gettinga good mileage. But if this is the classic model or the first DTSi then sourcing it might be difficult.

So lets go one by one on your issues

1) Drop in acceleration compared to when or what? Are you comparing it to when you bought it or with a new Pulsar 150? Also did you notice this drop after tire upgrade?

When was the last time you changed the air filter?

2) There are not many options, infact just one, getting the Eliminator coils will make it generate more current after which you can put a brighter bulb(search for this upgrade on forum, you will find more information)

3) Sprocket life depends on lot of factors but usually they last well

4) Well Pulsar clutches are known to give up any time, while low pickup suggests clutch going bad, your mileage still looks fine

We have a well known Bajaj Auto Center called Auto Service, here are the details.

Auto Service
#37, 28th Cross,
Industrial Area,
Banashankari -2 stg,
Bangalore -560 070
Tel: 080 2671 1132/ 2774
Help line: +91 9243 11 2244

Hope this helps
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 09:19   #4
BHPian

I have a 2006 pulsar 150 DTSi ES (Analog Instrument Cluster and one down four up gearing). From the first day I always had the feeling that it lacked the punch in the pick up of other pulsars I had ridden. With a pillion rider, the engine felt @ strain. Also knocking sound was quite audible while acceleration. Though Its still with me in perfect condition and giving a good mileage of 46-49 kmpl within the city.

The bike has been serviced regularly and the rear brake pads were changed twice. At around 26k kms, the sprocket gave up and it was replaced with a new one. Also, the mechanic said that the engine revs are not being translated into actual speed (which i also agreed) because if the weak clutch. Got the clutch plate changed too. After that the gear changes have become quite smooth and the pick up is better by 15-20%.

Got it serviced yesterday at 29600 kms and reported excessive wobbling. The mechanic said its due to loose swing-arm and hardened tyres. The swing arm bush were cleaned, greased and the assembly was tightened. But i couldn't judge the level of wobbling well. What could be the reason of wobbling? Are tyres responsible for it? Was the mechanic right? After the clutch change the knocking sound was quite less but it has risen again after yesterdays service. Need to get it fixed soon.

(I get the service done at an Independent Mechanic since I have found that the A.S.S.C of Bajaj sucks a big time)

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 27th March 2012 at 09:23.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 09:41   #5
BHPian

1) Drop in acceleration: I feel a drop in acceleration. It is ok when I ride alone but feels slow and a bit strained when there is a pillion rider. May be i am expecting more unfairly. It goes till 80-90 kmph with pillion,haven't oppurtunity to go faster but i feel it will struggle.
First pulsars degrades faster and there will not be the punch like when it is new.
second check the air -fuel mixture I feel that you are running on lean mixture (60kpl on highway with 100/90).
Check the clutch may be its nearing end of its life. In normal casese it should last 30-35k kms.
Decarb the head and adjust tappets if not done.

2) Light: It is the old version with round headlamp. Though the reflector is in very good condition,the lighting is poor. Any suggestion for bulb upgrade(also may be bulb holder upgrade???)?
IMO round headlights are always better and have a better beam, Check the reflector and lens for scratches .Change the lens if required.
The wiring might not be putting out the required wattage for the bulb since the electricals are old.
Alternately you can try 60/55w connected directly from battery.

3) What is the life of stock chain sprockets? My local mechanic said the set would last another 10-15k kms when i showed my bike at 35k kms.
It depends. If there is a chain cover and lubed well it will last for 30-40k. Also depends how well it is tightened.
Pls see 1.

Last edited by bullboy : 27th March 2012 at 09:43.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 09:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have some doubts about the model year, from most of your description the bike sounds like Pulsar Classic & not a UG which came after the DTSi, at best it could be a DTSi 150 non-ES as that was the only one which sported the round headlamp last.

Thanks for your help. Will try out the service centre next time.

Mine is the first Dtsi model with ES,18 inch wheels.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
I am emotionally attached with my bike. Bought it used 3 years ago with 17k kms on clock for 20k. Have maintained it reasonably well since then. I get tempted to buy the new P180 or 220 but can't make up my mind to sell this off. Also I feel it won't fetch any good price. Any comments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Thanks for your help. Will try out the service centre next time.

Mine is the first Dtsi model with ES,18 inch wheels.

Well depends, the Bajaj spares are quite cheap plus he is gettinga good mileage. But if this is the classic model or the first DTSi then sourcing it might be difficult.
Till now I haven't faced issues to source parts for my bike. I get it Bajaj A** or the local dealers easily.

So lets go one by one on your issues

1) Drop in acceleration compared to when or what? Are you comparing it to when you bought it or with a new Pulsar 150? Also did you notice this drop after tire upgrade?
I feel it has deteriorated over the past few months,it was better earlier. Also it is quite lower than say a 1-2 year old Pulsar.

When was the last time you changed the air filter?
Don't remember,may 1.5-2 years ago,but I do get it cleaned once every 4-5k kms. Recently it was cleaned 1.5k kms ago.

2) There are not many options, infact just one, getting the Eliminator coils will make it generate more current after which you can put a brighter bulb(search for this upgrade on forum, you will find more information)
The bulb socket is like a regular home bulb/cfl with 2 pins on each side. Doesn't the new halogens come with 3 vertical pins,rather than horizontal pins?? Correct me if I am wrong. If I am right then do I need to change the socket as my reflector is bright enough with hardly any scratches.

3) Sprocket life depends on lot of factors but usually they last well.
Mine have lasted 40k kms. It was cut once but the locked was replaced with a new one. My mechanic said the chain was in good condition and there was no need to replace it at around 32k kms.

4) Well Pulsar clutches are known to give up any time, while low pickup suggests clutch going bad, your mileage still looks fine
So should I replace my clutch?? I am holding it back as I didn't want to open my engine/gear box as long as possible as once opened,they lose their reliability and small creeping problem do tend to dog it thereafter.

Also could you suggest any performance clutch/air filter upgrade?

We have a well known Bajaj Auto Center called Auto Service, here are the details.

Auto Service
#37, 28th Cross,
Industrial Area,
Banashankari -2 stg,
Bangalore -560 070
Tel: 080 2671 1132/ 2774
Help line: +91 9243 11 2244

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
First pulsars degrades faster and there will not be the punch like when it is new.
second check the air -fuel mixture I feel that you are running on lean mixture (60kpl on highway with 100/90).
Check the clutch may be its nearing end of its life. In normal casese it should last 30-35k kms.
Decarb the head and adjust tappets if not done.
No haven't yet opened my engine or done any work in or around it(due to above mentioned reason). Will do the decarb and tappet adjustments in the next service.

So should I replace my clutch? I am holding it back as I didn't want to open my engine/gear box as long as possible as once opened,they lose their reliability and small creeping problem do tend to dog it thereafter.

Also could you suggest any performance clutch/air filter upgrade?
IMO round headlights are always better and have a better beam, Check the reflector and lens for scratches .Change the lens if required.
The wiring might not be putting out the required wattage for the bulb since the electricals are old.
Alternately you can try 60/55w connected directly from battery.
Lens and reflector are in pretty good condition with hardly any scratches. Should I change the wiring set?
It depends. If there is a chain cover and lubed well it will last for 30-40k. Also depends how well it is tightened.
Mine have lasted till 40k kms till date. Is it due for change?
Pls see 1.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Issues to be addressed:

You can change / clean the Air Filter, replace Spark Plug and watch the difference. Also make sure your tires are properly inflated while carrying a pillion, especially the rear tire. Also check if the tire has worn out. Too much wear can result in more area touching the road and adding friction and thus more load on engine

Same wattage halogen bulb should be a straight fit without any modification. Try Philips Extreme Vision.

I changed my sprocket at 25k for Karizma. Best to get it replaced if the chain cannot be tightened further.

Depends on your riding. I have never changed the clutch plates even after 60k on my earlier bike, Bajaj Caliber.
The above I have suggested will not be hard on your pocket and you can try these suggestions with ease. I second the thought that you should get rid of your bike and get another one instead of spending a lot of amount on refurbishment. All the Best.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issues with my '04 Pulsar 150 Dtsi ES

Quote:
1) Drop in acceleration:
Considering the age of the vehicle, I guess it should be the clutch acting up. Is the clutch slipping? Other than that, clean the Air Filter, CLean the Carburattor, Clean/Replace Spark Plugs.

Quote:
3) What is the life of stock chain sprockets?
Life of the sprockets depends on some factors. On sudden acceleration, does the chain slip?
Quote:
Again, life of the clutch depends on some riding factors. Does your clutch slip? Whats the RPM, when the vehicle is cruising in 5th @ 60kmph. On sudden throttle inputs, does the vehicle respond accordingly, or just rpm increases, and slowly speed increases?
Old 27th March 2012, 10:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
The above I have suggested will not be hard on your pocket and you can try these suggestions with ease. I second the thought that you should get rid of your bike and get another one instead of spending a lot of amount on refurbishment. All the Best.
Already changed the pair of spark plugs about 4k kms ago. Rear tyre was changed to 100/90 Ceat at 31k Kms and I check the tyre pressure every10 days.

Cleaned the air filter during last service 1.5k kms ago(last month) and bike feeling more free revving and smooth but couldn't feel much difference in pick-up. Would you suggest any performance clutch and air filter?

Will change the sprocket in the next service and also try out Philips extreme vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Considering the age of the vehicle, I guess it should be the clutch acting up. Is the clutch slipping? Other than that, clean the Air Filter, CLean the Carburattor, Clean/Replace Spark Plugs.
I have done all the above.
Forgive my ignorance but what is clutch slipping?

Life of the sprockets depends on some factors. On sudden acceleration, does the chain slip?
Chain behaves normally and there doesn't seem to any slip. I get it tightened and oiled regularly.

Again, life of the clutch depends on some riding factors. Does your clutch slip? Whats the RPM, when the vehicle is cruising in 5th @ 60kmph. On sudden throttle inputs, does the vehicle respond accordingly, or just rpm increases, and slowly speed increases?
My bike does the following in 5th gear:
60kmph@4500 RPM

70kmph@5200RPM

80kmph@6000+RPM

90kmph@7000-RPM

100kmph@7500+RPM
Should I change the clutch? Any performance clutch option available or should I stick to regular P150 clutch? Would K&N air filter help?

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 15:48. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 27th March 2012, 13:36   #11
BHPian

Opening up the engine to change the clutch doesn't matter much.
I have seen that pulsars degrade drastically ,means their pickup and top end reduces after some usage.I dont know why.May be beacuse of poor internals.
If you want to keep the bike for many years dont go for airfilters or aftermarket clutch.Keep it in stock else engine will not last long.
My bike is around 50k, replaced clutch and sprockets around 35k.
Pulsars have a weird problem of chain getting loose more often.
Try sourcing better oil .Motul is best and have long drain interval ,but is extemely difficult to source (at least here , this time i couln't get one).

Check the light is getting correct wattage , change the electrical only if needed. When stock halonix fused, I changed to a bulb of different brand bought from a bajaj dealar , the light is better than the stock.(sorry forget the brand I haven't heard of it before).
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 18:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok after reading the last few posts, I have a very basic question for you, what do you really want?

A) Do you want a bike with good mileage which can do a few short period high speed sprints
B) You want a performance bike with good brake, headlight, handling & good/decent mileage

If its A, get your current bike checked as per suggestions here. I would not recommend free flow air filter, if you can get a replacement filter then that's fine.

if its B, then go with what Ajaybiz mentioned, dont spend any money on this bike & sell it. We can then discuss what other bikes you should be looking at.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My bike has a new problem. The gear shift feels notchy and hard, especially the upshift. It feels almost like i am shifting without using the clutch. The same goes with the downshift too. This feel is very pronounced in 1-2-3 gears.

I change the engine oil in every 2-2.2k Kms and I did it about 200kms ago. It improved the gearshift feel for a day but it has again turned hard. The chain was also tightened recently(about 300 kms ago).

The bike has run about 41K kms and still runs on stock sprockets and clutch. Are they at fault? Is it time to replace them?
Old 1st June 2012, 10:52   #14

Get the clutch adjusted, the mechanic can gauge clutch wear at the time of clutch adjustment.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My bike has a new problem. The gear shift feels notchy and hard, especially the upshift. It feels almost like i am shifting without using the clutch. The same goes with the downshift too. This feel is very pronounced in 1-2-3 gears.
The clutch cable maybe the culprit here. Check the play in the clutch lever and adjust it accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks