Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 16:03   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Even I paid by credit card...
I think this was not in Bangalore?
I asked Navin Associates in Bangalore many times, but they refused to accept credit card without the additional 1.75% charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Welcome to the club!.
An update: my wife realised that it is rainy season and so she won't be able to ride the vehicle anyway. I am not interested in riding this scooter, since I have to travel 40 KMs daily, out of which 8 KMs has no road at all (within Bangalore). So we have postponed the purchase to October/November. Hopefully, we will get some year end discounts.
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:20   #137
BHPian

Just took delivery of my Vespa VX Matt Black Xclusivo edition. Loved the first ride home. She is tall, superbly balanced & classy looking.

Pricing as follows:
  • Vespa VX 125 Ltd Edition (ex-Showroom Mumbai) : Rs 76327
  • Extended Warranty, Road Side Assistance : Rs 1050
  • Registration & other charges : Rs 9099
  • Insurance from HDFC Ergo : Rs 2470
  • Essential Kit : Rs 3550
  • Vespa Helmet : 3500

Total : Rs 95996

Definitely 15K overpriced, but then those who want a Vespa pay for one

Initial pick-up is not that great but engine should open up after a few 100 kms. I will post some pics & start an ownership thread.

Last edited by gsurya : 3rd August 2014 at 14:39.
Old 14th September 2014, 04:33   #138
BHPian

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spell check. Please limit smileys to 2/post.

Greetings all,

I have always loved the brand Vespa and my pulse went racing as i heard that the Vespa brand was launching a new automatic scooter in 2012. I traveled all the way to Pune, just because it was launched there first, but, didn't get a test drive as they were still setting up shop. Managed to get a first look at the Vespa 125cc and some picture of course.

Then came the reviews and they said the drum brakes were not very good. My brother and me wanted to get one but we waited. Then came the Vespa with the disk brakes and the prices still went higher, we waited for the reviews, which were good enough. By then everyone was wondering if it was worth paying the premium to own this scoot. Later we heard that a newer model would be released and we again decided to wait.

One of my close friends bought one for his wife, I test drove it. Honestly, I was expecting a great experience, but didn't. Of course the looks and the design were stunning and i still wanted to own one at some point of time. One day my friend tells me that the handle bar came loose and was generally not happy with the service provided by the service centre. He complained that the scooter would also stop randomly while riding it. The service guys were not able to rectify this issue and the scooter had to be taken there 4 times. Finally my friend lost his patience with them and threatened them, thats when they sorted it out.

The Vespa S was recently launched and my brother and me fell in love with the looks of this scoot and finally we felt it was time to go for one.
As we started shortlisting the dealers we found that there were only 2 in the whole of Mumbai, Bandra and Mulund (the one at Jogeshwari, Spice motors being shut down). So we booked an appointment with the Bandra dealer and went down for a test ride and to understand the booking formalities. When we reached the dealer for a test ride, we were appalled at shoddy showroom. It was literally dirty, no air conditioning and managed by just one sales woman. From the two test drive scooters, one did not have a kick (she told us it has come off and was lying next to the scooter) and the other scooter did not have a battery.

Also at the front of the store (on the foot path) there was a mechanic servicing some Vespas (he had no uniform on). We were just amazed at the way things were and yet the sales woman kept talking about the big brand Vespa was (don't we all know it). So, there wasn't any test drive scooter available (and we drove 25 kms to get there). Finally the woman and the mechanic decide that they would give us one of the scooters that came in for servicing as a test drive vehicle (still appalling) and it wasn't the Vespa "S". Anyways we took the test drive.

I am very shocked at the whole experience (Vespa being the brand and charging a premium and all that jazz) And being die hard fans of the brand we were disappointed big time. As of now, owning the Vespa brand and the Italiano legacy has left me in a tizzy. VESPA!!! How can you do this to yourself. Is anyone at Vespa listening ? Our dream of owning a Vespa still remains a dream

Last edited by aah78 : 14th September 2014 at 05:48. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
savyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 14:45   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by savyo View Post
Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spell check. Please limit smileys to 2/post.
A new showroom has opened opposite Laxmi Industrial Estate in Andheri west. You might want to check that out.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:05   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by savyo View Post

Greetings all,

I have always loved the brand Vespa and my pulse went racing as i heard that the Vespa brand was launching a new automatic scooter in 2012. I traveled all the way to Pune, just because it was launched there first, but, didn't get a test drive as they were still setting up shop. Managed to get a first look at the Vespa 125cc and some picture of course.

Then came the reviews and they said the drum brakes were not very good. My brother and me wanted to get one but we waited. Then came the Vespa with the disk brakes and the prices still went higher, we waited for the reviews, which were good enough. By then everyone was wondering if it was worth paying the premium to own this scoot. Later we heard that a newer model would be released and we again decided to wait.

One of my close friends bought one for his wife, I test drove it. Honestly, I was expecting a great experience, but didn't. Of course the looks and the design were stunning and i still wanted to own one at some point of time. One day my friend tells me that the handle bar came loose and was generally not happy with the service provided by the service centre. He complained that the scooter would also stop randomly while riding it. The service guys were not able to rectify this issue and the scooter had to be taken there 4 times. Finally my friend lost his patience with them and threatened them, thats when they sorted it out.

The Vespa S was recently launched and my brother and me fell in love with the looks of this scoot and finally we felt it was time to go for one.
As we started shortlisting the dealers we found that there were only 2 in the whole of Mumbai, Bandra and Mulund (the one at Jogeshwari, Spice motors being shut down). So we booked an appointment with the Bandra dealer and went down for a test ride and to understand the booking formalities. When we reached the dealer for a test ride, we were appalled at shoddy showroom. It was literally dirty, no air conditioning and managed by just one sales woman. From the two test drive scooters, one did not have a kick (she told us it has come off and was lying next to the scooter) and the other scooter did not have a battery.

Also at the front of the store (on the foot path) there was a mechanic servicing some Vespas (he had no uniform on). We were just amazed at the way things were and yet the sales woman kept talking about the big brand Vespa was (don't we all know it). So, there wasn't any test drive scooter available (and we drove 25 kms to get there). Finally the woman and the mechanic decide that they would give us one of the scooters that came in for servicing as a test drive vehicle (still appalling) and it wasn't the Vespa "S". Anyways we took the test drive.

I am very shocked at the whole experience (Vespa being the brand and charging a premium and all that jazz) And being die hard fans of the brand we were disappointed big time. As of now, owning the Vespa brand and the Italiano legacy has left me in a tizzy. VESPA!!! How can you do this to yourself. Is anyone at Vespa listening ? Our dream of owning a Vespa still remains a dream
And Piaggio India has the audacity to call the Vespa "premium". I have interacted with vendors who have supply contracts with Piaggio India, specifically for the Vespa. "Apparently", the pressure from Piaggio India on suppliers, to deliver parts dirt cheap is very high. While this is the same case with every OEM, the "extent of cost cutting" is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

In fact, back in summer 2012 one suspension parts supplier told me that Honda offers better prices than Piaggio, and Honda isn't even a premium player. So, the Vespa line of scooters, imho, are mere dolls with low(er) quality stuff under the skin. Quality, heritage, brand appeal, be damned.

Coming to think of it, Piaggio India started off with hefty volumes projections at their Baramati set up. However, volumes have not taken off and hence the big pressure to squeeze vendors. At the time of establishing the new scooter factory, Piaggio India aimed mainly for the Indian market, anticipating big volumes. So, exports haven't gained traction too. This whole "premium and Vespa" is a hoax in India.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 15th September 2014, 21:14   #141
BHPian

Have completed nearly 500 kms on my Vespa. Engine is slowly opening up. Best speed to run it is between 45 kms to 65 kms, the engine just purrs beautifully. So far the average on the first tankful was around 40 kmpl, should improve a bit I think.

Scooter is steady & very well balanced and TALL. When at a signal you clearly tower above the others. Headlights are great for the night, beat some cars I was around.

Best feature is how the helmet can be neatly stowed under the seat. The seat is a bit hard, I did an Andheri - Panvel - Andheri round trip of 130 kms & it was hard on my rear. Wish I could get a better cushioned seat that is easy to ride on for 100+ kms at a stretch.

Suspension is lovely, eats up the potholes easily.And definitely a head turner, gets 2nd looks, people asking about it & talking about it. But yes everyone who asks is shocked at the pricing.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:48   #142
BHPian

Wow Jay, thats revealing. I guess the brand Vespa in india doesn't mean anything. I wonder why things get watered down in our country. So, its officially bye bye Vespa for me.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:10   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Vespa Elegante

Last weekend I had given our Vespa for service. In the evening, while I was waiting in the lounge to take delivery, I read a booklet that Vespa will be launching two new vehicles. Vespa Elegante based on the VX and Vespa 946 (rumoured to be priced at around 8 Lakhs INR )

Piaggio has unveiled the first one of those - Limited edition Vespa Elegante
Reports say that the Elegante was unveiled Yesterday at Pune and sales will start from 20th of this month.

It may be recalled that very recently it had launched a limited edition called Vespa Esclusivo.

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-india-car-bikes-dot-com-new_vespa_elegante_side.jpg
Special Edition Vespa Elegante
Picture courtesy: www.indiancarsbikes.in

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-600x400xpiaggiovespaelegantereview_jpg_pagespeed_ic_1byirkxtyx.jpg
Special edition colours
Picture courtesy: www.motorbeam.com

The colours shown above are only exclusive to the Elegante. The company calls them Marrakech Brown and Pearl White. Both are metallic and I loved the brown colour.

As with the Esclusivo, mechanically the Elegante is same as the VX except for some cosmetic changes.

Elegante has the front horn grille similar to the Vespa S (it is circular in Vx and Esclusivo)

The distinguishing change in the Elegante is the new Split seats. It is however mounted on a single lid that closes the storage area and fuel tank opening.

The Pearl white gets a red seat cover while the Marrakech brown gets a beige seat cover

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-limited_edition_vespa_split_seat.jpg
Split seats-mounted on a single platform

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-vespaelegantepicimagephotozigwheels16092014m3_560x420.jpg
Beige seat covers on the Marrakech Brown
Picture courtesy: www.zigwheels.com

I somewhat liked the split seats but IT would have been much better if it was actually two separate pieces with fuel filling in between the two pieces like the old Bajaj scooters. It would have given this retro looking scooter a real retro feel

Like the Esclusivo, The Elegante also gets a special edition badge on the boot lid.
However this doesn't seem to get the unique numbering that the Esclusivo badges got.

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-vespa_elegante_badge.jpg
Special Edition Badge

Couple of other pictures from the unveiling event
Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-vespaelegantepicimagephotozigwheels16092014m1_560x420.jpg
Marrakech brown Vespa Elegante
Picture courtesy: www.zigwheels.com

Rebirth : Vespa Scooters Launched in India @ Rs. 66,000-vespaeleganteshowcaseside.jpg
Pearl White Vespa Elegante
Picture courtesy: www.indianautosblog.com

There are no body graphics on the Elegante unlike the Esclusivo which had got a chequered pattern body graphics

The prices are not yet announced and may be it will be similar to the Esclusivo
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 10:34   #144
BHPian

The Elegante looks superb, I would have loved the brown color if it was matt instead of glossy.

Wish I could get these split seats on my Esclusivo Matt Black, would likely be a more comfortable ride! Will ask my dealer.
Old 17th September 2014, 21:47   #145
Senior - BHPian

In a moment of weakness, I clicked the "Test ride" button on the Vespa website and immediately regretted it.

Now every few days a sweet female voice dripping with honey calls me and repeats the same cliched query "Thank you for showing interest in the beautiful and iconic vespa! Have you taken the test ride yet, sir?"
Old 15th November 2017, 11:45   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Vespas (also Dios and a couple of other vehicles) are getting fined for defective number plate By Bangalore Traffic Police. Why? because the number plate was stickered on the vehicle and no plate is attached. As you all know, there is no provision for fixing a number plate in this scooter. In the last month or so, 27000 such cases have been slapped by BTP on such scooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Today's Indian Express, Bangalore carried this picture and caption - 27k cases filed already for the front (sticker) number plate - Link

Some scooters do not come with the provision for front number plates, so holes will have to be drilled, I don't think there is any other way out!
I wrote to BTP. but as expected got a reply that irrespective of the provision to fix a plate or not, we have to have one.
I wrote to Vespa also on their mail ID and on their facebook page. Apart from the "we'll get back to you" message, I've received nothing else.

So was looking at ideas from number plate fixing.

Saw one on TBHP in the post here from user sulivan from Kerala
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2901855

Saw another one in another website in the link below
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/xB...-comeback.html

But I find both of them ugly and robs the scooter of it's look.
Fixing on the Mud guard parallel to the vehicle axis is also illegal.

So want to check with others for other ideas of
1. how to fix the plates and
2. In which position to fix them
Old 25th November 2017, 13:25   #147
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
So want to check with others for other ideas of
1. how to fix the plates and
2. In which position to fix them
I got the front number plate fixed on my Honda Aviator, it looks ugly no doubt but I hate to be a violator of motor vehicle rules - details here. (Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White))
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed