Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 19:18   #16
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha Rx 135 - 5speed, Overhaulin style !

Nicely done. May i ask where have you got the work done? I am also from Mumbai, We smokers should meet up.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Nicely done. May i ask where have you got the work done? I am also from Mumbai, We smokers should meet up.
Got the work done from many places, the assembling was carried out at chembur though.

We can surely meet up on weekends sir, there is a Rx135 owners meet coming up soon in mumbai too.
Old 29th November 2012, 16:11   #18

After going through some threads about RX series bikes, I got interested in getting one for myself. My use is basically to run errands, and not for daily use; and to give fun rides to my young kids.

I got two options before me. One, an RX 100 - 1989 make and in great working condition for such an old bike. Quite well used and the meter shows 70,000+ km - asking for about Rs 11,000.
Second, an RX 135 somewhere around 1999 make - lying idle for the last six months and needs some investment, clcoked 27,000+ km. - asking for Rs 15,000.

I need to choose between the two. In eitehr case, I may need to spend some money to make them usable for me - clean, reasonably good looking and reliable bike. I have read most threads on Team BHP which discuss these two bikes, which left me confused. Given this forum, my knowledge about bikes is close to that of a novice. So any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivas2012 View Post
After going through some threads about RX series bikes, I got interested in getting one for myself. My use is basically to run errands, and not for daily use; and to give fun rides to my young kids.

I got two options before me. One, an RX 100 - 1989 make and in great working condition for such an old bike. Quite well used and the meter shows 70,000+ km - asking for about Rs 11,000.
Second, an RX 135 somewhere around 1999 make - lying idle for the last six months and needs some investment, clcoked 27,000+ km. - asking for Rs 15,000.

I need to choose between the two. In eitehr case, I may need to spend some money to make them usable for me - clean, reasonably good looking and reliable bike. I have read most threads on Team BHP which discuss these two bikes, which left me confused. Given this forum, my knowledge about bikes is close to that of a novice. So any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Here you go...

Both bikes are good in it's own class. RX100 is relatively easy to find the replacement parts where as RX135 might make you wait to get the spares.
In terms of smoothness, RX100 will be more refined whereas RX135 is slightly raw powered but nothing negative.

What's your expectation from RX bike? This would narrow down your search and choose from 100/135.
SriramEfunds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Here you go...

Both bikes are good in it's own class. RX100 is relatively easy to find the replacement parts where as RX135 might make you wait to get the spares.
In terms of smoothness, RX100 will be more refined whereas RX135 is slightly raw powered but nothing negative.

What's your expectation from RX bike? This would narrow down your search and choose from 100/135.
As rightly pointed out by Sriram sir, both are good in their own ways.

The RX 100 though enjoys more better reputation as a legend. Whereas performance minded people will always opt for 135.

Both bikes spareparts are sourceable and not as tough as other 2 strokers.

As per the Indian RTO norms you will have to do the passing and pay the green tax on the 1989 - 100, as its age is more than 15 yrs. So currently both bikes you mentioned would be more or less the same price range for you to buy. The 135's passing and green tax issue would come up after 2 yrs though.

As far as the restoration process goes, once you buy any of the two, I would suggest you to take a good look at the engine health first, chassis and suspensions also on utmost priority, and tyres and breaks also high on the list.
The cosmetics can be done later as per your taste.

P.s - I would choose the Rx 135 that has run only 27k kms out of the 2 bikes that you mentioned, but hey that's me....

(BTW I have not seen anyone better than Sriram sir when it comes to Rx 100. He truly loves his bike and 2 strokes to the core. The love shows in the classy way he rebuilt his bike better than showroom condition You should check out his bike's thread)
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:20   #21

Thank you so much. The expectations are simple. I am going to basically keep it for myself - enjoy the idea of being an owner of a cult bike like RX. As I said, I will use it for small trips around household activities and take my young ones on a ride. Other than this, I expect the bike to last long enough and do not want it to have any major breakdowns.

I am confused because both the options have their pros and cons. My thoughts are the following:

RX 100
- 1989 bike and may be too old to last long.
- but it is in fine conditon and I could ride it. well maintaned and single owner.
- I am worried beucase it is too old, it may have major breakdowns
- it is cheaper compared to the otehr one, because I may have to spend Rs 15000 altogether to get it in my hands in a reasonably good condition.

RX 135
- it is relatively new one, bought in 2001, clocked 40,000 km or so.
- it is expensive because I will be spending at least about Rs 20,000 by the time I get it working
- This is also single owner and appears well maintained.

Budget between the two is less of an issue for me, but I want to pick up the right bike. If 135 is going to offer everything that a 100 offers, obviously 135 is a better option. But some say RX 100 bikes are stronger than the 135? But, I do not get specific details about how it is stronger. It would be great to hear your respective views about what would be your respective preferences between the two and why?

Thank you in advance!
Old 29th November 2012, 23:34   #22

I missed Sriram Sir's restoration thread; but I did see yours for sure. I must say, that was the best looking 135 I have ever seen. You are indeed quite passionate about your bike my friend, The Great. I thought I should write a PM to you if I don't get any responses. Much thanks to Sriram for responding to this and starting the conversation.
Is there anyway I can have a longer conversation at your convenience with you and Sriram - to take a call between the two? I don't want to bother you in anyway and I fully understand if you do not respond to such requests. Thanks a ton,

Srinivas
Old 30th November 2012, 00:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I missed Sriram Sir's restoration thread; but I did see yours for sure. I must say, that was the best looking 135 I have ever seen. You are indeed quite passionate about your bike my friend, The Great. I thought I should write a PM to you if I don't get any responses. Much thanks to Sriram for responding to this and starting the conversation.
Is there anyway I can have a longer conversation at your convenience with you and Sriram - to take a call between the two? I don't want to bother you in anyway and I fully understand if you do not respond to such requests. Thanks a ton,

Srinivas
You can contact me, ill share as much as I know surely. Tried to pm you my number but seems you have pms disabled.

Last edited by The Great : 30th November 2012 at 00:56.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Srinivas
Srinivas, we are here to help each other and all this for the love of 2 strokes. If you are not particular about high speeds exceed 90-100 doable bike, then RX100 is right for you. Reason? Legend, since it is an old bike and single owner, the build quality of existing parts in the bike ought to be alot better compared to this day. E.g, heavy frame, engine smoothness and best of all, the exhaust note which is mesmerizing.

If you are buying RX100, see to that you completely restore to the factory spec.

Restoration process that I follow:-

1. Know your bike - RX100 /135
2. Read many restoration threads as possible across forum
3. Collect parts manual/workshop manual
4. Determine the the present condition of the bike (100/135)
5. List the parts that needs replacement
6. Budgeting
7. Resources:- Check with YASS and dealers and procure spares.
8. Finalize the date with mechanic for rebuild
9. Work in Progress:- Dismantle the bike for painting job
10. Execution:- Take off from work to sit with him and watch the process.

What I did for my rebuild was, accumulated spares over 6 months (includes waiting time for spares and availability of cash ). Dismatled my bike at home and gave the frame for paint job. Rest everything is new.

My two cents:- Any restoration, always procure spares upfront and then dismantle the bike. By doing this, you'll not be running for spares during the build from pillar to post. Also, this saves alot of ' T I M E' which is even more precious. Last but not the least, you can watch mech's every move and gives less for his tricks.

Call me anytime to discuss, nine eight four zero seven zero 3-sixes zero. In your free time go through this My Dream and photo album
Old 30th November 2012, 10:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
You can contact me, ill share as much as I know surely. Tried to pm you my number but seems you have pms disabled.
I guess it is the restrictions on my "newbie" status that does not allow PMs. It appears I cannot even send PMs to you. I still need to get hang of this interface of the forum. But I looked up the profile options and enabled receiving email messages. Could you please send your number through email, if you can find way of sending one? Thank you.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:19   #26
BHPian

Half Yearly Update,

- The bike has completed run in (Rode it for 1600kms within 50kmph speeds)
- The bike tends to run smooth now and the ride is lovely below 60kmph speeds.
- Once it enters the powerband if revved hard it runs like a dream, but there was a peculiar problem to the bike. Beyond 70kmph the bike ran great but the engine was eager to shut down. I tried to find the problem but it was hard to pinpoint a particular area.
- The carb was opened and cleaned, the filters were cleaned, the reedvalve was opened to check, but all of that was fine, untill we saw the petrol flow from the petrol tap. The paint around the tap had hardened and narrowed the hole thereby reducing the flow at higher speeds, at low rpms the petrol was constantly being supplied as the bike was never taken beyond 60kmph, but at higher speeds the carb didn't get the proper flow. So drilled the hole to proper needed gap and bingo. Sometimes simple errors are overlooked and then heads are really scratched hard to find the genius solutions whereas the problem was at the basic core.

Now comes the exciting part. The 100/90 Unit was already fitted in the bike during the rebuild stage. (Timing being kept as retard)

The bike will be fitted with the much awaited updates, the work is in progress and the following upgrades will be fitted today,
RDD CDi Unit, RDD Filter, Carb Jet,
Activa plug cap,
New Kinetic Battery (Exide Bikez),
RXZ Non Catcon Silencer.
New Paint - Metallic Black (had to change the colour to black because I have been caught by the RTO 4 times in the last 6 months, as the colour was custom and they really have an eye on all Rx bikes around our city for any modifications visible, like chambers, paint etc. Once you are stopped by them you are bound to have the law broken in their books PUC, Passing, Green tax,Insurance etc etc etc ....... some or the other way you will fall into the criminal category)

Awaiting the first ride after giving my bike the RDD update tomorrow.

Will upload the pics of the bike soon.

Cheers to all !
Old 16th July 2014, 16:17   #27
BHPian

Update 2

~ Brought the bike back to complete stock setting.

~ Removed the RDD cdi unit and the 100/90 kit,

~ Original catcon silencer and original carb jet,

~ Never bothered about the mileage and yet haven't measured it till date,

~ Michelin M45's both front and rear,

~ RXZ meter console featuring the Tachometer,

~ Enjoying the fun of a stock setup which I think would be there for long as I am not keen on any performance mods. The bike is running beautifully as of now and I love it very much the way it is. Great overall performance.

The only problem now is the oil pump. Somehow this is the second oil pump that has failed on my bike, maybe I have to install a new one but with a more experienced mechanic this time. So using the premix method as of now.

Cheers and happy riding to all !
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha Rx 135 - 5speed, Overhaulin style !-img_00811.jpg  

The Great is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 11:31   #28
BHPian

My Yamaha Rx 135 5 Speed. Restored and in great working condition.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha Rx 135 - 5speed, Overhaulin style !-img_20201221_155329.jpg  

My Yamaha Rx 135 - 5speed, Overhaulin style !-img_20201221_155353.jpg  

nishkamm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks