Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 16:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha FZ Series Get A 'Very' Minor Facelift

The new variants come with vibrant colours schemes, graphics and features like longer and wider pillion seat, Yamaha said in a statement.

Point to drive home? Longer and wider pillion seat and new Grab Rails.
The New FZ16:

Yamaha FZ Series Get A 'Very' Minor Facelift-colblackfz16.jpg

The New FZ-S:

Yamaha FZ Series Get A 'Very' Minor Facelift-white_big.jpg

The New Fazer:

Yamaha FZ Series Get A 'Very' Minor Facelift-greenbig.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 16:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ Series Get A 'Very' Minor Facelift

Wider rear seat, a welcome change. (that means it can now accommodate a fatter person but with same under powered engine, making bike more sluggish)

Wondering why such good looking hefty machines and so tiny engines.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 17:06   #3
BHPian

This machine is a total dissappointment for me surely having owned an Yamaha Rx100. I had one of the first few machines which Yamaha released in the 80s. A delight to ride for sure.

FZ in contrast turned out to be total disaster for me. Have they done anything to the handle bar ? I found it too short to be riding it comfortably. After a while, one gets pain on the inside of the palms which is result of the palm resting too much on the handle and body weight falling on the palms.

It looks good for sure, otherwise nothing much to speak about this. It struggles to achieve 100 !!

I am selling my FZ, any takers around ?
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Handlebars have been changed. But the rear Mudguard(?) has been elongated further as well from the looks of it. Should've added rear disks and rear LEDs as well. Might not be the most functional upgrades but certainly ups the novelty factor.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Should've added rear disks and rear LEDs as well. Might not be the most functional upgrades but certainly ups the novelty factor.
A big +1 for the Rear Disc Brakes - The drum brake at the rear stands out as a sore point for the FZ.

Actually FZs are not under powered at all - They have excellent grunt till 85 kmph and they lose steam - Excellent City machine. But, terrible tourers. Fazer, positioned as a tourer was a joke.

Wider seats are a genuinely useful upgrade. The pillion seat is useless even for a moderately built person.

The build quality is very good, and hence priced over the competition. They can certainly use a 180cc engine + Liquid cooled Engine / FI to up their power and hopefully not push the price to 200NS territory!
Old 1st May 2012, 21:18   #6
BHPian

@nandans2005: Any bike with sporty stance (Slanting seats/Lower handle bars) will induce pain in palms. I curse my P150 for the same. It leaves my palms numb just after 10-15 mins. The problem aggravates if there is a pillion. I have experienced the same with RTR180.

The FZ is a brilliant machine in my books which have helped YAMAHA to make its presence strong in the Indian motorcycle market. I feel the only reason Yamaha hesitates to bring bigger engines is to avoid the fuel guzzler image garnered by the Rx100 in comparison to HH bikes in 90's.

I feel the change in seat is welcome, but the rear mud guards spoils the racy looks a bit.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

The changes have been more function inclined that fashion inclined for once. The rear mud guards may be a slight eye sore but prevents the person behind from having a slush bath! Welcome changes in my opinion.

After the stupendous success of the R15, I am sure Yamaha is working on getting a bigger engine here to take on the might Ninja. And the pricing and technology involved will almost certainly beat the Ninja. Lets wait and watch, Yamaha has heard it's customer's before and am sure they're still listening very intently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Actually FZs are not under powered at all - They have excellent grunt till 85 kmph and they lose steam - Excellent City machine. But, terrible tourers. Fazer, positioned as a tourer was a joke.

The build quality is very good, and hence priced over the competition. They can certainly use a 180cc engine + Liquid cooled Engine / FI to up their power and hopefully not push the price to 200NS territory!
Exactly, the FZ can leave most 150cc bikes behind in the city, but hit an open road and the climax is quite different.

Yamaha seems to believe in an all or nothing principle. Where they have all the latest tech on a few bikes and keep the others with normal features. Haven't really seen them jump onto the FI version, 4 Valve version bandwagon. Their approach seems to be a more wholesome one. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st May 2012 at 21:39.
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:10   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Exactly, the FZ can leave most 150cc bikes behind in the city
Sorry, but which 150 cc bike does it leave behind?.. The unicorn?

On the flipside, this is one bike with such flickability and handling that would put most of its competitors to shame.

Sadly.. IMO, this update does nothing to complement that aspect.

This bike is still not adequately powered and still lacks the FE of the competitors, which are two most important aspects, apart from looks and spares from a selling point of view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks