Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

3M Launches Paint Protection Films for Two Wheelers under the 3M Bike Care Umbrella.

3M has officially launched its Paint Protection Film (PPF) for Two Wheelers under the 3M Bike Care Umbrella.

From the official press release :

In today’s economy, people are keeping their vehicles longer and looking for smart, affordable ways to maintain them. Rust, corrosion & Scratch are glaring examples of what can go wrong when a bike’s painted surfaces are chipped or scratched. Sometimes the fight against rust feels like an uphill battle; but if one can help avoid the cause, he may be one step ahead of the game.

The Solution:
When asked to come up with solutions for protecting the Leading edges of Airplane wings , Helicopter’s Nose and Rotor blades from damages in the deserts , 3M answered with the invention of 3M Paint Protection Film (PPF) in 1960s.

The Technology:
This advance technology PPF has 3 Layers which include the Top Coat, the Middle thermoplastic urethane and the bottom clear acrylic adhesive film. The first two layers help in protecting the paint from Nicks, Scrapes & Minor Bump rub offs while the Adhesive layer help the film to adhere to paint substrate strongly.
For several decades bike users had always opted for tank bag as a preventive cover to protect the tank, but they have realized that these Resin Tank Bags apart from abrading the paint surface spoils the appearance of an aesthetically designed bike. Thanks to the PPF which apart from protecting the tank also remains almost invisible.

The Product:
PPF is a durable, high-grade, colorless urethane film, applied to high impact areas of a vehicle that take the brunt of damaging road debris. It protects paints from Nicks, Scrapes and Minor bump related paint rub offs. This is predominantly used as this becomes almost invisible when applied on Painted Substrates and helps keeping the paint looking great apart from significantly reducing the paint chip off / bug damage while also boosting the Trade in Value of the vehicle.

Enclosed is the detailed press release.

For more information please contact:

Chethan S Damle,
Area Sales Executive (KA & AP),
3M India Ltd.
Bangalore.
Phone - +91 99801 64630
Email - csdamle@mmm.com
Attached Files
File Type: docx 3M Bike Care.docx (14.7 KB, 4868 views)

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd May 2012 at 14:02.
n_aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:24   #2
BHPian

Re: 3M Launches Paint Protection Films for Two Wheelers under the 3M Bike Care Umbrel

Interesting find. I believe that 3M has a similar product for 4 wheelers as well. Any one has an idea of then costs involved?
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3M Launches Paint Protection Films for Two Wheelers under the 3M Bike Care Umbrel

Wow, this is something interesting. Any idea if the protection film is readily available and where?
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Wow, this is something interesting. Any idea if the protection film is readily available and where?
Auto Service at Banashankari (KTM, Kawasaki & Bajaj Service Center) has already installed PPFs for many ninja's. Contact Mr. Venkat Shyam for more details such as pricing, etc.

There might be many more dealers/installers. Please contact Chetan - details on 1st post.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is good; for so long, there was just Waxoyl that provided rust protection etc. for 2 wheelers.

3M is already a reputed service provider for cars; they should have a ready clientele.

They haven't mentioned the charges though; any idea on that?
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
They haven't mentioned the charges though; any idea on that?
From what i know these films come in predefined rolls and are cut to size according to the area of application like fuel tanks, etc. so pricing will vary.

I myself was waiting for this since i wanted to protect the rear tail panels of the ninja from scratches (i use a tail bag which has bungee cords) so in the interim i got some carbon fiber vinyl on the tail pieces. The CF stickering looks cheap since it was not of great quality and has resulted in tiny bubbles all through the film.... but does the job of protecting the tails from damage.

Will remove the CF film and get the PPF on the tails as soon as they are available.

I shall post pics and prices once it is done.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:02   #7
BHPian

Sorry to dig up an old thread but is there any place in Bangalore that I can get this done for my bike? I do not have the confidence to apply it myself so I need some place where I can get it applied. I primarily need it for my tank so that knee guards do not scratch it.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Auto Service at Banashankari (KTM, Kawasaki & Bajaj Service Center) has already installed PPFs for many ninja's. Contact Mr. Venkat Shyam for more details such as pricing, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

For more information please contact:

Chethan S Damle,
Area Sales Executive (KA & AP),
3M India Ltd.
Bangalore.
Phone - +91 99801 64630
Email - csdamle@mmm.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread but is there any place in Bangalore that I can get this done for my bike?
Mate,
Refer the thread, it has all the contact details from where you can get this done.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:10   #9
BHPian

I thought that Auto Service only catered to Bajaj and Kawasaki bikes. Have already written to the email address mentioned and am waiting for a reply.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought that Auto Service only catered to Bajaj and Kawasaki bikes. Have already written to the email address mentioned and am waiting for a reply.
Do let me know the details once you get them - need to get the tank protected - riding pants are slowly removing the paint from "that" part of the tank
Old 16th January 2013, 19:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Do let me know the details once you get them - need to get the tank protected - riding pants are slowly removing the paint from "that" part of the tank
I am sure venkat Will oblige to apply on any bike and not just bajaj. Just contact him. He is a thorough gentleman!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:43   #12
BHPian

I just got the 3M 1+1 PPF Treatment done for my black Ninja 250 at Auto Service, Bangalore, and the bike looks positively stunning now. It gives a shinier, slightly wet look to the bike.

The cost was Rs.1449.

There was another 3M treatment as well for Rs.550, but the person there recommended this one and convinced me this was far better.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I got a reply this morning from Chetan at 3M asking where I live and for which bike I wanted to avail this service. I replied with the details and he gave me Mr. Venkat's number from Auto Service. Called him up and confirmed. Will be going over to Auto Service on Sunday.

PS - If anyone else wants to get it done, Mr Venkat advised that it would be better to wash the bike before getting it there.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 17:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a reply this morning from Chetan at 3M asking where I live and for which bike I wanted to avail this service. I replied with the details and he gave me Mr. Venkat's number from Auto Service. Called him up and confirmed. Will be going over to Auto Service on Sunday.

PS - If anyone else wants to get it done, Mr Venkat advised that it would be better to wash the bike before getting it there.
And where is this Auto Service place? Can you PM me Mr.Venkat's number if you don't mind?
Old 17th January 2013, 19:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And where is this Auto Service place? Can you PM me Mr.Venkat's number if you don't mind?
Naveen,
Venkat's auto service would be located in Banashankari Industrial Area opposite to a Hyundai Service Station.
Pretty small area and should not be a problem to identify. Have PM you his contact and he can guide you even better.

Most Viewed