Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 14:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle tyre shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
...If you want leech-type grip though, try finding the IRC NR48. Comes in the same stock 110-80/17 size and it goes without saying that it's one spectacular tire. Amazing grip levels on all surfaces. It will transform your RTR into a more planted and confidence-inspiring cornering tool...
This is something I would like to try at my next change! Are these available everywhere or should one look really hard to get these tyres. Also do keep us posted on what you are changing to at the front. Might need to change the front in a while.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Michelin Motorcycle Tyres India have stopped the M45 and Sirac. Now they are just aiming for the mass market with commuter/sporty commuter segment with the Sirac Street range of tyres.

Their focus is more on playing the number game than actually catering to all segments looks like.
That is sad. I am using M45 as front tire on my Fiero. It is a great tire for city use, good grip on tarmac in dry and wet conditions. I think I got it in 2010. I got it from Sai Iyenagar and was hoping to change rear to M45 or Sirac.

I am using Dunlop at the rear of Fiero, hard compound which will last forever. The grip is decent.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:26   #33
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle tyre shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is something I would like to try at my next change! Are these available everywhere or should one look really hard to get these tyres. Also do keep us posted on what you are changing to at the front. Might need to change the front in a while.
I would honestly recommend this to every one who is into peg-scraping business and wants to know the true potential and dynamic abilities of the bike. This is one heck of a tire. The first impressions about the tire weren't so good, thanks to some of the P220Fi owners who whined about IRC's grip on wet surfaces.

This is a totally different tire. While most people still tend to disagree with my opinion on the NR48, I have found the grip to be exceptionally well even on wet tarmac (read: not just decent but exceptionally well).

On it's availability in the market, I think you'd get it without a hassle. Should be available with any dealer trading IRC/Vee rubber. If you find difficulties locating it still, ring on any of following numbers: Triad International

The NR48 is officially present in the market. Have a look at it here: Triad International
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 00:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin Motorcycle Tyres India have stopped the M45 and Sirac. Now they are just aiming for the mass market with commuter/sporty commuter segment with the Sirac Street range of tyres.

Their focus is more on playing the number game than actually catering to all segments looks like.
Praful, so what are the options do I have for my ZMA if Michelin Sirac is out of question? Reason? If I want to do a monsoon ride, at some places where off-roading is must. Will Sirac street 100/90 do the job? I know it is totally different from Sirac.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Praful, so what are the options do I have for my ZMA if Michelin Sirac is out of question? Reason? If I want to do a monsoon ride, at some places where off-roading is must. Will Sirac street 100/90 do the job? I know it is totally different from Sirac.
The orignal Sirac being sold pre-2010 was a softer compound variant. Then they started selling 'Indianised' Sirac's which were harder compound and had only 50% grip compared to the original Sirac.

I can only shudder to think the kind of grip Sirac Street offers which is apparently a harder compound variant of the Sirac.

I am still looking out for a good replacement dual purpose tyre even for my bike. :(
Old 9th May 2012, 22:07   #36
BHPian

Why hasn't anyone mentioned about the MRF Zapper FY-1. This is the new tyre made specifically by MRF in collaboration with Yamaha for the R15 v2. Its dimensions are 100/80 - 17. Its made of the same super grippy compound as the tyre on the old R15 but is now wider with a superb tread design. I have this tyre in my R15 V2 and I have to say, its the best tyre I have ever come across for a bike, IN MY LIFE. Its got simply amazing braking abilities, cornering abilities and according to Yamaha, has the lowest rolling resistance among tyres in its class. Plus its tubeless and is also radial. I am not sure about the price but I can say it with full guarantee, it would be worth every single penny.

I would highly recommend it for the RTR guys since the brakes and handling abilities of that bike really do require a better tyre to realize its full potential.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:12   #37
BHPian

Did anyone forget the DUNLOP MONSTER, used to be a very good upsize tyre with kind of off- road tyre pattern. Had modified a shine for off-roading and used the tyre. Very satisfied with the wet and dry grip. Unfortunately Dunlop factory in Chennai got shut down.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:38   #38
BHPian

I am following this thread and mostly I see people are discussing the tyres which were better in the past and now the quality is not up to the mark or the production is stopped.

The analysis is brilliant but somehow I am left with the feeling that there is no straight rule for the best tyre available in the market today. For eg. If grip is brilliant, the compound is soft and its vulnerable to punctures. Come-on. A bike tyre which frequently gets punctured is the last thing I ever want.

Monsoon is fast approaching and my 30K old Karizma is crying for a tyre change, now when I read the topic of this thread I was super happy but now I am left super confused. I think sticking to original Zapper Y makes sense as I am not into racing or cornering at high speeds. Please correct me if I am wrong people.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:49   #39
BHPian

@taurus

Why don't you try the Zapper Q or Zapper C, i believe these tyres serve you better in the rain than the Zapper Y as the grooves in the former would quickly drain away water. Compound wise all the 3 are similar and they are good for daily use and decent cornering.
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 19:19   #40
BHPian

Hi guys, any advice for broader tires for RE TBTS? What is the widest rear tire size that can be fit without altering the swing arm? Will it fit a broader tire if I change the rim to 18 inches?
Old 10th May 2012, 20:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned about the MRF Zapper FY-1. This is the new tyre made specifically by MRF in collaboration with Yamaha for the R15 v2. Its dimensions are 100/80 - 17. Its made of the same super grippy compound as the tyre on the old R15 but is now wider with a superb tread design. I have this tyre in my R15 V2 and I have to say, its the best tyre I have ever come across for a bike, IN MY LIFE. Its got simply amazing braking abilities, cornering abilities and according to Yamaha, has the lowest rolling resistance among tyres in its class. Plus its tubeless and is also radial. I am not sure about the price but I can say it with full guarantee, it would be worth every single penny.

I would highly recommend it for the RTR guys since the brakes and handling abilities of that bike really do require a better tyre to realize its full potential.
Zapper FY1 is 90/80-17. Yes it will be as good(if not better) than the Zapper FY,its sibling. I have included FY in my review and am currently using the same on my bike.

I reiterate, Zapper FY/FY1 are the best front tyres available by an indian manufacturer! You can go for them with without any apprehensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I am following this thread and mostly I see people are discussing the tyres which were better in the past and now the quality is not up to the mark or the production is stopped.

The analysis is brilliant but somehow I am left with the feeling that there is no straight rule for the best tyre available in the market today. For eg. If grip is brilliant, the compound is soft and its vulnerable to punctures. Come-on. A bike tyre which frequently gets punctured is the last thing I ever want.

Monsoon is fast approaching and my 30K old Karizma is crying for a tyre change, now when I read the topic of this thread I was super happy but now I am left super confused. I think sticking to original Zapper Y makes sense as I am not into racing or cornering at high speeds. Please correct me if I am wrong people.
See there must be some tradeoff . If you need grip then you need to have a soft compound tyre. ANd moreover soft compound does not mean it will get flat often. I am using the Zapper FY at front which is soft but has not had any punctures till now!

I suggest you go for Michelin Sirac 120/80-18 which would satisfy all your needs! By member praful's experience these are no longer soft as they were before and have been indianised ,hence made harder. Priced at 3.5-4k this will suit your needs
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 23:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions on what are the options available for 140/70-17 inches in other cities. Here in bangalore PSD were the ones available but even those are short of stock as of now.
Looking for something which can handle good wet surface, slush, etc.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 09:34   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans
Any suggestions on what are the options available for 140/70-17 inches in other cities. Here in bangalore PSD were the ones available but even those are short of stock as of now.
Looking for something which can handle good wet surface, slush, etc.
You can visit millivision tyre shop which is listed in Bangalore directory. Or call them too.

Yesterday I happened to look at the display tyres and there were some big super bike tyres over there on display. You can give a shot over there
Old 12th May 2012, 16:51   #44
BHPian

Friends,

I am building a cruiser bike based on a royal enfield and I require 200 50/17 or 18 rear section tyres and matching steel or alloy wheels can anyone provide me some places contact numbers or address all over the country where I can find such wheels and tyres.
Near about sizes will also do like 180 section

Pranav
Old 13th May 2012, 12:47   #45
BHPian

This is my experience of tyres I've used on my TBTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Nice compilation sagarpadaki,

I would like to add another tyre which unfortunately is not in production anymore. It is the CEAT Secura Sport which was used on my Bullet 350 for almost 40k kms.

Same goes for in the wet as well. The wear was quite slow, compared to the MRF Nylogrip and Dunlop JAP 350 I had before which wore out quite fast and locked up at any sudden brake. I finally decided to change the CEAT when it just would not wear anymore but started noticing cracks and the ride was getting quite harsh.

The one I am running now is a MRF Meteor 110/90 19 on my 350 , which was running on my 500 for quite a while until it started rubbing the swing arms.

Now I am running a Pirelli 100/90 on my 500 rear . Not sure of the model, will update that soon. Still in the first 2000 kms and is okay so to speak.
I can vouch for the quality of ceat secura sport tyres. Had 3.25-19" at the front for my TBTS for my leh trip. It was brilliant, much better than stock MRF ones. They dont produce it now? Its a perfect choice for bulls , go for 3.5-19" for the rear if you can get your hands on one. Its not the most comfortable tyre out there, but its rugged, fairly grippy and a good dual purpose tyre. Infact the 3.25-19" are the most preferred front tyres for all the enfields i've seen on my trip. They wear out very slowly also.

I think you must be referring to the Pirelli MT60 100/90 tyres. I had them on TBTS for the leh trip. Its actually a front tyre but i used them on the rear. The tyre gave excellent manners to the bike both on and off the road. They're originally tubeless tyres. Costed me around 3k. But lasted a total of only 5500 kms ( a good 3000km was on the trip). I think its not worth to have it for tarmac use, unless you dont ride often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

MRFs are also good, though not as good as Ceat. Never tried Michellins or Pirellis on cheap 100-150 cc computer bikes. Probably try one on RETB when required to replace the Dunlops.
True, I've also found Ceat tyres to be much better than the MRFs. Escpecially the Secura Sport line-up. Have found them better than mrf meteors and dunlop unigrip

Quote:
I will add my experience with tires on my bike so far.

Michelin Sirac
The ultimate touring tyre for the Pulsar 220. Grip, Braking, Cornering, Life - this tyre scores exceptional ratings on *ALL* counts. I could be leaning into a corner accelerating hard and this would not loose line even if there was gravel. This still is the best tyre for someone with dual purpose riding needs.
Michelin Sirac is also an excellent tyre for the new C500, C350 etc. 120/80 - 18 for the rear is an excellent choice over the stock MRF. Impressive off -road manners as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
My Thunderbird twin spark is nearing a tyre change at 27k kms now
What options do I have for 19 inchers for both front and rear.
Thanks
Cheers!!
3.25-19 (for front)

1.Stock mrf with rib pattern
2.Ceat Secura Sport

3.5-19 (for rear)

1. Stock mrf
2. Ceat secura sport (availability i'm not so sure)
3. Dunlop Unigrip (not as good as ceat ones)
4. Dunlop Challenger

100/90 - 19 (for rear)

1. Pirelli MT60 (actually recommended as front tyres, wears out pretty quick, but excellent grip on and off the road)
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks