Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 13:01   #811
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Need help with Pulsar 180 UG3 tyres. My bike came with 2.75x17 41P and 100/90 tube tyres for the front and rear respectively. I upgraded them to 90/90 x17 and 120/80 17 a few years ago, these were tubeless
I own a pre worshipped 2009 Pulsar 180. Last year when I was changing the rear tyre, I went and got 110 section MRF Zapper tubeless tyre from the MRF outlet. When I reached my installer, I was told that the alloys were not compatible with tubeless tyres! He offered to do some "modifications" to the rim to accommodate the tubeless tyre, which I denied. I got myself a TVS make tube from the local spare parts shop, installed the tyre with a tube in it and has been using it thus ever since. My Pulsar does 3-4 km of local running daily, so I was alright with using a tube.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 13:36   #812
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, my car broke down so was busy getting it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since we both own same bike, i would suggest the below combo to you. It is the best combination available for our bikes in the market currently.
Thank you for the suggestion Sagar. I think it was based on your recommendation I switched to Michelin Pilot Sporty back in 2013. I'd love to retain those since its barely run 3k kms after install. I'll first try with Madhus if the leak can be fixed and then change to tube type may be.Any problem if I use it with a tube ? I checked in many shops on Pipeline road and they all stock Ceat at reasonable rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
You too can try this out.
Any idea what it was he used ? I'll try and check with the better tyre shops in Bangalore to try and source it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I got myself a TVS make tube from the local spare parts shop, installed the tyre with a tube in it and has been using it thus ever since. My Pulsar does 3-4 km of local running daily, so I was alright with using a tube.
Same case with me. My bike is used occasionally for 2-3 kms in a day,with abundant tyre puncture shops around, so wouldn't really mind using tube type tyres.
Old 20th July 2019, 16:23   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what it was he used ? I'll try and check with the better tyre shops in Bangalore to try and source it.
When I took the Tyre to the puncturewala, he told me to leave the tyre and come after 1 hour.

He did not disclose what solution (sealant) he used nor I asked him more about it.
I guess he might have used the solution which he uses for Tubetype punctures. Just my guess.

Sorry for not able to give exact info to you.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 17:52   #814
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Diablo Ross-II(rear only) on my Duke 200 for the past few years, here is a quick review : Go for it if you want soft compound tyre.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:56   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion Sagar. I think it was based on your recommendation I switched to Michelin Pilot Sporty back in 2013. I'd love to retain those since its barely run 3k kms after install. I'll first try with Madhus if the leak can be fixed and then change to tube type may be.Any problem if I use it with a tube ? I checked in many shops on Pipeline road and they all stock Ceat at reasonable rates.

The tyre is 6 years old now. From a safety point of view it is better if you change the tyre .

AFAIK, for small runs, no problem with using it with a tube. Yea, ceat tubes are good and the pricing on pipeline road shops are decent. If yours is a 110/80-17 pilot sporty then go for a 100 section tube.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:43   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If yours is a 110/80-17 pilot sporty then go for a 100 section tube.
The rear tyre is a 120/80-17. Will 100 section tube do or do I need to go for 110 section ?
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:48   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rear tyre is a 120/80-17. Will 100 section tube do or do I need to go for 110 section ?
There are no tube type tyres in 120/80-17 AFAIK. Get a 110 section tube if you get it, else a 100 section .
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 17:11   #818
BHPian

Picked up the 110/70-17 Apollo Alpha h1 and 140/70-17 Pirelli Angel CT for the Honda cbr250r. No dealer had fresh stock of Michelin's radial tyres in hyderabad. The Alpha h1 being a radial, being riding it for the past 2 weeks, grip in tarmac and wet has been certiainly good, for the angel Ct as being said by Pirelli is a mix between radial and soft compound offers pretty good grip in the city
Old 14th August 2019, 13:14   #819
BHPian

Hi,

Need Inputs !!!

I have a RE TB350 2015 Feb make. The stock tires have become really hard and have developed cracks. Till not I have expereinced only 2 punctures, which were due to nails and I cant blame the tires. I would rate them really good on this front.

I usually ride within the city, the roads in my area are bad but otherwise the roads are pretty decent. There is Metro work, Flyover work which is in progress on the roads which I take to work and hence the tires do go through abuse.

Till now they have run about 19K in 4.5 years. I want to change as I know that the braking is not very effective, plus they skid and are not comfortable on my back as they have become very hard.

While going through this forum & other ownership forum people have following recommendation, but not many people highlighting weather the compounds are soft or not. I am looking for softer compound tires.

Most of them have highlighted the fact that their life is higher, which means they are on harder side.

1) MRF Zappers - As said my experience has not been bad & these tires have a good life, but I feel they are on harder side. As my running is not that high I know once in 4/5 years I will need to change the tires anyways.

Pros - Good availability, Recent Manufactured Stock, Tube type is available as a set, trustable brand.

Cons - They are on harder side after 2/3 years of usage.

2) CEAT GRIPP XL - There are mixed reviews now that it comes on Himalayan there are a few people I have checked with and they feel confident on these tires & have good grip. These again have a 7 year warranty. I think they fall in Harder Tyres.

Pros - Availability is there, they have tube type as a set, although they are for off roading people do not highlight any negatives in city usage. They have claimed to have better wet & dry grip compared to MRF Zapper.

Cons - There are mixed reviews, although they have improved as a company over the last few years.

3) Ralco Speedblaster- These seem to have cult following and hence people who have used they swear by it but it is not easily available plus they are available in Tubeless versions & not Tube type. I would then have to go for separate tubes. I would rather prefer them to be by the manufacturer & as a set.

Pros - One of the reviews mentioned they are on softer side but I am not sure about it.

Cons - Not sure about after sales service, availability is a challenge for recent stock, Tube type not available.

Following are the specs

90/90 - 19 Front
120/80 - 18 Back

If I choose to go for softer compound would it result in more punctures ? I would want to stay away as TB350 is with Spoke Wheels and when there is a puncture you really end up pushing the bike lot more. I am in Hyderabad and you have lot of slopes around here. Plus not many puncturewallas are ready to work on the bike as it has discs & have to remove the typre completely.

Which other tires would you recommend which are on softer side. I would want to keep the stock specification.

Last edited by freak : 14th August 2019 at 13:30.
Old 14th August 2019, 18:27   #820
BHPian

Might sound like a noob question, but important for me to know.
Interceptor tyres size:
Front :-100/90-18, Rear :-130/70-18
Planning a longish solo ride next month and with the tube type tyre on the Interceptor, a puncture is always a worry. Also 18" size tube is not widely available.
So I am planning to carry a tube along on the ride.
Now the question is - Do I need to carry 2 different tubes for the front and rear or is there any one tube size that may fit both?
Also, in case the OEM tubes are different on the front and rear, can the same tube be put on either and used temporarily?
I would prefer carrying one tube as I need the luggage to be as less as possible.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:57   #821
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a query maybe some of you can answer.

I got the Vee Rubber VRM 307 in the size 100/90-17 for the front for my D390. The response from the tyre is just fantastic but there is absolute loud tyre noise once I cross 50kmph. I do understand that dual-purpose tyres make some noise but this has become unbearable. Please note that this is a front tyre and not a rear one put on the front. For once, I thought my wheel bearings are out, checked them and they are perfectly fine. My bike has run only 5300 kms on the stock metz ( still kept with me ). My mech said that the noise will wear out in the next 200 kms or so. I have done hardly 50kms on them till date.

Now, I have been running the same tyre on my impulse ( 19 inches ) but there was no noise. Also, I could not find this size ( 100/90-17 ) anywhere online. Not even on the Vee Rubber official website. Is this a fake tyre which I have got. By the way, I got the same from Globe Tyres, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.

Would appreciate if someone can help in this regard. The only other option would be to get the Mich Sirac.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-1.jpeg  

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-2.jpeg  

Old 16th August 2019, 14:50   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I got the Vee Rubber VRM 307 in the size 100/90-17 for the front for my D390. The response from the tyre is just fantastic but there is absolute loud tyre noise once I cross 50kmph.
I dont know about the noise but that mud guard looks to be too close to the tire. Is there enough space in there?
Old 16th August 2019, 15:02   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I dont know about the noise but that mud guard looks to be too close to the tire. Is there enough space in there?
Hey Neil,

The fender has been raised after the install. Got the fender raisers from Lluvia. The issue with the noise still persists.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-3.jpeg  

Old 16th August 2019, 15:11   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hey Neil,

The fender has been raised after the install. Got the fender raisers from Lluvia. The issue with the noise still persists.

Cheers
Aditya, that is good to hear. Now onto the other factors that could be resulting in the noise. First, check the tire specs and manufacturing date. I find is a little suspicious that there is no tire shown on the Vee Rubber website in the 100 / 90 - 17 specification. So maybe this is an older tire that is no longer on sale. Check the manufacturing date. It should be a 4 digit number with the first two digits representing the week in which it was manufactured (basically it will be between 01 - 52) and the last two digits will be the year in which it was made. So 1618 will mean 16th week of 2018. If it is an old tire, maybe there has been some degradation in the tire quality that is causing the noise.

Also this might be unlikely, but see if they installed a 110 / 90 - 17 tire instead of a 100 / 90 - 17 one. The pictures make the tire look to be very chunky for a 100 / 90 - 17!
Old 16th August 2019, 15:46   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Aditya, that is good to hear. Now onto the other factors that could be resulting in the noise. First, check the tire specs and manufacturing date. I find is a little suspicious that there is no tire shown on the Vee Rubber website in the 100 / 90 - 17 specification. So maybe this is an older tire that is no longer on sale. Check the manufacturing date. It should be a 4 digit number with the first two digits representing the week in which it was manufactured (basically it will be between 01 - 52) and the last two digits will be the year in which it was made. So 1618 will mean 16th week of 2018. If it is an old tire, maybe there has been some degradation in the tire quality that is causing the noise.

Also, this might be unlikely, but see if they installed a 110 / 90 - 17 tire instead of a 100 / 90 - 17 one. The pictures make the tire look to be very chunky for a 100 / 90 - 17!
Hey Neil,

Just checked the information. The size is indeed 100/90-17. And the manufacturing date is 1119, which I believe is the 11th week of 2019. I guess this would be a manufacturing defect.

Anyway, I have spoken to the vendor and he has agreed to replace the tire. I might opt for the Michelin Sirac.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks