Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 09:07   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MRF Zapper FY1 90/80-17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Thank you for the review, I'm currently running Masseter's at both ends on my P220, they're decent for the time being but do wear down at an accelerated rate, though I guess that it could be attributed to a few interstate runs I've done in the past.

Unfortunately we do not have MRF Online service in Kerala hence why I had to pay a whooping 5.5k for the pair of Masseter's.
5.5 is a bit steep for the pair of front and rear.

How long do you think the masseter will last? If they last for 25k kms ,i think it is good for the amount of grip that they offer. FY1 will easily last 25K if maintained at proper tyre pressure. Twice when i replaced the FY1, it still had tread to last for another 5K kms. I replaced it as a precautionary measure.

Lemme know if you need help in procuring the FY1. Can take it via PM.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 22:21   #842
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Haven't changed yet, shortlisted Ceat GRIPP XL.
I went ahead and changed tyres on cousin's TB350. Choose Ceat Zoom instead of GRIPP XL as I felt GRIPP XL were too knobby for my liking and for usage on paved roads of city/highway.

Paid Rs. 4,200 for both front & rear tyre/tube set. Had to pay Rs. 200 extra for tyre fitting just due to disc brake setup.

Front tyre
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-front01.jpg
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-front02.jpg

Rear tyre
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-rear01.jpg
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-rear02.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 22:55   #843
BHPian

I need to change the rear tyre of my Yamaha FZS. It has picked up micro punctures on it. Currently it has a Michelin Radial 140/70 17 on it. What is the suggested tyre that I could change it with?
Old 11th October 2019, 00:00   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I went ahead and changed tyres on cousin's TB350. Choose Ceat Zoom instead of GRIPP XL as I felt GRIPP XL were too knobby for my liking and for usage on paved roads of city/highway.
That's great can you share any inputs on them ?
Old 11th October 2019, 03:41   #845
Senior - BHPian

TVS NTORQ doesn't seem to have any choice in Tyre Brands. The TVS tyre isn't inspiring confidence among my peers who are using the bike for a year. So is there a Zapper/Michelin option? Asking the experts here. Any input?
Old 11th October 2019, 13:38   #846
BANNED

Re: MRF Zapper FY1 90/80-17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
5.5 is a bit steep for the pair of front and rear.
The guys went far enough to take an extra 200/- for two new valves.

Quote:
How long do you think the masseter will last?
This is what a new tire looks like;

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20191003wa0016.jpg

This is what my 8k old tire looks like;

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-imag0069.jpg

So I guess at the time being I can guarantee 15k km's of life at the least, maybe more but I cant make any promises, and that is considering that I do not do any burnouts or any such things that compromise tire life prematurely, so I guess its safe to say that tire life might be a concern, though we can't be sure at the moment.

Quote:
Lemme know if you need help in procuring the FY1. Can take it via PM.
Would reach to you when I'm up for a change.

I was inquiring as I got to know that the FY1 and RevZ S is a desired combo, almost in the same price range as Masseter's as well. After a few more reviews I'd conclude whether to stick with Masseter's or go for the alternate combo.

So far I'm amazed by the Masseters, they stick to the road and never surprise you by slipping or sliding, even if they slide they slide consistently which is truly amazing, especially when you loose traction at the front.

I have also raised my rear end by about 2 inches and gone back to OEM clip-ons, brakes have also been updated to RTR ones, just so that I can take advantage of the grip and handling on offer.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 17:40   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Paid Rs. 4,200 for both front & rear tyre/tube set. Had to pay Rs. 200 extra for tyre fitting just due to disc brake setup.

Front tyre
Attachment 1922112
Attachment 1922113

Rear tyre
Attachment 1922114
Attachment 1922115
Out of curiosity, I was just looking up the Ceat front tire in the 90 / 90 R19 size and realized that the Ceat website has only the Zoom Plus F in this size but the website strangely does show the tire without a central groove. The tire you purchased has a distinct groove down the middle. Can you please recheck if the tire your purchased is the same Zoom Plus F or another tire (which then isnt on their website)? Either way, it is surprising to see that Ceat has goofed up on its company website.

The rear tire you purchased is the Zoom Plus. There was another model called the Ceat Vertigo Zoom (this was before the Zoom Plus came out I guess) that was also sold in the same 120 / 80 R18 size. It is all rather confusing!

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-pa199180-large.jpg
The older Ceat Zoom

I have used the Zoom Plus as a rear tire for some time on my Continental GT 535 and it is quite a good tire in all conditions.
Old 14th October 2019, 11:00   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
That's great can you share any inputs on them ?
Let me/my cousin put up some miles on these, as usual, first impressions of a new tyre are always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The tire you purchased has a distinct groove down the middle. Can you please recheck if the tire your purchased is the same Zoom Plus F or another tire (which then isnt on their website)?
Both tyres were shown by dealer as Zoom Plus. I don't have bike with me these days to confirm the last letter in tyre model; can confirm next weekend.

Quote:
Either way, it is surprising to see that Ceat has goofed up on its company website.
It's always confusing on websites, so had called up local dealers for better on-ground information. When I landed up at short-listed dealer, was told mix of Zoom plus & Gripp XL for TB350. I had to search another dealer who had Zoom plus for both front & rear tyre.

Quote:
There was another model called the Ceat Vertigo Zoom (this was before the Zoom Plus came out I guess) that was also sold in the same 120 / 80 R18 size. It is all rather confusing!
I was looking for Vertigo zoom for my karizma few years back, no one had it in stock. Missed out trying that wider tyre on karizma, search for next set on karizma will start next year.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:14   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both tyres were shown by dealer as Zoom Plus. I don't have bike with me these days to confirm the last letter in tyre model; can confirm next weekend.
Quote:
It's always confusing on websites, so had called up local dealers for better on-ground information. When I landed up at short-listed dealer, was told mix of Zoom plus & Gripp XL for TB350. I had to search another dealer who had Zoom plus for both front & rear tyre.
You are right, it is confusing to go on the site and then try to validate it with online retailer listings and then go to the store and check the tires out in person. I assume that the F in the front tire named Zoom Plus F denotes that it is to be used for the front only.

The Ceat website claims for the Gripp XL and Zoom Plus are quite interesting as well and wasnt quite what I expected. The more blocky patterned Gripp XL claims a full score in wet grip and grip with a lesser tire life. The more sporty Zoom Plus that is aimed at cornering ability scores lower in wet grip and grip but better tire life and best in comfort. I honestly think they have interchanged the scores or that their marketing team got carried away

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-capture.png

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-capture2.png
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 08:49   #850
BHPian

Confused between MRF and Michelin for TVS Jupiter (12 inches 90/90). Or any other brands? Thank you.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:16   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Confused between MRF and Michelin for TVS Jupiter (12 inches 90/90). Or any other brands? Thank you.
Michelin City Pro is manufactured by TVS, works well in dry conditions however skids at slightest wet patch. You can also look at Ceat, have seen their tubeless variant in 12" at a dealer either in Secura or Zoom range.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 09:16   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Ceat is another option.

I would not recommend TVS tyres. They are bad in terms of grip and comfort. MRF,Michelin,Ceat are good choices and choose whichever suits you.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 18:30   #853
BANNED

Quote:
Michelin City Pro is manufactured by TVS, works well in dry conditions however skids at slightest wet patch.
Are you sure that Michelin City Pro is manufactured by TVS?

From where did you get that info?
Old 29th October 2019, 07:38   #854
Senior - BHPian

Yes Michelin motorcycle tyres for India are manufactured by the worst two wheeler tyre manufacturers in the world - TVS, in their Madurai plant.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 08:08   #855
Senior - BHPian

Came across this video review of Timsun tires, especially for the Versys 650 riders. I'm keen on getting new shoes for my versys soon, and would like to know people's experiences with either of these tires?

Most Viewed