Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 10:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

I am looking for a replacement tyre for my Fiero. At present, I have a rear Bridgestone 110/80R18 tubeless (I have alloys - front and rear), and I understand this model is now discontinued. (I am not able to even find a link online to show the tread pattern/ specifics of the tyre now).

So, my requirement is a 110/80 or a 110/70 R18 tubeless, either of which I am not able to source in Mumbai - atleast from the limited dealers I know. Suggestions requested and welcomed.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
How about the Michelin Sirac and the IRC NR48? Heard good reviews about the IRC.
No idea about Sirac but it is mostly heavier than the other lot. IRC NR48 has very good reviews and fellow bhpian Shivank had it on his 180. But again its very soft compound and might last around 12-15k kms. If you are ok with this then its a very good tyre. I could not find it at all anywhere in south bangalore and hence went with the Pirelli.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
No idea about Sirac but it is mostly heavier than the other lot. IRC NR48 has very good reviews and fellow bhpian Shivank had it on his 180. But again its very soft compound and might last around 12-15k kms. If you are ok with this then its a very good tyre. I could not find it at all anywhere in south bangalore and hence went with the Pirelli.
Hi abhinav.s,
is it the Pirelli MT75 that you're talking about? Mine is RTR160 and rear is size 18. Will it be compatible? Any idea on its influence on mileage/ pick up?
Old 8th November 2012, 17:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
is it the Pirelli MT75 that you're talking about? Mine is RTR160 and rear is size 18. Will it be compatible? Any idea on its influence on mileage/ pick up?
Yes it is the Pirelli MT75. I was able to find it only in 17" size so far. For 18" the options are too little. I had a TVS Jumbo tubeless tyre on my previous RTR160. It was just ok and slightly better than the Srichakra tyres. Once i switched to the 180, was happy to find atleast 2-3 options but alas, they were unavailable in the market.

With regards to mileage and pick up, i did not find a huge difference at all. The TVS Jumbo was actually 110 section tyre while the stock 160 tyre is 100/90 still there was no difference in mileage or pick up.
Old 15th November 2012, 07:17   #95
BHPian

I have a problem with the front tires in my R15. The air pressure constantly keeps dropping to 10 or 12 psi every day. When checked with the puncture shop he said the alloys have developed rust and hence the leakage through the walls of the tire. He then finely sandpapered the entire area and there was no leakage for 3 weeks and now it has started again.
My question is can I use a tube inside my tubeless tires. Will it affect the performance, handling or breaking? And what is the procedure to do so.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:06   #96
BHPian

Yesterday my friend's ZMR rear tyre (Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90/18) which has run about 2K had a deep cut. Can someone suggest a way to repair it. The puncture guy tried his best with the sealant and said that it would be a temporary fix though.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:01   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
I have a problem with the front tires in my R15. The air pressure constantly keeps dropping to 10 or 12 psi every day. When checked with the puncture shop he said the alloys have developed rust and hence the leakage through the walls of the tire. He then finely sandpapered the entire area and there was no leakage for 3 weeks and now it has started again.
My question is can I use a tube inside my tubeless tires. Will it affect the performance, handling or breaking? And what is the procedure to do so.
Alloys dont develop rust because they are not made of cast iron.Did you see the rust when the tyre was removed from the rim? Most probably the problem is with the tyre itself. If your tyre is old then there are chances that the air might be leaking from the sidewall.So to check apply soap water along the point where the rim meets tyre after some time see if a foam is starting to form on the junction.If its rim bend then the foam will be thick.If its tyre problem then the foam will not be dense.

If your tyre is at its end of life then you can change the tyre to a new one anyway. If the problem stops then well and good otherwise you will need to buy a new rim. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Yesterday my friend's ZMR rear tyre (Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90/18) which has run about 2K had a deep cut. Can someone suggest a way to repair it. The puncture guy tried his best with the sealant and said that it would be a temporary fix though.
If the cut is on the sidewall replace the tyre or else you can get it patched from the inside and use it if there is no air leak. Else use it with tube inside.

If its on sidewall then discard the tyre and buy new one!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 08:37   #98
BHPian

I did not get a chance to see the rust inside the tire. But when the soap was applied the foam was very dense.
The tire was brand new so I doubt if there are any problems in the tire. Anyways I will check the alloys once again. Thanks!
Old 24th November 2012, 08:37   #99
BHPian

@ Sagarpadaki: Thanks for your suggestion. The cut was not on the side walls. Repaired the tyre in a tyre rethreading shop. A heavy duty patch was placed inside the tyre after heating and the cut which was visible outside was covered with melted rubber. Once this process was completed, throughly tested for leaks and no issues were identified. Total charges paid was Rs.400.

Will post the before and after pictures soon
Old 28th November 2012, 16:58   #100
BHPian

Hey guys! I need your advise on this.

I am planning to replace the rear tyre in my R15 V.1 with Michelin Pilot Sporty 100/90 17 inch. Please advice me on the pros, cons and if it would affect or improve the performance and handling of the bike.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th November 2012, 20:04   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
I am planning to replace the rear tyre in my R15 V.1 with Michelin Pilot Sporty 100/90 17 inch. Please advice me on the pros, cons and if it would affect or improve the performance and handling of the bike.
The advise you are looking for is addressed in the first post by the original poster with a review of the pilot sporty. Please check back on the first page and ask any specific queries you might have regarding the feedback provided. This helps maintain the quality of the thread without repeat posts!
Old 29th November 2012, 08:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Please check back on the first page and ask any specific queries you might have regarding the feedback provided. This helps maintain the quality of the thread without repeat posts!
Thanks abhinav.s . I did read the review from the first page and I have also read from many other forums that Pilot Sporty reduces the acceleration and top speed of R15. That is why I wanted to know the review of this tyre specifically for use in Yamaha R15 V1.0.
Old 1st December 2012, 11:25   #103
BHPian

Guys, my 2006 Honda Unicorn has done almost 40K now and the rear stock tyre has lost all its thread. Dire need to change it. Please suggest some tyre, which can be driven on tough surfaces and for highway drive.
Can I upsize?
Which brand?
Old 1st December 2012, 11:25   #104
BHPian

Planning to change the stock rear tyre (MRF Zapper Y - 100/90/18) in my CBZ Xtreme to Pirelli Sport Demon (110/90-18 M/C TL61 H SPORTD). Need to know if this will be a direct fit without any modifications?

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:28   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys, my 2006 Honda Unicorn has done almost 40K now and the rear stock tyre has lost all its thread. Dire need to change it. Please suggest some tyre, which can be driven on tough surfaces and for highway drive.
Can I upsize?
Which brand?
Go for Ceat vertigo or michelin sirac street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Planning to change the stock rear tyre (MRF Zapper Y - 100/90/18) in my CBZ Xtreme to Pirelli Sport Demon (110/90-18 M/C TL61 H SPORTD). Need to know if this will be a direct fit without any modifications?

Thanks!
Yes its direct fit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks