Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 22:25   #796
BANNED

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
If Michelins are bad in wet
The comment was with regards to the cheaper Indian made Michelin's, the Pilot Street Radial is a different tire and offers really good grip, though fellow enthusiasts suggest opting for the Revz FC1 at the front instead of the PSR as the latter tends to make the motorcycle a tad too front heavy.

Do have a look at the Pirelli Angel CT(Not GT!), they're economically priced and have decent reviews so far.
Old 12th March 2019, 23:14   #797
BHPian

Hey Team. I was planning to change the tyres on my CGT 650 to something like the below picture. Now these are firestone tyres which are imports and pretty expensive ones. I wanted to check if there are such retro type tyres available in 16/17/18” size. I was thinking of going for 16” for both front and rear and take a higher profile so as to almost maintain the ride height.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-01a1db55858a42b8b42cdc119f156d04.jpeg  

Old 13th March 2019, 09:32   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The comment was with regards to the cheaper Indian made Michelin's, the Pilot Street Radial is a different tire and offers really good grip, though fellow enthusiasts suggest opting for the Revz FC1 at the front instead of the PSR as the latter tends to make the motorcycle a tad too front heavy.

Do have a look at the Pirelli Angel CT(Not GT!), they're economically priced and have decent reviews so far.
All of the Indian made Michelin bike/scooter tyres are crappy in grip, especially in wet. First shock for me was when i switched from a Made In Thailand Pilot Sporty to Made In India Pilot sporty . After a short but sweet stint with Made in Thailand Pilot sporty, i had high exceptions from the Indian made ones. The tyre made the bike feel like its on one of the water slides in a theme park when it rained. Absolutely no grip. Wonder, what made Michelin to degrade their quality so much! . Few riders have had worse experience with the Pilot sporty on the front which have caused the front end loss of control even in dry!

I would say MRF has come along a long way in the segment of grippy tyres. I went back to MRF Masseter 100/90-17 on my Pulsar 180 UG3 after 4 sets of other brand tyres and i would rate them very high. For the front the Zapper FY1 90/80-17 from R15 V2 does a good job ! Looking forward for the Masseter in 80/90-17 for the front to complement the on at the rear once the front one wears out.

Stock MRF Zapper C(OK) -> Michelin Pilot sporty(Super) -> Zapper Vyde(Very Good) -> Indian made Pilot sporty(Crappy) -> Pilot street Radial(Excellent) -> MRF Masseter(Excellent)
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 10:41   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hey Team. I was planning to change the tyres on my CGT 650 to something like the below picture. Now these are firestone tyres which are imports and pretty expensive ones. I wanted to check if there are such retro type tyres available in 16/17/18” size. I was thinking of going for 16” for both front and rear and take a higher profile so as to almost maintain the ride height.
The problem with the 18 inch wheels that the Continental GT 535 / 650 have is that there are very limited options in the 18 inch size for any kind of use. You could look at the Ceat Gripp (front though its designed to be a rear tire!) & Gripp XL (rear). I believe the Gripp XL is the same model that the Himalayan comes with at the rear. MRF has the 100/90-18 Meteor for the front but nothing for the rear. Or you could look at Timsun tires, reviews have been very favourable so far. Link - http://timsun.in/size/

Alternatively, you could downsize to 16 / 17 inchers but then you would need to procure spoked / alloy wheels and then the tires and then experiment on whether or not they fit properly. When you downsize the rims, you would need a bigger tire to compensate for the loss of ride height but the rear swingarm can only take 140 section tires to my knowledge. That said, the variety of tire options overall is a lot higher in 17 inchers. My suggestion would be stick to 18 inchers and go for either Timsun or Ceat Gripps.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:04   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
All of the Indian made Michelin bike/scooter tyres are crappy in grip, especially in wet. First shock for me was when i switched from a Made In Thailand Pilot Sporty to Made In India Pilot sporty . After a short but sweet stint with Made in Thailand Pilot sporty, i had high exceptions from the Indian made ones. The tyre made the bike feel like its on one of the water slides in a theme park when it rained. Absolutely no grip. Wonder, what made Michelin to degrade their quality so much! . Few riders have had worse experience with the Pilot sporty on the front which have caused the front end loss of control even in dry!
A little digging as to who makes those tyres in India will answer your why's.

TVS !

Just avoid them like the plague. TVS makes the crappiest two wheeler tyres.

Edit : Which tyre/ model would you recommend for the Pulsar 150 (front wheel). Mine will be due for replacement in a couple of months. Its currently running on MRF Zapper.

Last edited by longhorn : 13th March 2019 at 13:08.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:51   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
A little digging as to who makes those tyres in India will answer your why's.

TVS !

Edit : Which tyre/ model would you recommend for the Pulsar 150 (front wheel). Mine will be due for replacement in a couple of months. Its currently running on MRF Zapper.
For front, go for MRF Masseter X 80/90-17. Costs around 1800 Rupees. Next choice is Zapper FY 80/90-17(R15 V1 front tyre). However, this tyre is very very hard to find since the production is stopped. Whatever you might get will be more than 2 years old manufactured. The third choice is Zapper FY1(R15 V2 front tyre). Will have a round profile since the P150 rim is bit narrow for the 90 section tyre. But grip is phenominal in dry and wet.

Masseter are the best MRF offer now. So scout around in the MRF retail outlets a bit.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 22:50   #802
BANNED

Quote:
All of the Indian made Michelin bike/scooter tyres are crappy in grip, especially in wet. the Pilot sporty on the front which have caused the front end loss of control even in dry!
Had the exact same experience with Michelin Sirac Street at the front on my ZMA, since the rear was wrapped in a Dunlop Monster Trail, when the front broke traction at low speeds, the motorcycle literally did a 360 with the rear as the pivot, like drawing a circle with a compass, the sticky Dunlop being the stationary end and the Michelin obviously being the loose end.

The Michelin Pilot Street Radial, is a class apart and is priced accordingly, a pair costs about 10k+, though pricey many enthusiasts swear by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Amen to that!

From my initial review of my CT100B back in 2017;

Quote:
The Rubbers.

•Front – 2.75 * 17 Ceat Secura F85
•Rear – 3.00 * 17 Ceat Secura M86

They’re from Ceat and NOT from Eurogrip, which is all that you’ll need to know.
Only those once bitten would get it.

Quote:
I'm currently running a P150 recommended front tire on my Bajaj CT100B from Apollo, grip is commendable, yet to break traction on hard braking.

Apollo ActiZip F2 80/100-17

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 13th March 2019 at 22:53.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 00:10   #803
BHPian

Thanks buddy. Will check Timsun as well as ceat gripp. I actually want to lower the riding height as that would give me a more comfortable riding position. I am 5’7” and my feet are not flat on the ground when I am idling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The problem with the 18 inch wheels that the Continental GT 535 / 650 have is that there are very limited options in the 18 inch size for any kind of use. You could look at the Ceat Gripp (front though its designed to be a rear tire!) & Gripp XL (rear). I believe the Gripp XL is the same model that the Himalayan comes with at the rear. MRF has the 100/90-18 Meteor for the front but nothing for the rear. Or you could look at Timsun tires, reviews have been very favourable so far. Link - http://timsun.in/size/

Alternatively, you could downsize to 16 / 17 inchers but then you would need to procure spoked / alloy wheels and then the tires and then experiment on whether or not they fit properly. When you downsize the rims, you would need a bigger tire to compensate for the loss of ride height but the rear swingarm can only take 140 section tires to my knowledge. That said, the variety of tire options overall is a lot higher in 17 inchers. My suggestion would be stick to 18 inchers and go for either Timsun or Ceat Gripps.
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 09:23   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Thanks buddy. Will check Timsun as well as ceat gripp. I actually want to lower the riding height as that would give me a more comfortable riding position. I am 5’7” and my feet are not flat on the ground when I am idling.
On the Continental GT 535 owners group, there was a picture circulated of a GT 535 with FZ alloys, so that's an option for you though I dont know more details. Honestly, even Ive toyed with the idea of moving to 17 inch alloys on my GT 535 to get grippier tires.

A little off topic but currently the major front rear combination in stock sizes of the GT 535 / 650 available in India is Pirelli Sport Demons (OEM tires for the 535 but so many complaints about premature cuts rendering the tires unusable at around 7,000 kms) and most of that is old stock as well. The Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tires that are on the GT 650 havent come out in the open market yet. Sourcing them from Royal Enfield is bound to be expensive, the price of the PSDs was more than 2x the actual market rate a few years ago. So you might actually be better off moving to 17 inchers in the long run.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 23:35   #805
Senior - BHPian

Need help with Pulsar 180 UG3 tyres. My bike came with 2.75x17 41P and 100/90 tube tyres for the front and rear respectively. I upgraded them to 90/90 x17 and 120/80 17 a few years ago, these were tubeless

They were running fine until recently, when I noticed a leak. The front tyre has a air leak where the tyre meets the alloy and the rear alloy has been damaged and has a pin-hole size leak. Due to this, i've to visit a tyre shop once a week atleast. My bike doesn't see much usage (3k kms in the last 6 years) so each time I want to ride, I first have to get the tyre pressure checked.

I visited a few places and all suggested using the same tyre by adding a tube as this would solve the problem of air leak from the rims. Is it safe to do so ? My rims must be for tube type as the bike originally came with tube type tyres.

I am thinking of buying a tube from Amazon and getting it fixed since the local shops don't stock tube of reputed brands. Will these fit my bike ?

Front tyre
https://www.amazon.in/Ceat-2-75-17-P...s%2C273&sr=8-6

Rear tyre (will this fit or should I get one for 120/80 size ?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06Y5LC8H1/ref=dp_cerb_1

Any inputs would be appreciated
Old 18th July 2019, 06:49   #806
Senior - BHPian

I got fooled by the good looking Michelin Pilot Sporty once (Now out of production). Madhus somehow sourced one for me as I was smitten by its looks...LOL. TVS makes tyres as OEM and are competitive for bulk purchases by bike manufacturers. The tyre is the best looking for small bikes, but skids like anything. I trusted only Zapper then, now - Masseter. The TVS NTORQ is a racy, snappy scooter and comes with TVS tyres. Wonder how they fare!

Quote:
Pilot sporty
Old 18th July 2019, 09:34   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I got fooled by the good looking Michelin Pilot Sporty once (Now out of production). Madhus somehow sourced one for me as I was smitten by its looks...LOL. TVS makes tyres as OEM and are competitive for bulk purchases by bike manufacturers. The tyre is the best looking for small bikes, but skids like anything. I trusted only Zapper then, now - Masseter. The TVS NTORQ is a racy, snappy scooter and comes with TVS tyres. Wonder how they fare!

Haha. I got fooled by assuming that since the earlier Made in Thailand Pilot Sporty were excellent, the Made in India ones would also be equally good. Had to live with them for 25,000 kms! I used to wonder why they are so bad and when i came to know they were manufactured by TVS, i got my answer . All TVS 2 wheelers come with their own tyres. I changed the TVS tyres on our wego to MRF zapper after 16,000 kms. They had turned hard and skiddy after 10K kms.

Masseter are a class apart and very under-rated. I have installed the Masseter at the rear on my Pulsar 180 UG3 in 100/90-17 size. I am very happy with how they handle. In fact, i had never imagined few years ago that one day the Indian market would have sticky tyres readily available in the 100 section. Most of the tyres in 100 section are medium or hard compound tyres and I always had to upsize to get a stickier tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Need help with Pulsar 180 UG3 tyres. My bike came with 2.75x17 41P and 100/90 tube tyres for the front and rear respectively. I upgraded them to 90/90 x17 and 120/80 17 a few years ago, these were tubeless

[/url]

Any inputs would be appreciated
Since we both own same bike, i would suggest the below combo to you. It is the best combination available for our bikes in the market currently. I am using them.

Rear - MRF Masseter X 100/90-17
Front - Zapper FY1 90/80-17

Do not bother online since the cost of is pretty high.

Go to the MRF website and create an account. You can purchase the tyres at MRF online for lower cost than what you would pay at the store. Schedule an installation time and go to the store and they will install the tyres.No extra or hidden cost. I chose Saptagiri tyres in Chamrajpet since they are near to my area Vijayanagar.

https://www.mrftyresandservice.com/s...0090-17-tl/517
https://www.mrftyresandservice.com/s...9080-17-tl/492

Last edited by navin : 18th July 2019 at 10:48.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 21:21   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Need help with Pulsar 180 UG3 tyres. My bike came with 2.75x17 41P and 100/90 tube tyres for the front and rear respectively.

They were running fine until recently, when I noticed a leak. The front tyre has a air leak where the tyre meets the alloy..
I too have a Pulsar 180 UG3 (Feb 2007).

I had bought a Michelin City Pro 2.75 x 17 Tubeless from Amazon.in on 10 Nov. 2018. When I got it installed, the air leak problem (similar to your) aroused. I took it to the same puncturewala and he "repaired it using some solution" by charging Rs. 100/-. Till date I have not faced air leak problem from that "place". I think he used some sealant between the Tyre and Alloy which solved the problem.

You too can try this out.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:11   #809
BHPian

Hey guys, a tyre change is due on my 2013 Honda Dio which is on its 2nd set after running close to 60k kms. MRF Zapper has been on duty since day 1 and I am quite happy with it, I just wanted a change and thought of opting for Michelin City Pro but after seeing mixed reviews on Michelin's here, I am thinking to stay with Zapper's. Advice please?
Old 19th July 2019, 10:25   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Hey guys, a tyre change is due on my 2013 Honda Dio
Michelin City pro are fine for dry roads, wet grip is an issue. You can also look at Ceat Zoom/Secura else continue with another set of MRF Zapper.

Most Viewed