Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 11:05   #76
gemi_kk

Re: 150cc Bike with good stability

I will not suggest anything other than the mighty R15 for your requirements and considering your physique. i.e your height and weight.

My reasons,
You need a planted bike, so you should get away from commuter bike segment where all bikes have a taller handle bar. This moves the weight to rear wheels at speeds or when there is a pillion. If you want some weight to your handle bars and if you need some serious handling capabilities, you are indirectly asking for an R15. If you want something else, then read on..

Apache is another good handler and it sounds best to fit your requirements.

Unicorn will be heavy for you, considering the height of it. You may say that you are comfortable with it, but in the long run, you will start accepting the truth. If you are more of a city commuter, you will realize in less than 6 months.

First of all, if you have ridden primarily a Passion, i would suggest you to borrow some of your friends bikes, Try an Apache for 2 days, then Try a pulsar for another couple of days, and then try an unicorn/cbz. Your personal like or dislike doesn't matter. Just try them for couple of days. Based on that, you take a call. A test drive will never reveal the complete characteristics of a bike. You need to ride long to take a call.

First i felt Unicorn is a bad bike, but after using it for couple of days, i started loving it more than my pulsar. It was in 2007. What i am trying to say is, Personal opinions change after you drive a vehicle for couple of days.

My 2 cents after clocking 2Lakh + kms and after owning 5 motorcycles of different makes.
  (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 11:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

All 150ccs are stable. I don't know where you got idea that bikes become unstable! Any bike, be it 65cc to 1000cc, it can't be unstable.

In your selected brands, consider:
1. Honda 150cc (Unicorn or that new one, sorry forgot the name)
2. HH Hunk/extreme
3. Suzuki GS150R, but test it first whether you find it too heavy or tall.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 13:02   #78

Re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

Thank you guys.
I didn't mean Yamaha/TVS/Bajaj are not stable. I dont prefer these brands (personal choice).
Budget upto 85,000.
Between unicorn CB and Trigger, trigger is lighter so is it less stable than the former ?
Old 19th May 2014, 13:21   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I will not suggest anything other than the mighty R15 for your requirements and considering your physique. i.e your height and weight.

My reasons,
You need a planted bike, so you should get away from commuter bike segment where all bikes have a taller handle bar. This moves the weight to rear wheels at speeds or when there is a pillion. If you want some weight to your handle bars and if you need some serious handling capabilities, you are indirectly asking for an R15. If you want something else, then read on..

Apache is another good handler and it sounds best to fit your requirements.

Unicorn will be heavy for you, considering the height of it. You may say that you are comfortable with it, but in the long run, you will start accepting the truth. If you are more of a city commuter, you will realize in less than 6 months.

First of all, if you have ridden primarily a Passion, i would suggest you to borrow some of your friends bikes, Try an Apache for 2 days, then Try a pulsar for another couple of days, and then try an unicorn/cbz. Your personal like or dislike doesn't matter. Just try them for couple of days. Based on that, you take a call. A test drive will never reveal the complete characteristics of a bike. You need to ride long to take a call.

First i felt Unicorn is a bad bike, but after using it for couple of days, i started loving it more than my pulsar. It was in 2007. What i am trying to say is, Personal opinions change after you drive a vehicle for couple of days.

My 2 cents after clocking 2Lakh + kms and after owning 5 motorcycles of different makes.
You absolutely got my problem !!. The handle which feels light and kind of trembles as you increase the speed with the pillion in the back.
I will be mostly riding it in the city and with R15 ,bending forwards posture will cause back discomfort ?
Old 19th May 2014, 14:58   #80
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carafooz View Post
You absolutely got my problem !!. The handle which feels light and kind of trembles as you increase the speed with the pillion in the back.
I will be mostly riding it in the city and with R15 ,bending forwards posture will cause back discomfort ?
Obviously, R15 is out of budget for many. And it doesn't make any sense if you wanna just commute. Its for those who wanna commute in Style and in Bling
Considering your height and weight, i would suggest you to try Apache. It is one hell of a motorcycle when it comes to power, weight and handling. But not in the league of R15 or so.

Another option is Dazzler or its new version. It is lighter, and has a better seating position, with a good gear box. Should fit your requirements very well.

Bike's weight has no effect on handling. Its the dynamics of the bike are important.
- Take a Unicorn, Add a short handle. The immediate effect you would notice is handle weight. Why, short handle, means you need to lean forwards. This adds weight on front, so you will feel the bike being heavier.
- The same is the case with splendor. Try riding a short handled bike, you will feel the difference.

- Personally i wouldn't suggest Hero's.
- Try Dazzler and Uni. Try riding a Uni which has a short handle. That should make lots of difference. It will be as per your expectations. Good weight while handling. But you will have to lean forwards couple of degrees.
- Try Apache. I am sure that you will love it. It Gives the Best FE and power. And it has the best power to weight ratio too. And a lot cheaper to maintain.

Being biased or tiled towards some brands wont give you the best when buying. Try all bikes with a Neutral attitude. Honda hai, accha hai. Aisa soch ko maro goli. Just try all products. You will end up with the best one.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 19th May 2014 at 15:00.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 01:04   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carafooz
I am 5'7" , 70Kg and have been riding a Hero Honda Passion Plus for past 4 years and am looking to buy a new bike.
My number 1 priority is stability. No Yamaha/TVS/Bajaj.
It's ironical that you want stability yet you're ruling out Yamaha. The most stable amongst the 150cc lot is in fact the FZ/Fazer. I've owned it for 4 years and have ridden Unicorn, Avenger, the Pulsars, Apache RTR 160 etc and none of them come close to Yamaha in terms of handling and stability.

If you're looking for stability, you really shouldn't look elsewhere.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd May 2014 at 04:14. Reason: Please use QUOTES while referencing previous posts. Also, only quote relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:16   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I used to ride splendor before buying CBZ xtreme , initially I found the posture a bit painful . I got used to it . Are you looking for a comfortable pillion seat too ? r15 may not be the best bike for pillion comfort. Since you said most of your ride will be in the city , what speeds will you be doing ? Are you sure the handle feels light even at riding speeds in the city ?
Old 24th May 2014, 19:26   #83

Yes, since I will be riding with a pillion, R15 is out.
I am a sedate rider.In city with some open stretches ,I may go till 60kmph, but even at speeds of 45, the handle is the one which gives the problem.
One of my friend who own a Yamaha said that the quality of material used in the bike( plastics, metal parts) are not long lasting, so refrain Yamaha.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, since I will be riding with a pillion, R15 is out.
I am a sedate rider.In city with some open stretches ,I may go till 60kmph, but even at speeds of 45, the handle is the one which gives the problem.
One of my friend who own a Yamaha said that the quality of material used in the bike( plastics, metal parts) are not long lasting, so refrain Yamaha.
Very confusing , your budget is 85k , I guess the bikes in that price range are the ones you do not want to purchase. What all bikes did you test ride so far , if you are ruling out R15 , I guess you will be ruling out CBR 150 too ? What choices did you narrow down to ?

Or how about a used bullet ?
Old 4th June 2014, 02:38   #85

Its going to be Honda Cb Unicorn, after the test drive. Thank You guys for the help. Not in a hurry, so will br purchased after monsoon.
Old 4th June 2014, 09:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Which other bikes did you test ride? The new CBZ xtreme looks a strong contender with a lot of added features.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:47   #87
BHPian

Hi guys,

After using my TVS Victor GX for 8.5 years, I finally sold it off today and I am in look out for a 150-cc bike which can offer me both power and low maintenance. I plan to keep this bike for the long-term. My daily use is around 40 KM in Bangalore traffic.

I have a soft corner for Yamaha bikes, but am also considering one from the Honda stable.

Please suggest.

Last edited by HorsPwr : 5th June 2014 at 14:50.
Old 5th June 2014, 15:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Hi guys,

After using my TVS Victor GX for 8.5 years, I finally sold it off today and I am in look out for a 150-cc bike which can offer me both power and low maintenance. I plan to keep this bike for the long-term. My daily use is around 40 KM in Bangalore traffic.

I have a soft corner for Yamaha bikes, but am also considering one from the Honda stable.

Please suggest.
Honda is not very expensive to maintain , I do not know much about Yamaha. Honda engines are pretty reliable. How about TVS Apache rtr ? Did you test ride it ? It is pretty good on power and I have heard it is not expensive to maintain.
Old 5th June 2014, 15:36   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
How about TVS Apache rtr ? Did you test ride it ?
After using TVS for all these years, I somehow want to get away from it and try out a brand with better engine reliability and resale value! Also, comfortable pillion position is also a criterion.
Old 5th June 2014, 15:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining a Honda is very easy on pocket - unless you really abuse the bike, they do not need much maintenance other than the regular oil change and consumables. From the Honda stable, take a look at the CB Trigger.

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks