Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 15:46   #91
BHPian

Re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
After using TVS for all these years, I somehow want to get away from it and try out a brand with better engine reliability and resale value! Also, comfortable pillion position is also a criterion.
I understand , Honda makes sense . I am not sure if Yamaha R15 or Fz have comfortable pillion seats , they look small and I feel it is very uncomfortable.

You can try test riding the following.

1. Hero: CBZ Xtreme , Hunk
2. Bajaj :Pulsar , Discover 150
3.Yamaha :SZ,R15,FZ
4.Suzuki GS150R
5.Honda: CB unicorn , trigger , CBR150R.

There should be detailed ownership review about the trigger on our forum, do check it out.
Old 5th June 2014, 15:55   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Maintaining a Honda is very easy on pocket - unless you really abuse the bike, they do not need much maintenance other than the regular oil change and consumables. From the Honda stable, take a look at the CB Trigger.
I am a very easy-on-clutch type of rider and had no issues all these years with my earlier bike. Like you said, that was the only thing that I did regularly (change engine oil). How about bikes from Yamaha? I see there are several variants (FZ, FZ-S, SS, etc) and I am confused. The other strong contender here is the Honda Unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
You can try test riding the following.

1. Hero: CBZ Xtreme , Hunk
2. Bajaj :Pulsar , Discover 150
I would have loved to own a first-generation Discover 150, but looking at their website, it looks like they have phased out the D150 and are only offering D100, D125 in rather varying variants! Please let me know if I can still buy the D150.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:02. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 5th June 2014, 16:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I would have loved to own a first-generation Discover 150, but looking at their website, it looks like they have phased out the D150 and are only offering D100, D125 in rather varying variants! Please let me know if I can still buy the D150.
Sorry , I did not know about this. Why don't you check with a Bajaj showroom ? Maybe they will be able to give you better inputs .
Old 5th June 2014, 16:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dedicated site for the classic Discover 150 seems to be up & running even now:

http://www.bajajauto.com/discover150_index.asp

So, just enquire with a dealer in your city; you might get lucky.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 16:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a very easy-on-clutch type of rider and had no issues all these years with my earlier bike. Like you said, that was the only thing that I did regularly (change engine oil). How about bikes from Yamaha? I see there are several variants (FZ, FZ-S, SS, etc) and I am confused. The other strong contender here is the Honda Unicorn.
I left out Yamaha because I have no personal experience of long term ownership with them. What I have seen from my friends who own Yamaha bikes is that they are also low in maintenance and have good quality parts.

Unicorn is a dependable choice - you will never go wrong with a Unicorn, but if I am picking up a 150 CC from Honda's stable now, I will go for Trigger because Unicorn have been in market for quiet some time and Trigger have less plastics, so less rattle.

--Anoop
Old 5th June 2014, 17:24   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Unicorn is a dependable choice - you will never go wrong with a Unicorn, but if I am picking up a 150 CC from Honda's stable now, I will go for Trigger
You almost read my mind, Anoop. I was just going through some pages for the Trigger, and albeit not so popular amongst the masses, I actually liked this one and will definitely give it a TD this weekend. In the meantime, I see that the Web site is up and running, so will enquire with Bajaj for D150 as well. Would you suggest going for D150 in place of Unicorn, if available that is?
Old 5th June 2014, 18:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You almost read my mind, Anoop. I was just going through some pages for the Trigger, and albeit not so popular amongst the masses, I actually liked this one and will definitely give it a TD this weekend. In the meantime, I see that the Web site is up and running, so will enquire with Bajaj for D150 as well. Would you suggest going for D150 in place of Unicorn, if available that is?
Personally, was never a fan of discover - had one of the earliest 125 DTSi model for some time and the bike was not much of a handler and the engine and gear box where not comparable to Unicorn in smoothness. The bike used to cry when pushed and did never inspire enough confidence in corners.

I would prefer a Unicorn over Discover any day.

--Anoop
Old 5th June 2014, 19:26   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

I plan to keep this bike for the long-term. My daily use is around 40 KM in Bangalore traffic
My two cents!

If you are comfortable with the tacky plastics and lesser resale value (relative to Unicorn), go for Trigger with optional rear disc brakes, they are any day better than conventional drum setup.

Unicorn has better quality switchgear, higher resale but lesser effective drum brakes. Also, that plastic dome upfront is more prone to rattle.

P.S. I myself ride a 2006 Unicorn and it still has butter smooth gear shifts.

Abhishek
Old 6th June 2014, 11:19   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
I myself ride a 2006 Unicorn
Hey Abhi, now that you have been using the Uni since 2006, would be great if you can share the FE that it is offering you and also I heard that the spare parts for the Hondas as relatively on the higher side, but firstly, would we even be required to replace any spares, being a Honda?
Old 6th June 2014, 13:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Abhi, now that you have been using the Uni since 2006, would be great if you can share the FE that it is offering you and also I heard that the spare parts for the Hondas as relatively on the higher side, but firstly, would we even be required to replace any spares, being a Honda?
Hi!

I had a unicorn from 2008 to 2013 and rode it for about 60,000 kms. Butter smooth gearshifts, super smooth engine and excellent switch parts. I changed the clutch plates once at around 55k mark and a new set of tyres around the same time, changed the sparkplug every 15k kms and that is all the changes I have made on the bike. With smooth riding habits, the bike will just keep going till about 1.5 lakh kms, perhaps even more too. Parts are expensive, but u will not need much changing too. I used to get a comfortable 53kmpl consistently over the entire period of ownership.

Unicorn is a very reliable ride and you won't go much wrong with it unless you r looking for features or thrash it around.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 6th June 2014 at 13:09.
prajwalkashyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a soft corner for Yamaha bikes, but am also considering one from the Honda stable.
My choice would be Yamaha FZS, second option Honda Unicorn...
Old 6th June 2014, 23:11   #102
BHPian

off topic: Thank god the weekend is here. I put up my bike for sale and didn't expect it to get sold in a day. I took it to the office in the morning on Thursday and had to come back home by bus. Today was a different experience traveling by bus to-and-fro office.

Thanks guys, thank you for all your advise. I plan to go to the Honda showroom tomorrow. I, in fact, went to Dhruvdesh Honda to check out, but they were closed. Will go in the morning and take a TD.

Does anybody have any idea about the finance options that Honda has to offer on Unicorn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
My choice would be Yamaha FZS, second option Honda Unicorn...
I too like the F-series from Yamaha, but my only concern is that it would be difficult to accommodate my family for occasional outings. How about Yamaha YBR 125. I know it is a different segment altogether, but a colleague of mine seemed pretty happy owning it. Please advise.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:03. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 7th June 2014, 06:57   #103
BHPian

Suzuki GS150R is a good option. I've heard about many riders taking it up all the way to Leh. You might want to test ride the Fazer, the new CBZ Extreme or the Unicorn as well.
Old 7th June 2014, 13:40   #104
BHPian

Hi HorsPwr,

Quote:
would be great if you can share the FE that it is offering you
I have clocked just 21000 kilometers in these 8 years. I have not calculated fuel efficiency since a long time, but it must be in range of 40-45 km. It used to give 50+ in the first 2-3 years.
Quote:
I heard that the spare parts for the Hondas as relatively on the higher side, but firstly, would we even be required to replace any spares, being a Honda?
The only things that have been changed till date are battery and relay. I always ensure that the bike is serviced every six months irrespective of the number of kilometers clocked. Lately chain is making some weird noises and the sprocket needs to be changed. The spare parts prices must be in line with Yamaha and Hero.
abhipuri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 16:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
The spare parts prices must be in line with Yamaha and Hero.
Woff!! Test rode the P15, Unicorn, and GS150R, but also had a look at Yamaha SZ-S.

Here are my observations
1. Unicorn: Stable, adequate power, smooth, refined, sober - contender
2. P15: Stylish, rough, noisy, out-of-fashion - ruled out
3. GS150R: Powerful, stylish, pricy, limited color options - contender
4. Yamaha SZ-S: Stylish, unknown to me - undecided

I dont want to look any further.

Guys, I need to book it by tomorrow. Please help me make a decision.

Last edited by HorsPwr : 7th June 2014 at 16:17.

Most Viewed