Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 17:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Biking in this extremely hot Summer?

Given that my daughter's school is closed I am giving a rest to my car and riding my Bullet some 30 km daily to and from morning walks and office. Last Sunday went on a 70 km ride during the day. At 40+ it's hot but bearable if the adrenaline is flowing.
Full sleeves are better than T-shirts. Lots of water, tea and fruits.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

It was uncharacteristically hot in Bangalore also this year and have somehow managed these months. But I dread the rains more than the hot weather! Cause I hate getting wet. Moreover, the rain gods test my patience by making it rain only when I am leaving to or leaving from office! Yes, I like to think that only I suffer such an ordeal!

Anyways, with the monsoons just round the corner, I have got a nice rain cover for my office laptop so that I can ride on even if it rains. And a raincoat to take care of me. Someone suggested a pair of shoes for office. Sounds like I will do that this time.

And guys, I don't get a good pair of rain pants - the cheap kind. Any ideas?
Old 6th June 2012, 10:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And guys, I don't get a good pair of rain pants - the cheap kind. Any ideas?
Hello Naveen,

Yes, the rain suits are quite costly & in Mumbai we get then around Rs. 800 + for both jacket & trouser.

Luckly I got one Rain suit from a local shop in Malad West (Mumbai) for Rs. 300, yes just Rs. 300 & it did lasted entire season of four months. You know Mumbai rains & not a single time water leaked inside.

Thanks,
Old 6th June 2012, 11:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well its crossing 45 degrees here and sitting on the bike during the day is like standing next to a borne fire. So i either ride early mornings around 5 or later at night after 11. Less traffic and slightly conducive biking weather. I avoid riding in the rains completely.Frankly , the riding season is all but over for the next few months for me.
Old 6th June 2012, 12:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Naveen,

Yes, the rain suits are quite costly & in Mumbai we get then around Rs. 800 + for both jacket & trouser.

Luckly I got one Rain suit from a local shop in Malad West (Mumbai) for Rs. 300, yes just Rs. 300 & it did lasted entire season of four months. You know Mumbai rains & not a single time water leaked inside.

Thanks,
Should go shopping this weekend for a nice set of rain pants. Problem is all the ones I have seen are too shortish or are not comfortable!
Old 6th June 2012, 12:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Red Bull & other energy drinks like Gatorade are good

There is a lot of difference between a sports drink like Gatorade and an Energy Drink like Red Bull.

Energy Drinks Vs. Sports Drinks

What Is The Difference Between Power Drinks & Sports Drinks? | LIVESTRONG.COM
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 12:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
There is a lot of difference between a sports drink like Gatorade and an Energy Drink like Red Bull.

Energy Drinks Vs. Sports Drinks

What Is The Difference Between Power Drinks & Sports Drinks? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Red Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know the difference, like I said it was just what I prefer, I don't expect anyone else to blindly follow what I prefer or suits me. BTW, I have also mentioned ORS, so don't get into a different tangent of debate.
Old 6th June 2012, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Just did a 2000km ride from BOM to BLR and back on my bike in this heat wearing a DSG Nero and Rjays pants for over 17 hours each way The thing is, whatever be the the weather, I won't skip wearing my riding gear. Relatives & friends called me nuts for wearing the complete riding gear in such heat but it's better to ignore such stupid comments than make them realize why I wear it. Now about the weather, I prefer riding in 40 degrees than riding in rains. Simply detest it. If you love biking, a small change in the weather shouldn't hamper your ride!
Old 6th June 2012, 12:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tender coconut water is a very good substitute for body fluids. I had read somewhere it has almost the same salinity as the body fluids hence it replaces not only water but also the salts. More like a naturally ocurring ORS. Drinking water will replace only the fluids not the salts. During extreme heat it is very important to replenish body salts too.

I m a marine engineer and during equator crossing or red sea transit etc. the temperature in the engine room of a ship exceeds 45 degrees, certain areas in the engine room exceed even 60 degrees. We always have pouches of ORS like products to keep on replenishing the body salt levels.

Similarly in 40 plus temperatures of North during the summer its very important to keep on replenishing not only the fluids but also the salts. Take ORS or Tender coconut water. Ofcourse there are other benefits of taking tender coconut too.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 15:06   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Biking in this extremely hot Summer?

How I manage with the Jeep : Leave early in the morning for off-roading and come back by noon or lunch time. Joy rides are primarily in the evening, starting at 1800 hours.

Love for driving & riding aside, I find it waaaaaaaay too hot for enjoyable motoring.

Plenty of cold water & avoiding heavy food greatly help too.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:46   #26
BHPian

We don't have it as hot as Delhi, Hyd or Nagpur here in Blore, but it is hot enough to bake anyone riding a two wheeler during the day.

But despite that, there is a breed of bikers seen in the city, wearing light cotton jackets or windcheaters, gloves, helmets and shoes whilst on the bike.

I bake in the heat with the jacket on (gloves are standard wear, irrespective of the weather or vehicle ridden) but then I do know that if I were to have a fall due to another uneducated road user, it would be as bad as without a jacket.

So a light summer jacket (cotton) is the best. BTW, it also prevents unnecessary tanning and burning of exposed skin.
Old 7th June 2012, 17:37   #27
BHPian

Whenever I have an "Itch to ride" I scratch it by going out either early morning or late at night for short 50 kms rides.................it is the only remedy till the climate becomes more friendly. By the way, I hate monsoon even more than 45 degree heat, except for going out on our annual ride to see a waterfall that forms only during monsoon at Damoh, Rajasthan !!
Old 7th June 2012, 18:17   #28
BHPian

The rains are finally here!! I managed 1300km from Pune to Bangalore through three days of pouring rain and pathetic roads, and I will most certainly do it again this time! Not a single issue with the Roadking whatsoever! I would say the rain is kinder to the engine and rider than scorching heat. You just gotta love the rain!!!!
voodoochild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

As most have already mentioned, biking has no terms or conditions. Feel it, do it!
I actually like riding in the rains as it's more of a 'test' than the heat. Where you cannot afford to take it easy at all. But then again, here in Bangalore, though this year was uncharacteristically high, it wasn't anything close to the temperatures up north.
Old 8th June 2012, 00:16   #30
BHPian

I take care of following things,

1. Leave as early as possible. Try not to be within city limits when sun is shining right above your head.
My observation, outside city limits, heat does not matter much. May be because traffic is less
2. I always make sure I am hydrated. Bought water bladder from Decathlon (you get similar ones outside also). Coconut water is best substitute.
3. Wear full riding gear (it is irrespective is climate). With either goggles or tinted helmet visor.
If riding within city limits, windcheater + gloves + Helmet + shoes
4. Check for tyre pressure.
4. Try not to stretch for extra mile.
5. Always park bike in shades.

Water bladder..
[Image source: http://my.opera.com/chaitanyak/blog/...chua-backpack]
Attached Thumbnails
Biking in this extremely hot Summer?-gdasset_14956263.jpg  

Biking in this extremely hot Summer?-bag103800x800.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 8th June 2012 at 00:18. Reason: Adding image source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks