Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:59   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand

singhsid

I don't think those who thanked iron.head were being PC.

In thanking him they were acknowledging the fact that most people are reluctant to tell the rest of the world about their poor decisions. He was not.

iron.head swallowed his pride and, in the interest of preventing others from making the same mistake that he had made, told the entire world about the foolishness, the danger and the potential consequences of his act. A commendable thing to do in my opinion.

I can easily imagine someone new to maintaining their own motorcycle doing exactly what iron.head did without realizing the risks.
Hopefully before they do such a foolish thing they will read this topic and save themselves from a life of grief. If they do, his message will prove to be worth its weight in gold.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd June 2012 at 09:11. Reason: only 2 smileys per post. extra ones deleted.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand

I agree with the above. Bike maintenance is no rocket science but then getting injured is so easy as seen in this thread.

Initially when i saw this thread i thought it's a one off incident. But after iron.head mentioned that the hospital used to frequently attend to such cases and in addition, members here also have posted similar experiences, it surprised me too. Most people take risks in their day to day lives, some as simple as crossing the road while engaged in a conversation on their cell phones. How many of these think that they could get knocked down one day? They know it can happen but it's the classic case of it can't happen to my syndrome.

This thread is serving its very purpose - educating fellow riders and bike owners. And hats off to iron.head and the others for sharing their traumatic experiences.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:39   #63
BHPian

Iron Head, an unfortunate event, painful too. Don't let this slow or stop your passion for Biking... Get well soon

Ashpalio
ashpalio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Really unfortunate accident Iron Head. Wish you speedy recover back to normal. All is well that ends well and as long as we learn our lessons from it.

There are so many things we do in our daily lives which have a potential to turn into an accident if gone wrong esp on the road. Heres to wishing everyone safe driving on TBHP.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:43   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

I don't think those who thanked iron.head were being PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I agree with the above. Bike maintenance is no rocket science but then getting injured is so easy as seen in this thread.
Thank you so much ArizonaJim and n_aditya and everyone else for your good wishes! I am feeling so cool now for having shared this experience!

Went to see the doc today and was told that my plaster will be removed after 15-20 days and I can start riding a week after it is removed!
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Went to see the doc today and was told that my plaster will be removed after 15-20 days and I can start riding a week after it is removed!
That is some good news and you are speaking like a true rider, and feel good to know you are in good spirits about riding again. All the best!
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:41   #67
BHPian

Same thing happened to my cousin. 3 of his fingers got chopped off and the cost of the surgery cost more than the cost of the bike he was cleaning. I think its better to use a long nozzled dispenser to drip diesel or kerosene on the chain and use a toothbrush to clean it rather than using your bare hands and cloth. This was you can save your hands from the ugly grease stain too.
Vikhyath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:48   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Brilliant news. Good luck

And thanks for sharing your experience.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 05:35   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Vikhyath:

Using a tooth brush is a good idea but I strongly suggest that anyone wishing to do this needs to buy a dedicated tooth brush.

I've found that a wife will take a very dim view of their husband when he uses her tooth brush to clean his chain and then returns it to where he found it.

The knots on the top of his head can take quite a while to heal and sleeping out in the back yard for a month isn't pleasant either.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 09:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

In all honesty, this thread probably exists due to laziness. I know one might not think of the consequences of using a running bike to "help" with the process, but it does reflect on the direction society - especially urban society - has taken recently. Good that we are passionate enough to clean and service our bikes ourselves, but why not do it the regular way rather than taking short cuts.

No of fence meant, I'm guilty of general laziness too, but it came to my mind when a colleague wanted me to drop them literally 200m down the road to his house. Reminds me of the example my Dad always gives, that in his day he used to cycle 32kms each way to his office and back, 6 days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim
I've found that a wife will take a very dim view of their husband...
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 10:39   #71
BHPian

One of my friend has this one. He got it from US. Not sure if we get similar in India. Planning to get one for me.

Similar thread here. [There are some pictures in inner thread, not for faint heart's]
Don't be this guy - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum
Attached Thumbnails
DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand!-grungebrush.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 19:24   #72
BHPian

OMG same thing happened to my friend too. That was a couple of months back. He had a crush injury.

Get well soon
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 19:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

This is really a big mistake which many people are doing, few months back one of my friend told me that his uncle had similar injuries, i was very surprised that this can happen. but here in this thread i can see so many people doing the same mistake. Maybe even i would have also done this mistake in ignorance someday so Thanks for sharing buddy and get well soon

I think there should be a caution sticker on the bike swingarm in bold letters.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 25th June 2012 at 19:40.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 21:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
I think there should be a caution sticker on the bike swingarm in bold letters.
Honestly, that would be similar to having a caution for hot contents on an espresso cup, or "do not iron clothes while wearing" warning that comes with an iron. It is sad when such accidents happen, but expecting the manufacturer to take responsibility for this is not practical. Most of them urge us to have the vehicle serviced at an A.S.S; who knows if this is one of the reasons. The service personnel would have been cautioned on unsafe practices and they also have the right tools to carry out such tasks safely.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 22:28   #75
Team-BHP Support

Ouch ! That's bad! Hope you are recovering well.

But why in gear? Just put in neutraland turn, use a paint brush dipped in kerosene, is the best and cheap way to clean those stubborn grime off. Just let it dry after cleanup and lubricate with oill. That's what i used to do.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks