Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 21:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyosung GT250R: Big Boy Launched @ 2.75 Lakh

So clearly the general consensus here is that the bike has been priced higher than what people expected. Understandable.

What i do NOT understand, is why on earth they would launch this bike, announce the pricing, and then mention that once the localization starts, it will be on sale for almost half.

Why on earth would they do that? Sure, maybe they think they are locking in interested customers into an 18-month wait to buy their product (i have my doubts about that promised time-frame anyway). I really can't see any advantage other than this, and perhaps a few sales to guys who want that super-bike look for this kind of 250 cc money.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 22:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its a fools strategy if they are thinking that ppl will wait till it get localized . Does it look anything international now ? .

Triumph is digging their grave already , now these ppl . They have to under promise and over deliver .

Just look at KTM ,ppl were willing to even pay 1.5 lakh for the bike , at 1.18 ex showroom ,it killed the game ,forget the competition .

Last edited by black12rr : 13th June 2012 at 22:36.
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 22:39   #18
BHPian

More than the build quality, brand name or whatever valid reasons people on this forum have come up with, I believe, the reason why I'd never buy one is because of the fear of stones being pelted at me by the public, every time I'll take it out for a ride!

First, it's a 250cc. For a layman there's a Honda at the nearly half the price.

Second, it's a 250cc, again. For a well-informed enthusiast, it's competing against the Ninja250R, which can be termed as the best 250cc in the world! Legendary brand, better quality, better customer services and better everything.

You would have to be really high on some drug to take that bike home for that price!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 23:39   #19
BHPian

Garware did the right thing by opting out of this venture
It will be really interesting to see who all will this bike and why!
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 00:10   #20
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The bike looks good from a distance, but the build quality seems to be bad. Just look at the second picture in post #2. The key socket in the new bike is already wide open. So much for quality.

Then the price tag, what on earth were these guys thinking while putting up a strategy. Pitching the bike against Ninja was one, but pricing it higher than the leader is a big mistake. Why would any sane person pay more than a Ninja for this bike?

It would have worked if they kept the shell and plonked a 150 cc engine and pitched it against the FZs, the Pulsars and the sorts. But going after the low volume Niche segment with such a strategy is not acceptable.

Last edited by MAS : 14th June 2012 at 00:12.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dhoom bike

I thought the Kawasaki250 was overpriced but this one makes it look like a bargain.

Having said that, this bike will appeal to people who want the big bike look and feel for just 3 lakhs. It may not have the performance, but looks bulky and brutish since its based on the 650 frame.

Pricing is quite ambitious although some of it is probably a reflection of its import content. Gotta agree with Rehaan, announcing a future price drop is foolhardy and suicidal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Comet stickering. (Nowhere will you see the GT250R nomenclature)
Attachment 940482

One of the best features on the GT250R - The soft seats.
Attachment 940492
That's probably a good strategy because the owners probably want to hide the fact that its 'only' a 250.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The bike looks good from a distance, but the build quality seems to be bad. Just look at the second picture in post #2. The key socket in the new bike is already wide open. So much for quality.

Then the price tag, what on earth were these guys thinking while putting up a strategy. Pitching the bike against Ninja was one, but pricing it higher than the leader is a big mistake. Why would any sane person pay more than a Ninja for this bike?

It would have worked if they kept the shell and plonked a 150 cc engine and pitched it against the FZs, the Pulsars and the sorts. But going after the low volume Niche segment with such a strategy is not acceptable.
I am not surprised. Even the erstwhile Comet had horrible build even when compared to average Indian bikes. Why would anyone in his right mind would forgo CBR250 and buy this?
Old 14th June 2012, 10:29   #23
BHPian

Ya Right! Who will buy the bike now once you declare this bike will be available at half of the cost that it is selling now after a year ? Wonder who is their business advisor

Waiting for Aquila 250 launch. Something for cruiser lovers to drool on...
Old 14th June 2012, 10:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

What baffles me is that DSK mentions localization 18 months later and that it will result in price reduction by almost 50%.

Wouldn't that scare away potential customers now? Imagine buying this (just imagine.. ) for 3L odd and a couple of years later you get peanuts for it if you want to sell it.

And then the pricing is wrong. Yes, the 250cc hyosung has dual projector headlights, digital speedo, USD forks, twin front disc brakes, etc. but its a LOT heavier than the ninja and lower powered too. So I really wonder who would go out and buy it unless they want a big looking bike. IMHO, its all show and no go. I can safely say that those who were in the market for this would probably wait it out for something more affordable or would go for the ninja.

To me, personally, the red/black combo looks better than the red/white one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Just look at the second picture in post #2. The key socket in the new bike is already wide open. So much for quality.
That's a good observation. For a brand new bike, it's unacceptable. But maybe this is the test mule.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th June 2012 at 10:47.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:08   #25
BHPian

Wonder who decides the pricing for hyosung (looks like a kawasaki employee)... With Hyosung 650R they had no choice as Ninja declared their pricing for 650R later, but what about this bike? Why intentionally put it above Ninja250R? If OTR pricing was closer to 2.25 / 2.5 mark people would have taken it instead of a Ninja. To me 2.25 looks like the right price for this bike. Just my opinion though.

p.s. If the manufacturer tells me that the prices would come down by 40-50% after localization... I would rather wait then put > 3L of my hard earned money on this ride.
p.p.s If Ninja is cheaper (which is after this pricing) I will definitely go for a trusted product with better A.S.S. than trust Hyosung.
p.p.p.s. For most of us money matters (for those getting this as gift from DAD the bike is always VFM)
Old 14th June 2012, 12:30   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Triumph is digging their grave already , now these ppl .
Didn't get you mate, as per my calculations if Triumph launches their bikes in the range of what they showcased during Delhi auto show, sure they will have the buyers.
Triple cylinder 675 cc street fighter which is capable of kicking Jap 600 cc SBK's till 200 KMPH is sure a winner at 5.75 L ex showroom price, same goes with their other bikes which they are targetting for India.
Hyosung is sure not my piece of cake at any cost, even if i ever buy 250 cc i'll go with Honda or Kawasaki.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I don't know if its the pictures but bike looks kinda cheap. Isn't a brand new bike supposed to be all shining particularly at the launch.
Parrys had mentioned to me that these were actually the test-ride bikes on display at the launch.

This would account for some dirt and wear and tear, but probably not the other build issues some people are noticing.

cya
R
Old 14th June 2012, 14:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Parrys had mentioned to me that these were actually the test-ride bikes on display at the launch.
Test ride bikes for launch? Do all manufacturers do this? I remember falling in love with the R15 at the launch itself.
Old 14th June 2012, 15:42   #29
BHPian

Would have been a drool statement if launched some 10 years back!! Just look at the new Pulsar (200 NS), screams detailing almost everywhere and just by the looks of it, feels well put together! For some strange reason, this bike looks tacky and there isn't any fluidity in the design. Wears more of a 'I am a sports bike too' kind of a attitude.. and that's too bad.

If the Koreans can establish their engineering prowess in the field of electronics and car manufacturing (read that as Samsung and Hyundai respectively), why is it a challenge to do something similar in the two wheeler segment for Hyosung, after all its India and its here few companies have proved their worth to the rest of the world!
Old 14th June 2012, 15:54   #30
BHPian

The product is good and well suited to our country. The V-Twin should be fun to ride.

The price is wrong though, I think by atleast 25K.
I doubt though that they would be able to sustain a price cut above that.

We perceive Hyosung as cheap and inferior to Kawasaki but that doesnt mean they can manufacture at half the price. So price had to be above 2L, only shock being that its 25-35K more than expected (They need to maintain a difference of 50K with the Ninja).

As mentioned earlier the localization news will help in reducing the numbers even further.

The bike will sell in small numbers, from what I have read online the bike is a decent handler and has a riding position different from the Ninja. A nice looking bike with decent performance.

All the best Hyosung (I so so hope that they revise the price after overwhelming feedback on all biking forums.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks