Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2006, 14:24   #1
BHPian

Fuel Tank Rusting and Leaking in my Fiero F2

It hapenned yesterday

I was shocked to see that the Petrol Tank of my just 2 years old Fiero F2 is leaking petrol . I had filled up 4 ltrs of petrol just some hours back back and in no time the tank became empty before my eyes. I managed to take it quickly to a local garage nearby and they managed to save only half a litre of petrol . I asked them to fix the problem temporarily so that I could take it to TVS Service Station.

Worst thing is when they were putting the Sealant (M-Seal) in the leakage area, from inside as well as outside the tank, the found the entire tank is corroded by rusting of inside wall. And one can easily poke through the rusted wall to create a hole. I still wonder how it could happen so fast ?? And whom should I blame ??

I really dont know how it hapenned, that too my vehicle is relatively new and well maintained. When I enquired with the service Engineer from TVS they told that the tank replacement would cost me Rs.3200/- and that would not be covered under insurance since I this is not due to any accident. I am really shocked with this kind of bad thing hapenning to my bike (which is still new, had bought it on 2004 Jan).

Note From Moderator - TBHP Policy allows only 2 smileys per post. Please read THIS immediately.

Last edited by v12 : 12th April 2006 at 13:03.
Old 11th April 2006, 18:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Blame it on TVS guys who makes the bike. No one else. What you could have done?? (No point in telling it now, still heres the solution)

Add a little 2T oil in the tank along with petrol. Say about 20ml for 3-4 litres. It will give a oil covering the tank inners preventing rust for some time. This is no permanent solution. 4stroke bike tanks are detined to rust because no oil is added in the tank like 2 stroke bikes(eben if you have a oil pump)
Old 11th April 2006, 19:07   #3
BHPian

Hey Saurav

Do u wash your bike everyday.Cause this same thing happened with a friend of mine who owned victor.
I still wonder thou, is it the TVS problem ?
Old 11th April 2006, 22:53   #4
BHPian

Bad luck dude....

and I am sure the TVS guys must have been just as ill-considerate as usual to you?
Old 12th April 2006, 09:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravbasu
I managed to take it quickly to a local garage nearby and they managed to save only half a litre of petrol .
Hey Souravbasu,

How full do you keep your tank on average?
If you are one of those people who uses is sparingly till the last drop and then re-fills, think again.
By keeping the tank full will fuel, you are helping prevent rust.

I'm not sure how bad the condition of your tank is (sounds REALLY bad from your description of poking though with your finger), but there is this expoxy that they use for marine applications that you can coat the inside of your tank with. You might want to consider that. Ask your local mechanic, he will probably know.

cya
R
Old 12th April 2006, 11:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It hapenned yesterday !!

I was shocked to see that the Petrol Tank of my just 2 years old Fiero F2 is leaking petrol <Snip> <Snip> <Snip>

Note From Moderator - TBHP Policy allows only 2 smileys per post. Please read THIS immediately.
Haa haaa haaaa... your post is surfiet with smilies!!! It looks like a toon march mannnn... poor you... hey rehan can't the poor guy be given some leeway this time around. He is in a shock what with the condition of his almost new bike! Those smilies (or rather weepies, frustries etc as my wife calls them) are only giving vent to his feelings, I guess. Sourav, so many smilies make the post difficult to read.

Sourav, Rehan has given you the right reasons though for the happening. Remember, if you fill up the tank occassionaly and then the fuel level drops down and stays that way for a long time then you got this problem coming. Never fill more than you use up say in every one week. Earlier I used to fill upto 4 liters in a week... Nowadays since I primarily drive the car I never fill more than what I need... I just consume that much up in a day or two and then again the bike is back in reserve and keeps waiting for the next week end when I again run her around for local errands.

By the way yours is a typical problem that many TVS owners have complained about in the past. I am aware of two similar cases. I think unlike other manufacturers they do not treat the tanks with anti-rust coats.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th April 2006 at 11:57.
Old 12th April 2006, 11:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
My apology for this. Would take care in future !!

Just an update:

I spoke to the senior engineer in TVS Service Station, and he told this would have hapenned if you use Power Petrol (very high octane) petrol in your TVS bikes. That would definitely corrode the petrol tank and cause the rust. The corrossion is also possible due to the bad quality of petrol from fraudulent petrol pumps.

Also the engineer is giving me a 10% discount on the petrol tank and no labour charges. So now I would have to pay Rs2750/- instead of Rs3200/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Add a little 2T oil in the tank along with petrol. Say about 20ml for 3-4 litres. It will give a oil covering the tank inners preventing rust for some time. This is no permanent solution. 4stroke bike tanks are detined to rust because no oil is added in the tank like 2 stroke bikes(eben if you have a oil pump)
Thanks ! I will consider this until I change the fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilled_fire
Hey Saurav
Do u wash your bike everyday.Cause this same thing happened with a friend of mine who owned victor.
I still wonder thou, is it the TVS problem ?
I do wash my vehicle every alternate days. But how will it cause any damage to petrol tank ? Other parts are just fine and only the tank's inside is rusted.

Also cant blame on TVS, because my friends are using it without any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Souravbasu,
How full do you keep your tank on average?
If you are one of those people who uses is sparingly till the last drop and then re-fills, think again.
By keeping the tank full will fuel, you are helping prevent rust.
Thanks Rehaan for the suggestion of epoxy sealant...will try it out.

I usually keep the fuel above the reserve and fill up whenever it goes to the reserve. I usually refill for Rs100-200 max. I never fill up the tank to full as I dont travel a long distance; Also considering the fact that the octane value of petrol decreases due to prolong storage.

Last edited by souravbasu : 12th April 2006 at 11:59.
Old 12th April 2006, 12:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I never fill more than what I need... I just consume that much up in a day or two and then again the bike is back in reserve
Yikes Zappo,

Thats actually the opposite of what i was suggesting!!
I was suggesting to keep it FULL as much as possible, as that would (IMO) prevent rust!

Quote:
if you use Power Petrol (very high octane) petrol in your TVS bikes. That would definitely corrode the petrol tank and cause the rust. The corrossion is also possible due to the bad quality of petrol from fraudulent petrol pumps.
High octane petrol causing rust??? ive never heard that one before...?

cya
R
Old 12th April 2006, 12:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:

I do wash my vehicle every alternate days. But how will it cause any damage to petrol tank ? Other parts are just fine and only the tank's inside is rusted.

Also cant blame on TVS, because my friends are using it without any problem.

Hey man if u wash ur bike very often then some water gets inside through the petrol inlet and since there is a gap between the outer tank and the main inner tank water stays there for longer time ...
Anyways now since the damage is already done .......
A suggestion , before changing the tank from the TVS service guys try asking some garage wallas also, (those u know very well) cause showroom guys allways charge more (the tank cost+the fitting cost).
Old 12th April 2006, 13:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

Sourav, Rehan has given you the right reasons though for the happening. Remember, if you fill up the tank occassionaly and then the fuel level drops down and stays that way for a long time then you got this problem coming. Never fill more than you use up say in every one week. Earlier I used to fill upto 4 liters in a week... Nowadays since I primarily drive the car I never fill more than what I need... I just consume that much up in a day or two and then again the bike is back in reserve and keeps waiting for the next week end when I again run her around for local errands.
Hey Zappo !!

Dude u got it wrong than what Rehan is saying...
Anyways, I havent heard ,petrol causing rust...
Can you please explain how and why ?
Old 12th April 2006, 13:12   #11
BHPian

Rusting of fuel tanks is quite common with TVS Bikes. My Shogun's fuel tank was replaced FOUR times under warranty by TVS. TVS engineer had suggested me to put about 50 ml 2T oil for a full tank of petrol on a regular basis to avoid the rust. So, the last replacement did not suffer from the Rust malice for a long time. But, now the tank has rusted through and through since it is used sparingly. Guess the anti-rust coating should do the trick. Sad that TVS has still not found the solution for this problem.

-HARSHAVARDHAN
Old 14th April 2006, 16:18   #12
BHPian

Now I am confused :( !!

Which one from the following option is the recommended to prevent rust in fuel tank ??
Option 1: Always fill the tank to the full.
Option 2: Fill the tank with how much ever it is required.

Please help !!
Old 14th April 2006, 19:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now I am confused :( !!

Which one from the following option is the recommended to prevent rust in fuel tank ??
Simple! Listen to me

Keep the tank FULL

Heres a nice explaination, though some of the stuff mentioned (fuel pump) applies only to cars.

And just to clear your doubts, it's also mentioned here, and this site says Gasoline also contains chemicals such as lubricants, anti-rust agents and anti-icing agents that are added to improve car performance.

So basically its the moisture that evaporates from the petrol that causes rust, and it is given more of a chance to evaporate the more empty space(air) there is in your tank. And something tells me that Indian fuel will have more moisture than most other fuels due to adulteration!

cya
R
Old 14th April 2006, 22:18   #14
BHPian

Thanks !! Now I know what to do FILL IT TO FULL.

I am planning to start a new thread (under "Technical Stuff" Forum) on this so spread the same awareness to others. And also to know others habbits and best practises for refueling their fuel tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Simple! Listen to me
Keep the tank FULL
Heres a nice explaination, though some of the stuff mentioned (fuel pump) applies only to cars.

And just to clear your doubts, it's also mentioned here, and this site says Gasoline also contains chemicals such as lubricants, anti-rust agents and anti-icing agents that are added to improve car performance.

So basically its the moisture that evaporates from the petrol that causes rust, and it is given more of a chance to evaporate the more empty space(air) there is in your tank. And something tells me that Indian fuel will have more moisture than most other fuels due to adulteration!
cya
R
Old 21st April 2006, 11:07   #15
BHPian

Update : Got a free replacement of Oil Tank from TVS

Hi All,

I got a free replacement of the fuel tank (absolutely zero expense). The senior engineer in TVS Service centre had helped me a lot and he only suggested me write a request letter to the company asking for free replacement.

After two days I got the replacement. I guess this was made because of their goodwill.

I also came to know that we should fill the fuel tank only upto 75% and not to 100%. There should be some space for the air to expand otherwise the vaccuum in the tank may result inadequate supply of petrol to the engine.

I was also adviced to use "Iftech cleaning oil" (additive). Each pouch of such oil costs Rs4/- and to be added to 2.5ltrs of petrol. I have added 2 souch pouch to 5 ltrs and since two days I am feeling vehicle much smoother.

Cheers!
SOURAV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks