Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 23:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion

My love for Italian Vespas was inspired by my dad way back in 70s when we owned a Vespa 150 and i used to stand infront of the scooter during a family ride.Little did i know my passion would rage into a flame that never burnt out and for the last 30 years Vespa has been part of my life.
My own Vespa came into my life in 1989 when i acquired an LML Vespa NV for Rs.14,450..unbelievable price.Today I clocked over 1,20,000 kms on my LML Vespa and still rides strong in my fleet.

My encounter with contemporary Vespa came into light during my frequent visits to Europe,where Vespas are a rage and just whizz past you in a flash.The Vespa stores always attracted me to collect a huge memorabilia and keep my passion alive.

Since 2006 I started collecting more and more Vespa and today my fleet of Vespa include 1962 & 1969 Vespa 150,Entire range of LML Vespas that were made in India and Vespa PL 170 & PVX.

2012..The Saga of new Vespa dawns into India
Almost it was certain that I had to acquire the 2012 Vespa LX 125 with out any delay and come end of April,a swanky Vespa outlet opened in Jubilee Hills.My whole family visited and decided on a Yellow colour and immediatly I booked an LX 125 at Smart Vespa in Jubilee Hills.

The wait...I was promised the delivery of my LX 125 towards the end of May 2012 and as days passed by,I was restless as I wanted to own the first lot Vespa LX 125 in India as they were totally imported kits assembled in India.Frequent trips to the Smart Vesa showroom only made me acquaint with the efficient staff,who posted me the latest status of the delivery of my Vespa.

The Rencontre..Finally on 13th June I was destined to meet my new dream and it was euphoric moment when Mr.Ratin Mehta the director of Smart Vespa handed over the keys of our LX 125 to my 6 year old son,Vijay.Both the Father and Son rejoiced looking at the Italian Wasp in its latest avatar.
We rode home safely and parked the new member of my fleet in the garage much to the amazement of its older siblings.

My Son takes delivery of the Vespa LX 125
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-2.jpg
Father and Son with their new acquisition
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-3.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-4.jpg

Last edited by hillram : 18th June 2012 at 11:30.
hillram is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion

Now its time to start the ownership account as it has been more than 48 hours since the LX 125 has come home and today the Vespa went for a spin the city.

Technical Specifications...Italian Fanfare
The 2012 Vespa LX 125 is powered by a 125cc Piaggio engine with the below specifications:
Type : Single Cylinder 4 Stroke,Air Cooled,SOHC,3 Valves
Transmission : Auto Expendable-CVT with forced circulation air cooling
Carburettor : Keihin
Fuel : Unleaded Petrol
Starting System : Kick Starter / Electric Starter
Ignition System : CDI Unit with variable advance and HV Coil
Spark Plug : Bosch UR3DC
Battery Type :12V, 5.0 Ah Lead Battery
Generator : Fly Wheel Magnetio, 12V
Tyre Size : Tube type 90/100-1053J (Front & Rear)
Tyre Rims : 3-Spoke Alloys
Kerb Weight : 114 Kg

What will attract you :
  • Italian Design and 98% of parts & components imported and assembled in India.
  • Retro looks with a contemporary touch & Unisex appeal.
  • Smooth Curvaceous lines.
  • Piaggio and Vespa Monograms splased everywhere-Body Frame,Engine cover,Hand Grips,Front suspension,Floor Mat & Instrument Cluster
  • Chrome Muffler,Chrome Mirrors and Chrome Side Grab Bar.
  • Tacky Speedo Meter
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Retro looking Clear Lens Headlamp and Tail Lamp
  • Push-to-cancel indicators
  • Quick Pick up
  • Eye Catchy Colours esp.White,Yellow and Red
  • Superior Paint Quality
  • Large Petrol Tank Capacity - 8 Litres
  • Efficient Braking and Soft Suspension
  • Powerful Halogen Headlight
  • Digital Clock embedded into Instrumentation Cluster
  • Oil Dip Stick
  • Rider Friendly Position
  • Wide Seat in Art Leather
Whay may deter you :
  • Cumbersome Kick rod position
  • Inadequate Boot space - Just to fit a helmet
  • Tiny glove compartment
  • Cold Start complications
  • Centre Stand accessibility
  • Lack of Spare Tyre
  • High Cost accessories - Floor Mat,Body Cover,Helmet etc.
  • Finally - On road Price !!!
Inspite of the above constraints,I was never deterent even a second to acquire the 2012 Vespa because of its stellar looks and quick acceleration.

Vespa LX 125 gives room for various modifications from looks and utility point of view :
- Front Wind Shield
- Rear Steel carrier
- Mudguard and Side Guards
- Vespa Graphics
- White Wall tyre Inserts
The above accessories are not available in India,but will be soon brought into the country and sold at Vespa Outlets.

I was lucky enough to lay my lands on the White Wall tyre inserts and wasted no time in getting them fitted.Voila it has changed the looks totally !!!
I also added a little italian theme with few decals of the green.white,red flag.
Tomorrow the Vespa goes for a long ride on the highway to test various ride parametres.

Striking a pose with the White Walls
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-lx-125-white-walls-001.jpg
A Patton Tank meets an Italian Icon
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-002.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-003.jpg
Italian Theme
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-004.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-005.jpg
Vespa logo on the engine cover
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-006.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-007.jpg
The iconic retro Piaggio logo
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-008.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-001.jpg
Piaggio Logo on the Chrome Fish guard
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-009.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-010.jpg
Instrument Cluster
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-014.jpg
Chrome Exhaust cover
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-015.jpg

My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-vespa-tank-bund-shoot-011.jpg

Last edited by hillram : 18th June 2012 at 11:35.
hillram is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Ride
Vespa LX 125 signifies a new genre of scooters in my opinion.When i took the ride on to a highway,my expectations were little and unassuming,but at the end of a 100km ride,I was back at my home with a smiling face.

The positive aspects :
- Super Acceleration and Speed Burst:This is the highlight of LX 125 as it can easily take 150cc steeds and give them a run for money...well atleast for a short distance.
- Cruise Speed : At 80kmph on the highway,LX 125 performed as steady as a rock,with very little drag and no strain what so ever.I was amazed at it steadiness and the ability to maintain a straight line speed with out revving much.I was able to touch 90kmh effortlessly,but backed off immediatly as these are the initial miles and Vespa recommends maximum speed as 90.
- Turning Raduis : At turns LX 125 performed marvellously with out losing balance or dropping the revs.A U-turn is quite comfortable and steady.This is only possible due to 48 degree handle bar turn possible on LX 125.
- Suspension : It was like sitting in a cradle and rocking.The smooth and soft suspension took the pot holes and speed brakers with ease,which are a highlight.
- Riding Comfort : The body posture adapts very well to the handle bar position,Knee spacing and the seat contours to give an absolute comfortable ride on a longer stretch.Though I felt a slight wobble once or twice during a very strong gust of wind,the ride comfort is amazing.

The negative aspects :
- Braking : My only grouse what so ever till now.Front and rear brake levers make you take a stress on the hands,especially the handle grips are not having foam and are very hard.Sudden braking needs be avoided,but one can ensure a safe stop if both the hand brake levers are applied simultaneously to bring the acceleration to 0 with out skidding.
I guess Vespa will soon introduce the Disc brake option to chase away my chagrin !!

Final Verdict : A Vespa for me is a companion till eternity and LX 125 fares very well in my opinion.Its a true lifestyle product and must be refrained from carrying grocery bags or cardboard cartons and last but not the least..Milk Cans !!

Back home i opened the boot and took a look at the engine to see if everything was all right under the hood.Thats when I decided to sing for the first time Dot Fratrelli...The Italian National Anthem !!!
Storage Space
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-tarini-vespa-shoot-005.jpg
A peep into the Engine Bay
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-tarini-vespa-shoot-003.jpg
Your Truly
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-tarini-vespa-shoot-009.jpg

Last edited by hillram : 18th June 2012 at 11:36.
hillram is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 11:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from Assembly Line.

Thanks a lot for sharing and wishing you many many happy miles.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 11:52   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. Your Italian ride looks good in sunshine yellow
How much did it cost OTR? I would like to see pics of your other Vespas as well.. You do have an impressive collection.
My dad also had a NV and he currently is pretty happy with his Select III. I learned to ride on Select as well..
Old 18th June 2012, 12:16   #6
BHPian

Is there an option to take tubeless tyres (would go well with alloys) ?
That apart, barring the price tag, the wasp is sure to start an Italian love affair!

Wish you many more years of happy (s)miles!
Old 18th June 2012, 12:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Is there an option to take tubeless tyres (would go well with alloys) ?
That apart, barring the price tag, the wasp is sure to start an Italian love affair!

Wish you many more years of happy (s)miles!
The Company does not provide Tubeless tyres,but I guess they can be fitted from after market.Considering that there is no spare wheel,its a wise move to switch over to tubeless tyres.
Old 18th June 2012, 12:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see a Vespa LX 125 ownership thread. Can you post pictures of the new Vespa with the rest of your fleet?
Old 18th June 2012, 12:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Nice to see a Vespa LX 125 ownership thread. Can you post pictures of the new Vespa with the rest of your fleet?
Thanks,I havent yet got a picture of my new Vespa with the rest of my fleet,but this how my rest of the fleet sans the new Vespa looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-179934_10150891507353300_617297604_n.jpg  

hillram is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 12:55   #10
BHPian

Congratulations and I wish you many happy miles!!
The styling and the nostalgia is definitely there. The white tire wall looks neat. Sorry to hear about the brakes, I hope disc brakes do get introduced.
Old 18th June 2012, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thanks,I havent yet got a picture of my new Vespa with the rest of my fleet,but this how my rest of the fleet sans the new Vespa looks like:
Awesome collection. You should write to vespa and let them know of your passion...
Old 18th June 2012, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Congrats Ram on the new acquisition. The Yellow Vespa looke niche. I am sure you would have attracted 100 eyeballs in the 100 km trip.

A few questions:

1. How is the accelaration with 2 adults?
2. Is it better or as good as the activa?
3. How does it fare in some of the steep inclines of our city?
Old 18th June 2012, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
1. How is the accelaration with 2 adults?
2. Is it better or as good as the activa?
3. How does it fare in some of the steep inclines of our city?
Thanks.
I havent tried a ride with 2 Adults yet,but when I did the test drive at the Showroom,the ride was very comfortable and hardly felt any stress to pull ahead.
I havent ever ridden an Activa,hence I cannot comment.Inclines were taken with considerable ease.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:19   #14
BHPian

Today saw a yellow vespa and it was a looker, 2 to 3 people were asking price, "kita deti hai" questions and all these when traffice signal was red.

If i am not wrong this has the highest torque and bhp in its segment.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats a huge collection of Vespa's!! Congrats on your new scooters, it's one of my favourites. The retro theme looks great to, except I felt that there's too much chrome inserts on it. But that's me only; otherwise you have a great looking 2-wheeler there!! Drive safe.

P.S: Have you posted pics of all your Vespa's on any other thread? I wish to see them all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks