Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Its a different beast all together on the highways.. The only thing that I don't like is stone like suspension :( Anything that can be done?
Rear suspension is adjustable I guess. Just check with the Service center. or else you can even think of changing the shocks.

Cheers

ride safe
Old 26th July 2012, 20:38   #47
BHPian

Congrats man! You got a wonderful bike!

I used to own one - sold in 2007 after using it for 2 years and 30K Kms. Like you, I have been a car guy since then. But reading wonderful threads like this, my biking desires are getting rejuvenated. Thought of the Thunderbird / RE Classic 500, but my wife is so hell bent on buying this again. We did our honeymoon in that bike - around 560Kms.

Recently met the guy (and my bike too) who bought my Avenger back in 2007. He changed the odometer once at around 60K and the new one has already reached close to 70K! And still the only part that has rusted / lost its glamour is the backside (the black part) of the silencer - that has worn out 70%. Amazing build...
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 14:19   #48
BHPian

I am using a Kawasaki Eliminator on which this bike is modelled and the finish is much better in the Eliminator.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: 6500 Kms Second Free service done at 5500 Kms

This is a delayed update and sorry for that. The bike has now run 6500 Kms in a little over 4 months. The second service was done at 5500 Kms. Bike has opened up considerably however, you still wouldn't want to ride it above 80-90. It does get a lot Vibey. The performance has been satisfactory and along expected lines. The engine is just a little gruff and I like it specially in the mid range. I love the way it pulls off effortlessly at city speeds without needing to down shift at all. Its when the revs rise further that the engine becomes overtly vibey.

Total cost of the service came upto around Rs.600.

Till the last tank fill, the average mileage has been 33.42 km/l The best that I could manage has been 36.66 and the worst has been 28.64 Kmpl. This has been in hundred percent city riding and with a pillion more than 50% of time.

I have been using only Bajaj engine oil till now. Not yet changed to some other brand.

Cheers.

Ride safe.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Good going.
So you seem to be using the bike regularly.

Last week I was in Gurgaon and experienced that infamous toll plaza with huge queues and with weather becoming more and more pleasant, I was wondering why people don't use bikes! Even if they use a bike for 3 months out of 12, savings would be substantial - in terms of emissions, expenses, time....

Enjoy your toll free life..

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Good going.
So you seem to be using the bike regularly.

Last week I was in Gurgaon and experienced that infamous toll plaza with huge queues and with weather becoming more and more pleasant, I was wondering why people don't use bikes!
Cheers!
Yes I agree. I ride almost daily to Gurgaon now. Earlier I used to take my car, but now I shudder to think about it. Car has now become a weekend use vehicle. Riding saves me more than half the time I would take with my car. Only issue is that one is directly exposed to all that dust and pollution. Still I prefer that to being perpetually stuck in traffic jams on the expressway and the endless queues at the toll. Not to talk about the savings in terms of fuel.
Old 20th November 2012, 21:26   #52
BHPian

Hi all,

I am planning for my second bike and the search has narrowed down to the new Avenger (since I will be doing some long rides). Probably by next month end, I'll be having one. Now, my question is about the windshield. I'm planning to get one fitted after the purchase since the SA said it does not come with the bike. Is it good to have the windshield from aerodynamics and mileage PoV ? Does it fool with the vision while driven, sorry ridden , in the night or when its raining?

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 20th November 2012 at 21:28.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi all,

I am planning for my second bike and the search has narrowed down to the new Avenger (since I will be doing some long rides). Probably by next month end, I'll be having one. Now, my question is about the windshield. I'm planning to get one fitted after the purchase since the SA said it does not come with the bike. Is it good to have the windshield from aerodynamics and mileage PoV ? Does it fool with the vision while driven, sorry ridden , in the night or when its raining?

Sorry, I have no first hand information. I have heard though, it reduces the wind blast to a large extent. Maybe others can give a clearer picture.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Sorry, I have no first hand information. I have heard though, it reduces the wind blast to a large extent. Maybe others can give a clearer picture.
Hi All, I have been using Avenger 220(with windshield) for more than a year now . The sales Exec is correct when he`s saying the windshield is optional and doesnt come with bike however I am not really convinced about its significance . It certainly adds to the looks of the bike but Wind resisting ability , aerodynamics & mileage .........no i dont think so .For more mileage just drive it between 50-60km/hr You`l get good mileage . For past 6 months I am constantly getting 40+ .The best that I ever got was 51 last month....Cheers!!!
praveear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:02   #55
BHPian

Thanks guys. In the autocar review and on an another thread at BCMTouring, they say that the Avenger 220 starts straining after it crosses 80kmph. In another thread the thread-starter says he cruises comfortably between 100 and 110kmph on the Avenger effortlessly. Which one is the truth? What are your experience? Would really like to know.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveear View Post
For past 6 months I am constantly getting 40+ .The best that I ever got was 51 last month....Cheers!!!
OMG 40+? 51? The best I have managed is 36 thereabouts. But then I have my wife as pillion most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Thanks guys. In the autocar review and on an another thread at BCMTouring, they say that the Avenger 220 starts straining after it crosses 80kmph. In another thread the thread-starter says he cruises comfortably between 100 and 110kmph on the Avenger effortlessly. Which one is the truth? What are your experience? Would really like to know.
I would quote my own post for your reference here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Bike has opened up considerably however, you still wouldn't want to ride it above 80-90. It does get a lot Vibey. The performance has been satisfactory and along expected lines. The engine is just a little gruff and I like it specially in the mid range. I love the way it pulls off effortlessly at city speeds without needing to down shift at all. Its when the revs rise further that the engine becomes overtly vibey.
That has been my experience. Hope it helps. Others may want to pitch in though.

Cheers

Ride Safe

Last edited by vibbs : 22nd November 2012 at 17:35. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:29   #57
BHPian

Quote:
OMG 40+? 51? The best I have managed is 36 thereabouts. But then I have my wife as pillion most of the time.
Yes , I ride solo and my ride consists of 13km one-side, great roads with only one signal so You can call it the ideal condition for getting great mileage.
praveear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 22:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey vibbs, how's the bike doing? Today I saw a brand new gleaming red Avenger with a temp registration at a signal and I recalled your bike instantly I still feel getting one for those long cruising rides! I really like the Avenger but right now I have a very good bike that has not even done 20k kms; so selling that and getting the Avenger would not be a very wise idea.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 16:34   #59
BHPian

Hey Friends,
Could someone please enlighten why I am getting a wobbling effect on a brand new bike which has done only 70kms ?? It gets worse when there is a pillion rider. The exact effect I can describe is like a pillion who is constantly shifting weight.
The air pressure is ok. I have tried it on 25 / 30psi both.

The rear wheel also does not seem to be rotating freely. When I am in first or second and if I keep the clutch pressed the bike actually feels like it is braking and comes to a halt without any brakes applied.

I would appreciate some help here because I'm a first time bike owner.

Thanks & best regards,
Mac_Guy555.
mac_guy555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 15:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hey vibbs, how's the bike doing? Today I saw a brand new gleaming red Avenger with a temp registration at a signal and I recalled your bike instantly I still feel getting one for those long cruising rides! I really like the Avenger but right now I have a very good bike that has not even done 20k kms; so selling that and getting the Avenger would not be a very wise idea.
Hey W.A.G7, I am extremely sorry don't know how I missed this post for this many days. The bike has not been with me for close to 7 months now. I have shifted to Pune and the avy is in Delhi. Will be getting her here soon. But it has never let me down and the only real grouse has been the poor gear shift quality. Hmm missing her nowadays and need to plan soon to get it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_guy555 View Post
Hey Friends,
Could someone please enlighten why I am getting a wobbling effect on a brand new bike which has done only 70kms ?? It gets worse when there is a pillion rider. The exact effect I can describe is like a pillion who is constantly shifting weight.
The air pressure is ok. I have tried it on 25 / 30psi both.

The rear wheel also does not seem to be rotating freely. When I am in first or second and if I keep the clutch pressed the bike actually feels like it is braking and comes to a halt without any brakes applied.

I would appreciate some help here because I'm a first time bike owner.

Thanks & best regards,
Mac_Guy555.

Hi, congrats on your purchase. The avenger is a good bike and hope u have a good time with it. Is there a problem with the rear tyre? Wobbling and braking feeling seems to imply some issue which is probably preventing the free movement of the wheels. May be a bent rim or even the rear brake being stuck. I am not sure and these are what I can think of right now.

Most Viewed