Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 20:04   #61

Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God

Hi Guys, Just purchased a new Avenger 220cc.
This is my initial feel review :

Pros : Excellent seating for the driver (I am 6 ft tall, hence my first criteria in a bike) and the pillion.
Superb Pick-up from 0-60 kmph. Very useful in the city.
Mileage is around 45kmpl.
Very stable at all speeds.
Gives the feel of an authentic cruiser (though its not).

Cons : Top speed of 100 kmph.
Poor rear view mirrors.
Very stiff and short rear suspension.
Rough gearing. (Might be sorted out after first service).
Cannot hit neutral every time you want to.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God-img20140320wa0011.jpg  

Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God-img20140320wa0013.jpg  

Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God-img20140320wa0012.jpg  

Akshay S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 22:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
Congrats on your new bike mate!!

Rough gearing- Mine had not smoothened even after 10k kms.
And yes the neutral not hitting problem still exists.

That said, it is a pretty decent bike at the price point. Hope you enjoy your time with her.
Old 28th March 2014, 20:03   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Congrats on your new bike mate!!

Rough gearing- Mine had not smoothened even after 10k kms.
And yes the neutral not hitting problem still exists.

That said, it is a pretty decent bike at the price point. Hope you enjoy your time with her.
Thanks Vibbs.
I did find a way to hit neutral consistently though. Any attempt to shift to neutral from 1st gear is impossible. But every attempt of shifting down from 2nd makes me it neutral. Keep in mind that it must be done softly otherwise you end up in 1st gear (which is okay if you are slowing down while driving).
Try it out. Hope it works out for you too.
Old 29th March 2014, 13:26   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vibbs.
I did find a way to hit neutral consistently though. Any attempt to shift to neutral from 1st gear is impossible. But every attempt of shifting down from 2nd makes me it neutral. Keep in mind that it must be done softly otherwise you end up in 1st gear (which is okay if you are slowing down while driving).
Akshay, the hard gear shifts will be there till you run in about 5k kms. There are a couple of Springs if you open the clutch cover. If they go bad you experience hard shifts. But since it's a new bike you can rule it out.

Engine oil also makes a lot of difference to the engine smoothness and gear shifts. I would personally recommend Valvoline 20W50. Best mineral oil for Bajaj engines. Costs about 350 as and you can run it for 3k kms before draining. I am using this oil for the past 15k kms and it has made a lot of difference on how the engine behaves. And this is coming from a person who has used the epitome of best synthetic oil aka motul 300v and also has tried many sundry oils . You would need to buy 2 bottles since avenger takes 1.2 liters and you can use the remaining for top ups of required . I am very happy with this oil. Best part is it keeps the engine cooler compared to other mineral oils
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, Just purchased a new Avenger 220cc.
Congrats Akshay on your new acquisition from a fellow Avengerian . I bought mine in 2011 and she still runs like a charm.

Quote:
Cons : Top speed of 100 kmph.
Poor rear view mirrors.
Well that sums up the cons almost all the avvy owners face. But as for me, I didn't have many issues with the rear view mirrors. Actually I feel it is better than most other bikes in which the best view one gets is of his own biceps .

Quote:
Thanks Vibbs.
Initially even I had faced the neutral issue too. But once I got used to the bike and developed a knack for operating, it became easy and I can hit the neutral almost subconsciously.

Even though you have not mentioned it, but at first many people used to think that turning is a problem because of the stance. But I find it comfortable and a breeze to ride in traffic.

Congrats again and ride safe!!
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:18   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Akshay, the hard gear shifts will be there till you run in about 5k kms. There are a couple of Springs if you open the clutch cover. If they go bad you experience hard shifts. But since it's a new bike you can rule it out.

Engine oil also makes a lot of difference to the engine smoothness and gear shifts. I would personally recommend Valvoline 20W50. Best mineral oil for Bajaj engines. Costs about 350 as and you can run it for 3k kms before draining. I am using this oil for the past 15k kms and it has made a lot of difference on how the engine behaves. And this is coming from a person who has used the epitome of best synthetic oil aka motul 300v and also has tried many sundry oils . You would need to buy 2 bottles since avenger takes 1.2 liters and you can use the remaining for top ups of required . I am very happy with this oil. Best part is it keeps the engine cooler compared to other mineral oils
So you suggest Valvoline 20W50 right from the outset? The bajaj guys were saying something about null warranty if I brought my own oils. Oh, and I would do anything for a cooler engine. It does have a tendency to get very hot very quickly! Thanks a lot for your guidance
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:51   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So you suggest Valvoline 20W50 right from the outset? The bajaj guys were saying something about null warranty if I brought my own oils. Oh, and I would do anything for a cooler engine. It does have a tendency to get very hot very quickly! Thanks a lot for your guidance
Depends on which service center you visit. Some allow. Some threaten you with voiding warranty

Yes i would suggest you that oil from the first oil change itself. Unless you are willing to spend 1300 bucks for fully synthetic 300v
Old 4th August 2014, 21:47   #68
BANNED

I have enjoyed owning and riding an Avenger for the last 7 years.
I havent faced any major issues yet but my pillions have been complaining of bad suspension.
I remember reading that someone had replaced his rear suspension with that of a Bullet with Gas shockers.
Can anyone gove me the Bullet shockers model number...my mechanic has his own ideas and I dont have courage to indulge him.
Old 4th August 2014, 22:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I have enjoyed owning and riding an Avenger for the last 7 years.
I havent faced any major issues yet but my pillions have been complaining of bad suspension.
I remember reading that someone had replaced his rear suspension with that of a Bullet with Gas shockers.
Can anyone gove me the Bullet shockers model number...my mechanic has his own ideas and I dont have courage to indulge him.

Hi

I am not too sure about Bullet shockers, but I have heard a few trying out Pulsar's rear shockers on Avenger. Seems to do a good job.

BTW I too would like to do the change, please let me know in case you get a good suggestion.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Hi Sagar, pls confirm whether you are referring to "Valvoline™ 4T Premium 20W50"?

I am going for a oil change in very near future and was suggested to go for Motul 5100 (Semi Synth) or 300v (Fully Synth) and i am almost sold on 300v but then i stumbled upon your above post.

Pls Help!
Old 1st November 2014, 06:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Hi Sagar, pls confirm whether you are referring to "Valvoline™ 4T Premium 20W50"?

I am going for a oil change in very near future and was suggested to go for Motul 5100 (Semi Synth) or 300v (Fully Synth) and i am almost sold on 300v but then i stumbled upon your above post.

Pls Help!
Yes sir, I am referring to the same oil.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:47   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post

Pls Help!
I have been a happy user of Motul 5100 for the past 8k kms on my Pulsar 180(similar engine). Mostly I use the bike within the city, with occasional highway rides. The performance has always very good, including the gearshifts. The engine does get a hot (irrespective of the 3 different engine oils that I have used till date) but it not at all in the discomforting range. Also I have been changing the oil at 2k kms intervals for my past 3 bikes and my old P150 was butter smooth and very peppy even after 8yrs/44k kms.

PS: My FNG was talking of a new range cooling additives have come from ELF. This is added with the engine oil and it remains much cooler. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 13th November 2014, 20:44   #73

Dear all,

I sincerely want to thank y'all for sharing your experiences that made me decide and buy the Avenger 220. I brought it home today (it always seem to rain whether I get a new vehicle or have it serviced! (happened the same when I bought my Scorpio as well) ).

Anyway, buying experience at Popular Bajaj, Banashankari was average. No grumbles but no brownies as well.

I was used to Yamaha RX100 (1986) for a long while and so did not find riding the Avenger very difficult. Finding neutral, as someone mentioned in this thread, should come more as a reflex than consciously trying to. I drove all the way from the dealership to my home in rain-splattered traffic without once missing the neutral: remember that this is my first full-fledged ride on the Avenger.

Mirrors were not appealing as far as the view from them was concerned: I probably need to rejig them horizontal to vertical (I am only 5 feet 2 inches).

If you are an experienced driver, braking should never be an issue on any vehicle (unless it is plain junk vehicle or ill-maintained or if the situation is panic-braking). I usually control the vehicle by shifting gears appropriately.

The pickup is typically bullish (that I had not expected) and the feeling of a missing 6th gear was definitely lingering.

I will post more updates as and when I can.

Again, many thanks and wishes to my fellow Avvy brothers!

Regards,
Suhas
suhasd75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 14:15   #74
BHPian

Hi Suhas,

Congratulations on the Avenger 220 from another Suhas. I got a blue one on the Ayudha Puja day this year. So far so good, done around 400 Kms, and it has been my daily ride. Getting a mileage of 34 KMPL.

Regards
Suhas
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:33   #75

Hello fellow folks,

I had an urge and did 300KM (total) just for the heck of it to give my Avy a leeway. NH4: go 150KM and return
No issues, braking is purely instinct (apply back first and then hold front). Else, in panic, jam hard on front but risk injury (compared to fatal).

No issues with Neutral or skidding: Neutral comes naturally to me bcos of the RX. Try to use the back lever and/or shift the stand-still vehicle to-fro.

I need to reduce the handle position: 5 feet 2 inches: got crams but used yoga to get back to normal.

Hope it helps.

Most Viewed