Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 17:10   #76

Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God

Folks,

I am thinking of getting the Avy too. These reviews are extremely helpful in that regard. Another interesting review I found on Mouthshut: http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Baja...iew-rpnprpottr.

Its very well written but what worries me is the author claims the Avy to be 4 times more prone to accidents. Do the owners agree? If yes, is this because the natural way to handle this bike with the extended front wheel is different from the 'regular' bikes? And may be the disc brake on the front adds to this.

Any comments on this aspect of handling?

ajay
dajay0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 17:24   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajay0 View Post
Folks,

I am thinking of getting the Avy too. These reviews are extremely helpful in that regard. Another interesting review I found on Mouthshut: http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Baja...iew-rpnprpottr.

Its very well written but what worries me is the author claims the Avy to be 4 times more prone to accidents. Do the owners agree? If yes, is this because the natural way to handle this bike with the extended front wheel is different from the 'regular' bikes? And may be the disc brake on the front adds to this.

ajay
I cannot comment on the 4 times accident prone claim, but I can assure you, once you have the feel of it, you'll be as comfortable in handling it as with any other bike. The discs do create a heavy forward brake bias, so it would help if you always have an equally grippier back brake and get accustomed to sharp braking. Sharp braking is seldom required though, because the bike can barely sustain 90 km/hr continuously.
Akshay S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 22:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajay0 View Post
Folks,

ajay

Hi

I too would nt agree with 4 times more prone to accident claim. All cruisers have more weight towards the rear wheels as compared to other bikes. As one brakes, there is a shift of mass towards the forward wheels which is more in other bikes than in cruisers. As a result the disc brakes on the front in an Avenger will tend to lock the wheels faster than a conventional bike if pressed alone (because more weight is still towards the rear). Having a good rear brake and using both brakes together will negate this to quite an extant. It is a matter of getting used to I guess.

It is definitely trickier in an avenger than the average bike on the road. But saying 4 times more prone to accidents is a bit off the mark. Though I too used to find braking difficult initially.

Last edited by vibbs : 19th December 2014 at 22:06.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:34   #79

Akshay, Vibbs, thanks for your responses! Sorry I could not respond earlier as I was on vacation. I agree braking is a matter of getting used to.

I had one other point of discussion: my experience with Bajaj motorcycle batteries (mostly exide) has been bad. They did not last for more than 13 months for me. Not sure if its the bike or the battery. Is 13 months the norm? If so then I think the Avenger is very disadvantaged with no kick start.

What are your experiences in this regard?

In any case I have decided to trade in my old bike and go for the Avenger.

ajay
Old 6th January 2015, 17:35   #80

Sorry dajay, I wouldn't know about the battery as my bike is just ten months old now. I'll keep you posted if I do have a battery problem within 24 months.
Old 19th January 2015, 09:57   #81
BHPian

Hey guys. I am 6 feet tall and have a heavy built. Would love to go for the Avenger. What do you think? Will it suit me considering my built? I have been riding my 2005 Karizma till now and want to change it. Budget is an issue so would consider either any Pulsar model or this. Your opinion please...
Old 20th January 2015, 21:45   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hey guys. I am 6 feet tall and have a heavy built. Would love to go for the Avenger. What do you think? Will it suit me considering my built? I have been riding my 2005 Karizma till now and want to change it. Budget is an issue so would consider either any Pulsar model or this. Your opinion please...
Dear Knight.Rider,

I am 5 feet 2 inches and chose the Avenger for that precise reason.
Not sure about other folks but I feel that this bike is not suitable for a 6 foot person. Yeah, those who may have used it for 4-6 months can claim it is comfortable, but if you do not intend to keep the bike longer, I would suggest a regular bike. If you are crazy about the Pulsar, the NS series is absolutely fabulous (same engine but toned down on the Avenger): I did a pillion and it felt nice (300km/day trip); and it has a higher and sportier seat placement

Hope it helps,
Suhas
Old 6th March 2015, 10:36   #83

Got my bike back from 3rd free service. Need a bit of help/advice from fellow avvy owners.
1. Did the gearing slip after the service? When I shift up, occasionally, the chain disengages and engine revs. I then have to reengage the gear. Sometimes, immediately after an upshift, it downshifts automatically and I need to shift up again. Has anyone experienced this? If so, ant way to prevent it from happening?
2. A constant metallic buzzing/tinkling sounds (usually associated with spoked wheels of bicycles) has started coming after the service. I am worried it might be a constant friction between brakes and disc. Bajaj service guy said not to worry and it is common.
Old 21st July 2015, 23:55   #84
BHPian

A little bit off topic, but have any other Avenger Owners seen this issue:

The housing for my speedometer just cracked for the 3rd time ... identical to the previous 2 over the last decade, and the only solution offered to me is to replace the entire unit.

The build quality just for that particular piece looks suspiciously poor, else how do I explain the speedo breaking of like this repeatedly when there is no load or strain on it apart from the speedo wire?

Any DIY or jugaad suggestions also welcome. Currently I am running with the speedo taped up to the handlebar and that makes my poor (otherwise gleaming) steed look really ugly
Old 22nd July 2015, 06:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
Got my bike back from 3rd free service. Need a bit of help/advice from fellow avvy owners.
1. Did the gearing slip after the service? When I shift up, occasionally, the chain disengages and engine revs. I then have to reengage the gear. Sometimes, immediately after an upshift, it downshifts automatically and I need to shift up again. Has anyone experienced this? If so, ant way to prevent it from happening?

Hi

It's a bit late to reply, but two of my friends have reported same problem with gears downshifting automatically. There has been no solution so far will keep you posted if I hear anything.

My Avenger however does not slot into first while moving. ie it is very difficult to downshift from second to first. However while starting off, I can shift to first from neutral. I am willing to attribute this problem to the fact that the bike has been largely unused for the last one and a half years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
A little bit off topic, but have any other Avenger Owners seen this issue:

The housing for my speedometer just cracked for the 3rd time ... identical to the previous 2 over the last decade, and the only solution offered to me is to replace the entire unit.

The build quality just for that particular piece looks suspiciously poor, else how do I explain the speedo breaking of like this repeatedly when there is no load or strain on it apart from the speedo wire?

Any DIY or jugaad suggestions also welcome. Currently I am running with the speedo taped up to the handlebar and that makes my poor (otherwise gleaming) steed look really ugly
Now this is a new one. Any photos of the cracked speedo?? Looks to me like a one off case with your bike. Maybe some alignment problem that is developing stress on the unit while it is fitted?
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:57   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Any photos of the cracked speedo?? Looks to me like a one off case with your bike. Maybe some alignment problem that is developing stress on the unit while it is fitted?
Here you go. The same thin non-metallic strip above the 2 bolts (highlighted) is where it gets broken every time. No idea about the alignment problem as the first speedo was factory fitted, second from one authorized service station and the third from another...

Seems like the bike has an aversion to let the speedo cross 20,000 KM. All 3 times the speedo has broken just before 20K was to be breached

Not sure what can cause this, as the only load/pull can come from the speedo wire itself... Cleaning guy cannot be blamed as I take care of the bike myself. Not too happy in having this unique and persistent issue
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God-speedo.jpg  

Old 26th July 2015, 08:08   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post

2. A constant metallic buzzing/tinkling sounds (usually associated with spoked wheels of bicycles) has started coming after the service. I am worried it might be a constant friction between brakes and disc. Bajaj service guy said not to worry and it is common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi

It's a bit late to reply, but two of my friends have reported same problem with gears downshifting automatically. There has been no solution so far will keep you posted if I hear anything.

My Avenger however does not slot into first while moving. ie it is very difficult to downshift from second to first. However while starting off, I can shift to first from neutral. I am willing to attribute this problem to the fact that the bike has been largely unused for the last one and a half years.

Now this is a new one. Any photos of the cracked speedo?? Looks to me like a one off case with your bike. Maybe some alignment problem that is developing stress on the unit while it is fitted?
Most of the times, improper clutch (wire) adjustments and loose (or extra tight) drive chain are the reason behind hard gearshifts. Do get them checked and adjusted from a good mechanic and you will be very happy. Chain tightening is an art, what I have felt from my experience. A little shoddy job and I used to suffer from hard shifts, false neutrals, reduced acceleration and lot of chain sound.

Also don't forget to lubricate your chain regularly (every 400-500 kms/1 month) with recommended chain lubricants.

Quote:
Here you go. The same thin non-metallic strip above the 2 bolts (highlighted) is where it gets broken every time. No idea about the alignment problem as the first speedo was factory fitted, second from one authorized service station and the third from another...

Seems like the bike has an aversion to let the speedo cross 20,000 KM. All 3 times the speedo has broken just before 20K was to be breached

Not sure what can cause this, as the only load/pull can come from the speedo wire itself... Cleaning guy cannot be blamed as I take care of the bike myself. Not too happy in having this unique and persistent issue

I know this is a jugaad, but how about putting a thick aluminium piece (of same size) under the non-metallic strip with holes drilled for the screws. This will give much needed support to plastic. I don't know if there is space for such a modification and whether it will be possible but it is just an idea worth a shot. You could plastic weld the current speedo before putting in the aluminium strip.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 09:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

I know this is a jugaad, but how about putting a thick aluminium piece (of same size) under the non-metallic strip with holes drilled for the screws. This will give much needed support to plastic. I don't know if there is space for such a modification and whether it will be possible but it is just an idea worth a shot. You could plastic weld the current speedo before putting in the aluminium strip.
Guys, is is non metallic? I think mine is metallic. I will check and come back on this.

Meanwhile jugaad suggested by ashis should work. Get an aluminium strip fabricated of the same size, drill two holes and see if it can be substituted instead of the plastic strip.
Old 4th September 2015, 17:07   #89
BHPian

An appeal to all Bajaj Avenger owners or enthusiasts

Go thru this guys travelogues on Avenger - almost entire Europe he conquered and now is on the USA tour all this on the humble Avenger.

https://www.facebook.com/subhash.inamdar.12?fref=ts

Really hats off to him (Mr. Subhash Inamdar) - and he is 62

Really sorry for mentioning it in this thread but this was the most popular thread on Avenger hence quoted here.

Last edited by The Great : 4th September 2015 at 17:08.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
An appeal to all Bajaj Avenger owners or enthusiasts

Go thru this guys travelogues on Avenger - almost entire Europe he conquered and now is on the USA tour all this on the humble Avenger.

https://www.facebook.com/subhash.inamdar.12?fref=ts

Really hats off to him (Mr. Subhash Inamdar) - and he is 62

Really sorry for mentioning it in this thread but this was the most popular thread on Avenger hence quoted here.
Thanks for sharing that. Pretty daredevil of him to be touring around the world in an avenger at this age. Hats off.

UPDATE

Avy joins the red at Pune.

Its been two and a half years since I moved to Pune. Avenger however was still in Delhi till three months back when I finally moved it to Pune. It had not been used for quite some time so I had got the bike serviced at Delhi. However there were issues. Petrol in the tank had disintegrated and as a result the carburetor internals had got a covering of greenish rust. Bike refused to start initially. So I got the oil changed and carburetor and petrol tank cleaned. However bike was still not perfect with irregular idle. Used to idle only with the choke pulled. I didnt have much time to pursue this in Delhi so decided to get the bike to Pune and get it rectified here.

However could not get time for past three months. Yesterday on Dussera day took it to the neighborhood garage and got the carburetor and tank cleaned again.
She now idles fine without choke (earlier used to die while idling without choke). However as the engine warms up the rpms get a tad too high. Also slight exhaust knocking when the throttle is let go.

Gear shifting is not precise yet despite getting the chain lubed. Intending to get the engine oil changed again.

Last edited by vibbs : 23rd October 2015 at 21:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks