Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Hello All,

Long story short, Have my RD with me for last 12 years, has seen lots of ups and downs, but last 5 years has been bliss on the riding front, always a sleeper look, done around 35ks on the rebore, running on .25 US spec barrels with Wisecos and other imported bits, ported in 2008 by my friend and mech Antony, bikes seen a lot of duty mainly on long rides. But it never had the show to go with the go, so finally decided to do the show part as well, please have a look at the pics below and let me know your vews.

Small things missing like side cover fins etc, which will be done by today, but was just super excited to post this....

Just to give little more input, this bike has more than a lakh of Kms, in various config, stock with drum, then an after market brembo and spikes, this bike I have used it for racing in the hill climbs, in the race track, taking it to the Himalayas, you name it it has seen it.

I am not a stock fan, but very keen to harness the power of the bike in today's available light cycle parts, as long as it shows a clean pair of heels to the next guy, am fine .

The bike currently runs a lightened crank, wisecos, ported and polished by my tuner and friend Antony, who currently holds the record for the fastest RD in a drag strip, does a genuine 100MPH. As of now the bike sees duty only on highways with my wife as a pillion most of the times, so as you can see, full peak handling is my no 1 criteria.
Attached Thumbnails
My RD350- What do you think?-rd1.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd2.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd3.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd4.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd5.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd6.jpg  

My RD350- What do you think?-rd7.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2012 at 15:56. Reason: Adding your additional points to the opening post itself
Khodays is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 14:17   #2
BHPian

Re: My RD350- What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Hello All,

Long story short, Have my RD with me for last 12 years, has seen lots of ups and downs, but last 5 years has been bliss on the riding front, always a sleeper look, done around 35ks on the rebore, running on .25 US spec barrels with Wisecos and other imported bits, ported in 2008 by my friend and mech Antony, bikes seen a lot of duty mainly on long rides. But it never had the show to go with the go, so finally decided to do the show part as well, please have a look at the pics below and let me know your vews.

S
Man... Too good. I see you have done a new paint job. Really love the looks.
BTW how does it drive. New timers will be finding tough to catch up with it on a free way.
Do post a detailed ownership review.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:25   #3
BHPian

Khodays, your RD seems to be very well kept. Congrats on keeping an iconic machine in pristine condition. Regarding the cosmetic changes you have done on your bike, I would have liked it if you have kept it close to the stock ones with subtle changes. This modification makes the bike look more like an ordinary 100 cc bike killing the character associated with RD's. This is a personal feedback, please do not get offended.
OHCVtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 14:25   #4
BANNED

Very neat and i remember your bike when you were planting the FZ front end almost 3 years back?If i remember it right.
This is very good candidate for becoming cafe racer, reminds me of Twinline paint scheme, pipes are awesome, are they Hydroformed?
Nice effort mate, put up the internals and performace figures if run in is over.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:29   #5
BHPian

Looks good, I can see the paint scheme is inspired from Twinline Motorcylces UK.

It would be good to know what all is gone in the bike technically like whether its running on points/cdi's, which ones, what pistons, carbs, I can see the UNI filters, is that a TZR inspired header.

Cheers..
Old 29th June 2012, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I love that paint job! Absolutely fabulous. Also, nice to see front disc brakes.

On the other hand, please get original switch gear and meters? Ditch the bar across the handlebars, makes the bike look like a wannabe RX100 mod job. And please, get rid of the front mud guard, get the original one and give it the same paint job.

On the technical front - the sharp kink in the exhaust pipe is not good for free flow. I think you will get some extra back pressure because of this.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

"torque induction" those two words bring a smile on my face and awesome memories......of course some of those memories also include wondering where to get money for fuel for the next rip, given its legendary appetite.....but all was forgotten when the revs crossed 5000 and she just took off with trails of white smoke.....what a beauty! super bike you have there!
Old 29th June 2012, 15:30   #8
BHPian

Beautiful paint job on this one. Very well kept motor. Congrats for this awesome ride mate. Do repost pics after adding side fins and all.
What all have you changed / replaced on your ride.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:31   #9
BANNED

Heres the bike which is inspiration for my 3rd RD aka cafe racer project, just waiting for my mechanic to start work with it.
Yamaha RD350
Twinline Yamaha RD350 2-Stroke | Silodrome
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 15:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lovely bike bro. Obvious labor of love of many mornings, evenings, and nights spent at the mech's. Or running around for parts, and waiting for them to arrive. You have a picture in your mind and you work towards it, and are not ready to compromise or look for substitutes. Money is never an issue, and you immune yourself to a gaping hole becoming progressively wider in your hip pocket.

Some personal suggestions:

1) The front fender is not old school enough - a simple sounded substitute would look more classy, but I guess your choice of fork legs dictates the mounting limitations

2) Try and get the twin pods for the instruments console - bike looks naked without it. Also the dome may have a better beam, but the original dome's shape gelled much better.

3) I like the wheels and tyres. No rear disc?

4) I like the seat cover material (have the same on my Bullet) - but not so much the scooped shape. Are you very short?
Old 29th June 2012, 15:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very good looking bike. Like the black color . I have the same set of alloys .
Old 29th June 2012, 15:51   #12
BHPian

The front fiber mud guard is not going well with the aesthetics of the bike. Please try and get a metal one fitted.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

I love the paint finish and the all black look. The gloss and sheen is brilliant.

At the risk of sounding like a purist and IMHO, the headlight and the front mudguard looks out of place. But the powder coating/matt finish on the pipes look super cool. Not able to see from the pics clearly but aren't the bends a bit too "sharp" on the pipes just after the manifold?
Old 29th June 2012, 16:54   #14
BHPian

Well, I must say the best colour combination after the original orange which I like the most. Except the handle bar and exhaust bend, rest of them are awesome.

I really liked the rolled belly. apt for long distances. Very less people roll them, rest hammer 'em.
Old 29th June 2012, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
At the risk of sounding like a purist and IMHO, the headlight and the front mudguard looks out of place.
+1 to the above comment especially the mudguard. I saw the first pic and immediately my eyes went to the mudguard. Does not seem to gel.

But otherwise superb paint finish and color combination. You said it has done about a lakh kms. You must have spent quite a bit in keeping it maintained in this pristine condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks