Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:34   #1

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!

Hi All,

Finally! After all the formalities I took delivery today with almost 24kms on the clock. I rode from Coimbatore to Coonoor [about 100kms] up the Ghats and I must say I am impressed with the performance. It rode up with plenty of reserve power and handled the bends really well.

First impressions - I have read about the very lax attitude RE has toward quality and was expecting a rust bucket with a bad paint job upon delivery, but I must say that the paint and chrome quality seems to be in good nick, and so does the quality of assembly. The only problems I have had so far is a few false neutrals and for some reason, I am not able to engage neutral when I come to a standstill; all other gears engage but the neutral light or the gear refuses to engage. Has anyone else experienced this?

Switches/Buttons - The quality seems to be of decent quality, the light switch for example does not click properly between positions. The finish seems to be good, though.

Horn - The new double horn sounds great and is distinctive enough to where people turn around just to see what vehicle made that sound.

Power/Acceleration - I am still in the break-in period so I have not used more than 1/2 throttle, the power seems good, but when you first get on the throttle it seems to be an on of off i.e. I twist a little, nothing happens and then all of sudden the throttle catches and the bike jerks forward.

Seat - Rode for about 2 hours yesterday and I earned a sore bottom. The saddle is soft enough, but could definitely use more support.

Brakes - I have set the pressure at 20F and 30R, there does not seem to be much front brake lock up [knock on wood] and the front brakes are awesome, the rear brakes on the other hand are dismal, I am not sure what their function is. They seem to work at our governments pace and take my inputs as mere suggestions to stop rather than a command. I seem to use only the front brakes a majority of the time as a result.

Wow Factor - The bike seems to attract positive attention wherever it goes. The wonderful thing about the Bullet is that the attention it garners seems to be more of admiration with plenty of thumbs up, rather than one of envy.

Aesthetics - I know I am biased, but I think this is one of the most beautiful objects on the road [and off], I cant stop staring at it.

Also, I am a newbie and this is my first motorcycle, I never thought riding could be this much fun; I am enjoying every minute of it.

P.S. Only one day of riding and I am almost up to 300kms, I hope to have my first 500km service before this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1798.jpg  

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1799.jpg  

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1800.jpg  

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1801.jpg  

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1802.jpg  

Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!-img_1722.jpg  

Last edited by DesiOC : 4th July 2012 at 21:10.
DesiOC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Enfield 500 Maroon Chrome - Mine Finally!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th July 2012, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiOC View Post
Brakes - I have set the pressure at 20F and 30R, there does not seem to be much front brake lock up [knock on wood] and the front brakes are awesome, the rear brakes on the other hand are dismal, I am not sure what their function is. They seem to work at our governments pace and take my inputs as mere suggestions to stop rather than a command. I seem to use only the front brakes a majority of the time as a result.
Congratulations on your purchase, CL500 is a great bike and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun in the days to come

Incidentally, on a bike, the front brake is supposed to provide the bulk of the stopping force, rear brakes play more of a support role (though you should use both in unison). If you're totally unsatisfied with the rear brake performance then you should get it checked at the service center.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:09   #4
BHPian

Chrome is the best dress for the bullet.
Your bull looks awesome.
Enjoy the cool breezy rides.
The best place to live with the bull.
Congrats again and ride safe.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Finally! After all the formalities I took delivery today with almost !
All you need is a pair of aviators to complete the look . Your bull looks awesome, Take care and Ride safe.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 19:25   #6

Thanks for the comments guys.

singhsid - I am not sure how effective the rear breaks are meant to be as this is my first 2-wheeler, but they seem to do almost nothing 99% of the time, barely slowing the bike down and if I really stand on them the lock up. It seems to be more of an on/off switch in nature and are not very linear. I think I need the SA to take a look into this on my 500km service.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
they seem to do almost nothing 99% of the time, barely slowing the bike down and if I really stand on them the lock up.
I'm not really shocked hearing that - I have an Enfield Electra and it often feels like the rear brake is doing nothing. However, your doubts could be valid, better get the brakes checked at the service center.

Also, I'm not quiet sure about how you brake, ideally you should be using both brakes in unison and not use them individually.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:32   #8
BHPian

Congratulations DesiOC!!
Your new ride looks gorgeous. Glad to read about the quality of paint and assembly. Enjoy every mile you ride on it.
What kind of waiting period did you have to endure?
Old 6th July 2012, 02:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

DesiOC

As you say you can lock up your rear brake if you try I would say they are working.

As for gaining a "feel" for them, different people like them adjusted to suit their style but I found the original adjustment on my bike when it was new left much to be desired.
The pedal required a great deal of movement to activate the rear brake.
I much prefer it to be adjusted so that I only have to press the pedal perhaps 10-15mm.

If you would like to try this setup put the bike on the centerstand so that the rear wheel is clear of the ground.
With the transmission in neutral and the engine shut off use a wrench to tighten the nut that is on the brake rod. This nut is behind the rear brake arm and it is cut so it self positions itself on the brake arm every 180 degrees of rotation.

If you have a UCE Owners Manual they describe how to adjust the brake rod on page 71 (in my book).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks