Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 11:37   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

unk9ja mate thanks a lot for sharing the pics of different Jawa motorcycles. After the RE Bullet the Jawa Yezdi is one such motorcycle that pulls my heart strings. I admire the way the owners have lovingly maintained their rides so well, some of them look fresh out of the factory. The scooters from Jawa was a revelation and looks amazing. Thanks again.
Old 15th July 2015, 18:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is the TS350 the same as the JAWA 350 Twin mechanically?
The Twin Sport 350 is also called as Jawa 638. The engine is different from the Jawa 350. It produces 28Bhp in its stock form whereas the Jawa350 produces 23.5Bhp.

This particular one is built in Czech and was in Russia. It was imported in the late 1990 to Chennai.

Last edited by unk9ja : 15th July 2015 at 18:23. Reason: Added details
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:35   #153
BHPian

[quote=unk9ja;3753381]More pics

Hey Uday, how are you?????

I did not mean BJYMC, what i meant was Bangalore Yezdians. Now do i make sense????
Old 16th July 2015, 17:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

[quote=srinikasyap;3754915]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
More pics

Hey Uday, how are you?????

I did not mean BJYMC, what i meant was Bangalore Yezdians. Now do i make sense????
Thanks, Srini. Doing fine.

Sorry for misinterpretation of your post.

Yes Bangalore rocks, but I liked the Chennai chapter for their discipline whenever we met. I still remember that you guys went out of your way when the Southern Raid 1 to make the Bangy boys comfortable.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:18   #155
BHPian

anytime mate, just purely for the passion..
Cmon we are all brothers who share the same passion.
Old 18th July 2015, 05:12   #156
BHPian

Guys

Seeking some decent advice here , I'm a complete novice when it comes to Jawa and Yezdi but always wanted to own either if not both of them as I have very decent childhood memories associated with them , especially the Jawa and hence the urge to buy one and learn everything about this magnificent bike , also it would be great to restore one to stock factory condition and bring it in front of my dad as I see a gleam in his eye till date every time we speak about his younger days ride.
I have come across a 1964 Jawa for sale in Hyderabad , the seller claims to be the second owner and claims the bike to be in good running condition , he states that he has the original RC book but I need to get it activated with the local RTO here ( Will find out the reason from him this Sunday ) , he wants 38000 for it and there in lies my issue , I have never seen a Jawa quoted so cheap here in Hyd , what are the potential pitfalls , what can go wrong ??, I've had a quick check of the Reg online and it comes up as the correct yr but the make comes up as Chetak which makes me doubt even more , I have good contacts at a very high level in the local RTO so I can get the info fished out easily , asking my cousin to check this out with a trusted mechanic , would like to hear some views and any other advice , cousin is visiting the seller on Sunday so all pointers / help will be greatly appreciated !!

Regards
Vickzkool
Old 20th July 2015, 15:56   #157
BHPian

hi vickz,

Jawa can go this cheap if he is a genuine seller, and knows the value of the bike. But the best would be to check the bike in person, take it for a ride, see how it is. But if this guy is some crook, this might not be his bike. Check the condition of the bike, check the papers, if they batch with the engine and chassis number. The Engine number and chassis number would be like IJ------ something like this. Even if the condition is not Mint, its okay. Its all metal, can be beaten and painted.
srinikasyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 03:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
hi vickz,

Jawa can go this cheap if he is a genuine seller, and knows the value of the bike. But the best would be to check the bike in person, take it for a ride, see how it is. But if this guy is some crook, this might not be his bike. Check the condition of the bike, check the papers, if they batch with the engine and chassis number. The Engine number and chassis number would be like IJ------ something like this. Even if the condition is not Mint, its okay. Its all metal, can be beaten and painted.
Srini

Thanks for the advice , the main problem is that I'm not in India and was interested in buying it to restore it by the time I come again , however my cousin was my eyes and ears , finally decided to cool interest as the registration number search on the RTO website shows the Vehicle as a bajaj chetak for the same yr , maybe it's a better idea to be physically present in India whilst buying !!
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 13:45   #159
BHPian

//slightly OT
just trying my luck (not sure if i would get any response)
am on the lookout for buying back my dad's yezdi classic. This was a 1970 make. Black & silver. It was registered as TNE 1381 in coimbatore. It was sold to someone from Mysore in 1995. Want to get it back and keep it with the family.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:14   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
//slightly OT
just trying my luck (not sure if i would get any response)
am on the lookout for buying back my dad's yezdi classic. This was a 1970 make. Black & silver. It was registered as TNE 1381 in coimbatore. It was sold to someone from Mysore in 1995. Want to get it back and keep it with the family.
Thumps up to your spirit. My best wishes to you to find the bike.
Have you written on the yahoo Jawa/ yezdi club ? they have a FB page too.
try all means.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:53   #161
BHPian

This is indeed a great thread about one of the legends of Indian motorcycling.

My uncle has a 1996 Yezdi Roadking in Bangalore. The bike is running fine but it is showing its age in terms of faded chrome and peeling paint.

Last weekend, I took it to a mechanic in Bangalore to check on the cost of buffing, chroming, powder coating and painting it. I was surprised, to say the least, to receive a quote of around 60k for the aforementioned job.

Admittedly, I am no expert in the matter, and so wanted to check in with the experts on the forum, is that a reasonable quote for the cosmetic work?
Any recommendations towards a good place to get the work done in Bangalore also would be much appreciated.
Old 19th November 2015, 17:16   #162
BHPian

You should be able to do it around 40k i believe. Including the labour charges of the mechanic & some minor spares parts like rubber parts. At least, that is the going rate here in kerala. I would suggest you to carry out the job by yourself to keep the costs minimal. Ask the mechanic to dismantle the bike for painting. then, find a painter, get it painted & ask your mechanic to reassemble it. Same case with buffing, chroming too. Its not hard to do if you can spend some time on it. That way, you will be paying the exact charges only. No commissions to the mechanic. Just his labour charge only. Hope your engine/ ignition & wiring etc are fine though.
Old 19th November 2015, 19:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
You should be able to do it around 40k i believe.
Thanks for that Arun. Doing it myself definitely seems to be the way to go given the rates being quoted here. Surely, there could not be that much of a premium between Bangalore and Kerala.
Old 19th November 2015, 22:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
Surely, there could not be that much of a premium between Bangalore and Kerala.
I am baffled at the rates for restorations down south. I mean 45-65K seriously. I need to see the restorations done by the restorer in question before giving those 40 to 70 big ones. No wonder even the mechs in Bangalore and now Kerala are taking advantage of the IT( no not the income tax but the other famous IT) revolution. They seem to be making hay while the sun shines from the gullible IT crowd while others are also been taken advantage of. I always kept wondering why prices of Enfield's especially CI's, Jawa Yezdi's, RX100 and RD350 down south are pointing northwards and that too at 90 degrees. I mean if both the buyer and seller are happy then all is well.

Anyways DIY while disassembling and assembling will save you some money. That is if you have the time and tools. All the best for restoration.
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:07   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
This is indeed a great thread about one of the legends of Indian motorcycling.

My uncle has a 1996 Yezdi Roadking in Bangalore. The bike is running fine but it is showing its age in terms of faded chrome and peeling paint.

Last weekend, I took it to a mechanic in Bangalore to check on the cost of buffing, chroming, powder coating and painting it. I was surprised, to say the least, to receive a quote of around 60k for the aforementioned job.

Admittedly, I am no expert in the matter, and so wanted to check in with the experts on the forum, is that a reasonable quote for the cosmetic work?
Any recommendations towards a good place to get the work done in Bangalore also would be much appreciated.
Hi -
If the bike is in good shape mechanically, i.e - starts in couple of kicks, smooth clutch , proper brakes and good electricals - I suggest you to keep it that way - just get the silencers chromed. Be prepared to spend time and money once you give the bike to the mechanic and it gets dismantled - you wont know where the parts are and many other situations can arise. Please research about the mechanic and read the restorations threads before taking the plunge!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks