Pros -
1. Absolutely stable vehicle
2. Dual exhausts
3. All gear starts
4. Two neutrals
5. Battery start

Cons -
1. Carbon contact points
2. Oil leaks - a visit to the parking lot and it was very easy to say that we owned a Bullet, an Yezdi or the RD 350.

It was a gentle and humble giant which died a slow, gradual and painful death. Had they been to sightly change themselves with respect to the competition from the JAPs maybe we would have still had it.
Centaur,

Your post brought back a flood of old memories....

If my memory is correct, the front and the rear wheels could be interchanged in a few models. And, there was a carrier for spare wheel! I remember being told that these were the specs defined for military requirements.

I also recollect that they tried to roll out models named 'ipzah' (which was actually 'yezdi' upside down).

One more bike during those was the 'mini' bullet... is it still around?

Leaking (hot) oil smell.... something else that is missed nowadays!!
Old 8th October 2013, 14:57   #62
BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Centaur,

Your post brought back a flood of old memories....

I also recollect that they tried to roll out models named 'ipzah' (which was actually 'yezdi' upside down).
There were no models called 'Ipzah', they were just 'Yezdi' badges turned around and placed on the tanks.
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 15:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Centaur,
If my memory is correct, the front and the rear wheels could be interchanged in a few models. And, there was a carrier for spare wheel! I remember being told that these were the specs defined for military requirements.
Thats correct. The wheels are interchangeable. If you look at what the bike had in those days you actually tend to feel that it was technologically advanced. I mean these days these features would have been propagated as USPs.
Old 4th November 2013, 16:53   #64
BHPian

Hi All,

Please find a few pics clicked in the Southern Raid 5 - Annual Yezdi Jawa owners meet, Yercaud.

srinikasyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 03:39   #65
BHPian

Hello everyone. Is anybody here from pune? I wanted to ask for a mechanic in pune for yezdi service/restoration. I have a yezdi 175cc in a beaten up condition. And am restoring it. Wanted some help. If anyone could suggest anything it would be helpful . Thank you.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:54   #66
BHPian

Hi Vaibhav,

You may want to check with Umesh Pawar of Sadguru service center on Sinhagad Road. His is RE authorised service center but I have seen him rebuilding Java / Yezdis too.

You can get the address, contact number etc from Royal Enfield website. Please PM me if you need more information.

Cheers!
Old 30th November 2013, 19:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

This thread brings back old memories. My father had a 72 Jawa and I learnt how to ride a geared bike on it. It had been re-bored, undergone a cylinder block change, the spark plugs lasted less than a year and clutch and accelerator cables even less. The brakes were none to good. However this bike could be fixed very easily. You always had a plug spanner and carried a spare spark plug and sand paper, which was also useful for fixing the CB points.

Then when I went to Pune for my MBA I bought a second hand Yezdi Delux. This bike took me to Goa on two occasions in addition to numerous trips to Mumbai, Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar and Alibaug. When money was short, I would run it on a mixture of Kerosene and Petrol. Since both the tyres were 16* 3.25, I would put the better tyre at the back. It was happiest on Highways where you did not have to use the clutch too much and cruised well between 70- 80 KPH. Anything more for more than 5-10 mins would flood the carb or the CB points would go bonkers.

My Yezdi also stood out from the rest on for a very different reason. If it started on a half kick, the flywheel would rotate backwards. Voila, this machine was famous as it had 4 forward gears and 4 reverse gears. I finally gave it away to my office peon one I got back to Delhi and wanted a bike that was more conducive to everyday city use and was more fuel efficient and reliable. I bought it for Rs. 7000 and sold it after 3 years for Rs 5100 after running it for 26000 Km.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 30th November 2013 at 19:23.
Old 19th December 2013, 21:18   #68
BHPian

Any puneri people here? Do you know any Yezdi/Jawa club in pune ?Btw I just found out that there are some unregistered Yezdis available near vashi. They were secured when the factory was knocked down. So if some of you guys want to buy a new Yezdi you may get your wishes fulfilled.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:25   #69
BHPian

what would be the cost and model????
Old 20th December 2013, 18:29   #70
BHPian

I have my reservations on the claim, its highly unlikely they were preserved in a time capsule for us! Even if they are available, what would be the condition considering they are unused and standing still for about 17 years.
Moroever, can they be registered with the RTO?

Last edited by Roomy : 20th December 2013 at 18:30.
Old 24th December 2013, 06:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
I have my reservations on the claim, its highly unlikely they were preserved in a time capsule for us! Even if they are available, what would be the condition considering they are unused and standing still for about 17 years.
Moroever, can they be registered with the RTO?
They cannot be registered as new bikes. Rather we need to use them with old papers.

Its illegal, but do we have an option????

The bikes would be rusty. Might need a complete overhaul of the engine..
Old 24th December 2013, 21:00   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
They cannot be registered as new bikes. Rather we need to use them with old papers.

Its illegal, but do we have an option????

The bikes would be rusty. Might need a complete overhaul of the engine..
Is it worth the trouble?
I would prefer a road legal Y/J that has seen the up's and downs over a illegal Y that has rotted away(technically never used!!)

suum cuique!
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 13:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth the trouble?
I would prefer a road legal Y/J that has seen the up's and downs over a illegal Y that has rotted away(technically never used!!)

suum cuique!
Depends on individual to individual. i would like to take a look at the condition, and decide.
Old 25th December 2013, 13:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav amlekar View Post
Hello everyone. Is anybody here from pune? I wanted to ask for a mechanic in pune for yezdi service/restoration. I have a yezdi 175cc in a beaten up condition. And am restoring it. Wanted some help. If anyone could suggest anything it would be helpful . Thank you.
Please contact Rafique mama in Hadapsar - his workshop is opposite Akashwani All India Radio on main Sholapur Road. His number is +919822494139. He is an old time expert on RD 350, RX, Yezdi, and Bullet, even though most of his work today is on Bullets and some RX total rebuilds.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 15:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth the trouble?

suum cuique!
Hello Roomy,
How many of the remaining Y/J's in Bangalore do you think are legal. I have seen most of the people twisting the arm of law to their own convenience to make the ride a legal one afaik on paper.
I myself did sell off my bike, a Jawa '72 model when the centre crankcase with the engine number on it got stolen at my mechs place. I had torn down the entire bike and started selling the parts when one guy decided to pick the entire lot. He has now manipulated the cover from another bike to such an extent that it hardly looks fishy. And now he is flaunting the new legal ride. So you never know what is legal on paper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks