Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 11:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

The only part in the Jawa or the yezdi which i have a dislike are the seats.However hard we try it looks too soft and kind of curved top.The first bike i remember in my life is a Jawa owned by my neighbour.He had upgraded to a yezdi later on.I love this bike so much that i am hunting for one now.
Old 11th June 2014, 14:13   #107
BHPian

are you based out of trivandrum? i have a lot of jawa, yezdi bikers out there in Trivandrum.
Old 20th June 2014, 13:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of this was posted here before,
Was it actually just 2.5 hp?
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-img20140620wa0000.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 13:28   #109
BHPian

Wow, thats one politically incorrect advert Looks pretty old though, 1970s / 80s?
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 19:14   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
... Was it actually just 2.5 hp?
Yup, just as the bullets were 3.5hp. wait, my rajdoot is 1.75hp as per RC i was confused much when all those British Ajs/ Matchless machines were referred as 3.5 by old timers.

cheers.,
Old 24th June 2014, 01:38   #111
BHPian

Here is my humble collection:
1967 Jawa 250 and 74 Yezdi Type B
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-jawa.jpg  

Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 09:56   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Here is my humble collection:
1967 Jawa 250 and 74 Yezdi Type B
good looking bikes. Jawa & model B???
Jawa doesnt have the jawa seat. will look more beautiful with that.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

You are here: Home » Supplements » Metrolife » The man and the machine
The man and the machine
NCG, Aug 04, 2014, DHNS:
Praneeth Perumal DH photo by SK Dinesh
Fifty-one-year-old Praneeth Perumal, an avid biker, still remembers riding on empty, almost deserted Bangalore roads in the 1980s when he could count the number of people on the road.

But today, he dreads riding within the City and whenever he gets the urge to do so, he takes off to the outskirts and heads straight to the hills.

Praneeth has been riding for as long as he can remember and has inspired many young men and women to hit the road with the same passion. “There were a lot of races that were held in the 1980s. A bunch of us would just decide and have a race. We would even modify the bikes to suit the roads. There was a thrill in handling real bikes and challenging ourselves to negotiate the toughest roads and hitting the non-motorable terrains,” explains Praneeth.

Praneeth still has a lot of young men and women who come to him, to pick up tips on riding and one thing that he reiterates is discipline on and off the road. “There’s definitely a certain thrill in speed but I stress that even speed must be exceeded in a disciplined manner. There must be respect for motosports and respect instills discipline,” stresses Praneeth.

He clearly thinks that youngsters need to have more respect for riding itself. “I’ve noticed that most of the young men hit the roads without basic safety gear such as wearing a helmet. All riders must first wear their safety jacket, helmet and then think about riding. This should be done not only for their safety but that of the fellow traveller,”
he says.

Every biker shares a special relationship with his machine. “The relationship between man and his machine in motosports is indeed special. When you decide to hit the race track and get on the bike, the first thing you do is to trust your machine and then focus on the road,” he shares.

Interestingly, the skeleton bike in Puneeth Rajkumar-starrer, ‘Anna Bond’, which caught the fancy of a lot of people, was conceptualised and designed by Praneeth, “I was given a very short time to design a bike. And I took inspiration from the bike in the ‘Ghost Rider’ and modified the basic concept to suit the local tastes. The skeleton bike, I understand, has become a huge hit,” he signs off.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:27   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The advertised 2.5 hp may have been the "Tax Horsepower".

I am just guessing but a large number of countries used a "Tax Horsepower" which they applied to vehicles to calculate how much tax was owed to the government. As far as I know, many still do.

These "Tax Horsepower" values often had (has?) nothing to do with the actual horsepower the engine makes.

It was often calculated by using the bore size times the number of cylinders times, or divided by some strange number the government picked out of the air.

For instance, the early British method did not even calculate the displacement of the engine. Rather, they just squared the piston diameter (in inches), multiplied the result times the number of cylinders and divided that answer by 2.5.

By doing this silliness, they decided the 1930 supercharged 4.5 liter Bentley had a RAC horsepower rating of 24.8.
The actual horsepower was around 110 bhp.

For those interested, Google "RAC tax Horsepower". Bear in mind that each country has their own way of calculating their tax for a vehicle.

Now, getting back to the Jawa.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 20:43   #115

This is a nice post and with almost full list of Ideal Jawa models, I have been working towards projecting best of Jawa technology innovation in motorcycle category. Your list is great to lookup, if possible it would have helped further if we can add the model year timelines.

Currently I have acquired 3 different models from (1986, 1979, 1977) and another 3 models (1957, 1973, 1983) are in negotiation. Aim is to restore them to original and use for education purpose (Journey of Ideas to Innovation) in its respective category. I have planned to cover from this make from 1935 to 1990's and thought this forum would be good help to check for Jawa-yezdi motorcycle that can be bought for restoration(even if in bad shape), provided they have valid documents and save them cutters/scrapyard.

This is amazing to find so many Jawa - Yezdi enthusiast here on Team-BHP! They are true motorcycle for India even today! I ride my Yezdi CLII everyday.

Thanks for the post again!
Old 14th August 2014, 10:28   #116
BHPian

Quote:
In older days, hp means cc/100 : 250/100 is 2.5
srinikasyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 12:08   #117
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
In older days, hp means cc/100 : 250/100 is 2.5

Haha, I read arizonajims explaination and was like did those people really think so much and then you come with a bang on one line explaination which makes so much more sense!
+1 to you my friend!
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 12:16   #118
BHPian

Guys, need your help and expert advice. We have a 87 classic yezdi. It was completely restored in 2004, used for sometime and then dad unfortunately could not use it at all. Now the condition is not that good and would need a complete restoration again - maybe not an engine work, but the exteriors will surely need to be worked on which I think would cost around 30k or so if I am not mistaken since it costed 25k in 2004 with an engine work.

Its already 26 years old, which means I would also need to get its road worthiness done at the RTO and all the other formalities as well The papers are intact apart from this one thing of road worthiness and is currently registered in Turbhe/Chembur (not exactly sure which one). The bike is in Mumbai and we are shifting base to Pune in the next 2-3 weeks. So some queries running on my mind -

1. Scrap of the bike - what exactly is the process and is there any trust worthy scrap dealer in Pune
2. Try to sell the bike - given the condition of the bike and the registration renewal not sure how many would want to buy it in the first place.
3. Restore and keep it - again would need me to go through the RTO work and spend on the restoration. I dont have any contact in the RTO to get this process done smoothly and would need to take the bike back to the RTO in Mumbai the same (right?)

Any other option I can look at?

MODS - If this is OT, request you to please merge it with the appropriate thread as I did not find one on searching

Last edited by centaur : 16th August 2014 at 12:17.
Old 16th August 2014, 13:35   #119
BHPian

Re: Jawa Yezdi Bikes...

Very interesting thread indeed... Amazed to see the Youtube Video of Bangalore Yezdi Riders Club... I'm considering to acquire a Jawa Yezdi 250 RoadKing if available in the neighborhood... A few questions however..

1. What is the typical Kmpl that one can expect out of this brute??
2. Are their enough qualified mechanics / service centres around??
3. What about spare-parts and accessories, how easy/ difficult to obtain them??
4. What is the average maintenance cost per year??
5. Since these are two stroke engines, Oil-Mixed with Fuels?? I'm assuming no regular visits to the service centre every 3 months / 3000 kms alike the Jap bikes..
6. Actual BHP of the vehicle?

What caused the Jawa Yezdi brand, Product to go downhill ?? With so many admirers, i'm sure there was a ready market for the vehicle... Why did the product fail after its initial success from the 60's to the 80's...

Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 13:36   #120
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
1. Scrap of the bike - what exactly is the process and is there any trust worthy scrap dealer in Pune
2. Try to sell the bike - given the condition of the bike and the registration renewal not sure how many would want to buy it in the first place.
3. Restore and keep it - again would need me to go through the RTO work and spend on the restoration. I dont have any contact in the RTO to get this process done smoothly and would need to take the bike back to the RTO in Mumbai the same (right?)
[/b]
1. There is no such process, the scrap dealers just open the whole bikes, sell the parts which are sellable and throw away the rest. Parts of the classic in good condition can be worth a good amount of money.
2. There are many buyers for Yezdis now a days, and even though your paperwork is a mess, if you put it out at a reasonable price on olx or quikr, I am sure you'll get some good buyers. Yezdis when I was in college 4 years ago where available for 5-7k. Now they're worth almost 20-30k with people quoting a lakh for Roadkings!!!
3. To restore and keep it is what I would do but that would require a lot of time and patience. If you want someone to get the restoration done for you, I can help but you're on your own with the paperwork, which if you're ready to spend a lil' cash, some agent will take care of without you needing to take the bike to Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks