Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 15:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont want to start a new thread for this, and so am posting here....

I have a 2004 model P180 DTSi (the one many call the best Pulsar )....

I want to modify it a bit...especially for performance.... I dont mind losing the top end a bit.... My preference is the low end acceleration...

Of course, K&N filters is one solution..... and free flow exhausts....

What abt the rest ??

What abt rejetting the carbs ?? What is the stock jet size in a P180 DTSi ?? Any idea ??

And anyone know of a good place in Bangalore where I can get it done ??

Oh, another thing...

How will this affect my mileage ?? As it is, I struggle to get anything more than 33-35.....
Old 5th October 2006, 18:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
How will this affect my mileage ?? As it is, I struggle to get anything more than 33-35.....
If mileage is a concern for you, scrap the idea of performance mods. Its very difficult to strike a chord between performance and FE. If you gain one, you lose the other and vice versa. Bangalore is full of mod men. I dont think you will have difficulty finding them.
Old 5th October 2006, 18:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah.... I know.... It was a silly question wasnt it :P

And another important thing...how much would these mods cost me ??
Old 6th October 2006, 01:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
K&N filters is one solution..... and free flow exhausts....

What abt the rest ??

What abt rejetting the carbs ?? What is the stock jet size in a P180 DTSi ?? Any idea ??

And anyone know of a good place in Bangalore where I can get it done ??

Oh, another thing...

K&N should ideally increase your FE but as you tend to rev more to hear the sound and cause of the increase in acceleration your FE also goes down.you should get it for around 2250.bout free flow id suggest you dont go in for one unless your gettin it custom made from AN EXPERT.

rejetting will definitly result in a drop in FE and since you dont want that no point in thinking about it.

Rev

ps how is it that you dont get more than 35 ? whats your driving style ?
Old 6th October 2006, 14:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Will only a K&N air filter give me a noticeable performance boost ??

And abt my driving style....lol... the less said the better

I basically travel to college and back and the roads are quite decent and I simply cant stop my right wrist from wringing the throttle I basically enjoy my bike to the fullest.... I rev the engine quite a lot....I bounce off the rev limiter often :P
Old 6th October 2006, 18:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will only a K&N air filter give me a noticeable performance boost ??
Any free flow airfilter will give you a performance boost provided you increase fuel intake as well. Else the bike will might return good FE figures and run lean due to higher air intake.
Old 6th October 2006, 22:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

and by increasing fuel intake, you mean, I should run the bike slightly richer ??
Old 2nd December 2006, 21:51   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

There are three K&N Air filters
R 1060
RC 1060
RC 1120

1). What is the difference between these ??

2). I will HAVE to upjet my carburettor jets after fitting the K&N right ??

3). After installing the K&N and upjetting, how much of a performance boost can I expect ?? My bike is very sluggish beyond a 100.

4). what is the Average fuel efficiency I can expect after these mods ?? Decent riding, keeping the revs to below 6K RPM for 85% of the time.

5). After this, do I need to install free flow exhaust ??

6). How will a Free Flow exhaust help me ?? I am interested only in performance and not in sound......
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I looked at the K&N website(which I must say is horrible if you are a newbie) and the only difference between the RC 1060 and R 1060 is that the RC has a metal top while the R1060 has a rubber top.

The RC 1120 is a different type of air filter. It is a Round Straight Universal Air Filter whereas the 1060s are Round Tapered Universal Air Filters.

What is the difference between these two ??

And the dimensions of the RC 1120 is also different.... What is the effect on performance ?? Which of these three will give me best performance ??
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

help me here guys......
Old 4th December 2006, 11:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
There are three K&N Air filters
R 1060
RC 1060
RC 1120

1). What is the difference between these ??

2). I will HAVE to upjet my carburettor jets after fitting the K&N right ??

3). After installing the K&N and upjetting, how much of a performance boost can I expect ?? My bike is very sluggish beyond a 100.

4). what is the Average fuel efficiency I can expect after these mods ?? Decent riding, keeping the revs to below 6K RPM for 85% of the time.

5). After this, do I need to install free flow exhaust ??

6). How will a Free Flow exhaust help me ?? I am interested only in performance and not in sound......
1. I guess you already know C = chrome plate, 1120 = cylindrical.

2. If you dont upjet, Your engine will run leaner, hence more mileage but will seize very very shortly and you'll have the feeling of not enough petrol during riding the bike. for ex at WOT, you'll feel as if the petrol ran out.

3. If you run free flow filter, your bike will rev more, but lost out initial and midrange a bit.

4. You'll get lower mileage obviously do whatever u want, low mileage is inevitable.

5. No need, but you can put one if u want more perf.

6. Free flow helps your engine throw away waste air faster. thus increasing performance....

Quote:
And the dimensions of the RC 1120 is also different....
dimensions doesnt matter, total surface area matters. more surface area, more air flow.

Quote:
and by increasing fuel intake, you mean, I should run the bike slightly richer ??
HOHOHOHO you'll have to run TONS richer than usual just to keep the engine from running lean and seizing after u fit K&N
Old 4th December 2006, 14:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

aha..... see who has joined

And I know the technical difference between the 3 filters...but what does it mean in layman's terms.....

what use is a cylindrical filter over a regular one ??
Old 4th December 2006, 15:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]RC-1120 Product Specifications[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]Product Style: Round Straight Universal Air Filter
Flange Inside Diameter: 1.688 in (43 mm)

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]RC-1060 Product Specifications[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Flange Inside Diameter: 1.938 in (49 mm)

RC1060 is meant for carbs with bigger mouths i think.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 4th December 2006, 16:16   #29
BHPian

guys ,dunno whether its rite or not but the bajaj service guy told that putting k&n in the bike can increase the chance of dust in the engine and can damage it..Somebody put lights on it..I'd a k&n in my 180, now for the time being i've put the stock one..
Old 4th December 2006, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
guys ,dunno whether its rite or not but the bajaj service guy told that putting k&n in the bike can increase the chance of dust in the engine and can damage it..Somebody put lights on it..I'd a k&n in my 180, now for the time being i've put the stock one..
yup you are 100% correct. hold the K&N in bright sunlight and see thru the hole where u fix the carburetor...yu'll see millions of tiny light coming, which indicated it ahs holes. do the test with a stock filter, no light. this proves filter allows dust to come inside.

Most Viewed