Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 21:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Baby Ceeber comes home! Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I have attached a pic with this post. It is just a bolt-on job - no welding required at all. I had removed the left side fairing to get easy access and fit it without any hassle. You can contact rk_sans for more information if need be.
Wow! That's a pretty good job they've done! I've sent rk_sans a pm about this. Should I get one fabricated locally or if it isn't much trouble, would it be possible to courier another example like this from Bangalore to Cochin?
Old 19th July 2012, 10:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Thanks! I'm aching to remove the saree guard but isn't it illegal to drive around without a saree guard? If it isn't mandatory, I'm getting rid of it.
Heard somewhere that as per law its illegal to sell the bike without saree guard. This provides a loophole to ride it without one. In any case, mine came without saree guard. The dealership provided me the saree guard to carry home, maybe as a proof of their innocence.

No one has stopped me for that till now, so doesn't look to be an issue.

Enjoy the ride, the pain in wrists will go away!!
needmorebhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Heard somewhere that as per law its illegal to sell the bike without saree guard. This provides a loophole to ride it without one. No one has stopped me for that till now, so doesn't look to be an issue.
The saree guard in all my bikes come off before taking delivery if its a new bike and the very day of taking delivery if its a used bike.

Reason - No one wearing saree/traditional outfit sits on the pillion seat of my ride. Mostly it will be solo and when my wife travels with me she is in jeans and riding jacket and fully outfitted like the rider.

Have not had issues with any cops anywhere till now about the saree guard. So if you too don't see the need of the saree guard, remove it without any worries.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 13:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Heard somewhere that as per law its illegal to sell the bike without saree guard. This provides a loophole to ride it without one. In any case, mine came without saree guard. The dealership provided me the saree guard to carry home, maybe as a proof of their innocence.

No one has stopped me for that till now, so doesn't look to be an issue.

Enjoy the ride, the pain in wrists will go away!!
That's good news! I'm going to remove that abomination of a saree guard from my bike this evening itself. I hate that saree guard- it easily succeeds in ruining the bike's looks. My wrists don't hurt too much anymore nowadays. Guess I've grown used to the riding stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
...Reason - No one wearing saree/traditional outfit sits on the pillion seat of my ride. Mostly it will be solo and when my wife travels with me she is in jeans and riding jacket and fully outfitted like the rider.

Have not had issues with any cops anywhere till now about the saree guard. So if you too don't see the need of the saree guard, remove it without any worries.
The same is the case with me too. No woman wearing a saree will be sitting on my CBR's pillion. My mom prefers my brother's Avenger's pillion anyway.
Thanks for clearing up my doubt. I'll be taking that thing off my ride today itself.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That's a pretty good job they've done! I've sent rk_sans a pm about this. Should I get one fabricated locally or if it isn't much trouble, would it be possible to courier another example like this from Bangalore to Cochin?
Yes, hopefully rk_sans can provide you with more info. I'll try and check with him offline.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 15:24   #36
BHPian

Nice bike.
Congrats on the buy.
What was the calling shot to ditch the bullet to get this.
I understand Honda engineering but what more?
I badly want to do a test drive the CBR, but none available in Chennai.

I hear a lot of people including me are stuck between the bullet and the CBR, but most of them went for the CBR thanks to the waiting list issue with bullet. Not one said they regretted buying the CBR over the bull. That's made my life miserable

You say it slowly grows on you and that's exactly what it does. Hope to do a TD to find for myself. But 35K+ more is a little too much on my pocket.

Thanks for your opinion. Hope to see more pictures. Enjoy
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 17:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I badly want to do a test drive the CBR, but none available in Chennai
Where're you put up? If you can join us on a Sunday morning ride, you can get a chance to ride my C250R.

Quote:
That's made my life miserable
Not me...even after the engine seizure

Quote:
But 35K+ more is a little too much on my pocket
Trust me...you'll forget it in few weeks;

And...one cannot compare a RE with CBR 250R; is like comparing a classic modern & modern classic.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 22:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Nice bike.
Congrats on the buy.
What was the calling shot to ditch the bullet to get this.
I understand Honda engineering but what more?
I badly want to do a test drive the CBR, but none available in Chennai.

I hear a lot of people including me are stuck between the bullet and the CBR, but most of them went for the CBR thanks to the waiting list issue with bullet. Not one said they regretted buying the CBR over the bull. That's made my life miserable

You say it slowly grows on you and that's exactly what it does. Hope to do a TD to find for myself. But 35K+ more is a little too much on my pocket.

Thanks for your opinion. Hope to see more pictures. Enjoy
I was torn between the RE and the CBR too. What made me switch over was an incident that had occurred when I had the C3 for a weekend test ride.

My friend had tried starting the C3 with the electric start by keeping the switch pressed down for a long time (more than 10 seconds) and the carburetor blew off the hinges. Sure, that must have been because the bike was jetted lean or due to the wrong way in which he started the bike, but neither me nor my friend had any clue of what had happened at that time. The bike didn't start despite whatever we tried. Later on the morning after next, I spotted that the carburetor had split through and it was a five minute job in slotting it back to place.

That sounded like a harbinger of bad things to come with an RE for me. I thought about it deeply and after consulting with another friend who had previously owned a C5 and then sold it to buy a CBR, I decided to change sides.
The long waiting period was a turn off too. The RE dealers just kept postponing the delivery- they didn't even have concrete dates available. I had booked in Feb and they promised to deliver on last of June. On last of June, they said that the time of delivery would be last of September I don't mind long waiting periods, but this kind of postponement ticks me off big time.

If you haven't bought a Classic or a CBR, don't drop buying the CBR just because it's 37 grand dearer. Put it in this way- that 37K represents far better components, materials, paint, mechanical components, premium on the Honda badge and most importantly, infinitely better peace of mind. The last point alone had clinched the deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not me...even after the engine seizure
I had read about it- that was one terrible incident which had made booking for a Classic seem like a better choice. Later on, reading your experiences with the new engine- that was quite a big relief.

Quote:
Trust me...you'll forget it in few weeks;
Oddly, that's kind of true.

Quote:
And...one cannot compare a RE with CBR 250R; is like comparing a classic modern & modern classic.
Hmm.. for me it's been like this- buy the Classic when you follow your heart and when you come to your senses and the head takes over and hey! There's a CBR in your garage!
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 23:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....infinitely better peace of mind. The last point alone had clinched the deal for me.
Trust me on this one! Totally agree. Infinitely better peace of mind. I own an RE Thunderbird btw.

Quote:
I had read about it- that was one terrible incident which had made booking for a Classic seem like a better choice. Later on, reading your experiences with the new engine- that was quite a big relief.
Guess aargee is one of the biggest fans of the CBR 250R now
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 08:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. for me it's been like this- buy the Classic when you follow your heart and when you come to your senses and the head takes over and hey! There's a CBR in your garage!
Then its simple choice, go ahead & buy your bull no matter how long it takes. But later don't regret when a CBR passes by you

That's why I always keep saying - DEFINE the purpose & know yourself; what do you love the most? "There's no tomorrow" or "World can wait"? If you belong to former, then CBR otherwise the Bull. If you fall something in between saying, I occasionally burst then take a call as when you burst out, what's your priority? If you want speed & control, then CBR; if you think, I burst, but stay within controls, then Bull
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 15:29   #41
BHPian

Despite the "avant garde" from RE, the refinement in cruising at 3 digit speeds on a Honda is something else.

I would like to think that Torque-mongers and retro style lovers would go for the Bull, more than high speed cruisers.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 15:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new bike ! Looks real nice and inviting !! Every time I see the thread my mind keeps fluctuating between CBR250 and Thunderbird, thinking about which one will be my next. Two different bikes in two totally different leagues, I can't make up my mind.

P.S: Just curious, did you try the recently launched CBR150R?

Quote:
Lol!!! My CBR has clocked 28960 Kms in 12 months I switched to DOT 4 at approximately 22760 before starting my GQ trip.
Wow, you are a hard core biker to the hilt !! You seem to be enjoying your bike inspite the issues that cropped up. Do you ride 24 x 7?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 22:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Then its simple choice, go ahead & buy your bull no matter how long it takes. But later don't regret when a CBR passes by you

That's why I always keep saying - DEFINE the purpose & know yourself; what do you love the most? "There's no tomorrow" or "World can wait"? If you belong to former, then CBR otherwise the Bull. If you fall something in between saying, I occasionally burst then take a call as when you burst out, what's your priority? If you want speed & control, then CBR; if you think, I burst, but stay within controls, then Bull
Well said! That's a good way of putting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Despite the "avant garde" from RE, the refinement in cruising at 3 digit speeds on a Honda is something else.

I would like to think that Torque-mongers and retro style lovers would go for the Bull, more than high speed cruisers.
Cruising on the Honda's kind of addictive. Late night runs on the highway have become a daily norm before going to sleep.

I'm a torque lover but I didn't feel that the C3 had much of it. I've heard people saying that the new UCE engine produces less torque than the older CI engines. The 500's another story- that thing is a torque addict's dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congrats on the new bike ! Looks real nice and inviting !! Every time I see the thread my mind keeps fluctuating between CBR250 and Thunderbird, thinking about which one will be my next. Two different bikes in two totally different leagues, I can't make up my mind.

P.S: Just curious, did you try the recently launched CBR150R?
Ah, the CBR150R- I had taken one out for a long spin while I was considering switching over to the 250. The first thing I had felt that it was a bit more svelte, lighter and smaller than the 250- it was easier to flick around.

I felt that it was even more impotent at the lower end than its bigger sibling. I had to rev it pretty high for it to perform- much more than I had to rev the 250. I was very uncomfortable doing it but the engine seemed to love it- keeping in mind with Honda's tradition of rev happy mills. Doesn't sound as unstressed as the 250 at higher speeds.

On checking out the spec sheet after the test ride, I was astounded to see that the peak power of 17.8 hp is produced at 10,500 rpm! The torque also comes in late at 8500 rpm. This thing would be a total pain in the traffic for sure. Unless I'm very much mistaken, this is an even more rev hungry bike than the track focused R15.

Overall, I found it to be a bit of an anomaly. It's like the engine wants to rev to the moon and race but the body and chassis isn't quite as ready- wrong soul trapped in the wrong body. Also, it's trying to do be a tourer, commuter and a racer at the same time resulting in a muddled identity.

The worst thing I feel about this ride is its pricing. It's more expensive than both the Duke and the iconic R15. Another sore point is that the switchgear's mighty similar (maybe the same) to that of the CBF Stunner. I had noticed this in the showroom display where all the Honda bikes were kept.

I felt that if I'm spending this much, it would be better to take the plunge and spring for the C250R instead.

Quote:
Wow, you are a hard core biker to the hilt !! You seem to be enjoying your bike inspite the issues that cropped up. Do you ride 24 x 7?
He sure is seriously focused. I was astounded when he said that he clocked in almost 29K in a year!! The GQ trip he had made is a huge testimony to his fortitude and skill as a biker and to the level of reliability of the C250R. Almost 6000 kms in about 5 days- it took more than a year to clock 6000 kms on my family's Honda City! Amazing indeed.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 20th July 2012 at 22:08.
Old 20th July 2012, 22:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you ride 24 x 7?
Lol!!! No All I rode was about 80 Km to Srilanka (on the sands of Gulf of Mannar) to 80 Kms to Pakistan (Jaisalmer); a few trips here & there between TN & KL & then this GQ

Quote:
Well said! That's a good way of putting it.
Thanks

Quote:
I was astounded when he said that he clocked in almost 29K in a year!!
Err...what's there to astound? Anyone can do it

Quote:
The GQ trip he had made is a huge testimony to his fortitude and skill as a biker and to the level of reliability of the C250R
Saar...big deal!!! Anyone can do it
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:07   #45
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase evilmessiah. The red colour sure looks mean and I would buy CBR if it is a sedate performer. But, I guess I'm wrong here.

-So, Any mods planned or not?
-What about the long-term distances?
-How 'bout rider and pillion comfort?
-How is the handling?

Please, I really want answers to these questions. Would be obliged if you would answer.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks