Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 17:44   #16
BANNED

re: Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!

Slightly

Just went to the home page of Team-BHP and found my thread of Karizma on the "Hot Threads" part.

Never imagined my thread to get featured in that section.

Sincere THANKS to all MODS for this respect given.

For the fun sake attaching a screen shot taken of the homepage.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-picture1.png

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th July 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Adding a Screenshot
Old 28th July 2012, 10:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great review anurag. Wonderful touring bike isn't it? Even after so many years, it is difficult to match the comfort this one provides on long rides. If I was not smitten by Avenger, I would have gone for this one.

Cheers and many more happy mile munchings with the beast.

Ride Safe.
Old 28th July 2012, 15:20   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Great review anurag. Wonderful touring bike isn't it? Even after so many years, it is difficult to match the comfort this one provides on long rides. If I was not smitten by Avenger, I would have gone for this one.

Cheers and many more happy mile munchings with the beast.

Ride Safe.

Thanks Vibbs!

A beautiful tourer (rather Handsome Tourer) and till date out of all the bikes driven yet other than the Unicorn I can't find the comfort the ZMA gives. Perfect seat softness, width and length.
Old 28th July 2012, 18:55   #19
BHPian

A very forthright review indeed.

I am a fan of the ZMA too - it is a very well rounded package. The engine feels great at low speeds and gear box is all snickety snick. You will notice the lack of power when you start climbing a flyover in 5th, the motor is easily fazed and drops back to 80 kph. There just isnt enough power to aggressively attack an incline. And you are absolutely right the motor starts losing its famous composure a bit past the 90 kph mark. On relatively flat or rolling terrain, it is quite easy and unstressful to maintain speeds between 90 and 100 kph. For most road conditions, this is more than fast enough. For all I know, that lack of oomph in the top end is the secret of its user friendliness - you have to try hard to get into trouble with this bike. Yet there is enough performance to challenge the regular Joe. On the hills, you will realize that there isnt much point in gunning the motor. Just learn to be in the right gear to exploit that mid range and you will be making rapid progress with seemingly little effort. The strength of this motor is best exploited by using a light throttle hand.

When all is said and done, it is destined to be a classic. Or may be it is one already, because even after all these years and after so many new bikes that have risen to challenge, the ZMA remains relevant.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Superb Review of one of the best Indian Bikes.

I had rode the Karizma only once till date, but that ride is still fresh in my mind. I owned a CBZ and i used to love that bike till one day i got a friends Karizma. Wring that throttle and the bike responded beautifully. I still remember that on a saturday morning, 7AM to be precise, i got on the Karizma with a friend at Santacruz and had to reach Goregaon. I called mom and asked her to prepare coffee and i'll reach within minutes and reach i did, in 10 minutes flat. I was doing 120 on the Odo (not advised within city limits due to haphazard traffic and bad roads) but that day i just couldnt control the urge not to revv it. Simply Superb. Amazing bike.
Old 31st July 2012, 00:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Superb Review of one of the best Indian Bikes.

I had rode the Karizma only once till date, but that ride is still fresh in my mind. I owned a CBZ and i used to love that bike till one day i got a friends Karizma. Wring that throttle and the bike responded beautifully.Simply Superb. Amazing bike.
It does respond to the throttle very quickly and precisely without any jerks and thanks to its long wheelbase the handling is heavenly and inspires more confidence.

I love this bike still and just magine how much fun it would be with the big boys.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 19:06   #22
BANNED

Hello Guys!

My bike has developed two problems off late.

It is being used once a week and the rest of the times it sits idle.

1) The ignition/lock setup has developed a loose contact and goes ON/OFF over potholes. My question is how much will a replacement cost and what all must be changed?

2) The whole digital console flickers and goes OFF when the brakes are pressed or a flasher is used. Where does the problem lie? Is the battery dead or the alternator gone kaput which is not able to charge the battery?.

Anurag.
Old 5th March 2013, 22:39   #23
BANNED

In my previous post the problem 2 was solved by changing the battery!

Battery changed from the stock battery (Amco - 7Ah) to an Exide (7Ah) with 18 months warranty.

Got the battery for 1200 after exchanging with my older one. ALL is WELL with the bike. It works like a charm!

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 26th May 2013, 17:53   #24
BANNED

A long needed Update!

After a long gap went for a ride meet on my Karizma. Thanks to Mobike008 for organizing the meet and getting all set for things to progress on smoothly.

The ride was planned to visit the Medak Church which is around 110 kms from the city (For me it came down to 96 kms one way). The other participants were Mobike008 on his Maroon Marauder (RE Classic 500); Xydon on his RE Classic 500 and Insearch who was on his RE Thunderbird 500. We all met up at Suchitra junction at 06:40 am and started the ride towards the church. Onwards we took the NH 7 and proceeded 70 kms where we cut left to reach the church at Medak. At a few places we were confused about the route so we consulted a few locals and got the route right. Roads were beautiful and covered with large trees that were not letting the sunlight reach the road. At a scenic place we stopped by the side to take a break and replenish our fluids. Finally at 08:50 am we reached the Medak Church.

Took our rides to a spot so that we can capture them into our cameras with the beautiful church structure that is 99 years old and the main structure (bell tower) stands 175 feet high and is breath taking. .

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20130525-08.45.23.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20130525-08.26.45.jpg

After a chat with each other and knowing each other a little more we then went out to have breakfast (Poori and Sabji with ThumbsUp ). The welcome drink was served by Insearch - A chill Roohafza. Post the breakfast we got back onto our rides and started back for the city through the Narsapur Forest which is another twisty breathtaking route. This route can be taken if you need to check your bike's handling skills and your skills. Mind you not to push hard as the roads are narrow and the oncoming heavy vehicles occupy the whole road forcing you down on the mud. I had ball of a time trying to check how my Karizma handles and Yes I can vouch for it. Amazing planted feel and stable. I was not pushing hard as my front tyre was old and needed a change.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20130525-08.26.27.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20130525-08.28.10.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20130525-08.28.30.jpg

Will be waiting for the next ride meet and explore further places

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anurag, apologies to hijack your thread.

I am looking to buy a bike for city use mainly and some long highway trips. Leh has been on my mind for a couple of years now but taking the ninja or used bullets whose condition is unknown has kept me away.

I don't know when i will end up buying one but as of now in the research mode.

I was thinking of the Avenger but heard it is not as comfy as it looks, so switched to the Karizma.

I understand it's a lovely tourer but any niggles and issues? How responsive are the service technicians? I understand this bike has a lot of starting issues, esp. during cold starts?

I prefer a bullet-proof bike just like my ninja and hate any kind of breakdown's and such.

The Karizma is sold with alloy wheels and tubeless tires, right?

Anything else you feel i should know about this bike?

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th September 2013 at 14:37.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hi Anurag, apologies to hijack your thread.

I am looking to buy a bike for city use mainly and some long highway trips. Leh has been on my mind for a couple of years now but taking the ninja or used bullets whose condition is unknown has kept me away.

I don't know when i will end up buying one but as of now in the research mode.

I was thinking of the Avenger but heard it is not as comfy as it looks, so switched to the Karizma.

I understand it's a lovely tourer but any niggles and issues? How responsive are the service technicians? I understand this bike has a lot of starting issues, esp. during cold starts?

I prefer a bullet-proof bike just like my ninja and hate any kind of breakdown's and such.

The Karizma is sold with alloy wheels and tubeless tires, right?

Anything else you feel i should know about this bike?
Karizma is a great bike. Will definitely suit your usage.Super reliable.

Cold start: It can be sorted by using NGK irridium plug (cannot exactly remember the name, costs around 500 )
Tyres are unfortunately not tubeless
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Slightly OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Since you are already happy with the services provided by Bajaj to your Ninja, any reason why P220 was not chosen?

Karizma is definitely a good bike for city ride and a very good tourer as well. But upfront it lags the rear wide tyres and the disc compared to P220.

Just trying to understand why you are planning for Karizma specifically than a P220. since i am eyeing at a P220 for sometime, your thoughts may help me decide.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, will not drag it with OT anymore.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Since you are already happy with the services provided by Bajaj to your Ninja, any reason why P220 was not chosen?
Well, from what i have heard there seem to be far too many niggles with the bajaj bikes. Add to it, the pulsar's are not as smooth as the honda engines.

This is only my perception and I haven't ridden both bikes extensively to decide as yet.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 16:26   #29
BHPian

Thanks, I forget that the current version of Karizma comes with disc for the back wheel as well. Anyways, wish you all the best in buying a new bike

Last edited by BulZire : 30th September 2013 at 16:28.
Old 30th September 2013, 20:31   #30
BHPian

Karizma (carb version)
Pros:
Bullet proof engine+gearbox
Well balanced suspension
Very good electrics, esp full DC
more confidence inspiring handling than most other bikes in it's price range, except RTR
relaxed riding experience
ample low and mid range torque

Cons:
low FE when ripped(carb version)
expensive spares eg brake pads, disk, chain sprocket etc.
stupid, idiotically flimsy plastics
out right dangerous rear tyre esp in wet (zapper Y. if you get zapper c it is good)
Not many choices of rubber in 18" tubeless tyres
New version looks damn ugly
poor resale value

ZMR is definetly not a value for money option
1.2L can get you much better(powerful) bikes
Karizma is best bought second hand (lateral upgrade-GTO )

I have '05 Karizma and '08 R15.
I had two pulsars in past. Bajaj engines are still way behind Honda engines in refinement.
Rakesh_R, avid tourer, just sold his 2008 P220 and bought used karizma (2012)

I won't go for P220 over zma except for higher top speed.
motionfreak is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks