Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 00:23   #61
BHPian

re: Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Parts to be procured and changed:

1) Cover A and B - Right Side
2) Cover A and B - Left Side
3) 60/55W Phillips Xtreme vision or Osram Night breaker with relays
4) LED bulbs for the tail lamps and indicators.

As it is post festival and ASC and spares stockist was closed, I will be visiting Venkateshwara Agencies and Sri Krishna Agencies for the covers tomorrow.

Can someone identify the part and the source of the problem?!
So I will be waiting for you there(Opp shalimar Function hall) at 5:30pm.
Did you call the stockist(Uppal) on the contact number I gave you ?

Brake issue can be solved easily.
Old 5th November 2013, 00:28   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
So I will be waiting for you there (Opp shalimar Function hall) at 5:30 pm.
Are you free in the morning or afternoon post 1 pm?

Quote:
Did you call the stockist (Uppal) on the contact number I gave you ?
Diwali Holiday Saar!

Quote:
Brake issue can be solved easily.
How? Any pointers?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th November 2013 at 00:34.
Old 5th November 2013, 00:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

So should I order both or only the Major will do?

Just was surfing XBhp Karizma thread and found the service catalogue.

Here it is:

Attachment 1162028

Attachment 1162029

Anurag.
The part number labelled as 12 is what you will need. Only the major kit will do. But since you're overhauling the brakes, might as well do the whole thing in one go is my opinion.

The Major Kit refers to the Master Cylinder components while the Minor Kit refers to the Caliper end components.
Old 5th November 2013, 00:42   #64
BHPian

[quote=a4anurag;3284249]
Quote:
Are you free in the morning or afternoon post 1 pm?
I can be there only between 5:00pm to 6:00pm, also there will be traffic restrictions from 7:00pm onwards in near-by areas as there is some sardar utsav mela being held in YMCA.(Mentioned in today's newspaper)

Quote:
Diwali Holiday Saar!
We Hyderabadis are very lazy, no ?

Quote:
How? Any pointers?
Did you get the brake fluid changed ? There are several other reasons :-
Old fluid, sticking caliper pins and so on...
Old 5th November 2013, 00:45   #65
BANNED

Quote:
We Hyderabadis are very lazy, no ?
I love Hyderabad and Hyderabadi's and I am a hardcore Hyderabadi minus the food eating and loving habits.

Quote:
Did you get the brake fluid changed ? There are several other reasons :- Old fluid, sticking caliper pins and so on...
I did bleed and change the brake fluid at 10K kms.

As my mechanic told that he wants to check the calliper tomorrow morning if he is free then the work on the brakes would start and finding the root cause and the needed parts would be changed.

Anurag.
Old 6th November 2013, 13:41   #66
BANNED

Update:

Went to all of Hyderabad ASC and Spares dealers for the Right and left side covers (Air filter and battery cover to be precise) but no use. None of them have stocks and have to be ordered with 5-10% courier charges of the total bill amount that will be borne by the customer (The stockist says that the part will be shipped directly from the manufacturing unit to the desired stockist).

Can someone give me the costs that will be for the two covers that I need?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---> Just bought myself a protective head gear - LS2 FF 351 93-Poker helmet. rated at 4 stars by 'SHARP'.

Repairs left:

1) Front disc brake Major kit to be changed as it is hard after slight travel of the lever. Shoeb a.k.a interc00led has confirmed that it is the major kit that has to be changed in my bike. Will be getting that done as well at the mechanic where 'interc00led' knows. Can someone point out the cost of this? My mechanic says approximately 400 bucks but the spares stockist says 1100 bucks. Please help!

Upgrades planned:

1) LED bulbs:
a) Pilot lamps
b) Tail lamps
c) Indicators (All 4)

2) Headlamp upgrade: The guy who looks after my bike says 60/55 W is not possible and it is better to install a HID kit (35/35 W) that could be costing between 1 - 1.1 K.

--> Need suggestions here, Should I go for a Phillips Xtreme vision or a Osram NB+ or go for the HID Kit.

--> Also can someone point out the Advantages and Disadvantages of the HID Kit and the Advantages and Disadvantages of installing 60/55 W lamp.

3) Tyres: Suggestions to pour in.

Anurag.
Old 6th November 2013, 23:31   #67
BHPian

Yes, the major kit does cost Rs.1100/- as the master cylinder and it's spares is imported.
Some good quality aftermarket parts are available which we can use.
Only upon opening the Master cylinder we can come to know whether it needs a new major kit or not, most probably it will -considering that piston cup it is a rubber item.

Are you free on Friday between 10:00am to 12:30pm ?

We have placed an order at Venkateshwara Hero, no ? He told that the panels will be available within 10 days. I think we forgot to confirm the order as we were talking about claiming insurance...
Cost Rs.(600 X 2 + 300 X 2) =~Rs.1800/-
Courier charges is news to me. I will call regional office tomorrow and arrange the panels for you.

HID kit without projectors is useless. On top of that, chinese HID kits are prone to failure.
Branded stuff will cost more than 5K.

Best option is to install 60/55W bulbs, there is no need to install any kind of relay.
If the battery is old then replacing with a 9AH battery along with some modification to battery cage to accommodate the battery is a good idea.
Old 7th November 2013, 00:36   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, the major kit does cost Rs.1100/- as the master cylinder and it's spares is imported. Some good quality aftermarket parts are available which we can use. Only upon opening the Master cylinder we can come to know whether it needs a new major kit or not, most probably it will -considering that piston cup it is a rubber item.
Will get the bike to your mechanic and he can honestly decide on what part needs replacement, accordingly we can purchase the same. No issues with that.

Quote:
Are you free on Friday between 10:00am to 12:30pm ?
Sorry as I am now working from 08:30 to 17:30. Can we do it on saturday evening or sunday?

Quote:
We have placed an order at Venkateshwara Hero, no ? He told that the panels will be available within 10 days. I think we forgot to confirm the order as we were talking about claiming insurance...
Cost Rs.(600 X 2 + 300 X 2) =~Rs.1800/-
Courier charges is news to me. I will call regional office tomorrow and arrange the panels for you.
M/s Venkateshwara agencies, Uppal (Near Heritage factory) had called me saying that the parts that we had enquired for are available with them and are asking me to pick it up.

This is the guy who called me up:

Mr. Sadanandam,
+91-8886990147

Quote:
HID kit without projectors is useless. On top of that, chinese HID kits are prone to failure.
Branded stuff will cost more than 5K.
Oh this is news! I will keep this on hold then.

Quote:
Best option is to install 60/55W bulbs, there is no need to install any kind of relay.
I have a 60/55W headlamp that is used in Maruti cars. Have an extra lying at home. Will try if I can use that or no. What if I install the same with a relay (safe side)?

Quote:
If the battery is old then replacing with a 9AH battery along with some modification to battery cage to accommodate the battery is a good idea.
The battery is new (around 2 or 3 months old). The problem due to low usage the battery is dead when taken out for the first time but after clocking some kms it gets charged and is fine.

Anurag.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:29   #69
BHPian

JUST FYI instead of ridiculously priced OEM frond disk brake pads, you can install TVS Apache RTR front brake pads. cost about 300-400/- straight fit.
I have been using these instead of OEM and I feel the bite has improved. Ladakh was done on same set and Dr. Arnob Gupta, first Indian to complete Saddle sore and Ironbutt, used them in his zma on those tours.

BTW your mech is trying to make more profit by selling you cheap HID kit. I'd look for different mechanic. after all trust is everything you got two warnings here, cheap HID kit and Duplicate 400 bucks mastercylinder major kit. wake up dude.

Before changing the kit, try this. worked for me, on my three bikes zma, R15 and P150
Using thinnest minus screwdriver slide back the rubber boot, spray ample amount of WD40 (or Zorrik88) using the red pipe thing. This lubrication should last you atleast 3-6 months (depending on the dust condition and condition of the rubber boot).

If this does not work, then replace the major kit. Just try, coz opening the major kit is a tedious job, the mechanic will definitely ruin the boot or the washer. also I hate to bleed it.

my mob1l3 no. is nine86nine two8zerofour double6
Old 8th November 2013, 23:04   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
JUST FYI instead of ridiculously priced OEM frond disk brake pads, you can install TVS Apache RTR front brake pads. cost about 300-400/- straight fit.
I had used these pads but the disc plate has got a lot more scratches on it after using the TVS ones. But the OEM didn't trouble much. Have you noticed the scratches on your disc plate?

Quote:
If this does not work, then replace the major kit.
One spares stockist says it costs 6000/-, the other says 1100/-.

I am confused and can someone help with the exact price and what does it contain? Any picture for my easy understanding?!

Had a problem with my Roots horn that I had installed when I had bought the bike. It was like a loose contact so went to my mechanic and asked to check. Problem was faulty wiring (too thin a wire it was). So opened up every thing and re-wired the whole thing with a new cut-out.

Installed LED Bulbs in the pilot lamps (Direct fit). Costed me 100 bucks totally for the bulbs. It is bright and looks good. Next install is 60/55W headlamp.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131108_210759.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-good.jpg

Specifications of the LED pilot lamps:
-> Type: T10
-> Each bulb has 10 SMD LEDs
-> Standard DC 12V
-> Light color: white
-> Light source: 1210 SMD

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 23:18   #71
BHPian

Yes, TVS brake pads are known to cause scratches when used only in Karizma.

Quote:
One spares stockist says it costs 6000/-, the other says 1100/-.
[Master cylinder assembly costs Rs.6000/-, master assembly repair kit/major kit costs Rs.1100/-

Quote:
I am confused and can someone help with the exact price and what does it contain? Any picture for my easy understanding?!
Price is 1100 and it contains everything that is necessary to re-build the master cylinder.

Last edited by interc00led : 8th November 2013 at 23:42. Reason: EDITED type of brake pad material.
Old 8th November 2013, 23:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using these instead of OEM and I feel the bite has improved. Ladakh was done on same set and Dr. Arnob Gupta, first Indian to complete Saddle sore and Ironbutt, used them in his zma on those tours.
Quote:
Yes, TVS brake pads are known to cause scratches when used only in Karizma. OE pads are expensive because of two reasons 1. It is imported and made by NISSIN 2. It is of sintered metal type.

[Master cylinder assembly costs Rs.6000/-, master assembly repair kit/major kit costs Rs.1100/-

Price is 1100 and it contains everything that is necessary to re-build the master cylinder.
Normal Nissin brake pads arent sintered metal ones. I have sued EBC HH Sintered brake pads on my ZMA and they were indeed wonderful brake pads, however they lasted me hardly 7K KMs. I have switched to RTR brake pads (MRP Rs 259) now until I get 2-3 more pairs of EBC pads from USA.

Seriously do not waste your time with the Nissin master cylinder. Junk it and get a bybre unit from a pulsar/discover/avenger/whatever.

Whoever says Master cylinder rebuild kit is 1100 has been conned. It costs Rs 516 MRP and comes with a new plunger along with all seals and boot, circlips as well. Even with new components it couldn't hold a candle against my 6 year old Pulsar KBX Master cylinder when used with the same hose/caliper/pad/rotor/tyre combination.

I have even experiemnted with brake pads from my NSR, which works as direct fit into the Karizma caliper. Even they are the same Nissin pads available in India. (KW6 = Honda NSR150SP)

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-img_20131108_232744.jpg

As far as headlight goes, I have a pair of morimoto projectors as well as 55W 4300K HIDs. I plan to put them on the bike next month, I'll update the thread when I do so.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 8th November 2013 at 23:40.
Old 8th November 2013, 23:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Normal Nissin brake pads arent sintered metal ones. I have sued EBC HH Sintered brake pads on my ZMA and they were indeed wonderful brake pads, however they lasted me hardly 7K KMs. I have switched to RTR brake pads now until I get 2-3 more pairs of EBC pads from USA.

Whoever says Master cylinder rebuild kit is 1100 has been conned. It costs Rs 516 and comes with a new plunger along with all seals and boot, circlips as well. Even with new components it couldn't hold a candle against my 6 year old Pulsar KBX Master cylinder when used with the same hose/caliper/pad/rotor/tyre combination.
My bad, OE brakes are not sintered. Ninja 250's front brake pads are direct fit to karizma and they are sintered.

I agree that the bite is sharp in kbx but how is the feedback ?

Are you sure OE Hero major kit for NISSIN master cylinder costs just Rs.516 ?

Last edited by interc00led : 9th November 2013 at 00:06.
Old 8th November 2013, 23:58   #74
BANNED

Quote:
[Master cylinder assembly costs Rs.6000/-, master assembly repair kit/major kit costs Rs. 1100/-
Oh. Thank you. Will go and get the master assemble repair kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Whoever says Master cylinder rebuild kit is 1100 has been conned. It costs Rs 516 MRP and comes with a new plunger along with all seals and boot, circlips as well.
This is surprising as I got their reply today morning for the costs. Will try and enquiring again.

Anurag.
Old 9th November 2013, 00:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that the bite is sharp in kbx but how is the feedback ?
Feedback is good when properly bled. Lever hardly moves when properly bled, but it is somewhat easy to modulate since feedback is excellent. I used to easily lock up my front brakes at 80KMPH with a Pulsar MC/P220 SS Braided hose/EBC HH Pads/New Zapper FV tyres. Ever since with RTR pads, brakes feel mushy and weak, wheels never lock up. Still its the same feel as with the stock Nissin brake pads.

Quote:
This is surprising as I got their reply today morning for the costs. Will try and enquiring again.
Please do. I bought the kit from a HH showroom and the price I mentioned is correct.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 9th November 2013 at 00:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks