Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 00:23   #76
BHPian

re: Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Feedback is good when properly bled. Lever hardly moves when properly bled, but it is somewhat easy to modulate since feedback is excellent. I used to easily lock up my front brakes at 80KMPH with a Pulsar MC/P220 SS Braided hose/EBC HH Pads/New Zapper FV tyres. Ever since with RTR pads, brakes feel mushy and weak, wheels never lock up. Still its the same feel as with the stock Nissin brake pads.

Please do. I bought the kit from a HH showroom and the price I mentioned is correct.
So, were you able to sense when the wheel is about to lock ?
I have always felt KBX(used in pulsars) to have negligible feedback whereas the KBX brakes used in FZ had both feedback and bite.

IMHO, after rebuilding the m/c and by replacing the pads with Ninja's sintered brake pads (which cost ~ Rs.100/- more than ZMA's), the braking will definitely improve.

When did you purchase the kit ?
Old 9th November 2013, 00:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
So, were you able to sense when the wheel is about to lock ?
I have always felt KBX(used in pulsars) to have negligible feedback whereas the KBX brakes used in FZ had both feedback and bite.

IMHO, after rebuilding the m/c and by replacing the pads with Ninja's sintered brake pads (which cost ~ Rs.100/- more than ZMA's), the braking will definitely improve.

When did you purchase the kit ?
Nope. No indication from brake lever when wheels lock. After couple of wheel locks, you tend to understand what is the braking limit and brake accordingly.

Using Ninja's sintered pads should improve braking all by itself. MC upgrade should make it better

My RX has been running a Pulsar brake setup since the last 7.5 years. I upgraded the MC from an Aprilia RS125 and then moved the old MC onto the ZMA.
Old 9th November 2013, 23:51   #78
BANNED

UPDATE!

1) Tyres:

As the front tyre was not gripping and make sounds under hard braking, I felt the need to change the tyres. So went to the guy I purchase tyres and got my Karizma R a new set of shoes.

Look at those cracks on the tyres all over it. On the main rib, on threads and on the side wall. Didn't want any nasty accident in emergency situation so just changed both. The Michelin M45 (110/90 x 18) still had a little bit of life left but I have seen a bit of uneven wear and does skid under hard braking.

Old Front:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-old-front.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-old-front-1.jpg

Old Rear:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-old-rear.jpg

Front - 2.75 x 18 - Michelin Sirac Street
MFD Code: 3113. It means manufactured on the 31st week of 2013.

New Front:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-new-front.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-new-front-1.jpg

Rear - 100/90 x 18 - Michelin Sirac Street
MFD Code: 2913. It means manufactured on the 29th week of 2013.

New Rear:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-new-rear.jpg

Initial Feel:

It is grippy and the bike feels tight overall. The front handle has a feeling like it is jammed and the free movement is not there. Will update once time progresses. No high speeding and emergency stops as the tyre is new and needs time to bed-in a bit.

Cost:

Front: Rs 1500
Rear: Rs 2000

Total: 3500.

Old tyres buy back - Rs 500

Net Amount - Rs 3000/-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Master Cylinder kit - Repaired

It is not OEM but some company as I wanted to get this issue solved temporarily till the OEM is available. The brakes now feel like when the bike was new.

Cost: Rs 190.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) 60/55W - Osram Bilux H4

It is a nice upgrade and feels good. The throw of the beam is bright and the overall light is Sharper.

Cost: Rs 80.

Overall now the bike is back in form and feels new. Just need to give it a proper wash and polish.

PS: A BIG Thanks to interc00led for accompanying me to his friendly mechanic who has done a wonderful job. Thanks a lot buddy for the help and time taken.

&

Thanks to Sunnyboi & Motionfreak for helping me on everything offline too.
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th November 2013 at 23:53.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 01:10   #79
BANNED

Attaching a few pictures post the head lamp bulb upgrade from 35/35W to 60/55W - Osram Bilux H4

1) Pilot Lamps - LED

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131110_192722_lls.jpg

2) Low Beam:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131110_192741_lls.jpg

3) High beam:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131110_192922_lls.jpg

Overall the headlight has a good spread on the low beam and the high beam is focused and straight. Will need a bit adjustment to the level.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 21:24   #80
BANNED

Had a bizarre incident with me on my Karizma today.

A Blackout for the bike is what I can say!

After a 200 kms ride today when I was riding it again the bike was behaving fine. After I completed my work and on the way back home I started the bike and rode for another 6 kms, stopped the bike at a signal and switched the engine OFF as the signal was 85 seconds on RED.

At 15 seconds left I turned the key ON - The instrumentation cluster was blank. Tried using the horn, flashers - that did not work either. Was shocked to see this as the bike was normal till then. Switched the bike OFF and switched it ON after 15 minutes but still no use.

Tried using the kick starter and the bike started but ALL the electricals failed including the ES. Had to ride back home cautiously and slowly as I was not able to see anything and moreover it was dangerous for the other road users who were not able to notice me and to my bad luck (partially) I just saved my leg from an RTC bus who came too close to me as he did not notice me at the signal.

Reached home somehow and opened the fuse box as it was clear that the fuse was blown, just wanted to know which one that was - Stop,Turn Meter (15A Fuse)

Here it is:

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131215_195036.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131215_195101.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131215_195119.jpg

No spare fuse too (Just noticed it):
Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20131215_195024.jpg

Will buy one tomorrow and fix this ASAP. Can anyone tell me the reason for this failure?

I have Osram Bilux 60/55W headlamp (1 month old) installed without relay and Roots horns with relay (4 years old) on the bike. Could the headlamp be the reason for this failure or is it something related to the stop/turn meter only?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 16:48   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Had a bizarre incident with me on my Karizma today.

A Blackout for the bike is what I can say!

After a 200 kms ride today when I was riding it again the bike was behaving fine. After I completed my work and on the way back home I started the bike and rode for another 6 kms, stopped the bike at a signal and switched the engine OFF as the signal was 85 seconds on RED.

At 15 seconds left I turned the key ON - The instrumentation cluster was blank. Tried using the horn, flashers - that did not work either. Was shocked to see this as the bike was normal till then. Switched the bike OFF and switched it ON after 15 minutes but still no use.

Tried using the kick starter and the bike started but ALL the electricals failed including the ES. Had to ride back home cautiously and slowly as I was not able to see anything and moreover it was dangerous for the other road users who were not able to notice me and to my bad luck (partially) I just saved my leg from an RTC bus who came too close to me as he did not notice me at the signal.

Reached home somehow and opened the fuse box as it was clear that the fuse was blown, just wanted to know which one that was - Stop,Turn Meter (15A Fuse)

Here it is:

Attachment 1178980

Attachment 1178981

Attachment 1178982

No spare fuse too (Just noticed it):
Attachment 1178983

Will buy one tomorrow and fix this ASAP. Can anyone tell me the reason for this failure?

I have Osram Bilux 60/55W headlamp (1 month old) installed without relay and Roots horns with relay (4 years old) on the bike. Could the headlamp be the reason for this failure or is it something related to the stop/turn meter only?

Anurag.
Use relay for high wattage bulb or replace the fuse with 20A if you are sure that stock wiring can handle the load of high wattage bulb. Also keep few fuses in stock.
Old 31st December 2013, 17:50   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Use relay for high wattage bulb or replace the fuse with 20A if you are sure that stock wiring can handle the load of high wattage bulb. Also keep few fuses in stock.
I have bought 3 fuses and kept as spare.

Shall add a relay for the headlamp

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st December 2013 at 17:51.
Old 10th January 2014, 22:21   #83
BHPian

Hi Anurag,

I've been running a 55/60 setup on my Karizma since 2006. No relay or wiring harness used. The bike still runs fine and there is no damage to the reflector as well.

While addind a relay and harness is recommended, I would say take the time and go through the electrical system thoroughly. Check for shorts, burnt wiring etc. I honestly do not think its the higher wattage bulb that's causing the issue.

However, during installation, maybe wiring could've been damaged, moved or stretched and are shorting now.

Oh and I have a set of twin tone roots with relay.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I have bought 3 fuses and kept as spare.

Shall add a relay for the headlamp

Anurag.
Old 23rd January 2014, 02:31   #84
BANNED

After the blackout problem that I had faced due to the failing of the 15A fuse, now I have another problem with my Karizma.

Picture 1:
Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20140120_205124.jpg

Picture 2:
Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-20140120_2051370.jpg

In the 'Picture 1' - This was happening when the headlights were being switched ON but it was not happening. The pilot lamps and the whole instrumentation console goes a bit dim and as seen in the picture the high beam light and both indicator lights come ON. Horn and Tail lamps are fine though indicators come ON but done keep blinking.

In the 'Picture 2' - This is only when the indicators are trying to be used. NO headlamps are ON but the pilot lamps are ON here. Same issue of high beam light and both indicator lights come ON here too.

In both cases the engine is running as seen in the picture.

---------------------------

Solution found by me:

The whole of the wiring that come from the headlamps + pilot lamps + both indicators merge into 1 connector that is inter-connected to the switchgear on the handlebar has a problem - A loose connection.

Now I visited 3 spare dealers and all have to say only one thing - "Buy the whole headlamp assemble and indicator set along with the dome which includes the wiring kit" Costs could be nearing 2K.

They say the wiring kit is not available outside as such OR go to any second-hand dealer/accident vehicle wiring can be picked up and replaced on my bike.

Now can someone help me out here?!

To keep the problem short: The main problem is in that connector so I need the wiring also to get the whole set-up right and to prevent further aggravation and repentance.

Anurag.
Old 24th April 2015, 21:18   #85
BANNED

Reviving my own bike thread after a very long time. Been almost 6 years since I have had this beauty.

Need help /suggestions from fellow BHPians:

2009-2013 : Amco (OEM) battery 7Ah.

2013-2015 : Exide battery 7Ah.

Now the Exide too has died forcing me to use the kick starter always.

Volt meter reading :

Ignition ON: 12.11V
Electric Starter pressed : 2.78V

I am thinking to get Amaron installed by the problem is the 9Ah battery doesn't fit in the battery box.

Can someone guide me what needs to be done to get this 9Ah battery installed on my bike?! Need to modify the box..

Thanks guys.
Old 25th April 2015, 08:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am thinking to get Amaron installed by the problem is the 9Ah battery doesn't fit in the battery box.

Can someone guide me what needs to be done to get this 9Ah battery installed on my bike?! Need to modify the box..

Thanks guys.
I got an Exide Maintenance free 9Ah battery put in my ZMA 4 days ago.

The battery box needs some hits with the hammer and it will accommodate the bigger battery. The clamp securing the battery must be bent at 90* as per the dimension of the new battery. The screw mount can be bent and secured using a longer screw. I didn't need to make any camps for my bike.
SunnyBoi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 17:34   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

I got an Exide Maintenance free 9Ah battery put in my ZMA 4 days ago.

The battery box needs some hits with the hammer and it will accommodate the bigger battery. The clamp securing the battery must be bent at 90* as per the dimension of the new battery. The screw mount can be bent and secured using a longer screw. I didn't need to make any camps for my bike.
Than you SunnyBoi, shall get the battery box made for the Amaron 9Ah one.
Old 15th May 2015, 09:33   #88
BANNED

Parts issue - Update,

Have complaint at Hero motors head office regarding lack of parts availability for the Karizma R.

Been running around their showrooms and parts stockists all over Hyderabad but no use, all say the same as they aren't receiving parts.

Post my complaint, I received a call from Mody Motors, Ranigunj the same evening. Took my bike there, spoke to the parts manager.

He noted down the parts I needed and ordered the same online. He has quoted 6 to 8 days for the parts to arrive. I'll be called once the parts arrive so that I can collect them.

Parts ordered:

1) Left side cover A & B (Air filter side);
2) Right side cover A & B (Battery side);
3) Left side rear cowl;
4) Right side rear cowl;
5) Cowl above tail lamp;
6) Stickers (Karizma) and
7) Battery box.

All these above parts are coming to approximately 6000.

I am planning to get them fit myself and give the bike an overhaul with the help of BHPian interc00led'. Hopefully he'll be free and help me out.

Post receiving the battery box, will be modifying it for fitting Amaron 9Ah battery.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th May 2015 at 09:45.
Old 18th May 2015, 13:50   #89
BANNED

Post following up regularly with these guys @ Mody Motors, Ranigunj, they seem to be of NO help at all to source these parts listed above for which they placed an order online.

Not sure what is wrong with Hero Motor Corp and it's team. Why call a person to their dealership, enquire, get the complaint details from my mouth, order the parts online and give a false commitment of trying to source parts in 6 to 8 days and later on saying "Saar we are not getting parts and not sure when we'll get!"

Utterly disappointed here.

Any high level contacts where I can shoot a mail to get hold of parts? Can't be driving with cracked panels.

Quote:
Parts issue - Update,

Have complaint at Hero motors head office regarding lack of parts availability for the Karizma R.
Old 21st May 2015, 08:51   #90
BANNED

Quoting my own post regarding the lack of spares for Karizma R (Mainly body/fibre parts). After a couple of email exchanges and calls, yesterday I received a call from Mody Motors asking me to collect them.

Quote:
Parts issue - Update.

He noted down the parts I needed and ordered the same online. He has quoted 6 to 8 days for the parts to arrive. I'll be called once the parts arrive so that I can collect them.
Quote:
Post following up regularly with these guys @ Mody Motors, Ranigunj, they seem to be of NO help at all to source these parts listed above for which they placed an order online.
The final bill has come up to Rs 5226. Here's the bill and have the same data on excel date as many would find it difficult to read and understand the brochure.

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-img_20150520_212908.jpg

Long Term Ownership Report – Hero Honda Karizma. EDIT: Sold!-untitled.jpg

Shall be fitting them today and will update the later on along with a general service to the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks