Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgrading from a P150. What bike for <1L INR?

I am in market for a new bike. I am 6ft in height and of medium frame. I currently ride a '04 P150, 42k kms and I am very happy with it.
I want to replace it due to some reason unavoidable.

My running needs are 20-30kms daily within B'lore city(can go upto 60-70kms on some days) and occassional highway trips of 250+kms per day.

I am looking at

- a comfortable bike with a good seating posture(my tall stance gives me backache on quite some bikes, though my P150 meets these requirements)

- good acceleration and decent top speed(better than P150 and stress-free cruising at 80-100kmph is sufficient). I probably won't go beyond.

- Decent to maintain(my P150 has always been very easy on pocket) and very reliable. I should not be stranded anywhere.

- Should be vibe-free as vibrations tend to tire us out over long distances.

- FE of 35+ kmpl(my P150 has returned 50kmpl within city and 60+ on highway till date. Shouldn't be drastically low as it will impact my mindset).

- Should be within my budget of 1Lakh INR. Cannot be stretched.

I am considering the following:

1) P180- It fits my requirement completely but the grouse that I have is it a dated product(but tried and tested as well) and might be upgraded sometime soon. Also I might get bored of the minor power upgrade very soon and look for another upgrade. Although I have ridden it and it is comfortable.

2) P200NS- Very tempting and alluring and also fits most of my requirements but I am yet to test-ride it and also being a new product, dunno about it its niggles. Also the delivery is getting delayed where as I need the bike in 20-25 days max. Is it worth waiting and considering?

3) P220F- I am not a big fan of the fairing and also don't like rattles in my bike after a year or two. If I or any of my friends ever manage to fall the bike and damage the fairing then I will be looking at expenses above 7k INR.
But the sheer acceleration is delicious and if 220S was available it would have been a no brainer.

4) Apache 180- Friends are cajolling me to come out of the Pulsar territory and look elsewhere. Outside, I feel only Apache seems worthy but I am skeptical after reading about some electrical failure(LCD speedo,horn etc?) and engine problems. Also the vibrations are a total no-no for me. I haven't ridden one(160/180) yet.

PS:
- I have ridden a R15 and never liked it as it was very cramped and also lightweight. The rear seat is also not to my taste .

- I don't like the design of the Duke 200(impractical rear seat).

- ZMR design is also a put off and I feel it is overpriced.

Due to the above reasons, I didn't think of exceeding my budget for the above bikes.

Am I missing out any other good bike? Guys please help me out with your suggestions.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a P150. What bike for <1L INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am looking at

- a comfortable bike with a good seating posture(my tall stance gives me backache on quite some bikes, though my P150 meets these requirements)

- good acceleration and decent top speed(better than P150 and stress-free cruising at 80-100kmph is sufficient). I probably won't go beyond.

- Decent to maintain(my P150 has always been very easy on pocket) and very reliable. I should not be stranded anywhere.
Doesn't the baby ceeber fit your bill here precisely? Considering your requirements - comfort, confidence, posture.. I doubt anything in this price range beats the ceeber 250. It's a Honda after all.

I would have recommended a Bullet - but with waiting periods extending from 6-12 months, STAY AWAY!
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Doesn't the baby ceeber fit your bill here precisely? Considering your requirements - comfort, confidence, posture.. I doubt anything in this price range beats the ceeber 250. It's a Honda after all.

I would have recommended a Bullet - but with waiting periods extending from 6-12 months, STAY AWAY!
But the CBR250 costs double my budget and I don't feel like spending 2L INR on a bike right now. May be 5 years down the line, things may change and I might consider it as the next upgrade.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
But the CBR250 costs double my budget and I don't feel like spending 2L INR on a bike right now. May be 5 years down the line, things may change and I might consider it as the next upgrade.
Have you considered the Karizma? For reliability, I think the Zma socres over the P220 any day. But then again, the fairing is an issue which is a risk in case of any bike isnt it? Trust you won't fall it while you ride responsibly.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- FE of 35+ kmpl(my P150 has returned 50kmpl within city and 60+ on highway till date. Shouldn't be drastically low as it will impact my mindset).

I am considering the following:

2) P200NS- Very tempting and alluring and also fits most of my requirements but I am yet to test-ride it and also being a new product, dunno about it its niggles. Also the delivery is getting delayed where as I need the bike in 20-25 days max. Is it worth waiting and considering?
With a budget fixed at a max of 1L, there is no better bike than the 200NS. It meets all of your listed criteria, with two exceptions:

1. Comfort: Depends from person to person, and you will have to test ride it to discover whether or not it suits you

2. Maintenance/Reliability: Since the bike is new, one will not be able to say with certainty that it is going to be reliable. It also depends on your experience with the service centre you currently frequent, and if they know you well you will probably continue to have a good experience as with your P150

The Duke is a good option at 30k extra, and what you get for the 30k is certainly a lot, so you could also consider that if your budget is slightly elastic. There isn't that long a waiting period for it either (I think??).
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Have you considered the Karizma? For reliability, I think the Zma socres over the P220 any day. But then again, the fairing is an issue which is a risk in case of any bike isnt it? Trust you won't fall it while you ride responsibly.
I have had a 3 accidents in my 10 yr bike riding stint of which 2 were while I was learning to ride and 1 thereafter in the last 9 yrs. And never did the bike fall down. But I can't guarantee when my friends/collegues borrow my bike. I have seen several P220/'Zma/R15 with broken fairing and owners not replacing them and I don't like it.

Secondly, I like the 'Zma R(old one) but the vehicle loses its sheen quite fast(the panels start rattling and the black parts look dull and weird) and have also heard of expensive maintenance. The bike also feels dated.

I don't like the looks of 'Zma ZMR and also feel that it is very over priced.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think the Pulsar 200Ns is probably the best option out there. Heard its an absolutely cracker of a product. I wouldn't worry too much about niggles. They've been handling the pulsar range itself for long enough.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:33   #8
BHPian

For a 6 foot guy who is into touring he needs:
1) A spacious bike.
2) Good comfort.
3) Vibration free engine.
4)Good seating posture read- no sporty riding posture to give backaches or wrist pains.
5) Broad good quality tyres to give good grip on road.
6) Smooth- Non harsh sound of the bike.
7) Place to attach luggage for touring.
8) Should be able to take up moderate off-roading for indian conditions.
The same bike can be used for incity touring if its weight is not a hurdle.
Looking at the above aspects and 1 lakh budget no other bike will come close to 200 NS. No fairing, cheaper parts, moderate reliability, good seating posture- touring posture, vibe free and smooth engine, the best gear shifts for a bike below 1 lakh.Brakes are awesome,handling good, big fat tyres for extra grip. I just had a short test drive yesterday but was amazed with the package.
No other bike fits your bill in the 1 lakh bracket. Other good bike above 1 lakh bracket would be RE Bullet minus the weight and reliability factor.
Old 24th July 2012, 02:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at

Have you considered the Yamaha FZ-S ? It provides a very comfy posture to ride on and the recent upgrade given with lengthier pillion seat, minor tweaks make it the "Best premium 150cc Commuter in India for now within 1 lac".

Super refined engine, mileage 40+ kmpl when ridden hard and not conscious about mileage, easy cruising till 105kmph after which it loses steam, no vibrations what so ever, Amazing radial tyres and mono shocks provide awesome handling. Yamaha has ironed out any issues and niggles if ever as the product is tried and tested.

The bike now gets a longer and wider pillion seat with new grab rails. A new chain protector has been added too.

Old 24th July 2012, 08:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Clearly the pulsar 200NS is the best pick for you. I have driven that beast so can ensure you that there is no bike in this price range which can offer better acceleration than the 200NS. And since you have owned a pulsar before too so you might be having that faith for reliability in the Pulsar brand.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

What about the CBR150? I dont know the cost of the same, but should be around 1L. Besides this, P200NS suits your requirements pretty well, but having rode a P150 till now, would you like to continue with another Pulsar or would you want to experience something different? I would suggest looking at the Yamaha FZ series bikes.

*EDIT*: Why are the below tags getting appended to my post? Its not getting removed either.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:42. Reason: Removed Tags
Old 24th July 2012, 09:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

CBR-150R costs Aaprox 1.25L OTR. Which makes the 250R a deal, though the FE figs differ by almost 15KMPL.

Am yet to ride the P-200NS as the dealer here has been promised August dates by BAL.

Though have a test-ride and see if you like it. It is the hottest thing @ 1Lac at the moment.

Give the Yamaha FZ a shot too. You might actually like it.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:02   #13
BHPian

Ashis, You have mentioned you want a vibe free engine/bike. That would mean choosing the Karizma R, FZ over the present gen Pulsars and for sure the Apache.
But both the above bikes will give you only 35-40 kms under normal conditions and sometimes even worse. If you can live with that, the FZ and Zma are very good options.

Like you I used to have a 04 Pulsar DTs i till very recently. I have now shifted to a Zma and I feel it was a good move.(yes, I used to get 50 kmpl on the Pulsar and only about 35-40 on my Zma, pinches the wallet a bit, but worth it.).

But now that the new Pulsar 200NS has been released, I would say wait for it, test ride and if its fine, just get one!
bmw_m5_titus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Have you considered the Yamaha FZ-S ? It provides a very comfy posture to ride on and the recent upgrade given with lengthier pillion seat, minor tweaks make it the "Best premium 150cc Commuter in India for now within 1 lac".....

Super refined engine, mileage 40+ kmpl
I have ridden the FZ-S and frankly I didn't quite like the bike, the connection to heart was missing. Also I don't like the all digital meter console. Another downer is several reports of abmysal mileage of 25-30KMPL acheived by some of my friends. And on top of that, the chain and rear tyre needing replacement in 15k-20k kms doesn't help.

I would have overlooked the FE concerns and maintenance issues but for the fact that my Pulsar was leagues ahead of it. When I buy the FZ, I might end up being disappointed with the bike, which is not good. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Clearly the pulsar 200NS is the best pick for you.... And since you have owned a pulsar before too so you might be having that faith for reliability in the Pulsar brand.
I do have faith in the Pulsar brand and this is the 3rd BAJAJ bike in my house(after the 1st gen Caliber and the Caliber 115) and that speaks something.

But Bajaj has introduced some new techs in the P200NS, such as the 6-speed GB, triple spark engine. In the past, several of its new techs,though advanced, were prone to failure(remember the 2-speed/3-speed auto GBs in Spirit/Saffire, the 4s Chetak/Legend,etc) and I am just skeptical about this and would have been happy if the NS were launched a few months back and was tested extensively.

[quote=_raVan_;2849322]What about the CBR150? I dont know the cost of the same, but should be around 1L. Besides this, P200NS suits your requirements pretty well, but having rode a P150 till now, would you like to continue with another Pulsar or would you want to experience something different? I would suggest looking at the Yamaha FZ series bikes.
quote]

I have faith in the Pulsar brand and would gladly continue with it if I am provided with a good product.

Regarding the FZ, I have stated my opinion above why I didn't consider it. Please correct me if I am wrong and I will consider the FZ too.

CBR150 is way beyond my budget, it comes to around 1.4L INR on-road and is not VFM. One should 30-40k extra and get its bigger sibling 250R.

150R missing out on an engine kill switch and there is no HI-BEAM flasher in a bike that costs 1.4L,not acceptable IMO.
The low-end torque is also very poor and it will be difficult to ride in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
CBR-150R costs Aaprox 1.25L OTR. Which makes the 250R a deal, though the FE figs differ by almost 15KMPL.
150R is almost 1.4L OTR AFAIK and is not VFM. Indeed 250R is much better.

I am yet to check out the NS. Will do so and then take a call.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:40   #15
BHPian

I do understand your skepticism but several of their( bajajs) newer tech has also turned out to be good. Wasnt your dtsi an improvement over the older model? Bajaj bikes have been getting better esp the engine part. Sure they have quality related niggles w.r.t some gadgetry like lcd consoles, tail light led strips. But the best part is the new P200 seems to have addressed the main shortcoming of the older Pulsars, primarily the vague handling!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks